• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An RPGs death is inevitable!

Tale

Hello, my name is Tale and I have a question pertaining to RPGs, in particular, the life-span of RPGs and how the aforementioned is usually incredibly short.

I think all those eager Role Players out there can recall participating in an RPG that just fizzled out, with its death provoking little in the way of regret or sorrow for any of the RPers - a prospect that in itself is very sad, wouldn't you agree? It certainly makes me sad to think that. I mean, all that effort and excitement poured into the RPG concept, then after a month or so, it all means nothing. Absoloutley nothing!

Well, what is it that makes people just abandon an RPG? For me, I believe that many Role Players simply find RPing in one certain RPG to be a chore. To write a dazzling post that portrays everything you wish to portray for your character and their situation in that particular moment in time is not an easy feat. You want the RPG to progress, you want to watch the story grow and slowly near that ever-reverred ending that nobody can seem to attain nowadays. But the journey there becomes rather arduous.

Perhaps it's the GMs responsibilty to preserve the continued interest of the Role Players, by twisting and changing the plot so that writing for the RPG becomes as interesting and compelling as possible. Perhaps people cannot muster that urge to continue an RPG simply because they struggle to equal the incredibly dazzling and intense writing of the RPer that had recently posted and now dares the remaining RPers to match the RPing skill.

Maybe everyone experiences 'writers block' far too frequently and widely within the RPG forum, and preserving an RPG is simply futile.

Why is it? Share your opinions, so that I don't look like a prat who posted a meaningless topic. Please =).

flygonrulz

Don't leave me!
Well, usually the biggest thing that makes RPGs die is that either the GM has run out of things to do or basic unintrest of it. Sometimes if an RPG goes on for a really long time (I was in one for nearly a year!) you run out of things to do and it's just the same thing. I guess what people should do in these situations is make or go to their RPG cafe thread and brainstorm with other members of the RPG.

Canis Lupus

I think it it that the GM loses interest and players lose interests, or the fact that they don't have enough time for the RPG. I was in a wonderful RPG on another site, and when the GM got busy and needed to post, the whole thing fell apart.

I think that if we want to stop RPG's from falling apart due to a busy schedule, maybe have a joint RPG, where both creators know the projected outcome of the story.

Sunbound Streetcar

Pretty pointless.
An RPG´s demise isn´t inevitable, but it´s a pretty safe bet. When you consider all the things that every person involves needs to do in real life, the possibility that any of them--most likely the creator--may easily lose interest, and the long time it tends to take for an RPG to be finished, there´s a very small window of opportunity for Ultimate Success!.

Canis Lupus said:
I think that if we want to stop RPG's from falling apart due to a busy schedule, maybe have a joint RPG, where both creators know the projected outcome of the story.

One of the best countermeasures. If one GM loses interest or gets too busy, there´s always a backup. It may also be good to make short-term RPGs; a Day in the Life, stuff like that. It may seem awkward, but it´s a step in the right direction...?

InnerFlame

Fire and Ice Combo
I going to say I agree and disagree with some of the stuff mention here. Yes when people lose interest or having writer blocks they stop posting. Yes even the GM may lose interest and it dies. But saying that they don't have time is an excuse. One of my teachers said this today if really want to do something you'll make time to do it. So I believe the problem mainly lies in people losing interest and letting the RPG die.

Other problem with some RPG is when people are a little too excited and they post so many posts a day it's impossible to keep up.(I was in a RPG like that once I just gave up on it...)

Then there is the opposite people post too slowly and people are stuck in the same place and it makes people lose interest. There also the take too long to get started and people forget about it and then those people believe it died and they never post.

I think for a successful RPG the plot must constantly be moving because staying in the same place for two weeks loses people every time but going too fast has the same effect does too. So there has to be a story that moving at a moderate pace but is able to keep people interest.

Well that all I have to say for now so use this information as you please whether is helpful or not. Good day to all from the InnerFlame.

~*Nobody*~

samonsterX
For me its that nobody else posts! >.< In many rpgs I partake in (Which I don't participate in many) about 1 4th of the people who sign up post and then no one else does. And it's kinda the want to make sure no one gets left out, so you wait for them to post, and wait, and wait, and then poof its gone. It's really sad when the people who sign up don't post.

I completly agree with all the other reasons as well.

Eeveeking929

Khajmer's Back Baby!
The answer is sheer and total boredom. People lose interest, and then it dies. Nothing lasts forever, but the fact is that no matter what forum you're in, the RP will eventually die, anf nothing is going to stop it. Now, the question is when it is going to die, and that's completely random. I've seen the most interesting RPs never even get off the ground, and the most idiotic last for months, and vice-versa. I think it's a completely random process with a multitude of different, un-detectable variables. It's better not to question it, just go with it, and cut your losses if a really good one dies.