• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Analysis Versus Passion! (930)

Red and Blue

I don't see how Hawlucha got screwed over in the league when it is one of two non megas that managed to beat one. Besides someone had to be the fall guy

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I don't see how Hawlucha got screwed over in the league when it is one of two non megas that managed to beat one. Besides someone had to be the fall guy

Could have been Noivern though since it has the least amount of screen time. Never mind though. At least Talonflame avenge Hawlucha's defeat.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.

Well at least he won something...unlike torkoal and Torterra.

dman_dustin

All I saw was flying press knocking out a mega absol without context. Hardly what I'd call.....impressive.

On top of that we don't know if EVERYONE will get a win.

Amine

This battle is just ********. Even with great stats, slaking shouldn't be able to withstand all the fighting attacks from hawlucha. Also Ash should have switched Talonflame against clawitzer.

Pteranodonte

This battle is just ********. Even with great stats, slaking shouldn't be able to withstand all the fighting attacks from hawlucha. Also Ash should have switched Talonflame against clawitzer.

Slaking Defense is higher than Hawlucha's Attack. If we apply game logic Shota could have trained Slaking only in HP and Defense, since Counter just calculates tha damage that your foe does.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Alain cares not about Remo's feelings. His real crush is Ash.

Clemont, please. Ash beat SSS like 3 times but that one defeat happened because of a mental hiccup, and that was enough to be really wary of him?

Poor Hawlucha. It gets a flashy entrance, yet NO ONE in the stadium besides Bonnie and Serena cheered on him... Also, how long is the range of releasing Pokemon from their Poke Balls? Hawlucha damn appeared a quarter of a mile.

That Slaking was just ridiculous. I really couldn't tell for sure when it would keel over. And what was up with that little slipping foot? It's not like Hawlucha struck there.

SSS came out as a little arrogant to me here. "I knew Hawlucha would be done if he couldn't defend." "If I slowed down Talonflame, I'll win." Seriously, Ash. Deck him already.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Did the announcer seriously just say "is this what it means to be lightning quick" when referring to Pikachu? I can't... Please someone send help lol

Never really knew whether to pronounce it like "slacking" or "slayking" so it's nice to know it's the former.

I wonder how next episode because I totally haven't already watched this episode. Not at all. :S

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Alain was not satisfied with his win against Remo. Yeah, he's not in it for worthless Trainers, he's in it for Ash. It all comes down to Charizard and Greninja, that's for sure.

For the battle between Ash and Sawyer, it was good, nothing much of note, though. But Hawlucha didn't really do much. Just a flashy entrance. As for Slacking, the strategy was well-done, but it's just boring if it's not doing anything, even if its ability is to slack off.

Good use of the forest by Ash and Pikachu, to take on Clawitzer.

This was a pretty good episode and one that had me very invested in.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I guess it is better to focus on key battles but Alain does not get much screen time. It makes sense if he dominates all his matches with the same two pokemon but I still kind of want to watch them too.

I think Hawlucha went down fast but in the next match, I also think Slaking should have been able to last longer.

Pikachu52

Finally got time to watch this Episode. My main thought running through it is, Sawyer is not the same character who was introduced in "A fashionable battle." It's as if the writers forgot they had made Sawyer a novice when they came to drafting "a full strenght battle surprise," and so his character has gone from woobie novice to mega evolution using, analysing ace. All of Clemont and Professor Sycamore's commentary before the battle begins sets up Sawyer as this though opponent with great analytical abilities that's totally inconsistent to every appearance prior to the league. And the characters place huge emphasis on Ash's one loss to Sawyer despite it a) being relatively even, b) in Ash's previous battles against Saywer, Saywer went down in flames and c) Ash's loss was more due to mistakes on his own part and his inability to sync with Greninja. And there's a mischaracterisation of Ash too. Simply because Ash battles passionately does not mean he isn't analytical. When battling Clemont he was able to use the brief second when Heliolisk opened it's frill to have Hawlutcha attack. During DP he came up with countershield technique. Analysis and passion aren't mutually exclusive. More than that they aren't even related - Analysis and passion can't compete with each other. Ultimately a trainer would be unable to compete even in the lowest level of competition without some ability to strategise, understand of their Pokémon's strenghts and weakeness and ability think on one's feet. The pre-battle dialogue made me cringe slightly, though as a big Ash fan I have a bias.

Hawlutcha kinda turned into a bit of a punching bag in it's first battle. Even though it's one of Ash's strongest Pokémon on his current team and was used quite it still goes down in only one move. And Sawyer despite his inexperinece gets the first win. Plus Ash has battled Slaking before so why didn't he realise it would likely be lazy on the battlefield. And it ought to have been obvious after Sawyer wasn't giving it any instructions that his strategy was reliant upon Hawlutcha attacking - Or at least it was to the audience. Then Clemont and Serena praise Sawyer for clever strategy. This is the kid who's initial strategy was to send a Bagon out to fight a Spritzee. This pattern repeats itself with Talonflame vs Clawicher. Sawyer proudly proclaims he "knew he could win" if he slowed Talonflame down, which he did with that ice beam hitting its wing. More praise for Sawyer from Clemont and even Jessie says "the twerps looking twerpish." It's as if this episode was scripted to make Ash look like an idiot. Pikachu's battle was great. He took down Clawicher as he should and prevented Sawyer gaining his "huge advantage." Sorry Sawyer. I thought that match was a little too even - Pikachu is Ash's strongest Pokémon and his closet partners. Personally I think Pikachu ought to have been given a quick and decisive victory in a manner that none of Sawyers strategies could ever hope to contend with but a wins a win.

Finally. Did I hear Clemont right - Alian won a 6 vs 6 battle with only Charizard and Metagross. Move over Tobias.

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Pretty bland episode for me, honestly. The battle at the beginning was intersting though; I enjoy continuity, so the Garchomp trainer's appearance was a nice touch. But it felt too coincidental he was there just to beat Alain.

At this point, I'm pretty neutral on Sawyer. Seeing him be very strong is battle doesn't bother me. He's been around for a while, so it's reasonable.

Hawlucha's entrance was pretty cute. Definitely one of my favorites among the XY cast.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
there's no way 50 something episodes earlier he was getting destroyed by everyone on-screen

And not even 50! Just in XY&Z13, 21 Episodes before this, Ash 3-0'd him

Dude, please. He wasn't major enough, which is why his Y dragon got a very short stick that helped him survive for a minute.

Mega Charizard Y is not a Dragon

When you realize that Sawyer brought a Slurpuff...at least in terms of looks, the anime has made Slurpuff look pretty damn dopey.

I think they wanted to give Sawyer a Gen VI fully evolved Fairy, and there really aren't many other options. A Florges had just appeared a few episodes beforehand, in a rather memorable role, when Sawyer first appeared, so they probably wanted to give him a Pokémon that would not remind little kids of that Florges. It would be hard for little kids to separate their feelings for that Florges from this Florges. They couldn't give him an Aromatisse because then it would be weird for him not to recognize Spritzee when Valerie sent it out. Same goes for Sylveon since Sawyer would have had to say "hey I have one" when Valerie sent hers out. Bonnie has Dedenne and Pierre has Klefki. One thing they actually could have done was to give him Carbink. That way it wouldn't have had to debut so late in the saga and the Goodra episode could have actually been about Goodra.

familiarity breeds excellent strategy

Nice Ash vs. Paul reference

I thought Maldread was the kek king

Pretty bland episode for me, honestly. The battle at the beginning was intersting though; I enjoy continuity, so the Garchomp trainer's appearance was a nice touch. But it felt too coincidental he was there just to beat Alain.

I mean, Sawyer and Alain are both just there to beat Ash lol

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hawlucha's entrance was disappointing with such a grand entrance in its cape made by Serena and then KO'd by Counter after landing a flurry of attacks on Slaking and Slaking healing off any damage from the attacks. And despite Talonflame not landing as many attacks as Hawlucha and not having a type advantage it still KO'd Slaking and it felt like it totally didn't make any sense. At least there was part of the Alain battle but OK he still took out an entire team only using his overpowered Charizard and Metagross.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shota versus Satoshi in the semi-finals wasn't as amazing as I had expected. While I was pleased with Shota's team, I felt that his rate of development in Kalos was overwhelmingly quick.

Plenty of good moments all around, especially Pikachu using Electro Ball against Clawitzer. Poor Hawlucha, he got himself a fancy outfit and a flashy entrance just to lose fast against Sawyer's Slaking. And given that Ash knew that Slaking could use Counter, I didn't expect him to command his Talonflame to use Flame Charge head-on like he did.