• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Analysis Versus Passion! (930)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Hey, Trevor had a whole arc he was a part of! /end sarcasm

Remember that arc where he did the thing with the thing to the doohickey?

DJACK45

He's the only major character who got a Key Stone and the convenient Mega Stone from thin air.

But Mega stones aren't this nigh-impossible feat that you have to go through deserts and dungeons to find for 30 days and 30 nights. It's literally as easy as stopping by a Cave and finding it (if you know where to look) or being given to you by someone. Hell for all we know, Birch/Sycamore gave it to him! Also, why is it hard to accept he has a mega stone but everyone seems fine with Ash getting some OP copycat that happened a hundred years ago and can jump power levels with little training? Not that I have issues with it, but come on. Aside from MC syndrome, Ash isn't THAT special compared to many other trainers. Aside from that, Sawyer's battling prowess can easily be explained by Ash's support and his hard work in improving his confidence. It's just one of those cases where the student finally surpassed the teacher. Especially when each battle they've had, he's done better and better. I mean the only reason he lost in those past matches had to do with his naivety and having unevolved pokes. He doesn't have those issues now and unlike Ash, Sawyer had prepared months studying developing a team just to counter his rival.

Epicocity

Remember that arc where he did the thing with the thing to the doohickey?

Yeah, the summer camp arc where he...hrmmm...oh, yeah, he-...no, that was Tierno...Oh well, guess Trevor will ever live in the shadow of Tierno and Shauna when he's not acting like a Mankey on crack taking pictures.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
AuraChannelerChris said:
I think since Clemont's gym battle.
Half a region without switching? Not Smogon approved.

Epicocity said:
Pretty sure it was Clemont, but since then we've had:

Valerie 2v2 (not much room to switch)
Sawyer: 2 3x1v1s (couldn't switch) and a 3v3
Olympia: Double Battle (couldn't switch)
Alain: 1v1s
Diantha: 1v1
Wulfric: 3v3.

So, really only the last Sawyer battle and the Wulfric battle were truly switchable.
Really highlights how the anime is easy mode: so many 1v1s. No wonder Ash doesn't have to bother with much tactics.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And now I just realized how poor Trevor is probably the least important recurring character. Not even owning a popular monster was enough to salvage him.

I digress, however. I wish we had known how SSS even got his special items. He just got them right between Ash's gym battle and the league...

Also, why is it hard to accept he has a mega stone but everyone seems fine with Ash getting some OP copycat that happened a hundred years ago and can jump power levels with little training?

I'm pretty sure everyone isn't fine with that yet.

Last edited:

DJACK45

And now I just realized how poor Trevor is probably the least important recurring character. Not even owning a popular monster was enough to salvage him.

I digress, however. I wish we had known how SSS even got his special items. He just got them right between Ash's gym battle and the league...

I'm pretty sure everyone isn't fine with that yet.

I overexaggerated but after going through the number of issues people have expressed about this series, Ash-Greninja doesn't seem to close to the top while Sawyer and his jump in power level seem to be demonized in every episode he appears in even if there're multiple plausible explanations for it. I get why people don't like him it's just that from a writing standpoint, it makes sense for Sawyer to be where he is now vs having the writers waste their time creating a rival character Ash ends up beating 6-0 in the end.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The straightforward, 1v1 match-ups felt kind of dull to me. And Hawlucha was done a great injustice :<

Alain scoring a 5 - 0 game was scary. lol.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Remember how people said that this League could be redeemed if this battle was good? Well so far one half of it isn't.

Pikachu vs Clawitzer was somewhat interesting but Slaking is terribly boring to watch battle. I was really expecting some more dynamic animation as well.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
It's kind of funny to hear some people say that this episode felt slow when the general consensus is that the League has gone by quickly up to this point. Lol.

Generally speaking I liked this first half of the battle. Sawyer's use of counter-strategies were very interesting. Having Slaking wait and heal up until Hawlucha committed to Flying Press was a good move, he's much more open there. Plus it's not like Slaking could dodge anyway, lol. Btw if you want to get game technical, the animation for Counter involves a punch. So there's that. I can get behind the use of Aqua Jet to keep up with Talonflame, anime-wise I'd find it plausible that a speed boosted Talonflame could defeat a Clawitzer (you know, considering we had a speed boosted Weepinbell bodybag Fletchinder and Hawlucha). Aegislash cutting down the trees definitely helps with forcing Pikachu to take it on directly where it can just King's Shield up and fight on it's own terms is a good idea in principle, but we all know it's Pikagod it's battling.

On the non-switching thing, the writer for this episode was Omode wasn't it? The one who normally does the Serena episodes? I'm not saying she can't write battles but I'm guessing when she does that don't tend to be overly complex. While I say this she did bring out the strategist side of Sawyer quite well, having him try and dictate the battle on his terms while limiting Ash's potential advantages, it's just the structure was very straightforward, no switches because of disadvantages. Which, again, could be counter argued with how Ash doesn't care about type match-ups necessarily (in instances yes but not all the time, see Noivern's battles). I still kind of doubt we'll see Paul level of switches against Alain (even if it may be written by Tomioka) because he was straight WILD. I'd also find it funny just to see everyone constantly switching on bad match-ups.

As for Alain's reaction to the battle with Remo, yes it's cold and somewhat dick-ish but come on, the man brought a Pelipper. You CAN'T take him seriously! Plus he beat Garchomp easier this time, yeah he took a Draco but once they Mega'd he got stomped, hardly justification to say he's improved when he hasn't really (from how we saw the battle go) outside of new moves (three Dragon-type moves on Garchomp, call me a Fairy-type). Ok maybe he did improve but then this implies that Alain improved further, which actually sounds more likely to me.

And to whoever made that comment about Garchomp's changing gender, won't lie it gave me a good laugh. :p

riceant

I think the anime rule on switching out is that a pokemon cannot switch out until it has taken damage (or is losing the battle). Since Talonflame essentially got 1-shotted (or close to it), and Talonflame did a quick 2-shots in succession of Slaking, and Pikachu/Clawitzer were even on their first collision, followed by a quick 1-2 punch from pikachu to KO clawitzer, then there was no real opportunity/time to switch out. Thus it's not necessarily bad writing.

nameman

Remember how people said that this League could be redeemed if this battle was good? Well so far one half of it isn't.

Pikachu vs Clawitzer was somewhat interesting but Slaking is terribly boring to watch battle. I was really expecting some more dynamic animation as well.

Slaking was never going to be that dynamic with what it is, but the rest of the battle did have some pace to it. It's just this is how Shota prefers to dictate his battles: a methodical pace with no surprises. Pikachu vs Aegislash will be the turning point as Ash will throw Shota's plan to the dust.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Did Slaking seriously fall to Talonflame just because he accidentally fell on one knee while trying to hit it?

Anyway this was an OK episode imo although it felt somewhat slow during the battles. Poor Hawlucha got knocked out despite having a stellar entrance and I wasn't a huge fan of the quick defeats from Talonflame against Slaking and Pikachu against Clawitzer (although the latter was a bit understandable since Pikachu Electro Ball'd Clawitzer up close and damaged it pretty badly). Hopefully the next episode is better.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I guess asking for another Ash vs Paul style battle is too much. If it wasn't for that, this battle would look a lot better. However, the expectation bar has been set and the battle came no where close to it. At this point I think it is safe to say Ash vs Alain will not be any better than Ash vs Sawyer. What a disappointment.