• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Island Kahuna is Born! Ash's Grand Trial!! (1052)

Red and Blue

Boy, it's gonna suck when Meltan is the only one who gets to use the Steel-Z
And why is that a problem?

Aside from Pikachu none of his other Pokemon know any Steel type moves.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked the ceremony at the Ruins of the Other Side when Hapu'u officially became the Poni Island Kahuna, especially the scene where Kaki scolded Rotom for taking pictures. I enjoyed Satoshi versus Hapu'u for the most part, even though Banbadoro losing to Pikachu felt a bit cheap because of the seawater. But at least Satoshi attained the Steelium Z at the end.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I liked how Hapu offered Ash a choice of Z Crystals as opposed to just giving him the ground type one which would have been so obvious. The match itself was okay except for the fact that ordinary water was suddenly Mudsdale's kryptonite.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Now that all the Kahuna battles have happened, here's my ranking of them:

4. Ash vs Hala
3. Ash vs Hapu
2. Ash vs Olivia
1. Ash vs Nanu

Vipsoccermaster

Fine battle. Nice that Ash let Pikachu choose the Z-Crystal, in which Pikachu chose Steelium Z. Pikachu battling against Mudsdale was a bad idea, but it's Ash. He knew electric attacks won't work, so he had to do some alternatives.

Loved the scene where Ash with Pikachu and Lana with Brionne played together.

Mysterious Meltan, how did they end up on the boat?

I actually thought this was a decent battle. The animation in this episode seemed pretty fluid, which I loved, and I liked how Tectonic Rage looked. The episode felt balanced, with the classmates getting nice little personality moments. I enjoyed the battlefield being underwater and the aspect of the tide receding, and I liked Pikachu's Eletroweb on the pillars when it was falling. I really don't have any complaints here. I would have liked to see Golurk battle, but for Hapu's character arc, her just using Mudsdale made sense. Overall a solid close to the Poni arc.

Cloud5001

I wonder if people here suddenly forgot what anime they were watching, seriously this is nothing new and if you still haven't gotten that games don't equal the anime I don't know what else to tell you. I loved this episode and this IS the Ash I love to watch, confident even when he's at a type disadvantage. Also Ash was very smart during this battle, Hapu was going for pure power but Ash adapted and utilized Pikachu's best weapon to get his footing back. At this point in the show I think it would be far more weird if Pikachu suddenly COULD'NT beat ground types.

Also the animation for this battle was great I don't know what people are complaining about here, everything moved as fluid and lively as ever. I'd say I'm shocked but considering all of the stupid drama surrounding the sword and shield thread. I guess I was just blind to how much negativity was really here. Sun and moon's anime has been very good equaling Hoenn in terms of quality for me. Not flawlwess but still a damn good ride to be on, seeing this has convinced me more than ever to leave this site. The poni island arc was amazing and yet people are still bitching about how it's not XY. I'm sick of it.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
WHAT did I just WATCH

Such a great arc ends in such a bad way!

So you're telling me this was supposed to be equivalent to an eighth gym leader? The only eighth gym leader this was better than was Jessie and James!

Usually the eighth gym leader brings something we've never seen before:

Clair: appears in 5 straight episodes
Juan: the weird format (transitioning from double to single battle)
Volkner: 8th gym battle happening after grand festival
Roxie: 6on3
Wulfric: first time since Kanto Ash loses to multiple gym leaders

And now Hapu technically brings something like that (1v1) but it should have been a good not bad surprise!

Not to mention that now Pikachu never got revenge on Golurk, and using the water to conduct electricity was Aimforthehorn-esque! Electroweb as a trampoline was fine! In fact when it was used that way I was happy to see that the writers incorporated an Electric move in a way that made sense. But the second use at the end was unnecessary and the finishing move should have been Breakneck Blitz.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
If Pikachu had used Breakneck Blitz instead everybody would have called bullshit that a physical normal type move from a little Pikachu would have been enough to take out a heavily Stamina-boosted Mudsdale. Gigavolt Havoc taking it out at least makes sense. Mudsdale was wet, that's what Soak does, and it then gains attributes normally attributed to Water types, so it was therefore weak to Electric attacks. Pikachu also did it against Tyranitar in the Kalos league and I don't think people complained about it there.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
If Pikachu had used Breakneck Blitz instead everybody would have called bullshit that a physical normal type move from a little Pikachu would have been enough to take out a heavily Stamina-boosted Mudsdale. Gigavolt Havoc taking it out at least makes sense. Mudsdale was wet, that's what Soak does, and it then gains attributes normally attributed to Water types, so it was therefore weak to Electric attacks. Pikachu also did it against Tyranitar in the Kalos league and I don't think people complained about it there.
Tyranitar isn't Ground Type

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why do the writers insist on keeping Iron Tail? It's a move Pikachu learned in the beginning of AG before the Roxanne Gym battle...literally 16 years ago now back in 2003. I don't get it, it's like the only relic of the AG era still in the anime. Why is a move from 16 years ago still kept all this time over anything new?

For cases when Ash is facing a Pokémon that is immune to both Electric and Normal moves, as Golurk was.

In fact I think this is the first full official battle he's done

Then why on earth are they giving him an eighth gym battle for it? Let him build up experience on less important battles. This would be like if they hired some random director off the street to direct The Battle of Winterfell instead of Miguel Sapochnik.

Now that all the Kahuna battles have happened, here's my ranking of them:

4. Ash vs Hala
3. Ash vs Hapu
2. Ash vs Olivia
1. Ash vs Nanu

How is Hapu better than Hala?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
More ingenuity in the battle, as it needed to be since Pikachu had the odds against him type-wise.
Fair enough, but it some fake trash ingenuity that allowed an Electric move to affect a Ground Pokémon. Ingenuity would have been remembering that he had a Normalium Z. When was the last time he even used it?