• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An oportunity wasted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
You see, there's something that has been bugging me after I knew some Pokemon will have their Types changed because of the Fairy Types. There are two Pokemon which types should have been changed because, since the first Generation, they always had two very different faces between the games and the anime. I'm talking about Gengar and Gyarados.

1º) Gengar: In Gen I, it was the first and only Ghost Type Pokemon, not counting his pre-evolutions. I believe it was a stupidity turning this Pokemon into a Ghost/Poison Type, because the Poison type made it useless against the Psychic Pokemon; but it's easy to explain. In Gen I, the only "effective move" was Lick; since Confuse Ray was a Status move and Night Shade affected every Pokemon with the same quantity of damage. With no Dark types back then, and only Lick as an effective move, a Ghost Type would have been almost undefeatable; so they added Gengar the Poison Type no make him weaker, too weak if you ask me. As far as I see, they should have turned Gengar into a pure Ghost Type in Gen II, when the Ghost Types have more weak points and attacks. After all, defeating a Gengar in the Anime is not as easy as in the games, don't you think?

2º) Gyarados: It's suppose to be one of the most powerful Water Pokemon of all, but it the games, it's too easy to defeat it. Just one Electric attack and... KABOOM!, it's story. What was the point in making him partially a Flying Type, when Gyarados is unable to Fly? Being a Water/Dragon (like Kingdra) Pokemon would have been more logical, making him stronger enough to be a tough Pokemon. But in Gen I, having only Dragon Rage as a Dragon Move, there wouldn't be any effective attack against Gyarados; as the Dragon Type would protect him from Electric attacks and the Water Type would protect him from Ice attacks. But existing more Dragon attacks after the Gen II, Gyarados had stopped being an "unbeatable" Pokemon. In the Anime, Pikachu has defeated several Gyarados in the past, but he never had it easy.

So, don't you think it would be better if Gengar would be a pure Ghost Type and Gyarados would be a Water/Dragon Pokemon?

Uh, what does think have to do with the anime? Shouldn't this be in the Gen 6 thread, I don't know.

Ilikepiex7

this has no value to the anime section and both of those pokemon gained megas. Water/dark was an interesting decision for gyarados. The poison typing is helpful for gengar since it gives immunity to poison and super effective stab moves for the new fairy type.

LizardonX

Banned
Pretty much every single pika vs gyarados fight went the way you expect it to. Either pikachu lands a TB and wins or doesn't and loses.

Firebrand

Indomitable
2º) Gyarados: It's suppose to be one of the most powerful Water Pokemon of all, but it the games, it's too easy to defeat it. Just one Electric attack and... KABOOM!, it's story. What was the point in making him partially a Flying Type, when Gyarados is unable to Fly? Being a Water/Dragon (like Kingdra) Pokemon would have been more logical, making him stronger enough to be a tough Pokemon. But in Gen I, having only Dragon Rage as a Dragon Move, there wouldn't be any effective attack against Gyarados; as the Dragon Type would protect him from Electric attacks and the Water Type would protect him from Ice attacks. But existing more Dragon attacks after the Gen II, Gyarados had stopped being an "unbeatable" Pokemon. In the Anime, Pikachu has defeated several Gyarados in the past, but he never had it easy.

So, don't you think it would be better if Gengar would be a pure Ghost Type and Gyarados would be a Water/Dragon Pokemon?

I've addressed this point before. The reason, I think, that Gyrados is a water/flying type and not a water/dragon type is because the thing is a monster. Kingdra is notoriously hard to take down, and Gyrados not only has the benefit of a massive attack power, but its defenses are nothing to scoff at either. In the interest of balance, it was given a water flying type to give it some more exploitable weaknesses and make it less monstrous and easier to take down. Having exploitable weaknesses to electric and rock type moves keeps the leviathan manageable. People who use it not only have to think of movesets for it, but also how to tackle this weakness. It wasn't done as an oversight, it was a strategic decision.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
grammar

1) Gengar being part Poison is actually a boon this generation as Poison is one of the few types capable of dealing with Fairies. It's Psychic weakness is offset by the fact that it can fire off a STAB Ghost attack which is also a weakness of Psychic-types, and it's Ground-weakness is completely negated by Levitate. The Poison-typing is a non-question in today's metagame; most of the time it's his being Ghost and overall frailty that makes him soft.

2) Gyarados's Flying-type, while it does have some drawbacks, also offer a number of advantages. On the top of my mind, it allows Gyarados to come in on Fighting attacks, which along with Intimidate, allow it a safer entry than most mons. While I will concede that it's Mega should be Water/Dragon (while the current is an awful abomination of nature), I see no reason to change the normal Gyarados's typing. Gyarados is still a monster, just as it was in previous generations.

randomspot555

What the hell does this have to do with XY as games?

Yes, Gyarados has a crippling Electric weakness. That's why trainers make teams so that Pokemon can work together and cover weaknesses and have different strengths,

Bluemage21

1. Gastly is basically a haunted gas cloud, so yeah.

2. Because if Gyarados was water/dragon it would be so OP that it would make some ubers possible need a new pair of pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.