• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An odd little team

alteredegoX

Sophi so silleh~
So I basically wanted to make a team with Assault Vest Mamoswine, which actually has worked quite well so far. I can already see a few changes that might be needed, although some unexpected things seem to have worked for me. So, this is the current team I'm running on Showdown and will be using in-game once I've got the team down to a T and bred them up.

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
Ability: Thick Fat (seriously, this thing took 2 Flamethrowers [forget what did it sadly] before a burn took it down)
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Knock Off
Rockslide
248 HP, 240 Att, 20 SDef

This is generally my lead, from experience I've found people expect a Stealth Rock from it leading, in which case I generally just attack something. In some cases it's been enough that I've KO'd something because they might have expected SR. The Ice Shard priority has helped incredibly too, taking down some horribly buffed up guys I've sacked Ferrothorn to just to bring them into the red. I also chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge here just because I preferred the higher chance to hit, and in the chance it goes first there's the flinch chance. Knock Off, that's obvious as well to help against walls and generally being a pretty powerful move.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Overcoat
Air Slash
Substitute
Knock Off
Roost
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 Att

One of my two walls, the only of which can actually restore their own health I'll admit, but it's pretty basic really. I liked Bone Rush at first because it was unexpected, and it could do some pretty good damage against the right foe, but it was exceptionally situational and needs to go in favour of something more reliable. I have also now changed this to Air Slash, see if this does any better for me, which I'm hoping it will. Knock Off is the main source of attack really, and like Mamoswine it's good for countering other walls, or sweepers trying to get rid of my Sub.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Iron Barbs
Curse
Protect
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att
0 speed IV

My set-up sweeper, generally the only other choice for a lead if the opponent can take Mamoswine regardless. Stealth Rock choice is obvious, and Protect is there to test for what's coming up and check for the item. Gyro Ball does some pretty serious damage even before the Curses, and with the lower speed after, it doesn't make it worse, as well as taking hits better from the physical side.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature (tried with Adamant, but Jolly just seemed to win out more)
Ability: Rock Head -> Tough Claws
Stone Edge
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Sky Drop (this has worked hilariously)
252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 HP

A basic sweeper really, there's no point in not-mega evolving him as soon as I can as neither ability is really too good for the set. Stone Edge is the basic STAB obviously, and I did prefer this over Rock Slide unlike Mamoswine simply because of that higher attack, Mamo has bulk to not mind the lower damage but Aero isn't so lucky. Crunch and Dragonclaw are there for a bit of coverage as Dragons were a bit of a pain at first. Sky Drop is the unexpected other STAB, every match on Showdown I've always seen them having to look up it's ability and such, and does some pretty good damage too, as well as having proved useful against Toxic and Flame Orb holders just for that extra turn of damage.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
Ability: Guts
Drain Punch
Earthquake/Stone Edge
Knock Off
Superpower
252 HP, 252 Att, 4 SDef

Pretty basic Conk as far as I'm aware, Flame+Guts got higher attack, Drain Punch for STAB and recovery, EQ and Stone Edge I can't decide between really, as both offer different coverages. Knock Off here is decent for coverage in itself I've found, and obviously removing items helps, as it's taken down Reuniclus and slow walls solo. Superpower is just there for when I need something really powerful to hit with.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Ability: Protean
Extrasensory
Dark Pulse
Grass Knot Scald
Hidden Power Fire
252 SAtt, 252 Spd, 4 HP

This always seems a staple Greninja set too, if a little hesitant because I've seen so many varieties. Every move is STAB with the Protean, and I've tried to balance them in terms of thinking what I could be against, and what the moves can do. I don't really know what to say about this set, it's maybe the most adaptable as would change fairly often.

I will also say, I'm not 100% knowledgable on OU Tier which is where this would have to fit in, so I'm not completely sure what the main threats I would come across are. The only ones I've seen consistantly are Blissey and Ferrothorn, with my Conk and Greninja to cover them respectively.

Still, assistance would always be appreciated.

Last edited:

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Well, first off, holy heck you REALLY don't like others holding items do you? So many Knock Offs lol

As for Greninja, keep it Timid, attacking first is do or die for it a lot of the times and also, I'd change Grass Knot for Scald, it's technically a water pokemon and no water move, plus scald = 30% chance to burn which lowers physical atk damage, which makes your walls and survivability better.

alteredegoX

Sophi so silleh~
Well, first off, holy heck you REALLY don't like others holding items do you? So many Knock Offs lol.

Quite aware :p Conk is maybe the one who doesn't really need it so also thinking might be best giving him something else. Mamo has it because he's a common lead and Mandi has the STAB boost from it.

But yes, I've changed Grass Knot for Scald now.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Quite aware :p Conk is maybe the one who doesn't really need it so also thinking might be best giving him something else. Mamo has it because he's a common lead and Mandi has the STAB boost from it.

But yes, I've changed Grass Knot for Scald now.
I have Greninja on my main team as well, no HP: Fire though, which makes me sad also, if all your other pokemon pretty much have dark moves, you can change it's dark pulse for Ice Beam, in case of dragons (mostly based on my change to Aerodactyl further down and your comment about it).

Yeah but in Conks case, Knock Off is super effective vs something he's very weak to, psychic. So even if he doesn't "need" it, it's useful in that sense. In any case, I'd give Conk Mach Punch, because he's not winning any speed contests and priority is good. So I'd all in all Drain Punch | Mach Punch | Earthquake | Knock Off-Superpower-Stone Edge.

With Mandibuzz I'd probably use Aerial Ace or even Fly, giving you 1 turn of no damage. Since you're already hindering it's already low SpA with an Impish nature. Unless you have that to use it vs very physically defensive targets that is.

For Aerodactyl if you think you can survive it, you can put Hone Claws instead of Dragon Claw to increase your Attack and Accuracy (for Stone Edges sake).

PlatinumD3

Well, first off, holy heck you REALLY don't like others holding items do you? So many Knock Offs lol

As for Greninja, keep it Timid, attacking first is do or die for it a lot of the times and also, I'd change Grass Knot for Scald, it's technically a water pokemon and no water move, plus scald = 30% chance to burn which lowers physical atk damage, which makes your walls and survivability better.
Yeah I agree, you have Knock Off WAY too many times. You don't need it on 3/6 Pokemon.

alteredegoX

Sophi so silleh~
With Mandibuzz I'd probably use Aerial Ace or even Fly, giving you 1 turn of no damage. Since you're already hindering it's already low SpA with an Impish nature. Unless you have that to use it vs very physically defensive targets that is.

For Aerodactyl if you think you can survive it, you can put Hone Claws instead of Dragon Claw to increase your Attack and Accuracy (for Stone Edges sake).

I've changed Manibuzz about a little, changing Air Slash to Fly and actually removed it's Knock Off in favor of Punishment, meaning to deal a little better with others who set up whilst I drop a sub.

I've found Aero isn't the best for taking that hit whilst it sets up, I did change it a bit to run Hone Claw and whilst it obviously did more damage, it came as a downfall in that it got knocked into the red and then a priority move (albeit my mistake in forgetting) killed it.

EDIT: Currently on a 5-2 win-lose ratio with the current set (need to edit first post with changes actually) if you ignore leaving soon as the showdown match starts because it's a gimmick set (I just don't like fighting them is all)

Last edited:

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
I've changed Manibuzz about a little, changing Air Slash to Fly and actually removed it's Knock Off in favor of Punishment, meaning to deal a little better with others who set up whilst I drop a sub.

I've found Aero isn't the best for taking that hit whilst it sets up, I did change it a bit to run Hone Claw and whilst it obviously did more damage, it came as a downfall in that it got knocked into the red and then a priority move (albeit my mistake in forgetting) killed it.

Eh, I'd leave Knock Off on Mandibuzz, since it's the actual Dark pokemon that gets STAB damage from it.
If you're changing it, make it Foul Play, that way at least you'd get to damage more depending on the Atk value of the opponent since Mandibuzz is a stall/wall, or even Payback if you see that Mandibuzz never really attacks first.
Using Punishment, which requires the opponent to buff up seems very dangerous and it only has 5 PP. For Punishment to deal the same amount of damage as Payback for example, the opponent would have to have +5 SpA or +5 Atk, in which case Mandibuzz is getting wrecked.

Yeah, Aerodactyl is frail as heck, he can't take hits very well, just stupidly fast though