• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Olden Pond! (429)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'd get confirmation on Satoshi's actual words before condemning the writers for having him be naive about using the battlefield to one's advantage. More often than not the times he's seemed to have forgotten something important it is only because of bad dubbing, while the original made more sense. Therefore I will await what was really said.

One question though, what was with the Dragonair rescuing scenes? Why did the old woman go down to help both times? There just didn't seem to be much point to her being down there.

And why did the old man think that chasing away other Pokemon would cause Dragonair to appear?

I really don't get the Squirtle hate here. It uses a fairly weak move (did it really say in the episode it just learned it, or was this just the first time it was used? ) that fails to stop TR, thus showing a still has a good deal of growing to do. Then it, Marshstomp and Corphish make a cool combo to deal a more powerful blow. Corphish is still the star of the episode.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
But Corphish should have been the one to do a Superman through TR's mech. Instead it's the blasted turtle. It should just disappear for a dozen episodes or more because I've about had it (which is saying a lot because Squirtle is one of my favorite Pokemon lines). And as Yamato-san said, it's a sign that evil terapin will one again darken a contest battle with its presence.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
there's also the fact that Zenigame was the one who consulted Heigani about the idea of hurling it up to Rocket Dan. Yup, just eeeeeverything is that turtle's doing. Like The Big Al said, aside from hating Zenigame due to previous incidents involving it, it p***es us all off that it suddenly started to turn into the big, show-offey hero and upstage everyone, despite the episode not having any previous focus towards it.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Not a bad episode if I do say so. I'm still annoyed at the writers for making these titles sound so damn much like they're referring to the first season, but that has nothing to do with the episode itself, so... yeah.

Anyway, yay for Heigani. Aside from Heracross, and maybe Fushigidane, he's probably my favorite of Satoshi's pokémon, so it was great to see him get some decent spotlight. On the flip side, I wish Zenigame would just die already.

It's pretty cool to see Hakuryuu again, since iirc the last time it was featured was all the way back in the Fusube Gym arc. And I thought the use of music from the fourth movie was nice.

Oh yeah, and I loved Kojirou's disguise. :3

P

phoenix12

I also don't completely see the reasoning behind all this Squritle-hate going on...it's a little random that it came outta nowhere this episode and stole the spotlight during the TR battle, but Corphish still got the focus for the entire rest of the episode...the episode was very water Pokemon based in general (Crawdaunt, Vaporeon, Marshtomp, Corphish, all the wild water Poke cameos..and hell, "Lake" was in the title), so Squirtle going all heroic wasn't totally uncalled for

I'm glad to see Squirtle learning more attacks and growing useful...when May first got it I was afraid it would remain all weak and crybaby-ish all season, but no, May's training it to become a decent fighter and formidable contest Pokemon....playing hero this time around and offering a useful attack suggestion against TR should gain it some respect among the other Pokemon and the viewing audience, for that matter

...but yea, Marshtomp showing up was definitely a highlight for me here...I was def terrified that thing would stay in its Pokeball forever once it evolved (a la Brock's Ludicolo...which had maybe 2-3 post-evolution appearances)

Last edited by a moderator:

Heracross

Custom User Title
The thing is Haruka hasn't done any real training with it at all. She's used it in two battles prior to this episode (three if you count it pulling ice beam out of its ass and blasting off the Rocket-dan). Now, if she had actually spent time with it developing its attacks and really training it, as Satoshi did with Yukiwarashi, then I wouldn't mind as much. It's the fact that it just pulls this crap out of nowhere that irritates me.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Heracross said:
The thing is Haruka hasn't done any real training with it at all. She's used it in two battles prior to this episode (three if you count it pulling ice beam out of its ass and blasting off the Rocket-dan). Now, if she had actually spent time with it developing its attacks and really training it, as Satoshi did with Yukiwarashi, then I wouldn't mind as much. It's the fact that it just pulls this crap out of nowhere that irritates me.
But do we really know that she hasn't been training it? All that would be required would for her to utter one brief line in an episode where she mentions how hard she's been training with Squirtle and that would be enough. But since we don't know the Japanese episodes line for line that is rather hard to do.

Heck, it would look like her Bulbasaur learned Petal Dance in one day if she hadn't mentioned she had been training it to learn the move for a while.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Certainly if that was the case one of the members familliar with Japanese would have pointed it out by now.

Riva

The Olive Kitsune
Sorry, I know this is over a month old, but I finally realized they still had this section last Sunday.

I love this episode and there are some thingsI wanna ask and point out;

Questions;
1. Is the Crawdaunt wild and captured later by the bussinessman or belong to him from the start?

2. If it's wild from the start, does that mean Corphish were brought into Kanto (I know >.< dumb question)?

3. What did TR wanna steal? My guess was Crawdaunt.

4. Why did Crawdaunt get scanned again?

Observations;
1. Crawdaunt and Corphish aren't that much different in size.

2. It seems Crawdaunt is always cast as an enforcer for someone.

Dreamcoat

Riva said:
Questions;
1. Is the Crawdaunt wild and captured later by the bussinessman or belong to him from the start?

2. If it's wild from the start, does that mean Corphish were brought into Kanto (I know >.< dumb question)?

3. What did TR wanna steal? My guess was Crawdaunt.

4. Why did Crawdaunt get scanned again?

1. It's captured.

3. Most likely Crawdaunt.

4. Silly question :/

dragonair_king

Pokemon Master
This should be a good episode.Im not just saying that because of my username ^^.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
dragonair_king said:
This should be a good episode.Im not just saying that because of my username ^^.

um... I suggest reading through this thread, first. Hakuryuu only showed up at the very end, and its storyline was pretty much a rehash of the Safari Zone episode. To make things worse, Haruka's Zenigame killed this episode by stealing Heigani's chance to shine. Hakuryuu may be my favorite Pokemon as well, but even its presence couldn't save this episode from sucking.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
Just saw this in the US. This episode was cool. Corphish has a terrible new voice. Don't remember Ash's Corphish knowing Vicegrip. That salesman was very annoying. It was awesome to see Dragonair again.

C.J. Ray

I wanted Shaymin! :(
Oh. My. God.

CORPHISH, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU WENT THROUGH PUBERTY! :eek:

I never hated any of the new voices before, but now I do. My God, forgive me for violating the 3rd commandment, Lord...but I swear that the VA isn't even trying to mimic the awesome voice 4-Kids gave the crawfish Pokemon.

"Corphish cor!"

Other than that, this was a nice episode. Ash was able to nearly win(before TR interrupted, as usual) using the stuff learned from Gillia's battle with the Vaporeon(which hasn't shown up since, I dunno, Sakura's sisters in Ecruteak City?). This sort of proves that Corphish ain't evolving - he's like Pikachu and Tyson's Meowth, wanting to show that evolution isn't always the way to gain power.

Loved the Dragonair. Yeah, we've not seen the middle Dragonite evolution for a while(I love Dragonair more than Dragonite), but hey, those are rare birds. Why should we flood the anime with them?

I really enjoyed this episode. I loved when Dragonair showed up, that thing is so beautiful.

I also think Corphish's voice was a little...weird. Yeah, I didn't like it much. But who really cares. Not a big deal.

Samayowa

you amaze me.
To put it simple......
Filler, and a boring one at that.

Not that much of a filler--Squirtle learned Rapid Spin.^^;

Don't remember Ash's Corphish knowing Vicegrip.
It's known Vice Grip since before it was caught!>_<

I loved when Dragonair showed up, that thing is so beautiful.
Agreed--it's such a pretty Pokémon. We haven't seen Dragonair since Johto, so this was a treat even though it didn't show til the end(and of course, this was 85% filler).

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I just watched the dub version and Corphish's new voice wasn't too horrible, although I do miss the 4kids voice. The episode in general was OK.