1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

And if unbuyable items start being sold (Ether)? Would you like? Why? Why not?

Discussion in 'Poképolls' started by Ditto B1tch, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Rare Candy and Ether are some of items that you cannot buy in the any game. They're quite precious and useful, though. As they aren't sold in any place, you have to think twice before using one. I would use my Ether usually in Elite Four, and in at the first time only. The Rare Candies I usually don't need, but in that case, I would use a Rare Candy if get stuck at an in-game battle (rival, gym leader, for example). The saddest part on using an unbuyable item is that you won't use another further when run out of them as they're limited. They'll be gone forever... So, here comes the question of the thread:

Would you like if some unbuyable items start to be available in shops? Which items could went on sale and which could still be limited? Why??? Do you think that if they went on sale, the game will become easier? It doesn't need to be in every blue-roof Market, but in special and unique shops, like the herbs. Also, I used Rare Candy and Ether as example, but you can mention other unbuyable items like Elixir, Old Gateau and White Herb.

Also, don't say that Pickup ability solves que Rare Candy issue. The chances of a Pokemon picking up a Rare Candy are extremely low to provide Rare Candies often.

2. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Rare Candies shouldn't be sold because it makes leveling up too easy.

I do think that Ether and all its variations should be sold, though, it's really annoying if you're out training or clearing a long dungeon and you're pretty much forced to return to a healing spot because you ran out of PP.

Also, PP Up should be sold as well. If you can buy Iron, Calcium, Carbos, HP Up and all that stuff there's no reason why you can't buy PP Up as well. Especially when you already have PP Max as a rare, unsellable item.

3. Thunderstrike18

Thunderstrike18 Sandāsutoraiku

I would like all those items to be sold in pokestores because,

First off, like you said they aren't infinite. And with the pickup ability, it's extremely low to find one. And if they started selling them at the stores it would solve all the problems.

Second off, They would have to be at a really high price so you would like buy 500 of them at a time.

Third, those items are rare for a reason, so they should only be available at some of the stores. If they were at all of the stores throughout the game, you would just be able to go into any of them and but them in like a crazy shopping spree.

And that's why I thought you should be able to buy them.

But, in other words they shouldn't be sold because it would be way to easy to level up your Pokemon through out the game.

So, it can go either way.

4. ebevan91

ebevan91 Well-Known Member

We should be able to buy a limited amount of ethers and elixirs. Maybe a few per badge or something like that.

5. Firebrand

Firebrand Indomitable

*points to Join Avenue, where all of those things, or at least many things with the same properties, are for sale*

6. Rakurai

Rakurai Well-Known Member

You already can buy ethers and PP Ups in B/W 2 from Join Avenue, just once a day.

7. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

PP Up can be bought via Join Avenue
    Ethers can be bought via Join Avenue or found in the Dream World
    Old Gateau can be bought via Join Avenue (even though in BW/2 its best usage is to sell to the maniac)
    Rare Candy is buyable at Battle Subway/PWT, found in the Dream World, or farmed from Sports Dome Breeders in BW2
    White Herb is buyable at Battle Subway/PWT, just like most of the one-off hold items
    Elixirs can be found in the Dream World

The point of making the items unable to be purchased in normal shops is to make these other methods of obtaining them worthwhile. None of them are really necessary to the quest, so what's the harm?

The only items I'd like to see introduced to shops, probably shopping malls, would be PP Up/PP Max (for 14,400 and 43,200 yen, respectively; 50% more than the other steroids, so it's a fair price), because they're a pain to get in large quantities in Gen V, and elemental Stones (Fire, Water, Thunder, Leaf, for 2100 yen, their original price), since they were available for purchase in RBGYFRLG, and there's an even greater need for them in Gen V, what with all the new Pokemon that evolve with them, especially Water and Leaf.

8. Jdrawer

Jdrawer ...

I say nay, for the simple fact that with enough time, you could be level 100 before Brock w/o any training. Well, I'd like to be able to buy Ethers, since I can buy Potions... But Rare Candies are kinda cheap; you don't get as many IVs/EVs, so why bother? I only use them if I need an HM slave to evolve or right before the E4.

9. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

I would say a definite no to Rare Candies, cheapens things up to much.

That said, it would be nice to be able to buy Ether and the like, since it is really annoying to have to defeat 100 pokemon to EV train early on, and only have 40-50 PP. Just make things easier.

10. Moonrox

Moonrox Shaymin Enthusiast

There's no reason, considering they're already available through other means.

You obviously know nothing about competetive and just heard someone else say that.

11. Ditto B1tch

Rare Candies help the Pokemon level up, but don't help the Pokemon with the EV's. If the trainer forgets to trainer the Pokemon on the usual way (against other Pokemons), he/she will have a high Level Pokemon with low stats.

Yes, to maintain the difficult of the game Rare Candies should be very expensive. Therefore, you couldn't buy 500 at once, as you said. A fair price could be around $20,000 in my viewpoint. Oh, could you pay all that for just a candy? >.<

I have started to play Black 2 recently, so I didn't know that some of the unbuyable items have become buyable. However, it seems it was put a barrier to buy them (just once a day, as you said). This is probably to prevent players to acquire high ammounts.

PP Up/PP Max are good suggestion. It is expected that they should be rather expensive because of their effect.

And about the elemental stones, I agree with you. Hope they come back for sales again soon.

12. Rakurai

The value of Rare Candy has diminished considerably thanks to the level up services at Join Avenue (Which cost 4500 per level at max discount), the breeder in the sports domes giving you one every single time you battle them (Which can be repeated indefinitely), and the massive amounts of EXP you can obtain from the Chansey and Blissey in White Treehollow.

PP ups have also gotten even more common due to being able to receive four Star Pieces whenever you film a movie with maximum earnings at Pokestar Studios.

13. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

You balance that by making them rare or expensive.

I never really checked out Join Avenue, I'll have to take a look at the list. But I do think some of these should be sold outside Join Avenue.

Why exactly does PP Up need to be more expensive than the others? It's not any more overpowered than boost your stats.

Either that or just make evolution items easier to obtain. They don't necessarily need to be sold. Although if they would be sold, I'd probably sell them through something like Join Avenue.

14. Bulba the Great!

Bulba the Great! We Do Not Sow

While I feel many of the unobtainable items are too sacred to become common shop items, I would like to see elemental stones made available again like in Kanto; only with the hitch that they must be found in the wild first.

15. Ditto B1tch

Since TM's have become infinte in Gen V, I've gathered a lot of money and got nowhere to spend it quickly. As we don't need to worry anymore to buy 3 Ice Beam at Game Corner, for example, introducing rare items to shops were a good way to make people still looking for money as these limited items were supposed to be expensive if they were for sale.

16. EonDragonFTW

EonDragonFTW Well-Known Member

They should sell rare candies, but only after you best the Pokemon league a second time and for a super high price

17. ToeyJoey

ToeyJoey Forward...

I don't use items, I hoard them, so it would be of little consequence to me.

18. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

If you go by the values of the items in the PWT, Rare Candies are worth 24 times as much as steroids. So, logically, they should sell for 235,200 yen.

If you go by the values of the items in the Battle Frontier, Rare Candies are worth 48 times as much as steroids. So, logically, they should sell for 470,400 yen.

Can you earn extra PP by battling Pokemon and earning Exp.?

And you know that the price of TMs has risen drastically to compensate for the fact you only need one, right?

19. GreatGonzales

GreatGonzales The Master

Depends on the item. PP-replenishing items such as ether and elixir should be sold. (Why aren't they?) They aren't "too good", or cheating material or anything of that nature. They're useful, especially while facing the pokemon league.

TMs should stay the same. Some can be bought, most can't be. It creates a challenge and something to do. Rare candies shouldn't exist. Period. It literally defeats the purpose of the entire game.

20. Rakurai

I don't think getting your Pokemon to level 100 is the purpose of the game.