• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Outcast Glitch

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
Well, I know I am currently writing a fanfic here, but this one was half done and just sitting around in microsoft word with no one to read it so... well, here is another piece of my work for you to critique and hopefully enjoy. This fanfic is rated Pg13 for small amounts of swearing and minor violence in later chapters.
So, with all that established, let us begin!

-Chapter One: Outcast-

A cold wind rustled the cinnamon-colored leaves that were collecting in small piles on the sides of a thin dirt road that meandered through the Destiny Woods. It was said that when a Pokefighter ventured into these woods, they would find their life-long partner, a pokemon to bond with and treasure for all eternity.

It was for this reason that excited crowd of young teens were traipsing through the forest. Each on of them had been chosen as a Pokefighter, a person with the ability to bond and communicate with a pokemon. The Pokefighters were an elite force of people that, with their partner would keep peace among the villages and cities of people in this world prior to that of pokeballs and other fancy technology. Before being sent out on missions and duties, a Pokefighter would be trained and given their most important quest, to bond with a pokemon. After many years of training, these teens were finally ready for a pokemon; all they had to do was bond.

Among then teenagers that wandered into the Destiny Woods that day was fourteen-year-old Selena Forneson, clothed in a beautiful violet robe with silver trims and dressy pants underneath. Sturdy, tauros-leather boots kept Selena from hurting her feet, and a royal blue silk ribbon held Selena’s pure black hair out of her cyan eyes. The girl strolled on calmly, masking her excitement with a quiet hum.

The steps Selena took seemed to go on forever, each one finishing with a satisfying crunch, and each one taking her closer to the pokemon Selena would be paired with for the rest of her life. Another step to the top of the hill, and then a wide expanse of meadow stretched before Selena, riddled with babbling brooks and filled with her happy peers, some with pokemon and some without. Wild pokemon too grazed and played in the forest clearing, hopping among the flowers gaily. The excitement welling up inside Selena threatened to tear the girl’s body to pieces, and thus she submissively rushed in and walked up to different pokemon in attempt to bond.

“Sen? Sentret! Sen sen!” An angry reply and scratch told Selena that this sentret wasn’t going to be her partner. Just a tiny bit frustrated, the Pokefighter-to-be walked up to another pokemon, and another, and another. None of them seemed to like her; each one attacked or ran away in repulse as if Selena were some horrible toxin or crazed murderer. Could it be possible that the wise, old Pokefighter who said that Selena could bond was wrong?

Melancholy was what now flowed throughout Selena’s body like poison, leaving her helpless and feeling in vain. No pokemon liked the depressed girl even a little, and Selena was almost ready to give up. Head hanging, feet dragging, Selena began to trudge back to the path, and from there, back to the village to announce her failure.

Only ten more feet and Selena would be on the trail, homeward bound and unable to be a Pokefighter. The loud screech nearly caused the skin to leap straight off of Selena’s back, sending a rapid chill racing through her bones. “Hey everybody, look, I found a kabutops skeleton!” Looking back, Selena could see that the other teens were gathering around a boy of about fifteen or sixteen and murmuring amongst themselves. All of them had found partners, but Selena didn’t care about being embarrassed; a discovery like this was always thrilling. Rejuvenated, Selena power-walked to the mumbling crowd and forced her way to the front. However she was stopped abruptly as the group began to panic and backed away, their pokemon cowardly hiding their faces or shyly holding up their hands to fight. Wondering why, Selena looked up and rapidly shuffled her feet backwards once she saw the horror ahead.

The gleaming white bone of the kabutops skeleton was now moving, standing up as if it were a live pokemon. Two eyes were set into the exposed skull- the only flesh remaining. Crazily, they scanned the crowd and seemed to pause a second on Selena, singling her out like a staraptor would to a wurmple. “Siiii! Mi- missingNo.!” Spinning so fast no one could see, the kabutops skeleton took on another MissingNo. form, that of a paper-thin rectangle with a smaller extension on top, colored white and flecked with black bars and bands that seemed to move bout and glitter when the ‘pokemon’ shifted it’s ‘body’. Absolute terror shook Selena’s body as she slid back into the mass of her peers, her hearing becoming fuzzy. Soon she found that she could only make out the others’ commands as blurred speech that caused hordes of newly-bonded pokemon to race out toward MissingNo. with an unmistakable rage.

But to Selena’s surprise, the MissingNo. itself didn’t seem angry; rather, it was scared as well and cowering in the wake of so many pokemon set on killing it. Frightened, MissingNo. warped across the ground to the point just in front of where Selena was recoiling in her own fear. “Si singNo. MISSINGNO! Siiing siiing siing!” A hint of urgency could be detected in MissingNo.’s mechanical voice, although that was not what had Selena shocked so badly- instead she was gawking at the simple fact that she knew what the odd pokemon words had meant. <I am Strato. HEEELLP! They’re gonna kill me!>

Selena refused to believe that MissingNo., ‘Strato’, had spoken, but the truth was before her and she warily responded. “What was that you said mis- er, I mean ‘Strato’?” Then Strato, who was only about four feet tall buried itself in Selena’s arms.

“Si singNo. Miss ing singNo. no no missi siiiiiing siiii. Si ingNo. missi, ing ingNo.!” Once again Selena understood. <I am Strato. Please protect me from these pokemon who want me dead. I chose you, you must help!> A second passed, and then it clicked. It felt as if Selena’s stomach had jumped into her throat when the realization came- a Pokefighter could understand the cries of their bonded pokemon. I chose you… Now everything became clear; the other pokemon had disliked Selena because of her ability to bond with the ‘glitch’ pokemon MissingNo., and Strato had singled her out for the same reason.

Selena took a deep breath, and swallowing, then a huge gulp, and another breath. One more gulp, and then the confused and frightened girl held up her hand as a signal for the others to call off their partners. Puzzled, they began to whisper in faint, terrified voices while Selena projected her’s to the whole group. “Er… we, uh, I mean, now that we have all found partners, it is time that us Pokefighters er, returned to the uh village.” Strato pressed in closer to Selena’s body.

“Siii? SiingNo.! <Partners? Yahoo!> While the other new ‘fighters shot Selena odd and threatening glances, the whole crew made their way across the clearing to the path. A few resourceful ones with large pokemon hopped up on their partner’s back and rode the way, which made Strato shiver with excitement. “Siiing! SiiingNo. Siing no no miss mi missingNo.!” <Riding! Their riding, now get on my back and ride too!> A questioning look swarmed Selena’s face before she decided that if Strato wanted it, maybe she should as well. Shrugging, the still slightly confused Pokefighter grabbed the tall rectangle on top of Strato and pulled her feet up onto his thin but astonishingly strong ‘back’. Some natural inclination caused Selena’s hand to clench tighter and tighter around the tall rectangle while awaiting movement.

“Si, siiii, MISS IO.!” Selena’s eyes widened in terror for the second time that day. <Ready, set, WARP SPEED AHEAD!> Concerned, Selena opened her mouth to ask what ‘warp speed’ meant, but then, they were off.

The world was a series of earth-toned blurs stretched out as if a single inch of the forest had been stretched thousands of miles long. A mere nanosecond passed before Strato came to a complete halt within seconds. Selena leaned over almost ready to hurl. “How fast were you going?! And how come we weren’t incinerated!?” Panting just a little, Selena looked at a round black marking on Strato’s tall rectangle that she assumed to be an eye.

“Si siiing missing mis mi mi no no siing missin niiii. Nii siing nooooo Misssssing!” <Well, for your information, we were traveling at about the speed of light. I protected you from burning!> Calmly understanding, Selena nodded and leaned back a bit from her crouching position on Strato’s back. Suddenly, she jerked her body upward when her partner’s words sunk in.

“THE SPEED OF LIGHT!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!” Eyes wide and twitching with an overwhelming insanity, Selena lowered herself into a formal crouch again and sat as still as a frightened buneary.

“Miss ingNo. si sing. SingNo. no no!” <Yes and I missed the village. Hold on tight!> Once again unprepared, Selena hastily grabbed ahold of Strato’s rectangle just a fraction of a second before he warped ahead again.

On the outskirts of town Strato slowed to a calm two miles per hour and slunk in. The boy who had discovered Strato was standing terrified in front of a rumor-spreading group of spectators and the oldest, wisest of the Pokefighters. Shyly, Strato slid out from underneath Selena and spun around at lightning speed again, this time taking on the form of a haunter-like missingNo. with solid-white ovals for eyes and more smooth, rounded features than a normal haunter. Quietly Selena whispered, “How many forms to you have?”

“Sii… ing.” <Uhh… seven?> Selena raised an eyebrow but kept quiet, motioning for her partner to fly out into the gathering and explain the unbelievable events that had taken place that day. Her arrival caused every single person in town to shut their mouths and stare in shock and fear. Shaking, the lead Pokefighter spoke.

“I-it appears to be t-true. You, Selena, have bonded with one of the Glitch Demons. Do you know what you are dealing with.” More confidently, the leader spat in disgust and quickly took up his speech again, not allowing Selena to talk. “That… thing… is not a pokemon, it is a demented error in the fabrics of space and time, a horribly destructive demon that has the potential to eliminate all of humanity. In these desperate times Pokefighters are becoming fewer, and it is a miracle that such a large hoard of you children were able to bond. But, we are not so desperate that we will accept one of those wretched MissingNo. into our town. So hear me out; you have three hours to get yourself and that mutated creature you call a partner out of town before every Pokefighter present will hunt you down and see to it that both of you are slaughtered. You are.. dismissed.”

A horrible mixture of neglect, sickness, and irrevocable anger washed over Selena and left her speechless. Tensing her eyebrows to form a fierce glare, Selena snarled in an effort to keep some dignity. “Fine you lot of *******s. We will leave. But when you need us, don’t come back with an apology; we can tell you our response now. Apology not accepted. Come Strato. We do not need anything from my home, these jerks can keep my belongings. We will head out now.”

It took a small nudge from Selena before Strato let out a tiny, weak whine and followed his new friend out of town, and into the far-off wild.

To be continued...

Last edited:

The_Shuppeteer_

I LIEKZ SHUPPETZ
That was interesting and absorbing. I really hope this will continue, because it's certainly something I'll be keeping my eye on.
I haven't seen many fanfiction about Missingno. Strato and his friend are an interesting combo, and I like how you represented The Glitch Pokemon.
As I said, I'll be keeping my eye on it!

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
((Sorry it has taken me so long to post. I was having difficulties with my computer and hordes of homework and other such issues. Well, here we go with chapter two!))

-Chapter Two: Destiny-

The last sparkles from the cluster of lights faded away as Selena watched from her position up in the hills outside town. Depressed, she began to lazily prod at the fire Strato had built while looking off to nowhere deep in thought. Strato became troubled by Selena’s melancholy actions so, in an effort to cheer her up, the pokemon spun around in his speedy way and took on the form of an aerodactyl skeleton. An oddly sad air surrounded the even odder pokemon as he nuzzled Selena playfully in hopes that she would cast away her sadness.

“Oh, Strato… I can’t believe it. When I decided to train for this… I never expected that I would be driven away from my home. I just wish that they could see past your, er, strangeness and accept us as a normal partnership. I don’t even know what to do now…”

“Sii, singno missing no non non singno. Mi mi, missingNo siiiii nomiss ningno singinging, MissingNO!” <Selena, I know you’re sad but that won’t help. Be cheery, there will always be someplace we can fit in, always!>

With a push of his exposed skull, Strato bumped his partner causing her to giggle a little bit and push him back. Now Strato was convinced that Selena was happy again, so the glitch pokemon spin-transformed into his ghostly shape and pushed together some leaves and grasses to make a nest. A final look at Selena showed that she was not doing the same but simply staring off again.

“Siing no miss miss misingsinginginging nono nosii, singno missing no nomiss missno siiiii missing.” <The fire should burn all through the night, why don’t you stop worrying and go to sleep.>

“Hmm, maybe you’re right Strato. I’ll just sleep now… that will wash away my sadness for a while… I hope. And thanks.” Strato gave a somewhat confused look at this statement and eyed Selena curiously in order to give her a message without the need to speak. “Yes, thanks for trying to cheer me up. You are a great partner, and I just want you to know that I don’t blame you at all for the situation we are in and I am very proud to have a MissingNo. as my partner. Thank you.”

Out of the corner of her eye Selena saw Strato smile before pushing his head into the temporary nest he had made and closing his eyes to sleep. Gathering up some soft, natural substances of her own, Selena made her own place to sleep and rued the decision she had made to leave town without belongings. But there was no going back now, and Selena had no choice but to lay her head in a bed of dry grass and pass into a realm of sleep and dreams.

The grass in the clearing grew a bright and luscious green that perfectly complimented the dark pine trees surrounding it and the small white flowers that dotted the ground in little clusters. However, Selena was having trouble remembering how she got to this place, and in addition to that Selena was troubled by the simple fact that this beautiful forest thicket was surrounded in shadow on all sides and even above.

“Where am I…” Selena whispered to herself. “And where is Strato?”

The glitch pokemon was nowhere to be seen, not among the trees that separated the meadow from its shadowy boundary, and not anywhere in the grassy area. Panic filled Selena from head to tow as she tried to remember something that would tell her where she was.

Talking to herself again, Selena murmured in a low voice “Let’s see. I was at the campsite that Strato and I made… and then Strato tried to cheer me up and then he made a nest and went to sleep and then I made a nest thing and I tried to sleep and now-“

“Now you are dreaming.” An echo-like voice sounded throughout the clearing and made Selena jump up in fear and look around in wild desperation.

“Wh-who are you! Where are you? Wh-what is going on here!?”

“I am but one of the many, many pokemon who can enter one’s dreams. And I need your help.” Selena opened her mouth to speak but was cut off again by the frightening voice. “I will not tell you what pokemon I am… but I will tell you what help I need. At this minuet, a mass force of MissingNo. is gathering; more than have ever been on Earth, not to mention in one place, at once. These MissingNo. plan to seek their revenge against humans for shunning and belittling their kind, and because MissingNo. are so unusual and unpredictable, they are exceedingly difficult to beat.

“You however, have an unusual gift. You have bonded with a MissingNo., and although Strato is merely a crazy and overly-energized rebel of his kind, he will be able to help save many humans’ lives as well as those of the pokemon who choose to live among humanity.

“I myself am gathering up a large army of wild pokemon like myself, and we are even attempting to recruit some of the rare and majestic legendary pokemon. If you want to help your fellow humans by using your connection with the MissingNo. species, then I urge you to join my group and save the world with us.”

Selena took a minute to soak up all the information she had received while constantly taking large, deep breaths. Finally, she was ready to give an answer. “Uh… are you still listening?”

“Yes, of course I am. What is it?”

“Um, if I was to join you… where would I find your group.”

“Ha ha, yes, I forgot to mention that. In the event that you wish to join my force, you can find us north from where you are now, deep into the mountain range you humans call… er… I forget what you call it to tell the truth…”

Selena brightened up when she realized she knew something that this wise-seeming pokemon didn’t. “Would you mean the Dragon Peaks? They were named that because of the large amount of dragon-type pokemon that live there.”

“Yes, those are the ones. Our force has many dragons in it in fact. Anyways, to the West a ways into the range, you will find a clearing much like the one you’re standing in, only colder and with walls of stone and mountainside rather than shadow. But I understand how difficult it may be for you to find this, so I will alert all of the others in the force to keep a lookout for a young girl traveling with a small MissingNo.”

“Great! Now I know what Strato and I can do! I was worried that there would be no place left in the world for us. An invasion of MissingNo. sounds horribly frightening and unexpected. But dud you say that Strato was a small MissingNo.?”

In immediate response Selena heard the mysterious voice burst out in laughter. “Why, yes! But you wouldn’t know would you. Yes, Strato is small. You have seen your partner in his rectangle-with-a-chunk-missing form right? Well, the average MissingNo. is almost eight feet tall when in that form- some of the stronger high-ups of their vile army are even up to ten feet tall. MissingNo. are giant beings, and feared too. Perhaps it would interest you to look into your partner’s past. You may learn something.”

“Yeah, thanks! I will try to find my way… even if it means risking my life in an epic war. I need to prove that Strato and I are good, and that even though he is a MissingNo., he is a pokemon too!”

A soft rumbling gave Selena the impression that the pokemon speaking to her was pleased. “You will awaken now, in fact, it is sunrise back in reality. Until we meet in person friend.” As the voice faded off, the scenery did as well, becoming more and more blurry with every passing moment that brought Selena back into the waking world.

Stretching up, Selena had to blink many times to eliminate the shock they had felt from looking almost straight into the rising sun. Strato was already awake and he was cooking a decent-sized stantler on a spit over the fire. Seeing this, Selena was jolted fully awake and she stared for a few moments in amazement. “Where did you get that?!”

“Siinnng? Sin ningno no sing miss missssss. Mi sing no sssingno! Singno mss inging?” <This? This is our breakfast ‘cause I like meat. I just caught it! How’d you sleep.> Still in his ghostly form, Strato was able to give Selena a goofy look until she responded.

“I slept fine… but I spoke to a pokemon in my dream. He- or at least I think it was a he, told me that a bunch of MissingNo. were going to destroy humanity. It is horrible news, but he said that he wanted us to help out with fighting them by joining forces with them. Personally, I think it would be a good idea, and I know how to reach, or at least get somewhat close to where his forces are massing. I think we should go.” Selena seemed to stop speaking for a second, but Strato waited to respond because she was thinking. “Oh… and he said that I may gain knowledge from learning about your past… do you have anything to tell me?”

“Siinngnoo ooo oooo… si nosing.” Strato took a sharp breath before continuing. “Miss missingNo sing sinnnnng.” <They’re soooooo mean… I should know.> <Fine you can know about my past.> Strato waited for Selena to get into a comfortable position so that he could tell his long story while continuing to turn the spit.

Selena listened with utmost fascination as Strato described his life. He began his story by telling her about a group of other MissingNo., the ones that were planning to end the world as Selena knew it, who were much larger than himself. Strato explained how they didn’t make fun of him like they would have in a human culture, but instead were greatly excited by his petite proportions. The other MissingNo. had agreed that a runt like Strato would be a perfect spy… even though they had little need for spying. But deep down, Strato didn’t want to destroy humans, he thought that people weren’t so bad. After voicing his thoughts- that was when they began to be insulting –the other MissingNo. viewed Strato as a traitor. The said that if he loved humans so much, he should ‘marry ‘em.’ But Strato retaliated by saying that this was impossible. In a witty comeback, one of the smarter MissingNo. said that Strato could do the next best thing- bond with one. At that point, Strato said that he made a promise to the other MissingNo. that he would bond with a human, and that together with his partner he would become so powerful that all the others would tremble in his wake. Strato finished his lengthy lecture by saying that he would most certainly agree to Selena’s proposition; that he would join up with the other pokemon and destroy his horrid kin. Selena herself was amazed.

“Wow… so you ran away from the bad MissingNo…. and you became good. Well that was fascinating, but it looks like our breakfast is ready. Chow time!”

The pair jumped up enthusiastically in the same moment and each ate the stantler meal in their own special way; even though Selena had no tableware, she tried to be as civilized as possible while Strato wolfed down his meal as if it were his last. Happily the human and pokemon chatted and laughed the early morning hours away, taking their minds off of the fateful and war-ridden future that lay ahead of them both.

To be continued...

Last edited: