• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ancient Family Matter! (575)

Littlemyuu

Aww Little Roark looks soo cute XP
i love episodes with fossil like pokemon

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
Also I didn't know Roark had a mother.

Even before I saw this ep I was pretty sure Roark wasn't the product of cloning.

Overall, I liked this. Byron had great moments with the hole. Also, I found it hilarious when they were just shouting "Bastiodoooon!!!" "Rampardoooos!!!" for a good thirty seconds. It was like they were pretending to be their favorite pokemon. Glad there was an episode dedicated to the Roark/Byron relationship.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Even before I saw this ep I was pretty sure Roark wasn't the product of cloning.

Overall, I liked this. Byron had great moments with the hole. Also, I found it hilarious when they were just shouting "Bastiodoooon!!!" "Rampardoooos!!!" for a good thirty seconds. It was like they were pretending to be their favorite pokemon. Glad there was an episode dedicated to the Roark/Byron relationship.

Yeah, Byron being in love with digging holes was also funny. That flashback to Roark finding the Sunkern fossil was cute, and Byron treasuring it was nice. In all the episode was good.

Yeah, little Roark was adorable.
Also, it was hilarious how Byron reacted to those holes dug by TR. He was so obsessed that he didn't even realize that he'd been robbed until the second time he was informed.

P.S. I just need to say this. This was terrible. I was halfway done making this post about fifteen minutes ago and accidentaly kicked the plug out of the wall. Man, it is excruciating to reboot the computer.

STICKTOPIA

Yeah, little Roark was adorable.
Also, it was hilarious how Byron reacted to those holes dug by TR. He was so obsessed that he didn't even realize that he'd been robbed until the second time he was informed.

P.S. I just need to say this. This was terrible. I was halfway done making this post about fifteen minutes ago and accidentaly kicked the plug out of the wall. Man, it is excruciating to reboot the computer.
lol it was funny with byron's reaction.

STICKTOPIA

ATTACK IS BETTER!!! NO, DEFENSE IS!!!! ATTACK! DEFENSE! such a stupid argument... both are good =/
Lmao. *coughs*attackisbetter*coughs*

Yeah, that was a wierd thing to argue about. A pokemon with no defense can't possibly afford to get hit and one with no offense has no way to retaliate, so either option by itsself is a bad idea. Why can't they just compromise?
Either way, speed is where the real power lies.

pokeguru

I like to play hero!
"I love fossils!"
"Attack is better!"
"NO, DEFENSE!"
*Beating hands against each other.*

What a stupid rivalry between father and son...

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
mmm, i loved to see Roark again.

and Byron's Bastiodon was very powerfull, it almost beat Rampardos

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Aww Little Roark looks soo cute XP
i love episodes with fossil like pokemon

Roark was cute when he was young. Not very often do you get to see a character at such a young age.

It was good. I liked that two Gym Leaders appeared and that they were related. I wasn't sure that the writers would include that little fact (the relation between Byron and Roark).

Good, I also like fossil Pokemon, but they appear too often :/

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I really like this episode. It was interesting to see a familiar gym leader from the past, Roark, and his father keep arguing and reconciling by the end of this episode. Too bad it meant another delay in the gym battle. I got so tired of all the waiting for a gym battle after the extra-long wait for the Hearthome gym battle between seasons 10 and 11, this delay was shorter but not much better. Byron was fun to watch, though. I especially liked how impressed he was with Team Rocket's hole digging. :) The part where the twerps kept face-planting every time Byron compliment Team Rocket's holes was hilarious too.

Overall, great episode, even if we didn't get to see the gym battle yet.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Hahaha Little Roark was cute and reminded me of Max. I wish the Roark vs Byron battle was a little longer but it was pretty good. I also like how they grew a closer bond between father and son by the end of the show. Great episode.

Wow. That Byron sure does have a strange obsession for holes now, doesn't he?

I'd hate to see what he'd be like if he saw the movie "Holes"...

Also...
RAMPARDOS. IS. AWESOME.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Personally I think Roark is stronger than Byron

wind21

I tend to like episodes like this one when we get them in the pokemon anime, where the focus is on the faults of adult, with no one being clearly right. Ash, Dawn, and Brock observe the feud, but they really don't judge. Ash and Dawn do tend to cheer for Rampardos in its battle against Bastiodon, but that's more b/c Roark is the person they know. Prior to the battle when Roark is explaining the reasoning for his feud with his dad, Ash doesn't express any emotion either way. And Roark is not asking him to, as well. Roark's reason for telling this story to Ash is make Ash appreciate how much this means to him, so that Ash will be more forgiving Roark using up his gym battle time. Ash appreciates the gesture, smilingly telling Roark it's fine with him. The one person who really does have a strong reaction to the story is Brock, and that's b/c he's been in similar situation.

The feud does have a bit of a forced ending, with Roark a little too quickly accepting Byron's reasoning for leaving the gym. The implication of this is that everything will be okay from now on, and I think that's b/c the writers wanted to resolve this 100% in this episode. It's similar to the forced resolution Aaron comes to with his Butterfree, or the one Grandma comes to with her Raichu. However, in a realistic sense, it's hard not to imagine Roark and Byron coming to a similar type of argument some time in the future, b/c it doesn't really feel like Byron has changed at all. He's considerate in his own way, but I can't imagine that's the way Roark is looking for. Brock is an excellent comparison, I think, in his episodes with his father. It feels each individual episode comes to some sort of happy conclusion, but the plot point is reused again and again. Even though this conflict will probably repeat itself, I think again we as the viewers, and Ash and company as the ones observing this in the episode, are not meant to judge this matter in who's right or wrong. What we do see, definitively, is that family relations are extremely important, which all characters agree on. But how those relationships should be really carried out is something that's not so clear at all; it's quite confusing, to be honest.

Byron is fantastic character, and his quirkiness makes this episode start out quite excellently. The fun of the episode really dies out for the TR battle, but that's okay; that still leaves 2/3 of the episode being superior, hilarious entertainment. I like, in general, how the Sinnoh gym leaders are all realistic, in the sense they have real personalities and real problems/faults. Fantina's tendency not to be at the gym as well as the way she tries to show off in using Ash's counter-shield as her own move (I consider this showing-off, anyway), Gardenia's seemingly shallow personality while being a very serious person-especially the way she plays on James's conscience to get him to give her Cacnea-, Maylene's confidence troubles, and Roark's and Byron's family issues here (Roark also had the advantage of having his gym battles with both Paul and Ash shown; he also, like Fantina, really showed his competitive nature at the sight of an usual move from Ash, the spinning move, which Ash used to his advantage at some important moments). Crasher Wake is only gym leader who was really bland, and, fittingly enough, he provided the easiest gym battle Ash has had so far in Sinnoh. All of these gym leaders feel like real people, in that Ash and company have just as much right to judge them as they have to judge him, which I really like. I think it works b/c of how long Ash has traveled; I get the feeling he's really interested in learning about these people.

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok. It was great to see Byron for the 1st time. Interesting how we find out that Byron is Roark's father. It was cool to see Bastiodon for the 1st time. The Bastiodon vs Rampardos battle was really cool, I like Rampardos much better. It was cool how they made an analogy/symbolism of Bastiodon being a shield, and Rampardos being a spear. Roark looks so cute as a young boy. It would've been cool to see who won, but TR just had to interrupt the battle...

60/100

Weird how everyone kept sliding across the floor whenever Byron mentioned holes.......

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I loved the drama between Byron and Roark here; seeing a father and son bicker warmed my heart. Seeing their Rampardos and Bastiodon battle was cool as well and seeing Team Rocket's scheme with the drill seemed basic, but I suppose that it was a catalyst for Byron and Roark bonding and ending their argument. It could've been worse imo.