• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Island Kahuna is Born! Ash's Grand Trial!! (1052)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
it's not the worst battle ash has ever had, but it's not the best either, he's had worse offenses than this.

I'm more miffed about Tectonic Rage not being showcased right, but I should've seen that coming.

Can one of the mods help me figure out two scenes since I know trusting random subs is trouble.

1. what did rotom say after Mudsdale got wet?

2. what did Hapu say during the post credit's scene?

andrewscott48209

it's not the worst battle ash has ever had, but it's not the best either, he's had worse offenses than this.

I'm more miffed about Tectonic Rage not being showcased right, but I should've seen that coming.

Can one of the mods help me figure out two scenes since I know trusting random subs is trouble.

1. what did rotom say after Mudsdale got wet?

2. what did Hapu say during the post credit's scene?
On the first question, Rotom said that the way that Ash used the water to splash all over Mudsdale had the effect of soak which turned Mudsdale into a water type. I didn't watch the post credits scene yet. So I can't answer that.

p96822

Evolve me please
Rotom said "That because of the sea water, it's like getting hit by Soak" So I guess this is a new thing about Ground types that is gonna be a thing. Even though that doesn't make a lick of sense when there Pokemon like Gastrodon, Swampert and Quagsire that have water type. I still think how Ash won this was kind of dumb. I think Rowlet should have taken this battle instead of Pikachu. I think the better way of beating her would have been Ash using Iron Tail and Quick Attack

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I think Rowlet should have taken this battle instead of Pikachu.

if he had used Rowlet, then Hapu would've probably been given some form of type manipulation advantage due to Rowlet being a flying type, which is no better than letting Ash get away with it.

and assuming they didn't do it.

Both of Mudsdale's ground moves, and tectonic rage would've been sealed, and Double Kick would've been resisted, meaning the only attack that would've actually hurt Rowlet was Stomp, therefore all Rowlet would've logically had to have done was fly in the air and pelt mudsdale with leafage and Seed Bomb until it was in range for a bloom doom, and there would be nothing mudsdale could do to retaliate, essentially making It a one sided slaughter.

That's not an interesting battle to invision, no matter how much you hate how this fight went down what we got was more interesting than that, because Ash had to use skill and improvise, rather than just go for brute force.

Of course i'm not saying this is his best work, far from it, but i'll accept it.

ShadowForce720

if he had used Rowlet, then Hapu would've probably been given some form of type manipulation advantage due to Rowlet being a flying type, which is no better than letting Ash get away with it.

and assuming they didn't do it.

Both of Mudsdale's ground moves, and tectonic rage would've been sealed, and Double Kick would've been resisted, meaning the only attack that would've actually hurt Rowlet was Stomp, therefore all Rowlet would've logically had to have done was fly in the air and pelt mudsdale with leafage and Seed Bomb until it was in range for a bloom doom, and there would be nothing mudsdale could do to retaliate, essentially making It a one sided slaughter.

That's not an interesting battle to invision, no matter how much you hate how this fight went down what we got was more interesting than that, because Ash had to use skill and improvise, rather than just go for brute force.

Of course i'm not saying this is his best work, far from it, but i'll accept it.

The problem here is your assuming that if Mudsdale had faced Rowlet that it's move set would have been the exact same which isn't a safe bet to make considering the fact that before this battle we only ever saw Mudsdale use Highhorse Power so if Mudsdale had faced Rowlet here they could have easily replaced Mudsdale's other 3 moves with a different set of moves, and no they would not have to give Hapu some sort of type manipulation advantage because all she would have to do is have Mudsdale knocked down Rowlet with a move like Rock Slide or Rock Tomb and then she would be able to hit Rowlet with a Ground type move while it's on the ground.

Because it's been shown before that the only reason why Flying types are immune to Ground type moves is because they are usually out of reach the move to where the move doesn't connect with them, for instance it makes since that a move that is stuck on the ground like Bulldoze wouldn't be able to damage a pokemon that is not touching the ground however, if Rowlet is on the Ground then there is no reason why Bulldoze wouldn't do damage to Rowlet.

Basically it's been proven before that if a Ground type move actually makes contact with the Flying type pokemon that it will actually do damage, unlike the situation with Fairy type pokemon that are immune to Dragon type attacks even if the Dragon type attacks hits it.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
So, according to the extra scenes, Hapu have a thing for Ash now. Oh, Lord, damn tsunderes...
They miss the bustle and hustle of all the classmates, not just Ash specifically

-
Also, it's hilarious that Rotom specifically points out that the water Mudsdale got hit by was saltwater, because it doesn't conduct electricity as well as freshwater

So, much like Pikachu not even feeling the impact of Tectonic Rage, I suspect had it not tanked half a dozen Quick Attacks and Iron Tails beforehand, Mudsdale would have shrugged off Gigavolt Havoc

ShadowForce720

They miss the bustle and hustle of all the classmates, not just Ash specifically

-
Also, it's hilarious that Rotom specifically points out that the water Mudsdale got hit by was saltwater, because it doesn't conduct electricity as well as freshwater

So, much like Pikachu not even feeling the impact of Tectonic Rage, I suspect had it not tanked half a dozen Quick Attacks and Iron Tails beforehand, Mudsdale would have shrugged off Gigavolt Havoc

Actually it's the other way around Seawater is good at conducting electricity because it has salt in it, fresh water on the other hand because it lacks the salt is not really a good conductor of Electricity.

XXD17

Draco rex
Ignoring how bad the battle was, since apparently Ash cheated.......oh sorry the writers decided to purely use ANIME only mechanics to allow Ash to win this battle.

Can we talk about how cool it is, that apparently (based on the images), Ash (or Pikachu) was allowed to actually choose a Z-crystal for winning. That I think was at least the best part of the episode, that I could see.

Anime mechanics or not, there should've been NO WAY that would've worked.

Why?

Water/ground type Pokemon EXIST. There's no reason to believe that a Pokemon "naturally soaked" would've somehow overridden an existing type.

There is a reason why "Soak" is a Pokemon move, or in fact in reference to an ability. It makes sense for a Pokemon move to temporarily override a Pokemon's type, since the entire "soak" move is about oversaturating the Pokemon with water so it becomes the water type.

Don't think it's "fair" to argue a ground type taking a swim qualifies it as a water type and therefore weak against electricity.

Especially with a Pokemon like Stunfisk, which has to SPECIFICALLY use camoflauge to actually change its type.

This, is just a stupid justification for a stupid outcome for a stupid battle, because they either didn't want to give Pikachu Splishy Splash and because they insist on shoving Pikachu down the viewer's throats as per usual, but not in any meaningful way, you know like it's specialized Z-move, what we can't get a story about that? We have to deal with it being used constantly with no reason then they have nothing better to write about.

It's getting annoying, and I only tolerated it SOLELY because of its exclusive Z-move, because I thought it was REALLY neat that only Ash's Pikachu can use its exclusive Z-move, as it was made just for them. Instead we get Gigavolt Havoc after another, and just unnecessary Pikachu focus for no reason other than because the writers are incapable of writing for the other Pokemon (possibly), or they just care (which I'm leaning towards to, given how the series has been portrayed as a whole).

So I take it Nanu is Ash's best Grand Trial, maybe tied with Olivia? Because this wasn't even anything but a random episode, where Ash gets a steel type z-crystal.

Meh. The only reason I will give this a pass is because it's worked before. It's exactly how Pikachu beat onix. He set off the sprinklers, got onyx wet and weakened and was able to shock it.

Agstrek

This isn't that bad of an episode, but I still think that it should've been a two parter. The inauguration ceremony was fine but a bit longer would've been better. Nice to see Non Ash slapstic humor for a change and Sophocles sure does know Ash a lot.

The battle while underwhelming has a few fun strategies, beyond that it was repetitive and ended too quickly. I would've liked Ash to plan the strategy from the start. The way he won was lame, but they atleast bothered to give an explanation. I liked how everyone were impressed by Ash. The post credit scene was cute. I'd give this episode a 6/10.

Hanto

Water Addiction
How Pikachu survived a bunch of powerful ground type moves, especially the Tectonic Rage? Golurk knocked him out with one High Horsepower

Xuxuba

People are gonna defend Pikachu being able to shock Mudsdale by saying "but it also worked in Brock's gym!" and I can't understand that quite ridicilious argument.

Yeah it did...but that battle was also crap because of that and that doesn't change the fact it happened now again. That's no excuse.

Also spending so much time for unnecessary things is also ridicilious, even more if you think about it being pretty much the equivalent of the 8th gym battle and it being a 1vs1 only.

Tbh the battles feels like it could've been a gym battle from Kanto. And that's saying a lot.
Pretty much. Not to mention it's unoriginal.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Arguing about anime-only techniques usage aside, yeah, the battle wasn't that good
Ash using Pikachu vs Mudsdale(and without the "iron tail on foot" technique I was expecting) was early BW Ash tier of nonsense
It would make the battle even more easier and maybe that's why they didn't used him, but Rowlet would have stomped the Mudsdale. His plant moves are physical but being immune to ground would make him able to spit Everstone Bomb at him until it breaks

JC317

I just realized Ash went into the Grand Trial with Electrium Z equipped, meaning he never intended to use Breakneck Blitz in this battle...

At least he didn't try changing Z Crystals in the middle of battle again, don't want fat fingers here fumbling around and dropping Z Crystals again

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I just realized Ash went into the Grand Trial with Electrium Z equipped, meaning he never intended to use Breakneck Blitz in this battle...
Yet his whole "I can use the water to invoke the same effect that the attack Soak does!" strategy is framed as something he came up with on the fly mid-battle...
Yeah this battle does not do his character any favors for anyone like me who wants to present the argument that he's actually competent... Nor does it do much to convey any sense that he's grown over the course of the past 109 episodes... Nor does it feel like a very suitable climax for what is essentially the Gym challenge of this region...

I mean I like Sun & Moon as a whole but this episode's pretty hard to defend.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Because it's been shown before that the only reason why Flying types are immune to Ground type moves is because they are usually out of reach the move to where the move doesn't connect with them, for instance it makes since that a move that is stuck on the ground like Bulldoze wouldn't be able to damage a pokemon that is not touching the ground however, if Rowlet is on the Ground then there is no reason why Bulldoze wouldn't do damage to Rowlet.

Basically it's been proven before that if a Ground type move actually makes contact with the Flying type pokemon that it will actually do damage, unlike the situation with Fairy type pokemon that are immune to Dragon type attacks even if the Dragon type attacks hits it.

So this is perfectly fine even though it clearly violates game mechanics, yet what Ash did is apparently the biggest offense ever? That's what i'm not getting here.

Either way i'm tired of arguing over this episode, I agree that it's not the best battle Ash has ever had but at least there was some degree of innovation on his part which is the reason I find it tolerable.

Only thing I still want to know is what Hapu said during the end scene, cause it sounded to me like she was denying being lonely, I didn't hear Ash brought up specifically.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Only thing I still want to know is what Hapu said during the end scene, cause it sounded to me like she was denying being lonely, I didn't hear Ash brought up specifically.
You heard right. She said that it felt like the silence after a storm had passed, Joy was like "Oh, feeling lonely already?" and she was like "NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT."