• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

And now for something completely different...

AlCario

Banned
Most of you who visit this place regularly will know me as a capable rater with (of course) room for improvement, but not as someone who creates a lot of teams. Anyway, I really wanted to get into Wi-fi battling, which has somehow passed me by until now, so here's what I have. I'm trying a new strategy of mine, so be sure to tell me what you think. I'll also be using this against friends, and it (or something similar) will replace my current, rather lacking, in-game team.

Metagross@Leftovers
Adamant
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Stealth Rock

A slight variation on the standard lead, this Metagross does not have Explosion so that he might come back in the mid-late game. If I recieve the potential Attack boost from MM, he can stay in and sweep, otherwise I eliminate the opposing lead before switching out and saving him for the mid-late game.

Zapdos@Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-HP Grass
-Roost

Standard, as far as I know. Also probably one of the better Scizor counters in the game, though that's not entirely why I'm using him. Zapdos makes a fine special sweeper, with STAB Thunderbolt, Heat Wave for coverage, and HP Grass for Grounds, particularly Swampert.

Kingdra@Lum Berry
Adamant
144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest/Sub

A variation on the SubDance Kingdra that I tried, which seems to be working. For some reason, Kingdra is a magnet for status moves, which is why the Lum. The Lum can also wake me from Sleep or revive me from Outrage's confusion. Opinions would be nice.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Protect

Essentially my team's Physical wall. He has no way of directly dealing damage, but is a lifesaver when it comes to Stat boosters. His primary focus is to bait Electric attacks so that Dugtrio can come in and get an easy kill. He also sets up Spikes while he waits for something to happen. Protect to scout out moves.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Calm
188 HP / 68 SpA / 252 SpD
-Toxic
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Surf

My special wall, I chose him over Bliss because of capacity to bait Electric attacks. Toxic and Protect to Toxic stall, Surf for STAB and Ice Beam for coverage. EV help would be since, since I'm thinking of moving some into SpA, but I'm not sure how much.

Dugtrio@Choice Band
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Return

This guy is hilarious fun if you use him right. Usually, my two walls bait Electric attacks and he comes in to eliminate the threat. He's a useful counter for Magnezone, Starmie and Latias among others.

This team may not be the best I have to offer, but I would like to see what you guys think of my 'baiting' tactic. It may seem gimmicky, but it has proven to be quite effective.

EDIT: Also, there are probably a few obvious mistakes, since I made a few changes without really thinking about them properly, and I can't be bothered to look for them right now.

So tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Most of you who visit this place regularly will know me as a capable rater with (of course) room for improvement, but not as someone who creates a lot of teams. Anyway, I really wanted to get into Wi-fi battling, which has somehow passed me by until now, so here's what I have. I'm trying a new strategy of mine, so be sure to tell me what you think. I'll also be using this against friends, and it (or something similar) will replace my current, rather lacking, in-game team.

Metagross@Leftovers
Adamant
240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch
-Stealth Rock

A slight variation on the standard lead, this Metagross does not have Explosion so that he might come back in the mid-late game. If I recieve the potential Attack boost from MM, he can stay in and sweep, otherwise I eliminate the opposing lead before switching out and saving him for the mid-late game. Fine. You could swap one of the Steel attacks for Ice Punch, but that's not really for a LeadGross.

Zapdos@Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-HP Grass
-Roost

Standard, as far as I know. Also probably one of the better Scizor counters in the game, though that's not entirely why I'm using him. Zapdos makes a fine special sweeper, with STAB Thunderbolt, Heat Wave for coverage, and HP Grass for Grounds, particularly Swampert. Yep, it's standard. And excellent.

Kingdra@Lum Berry
Adamant
144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest/Sub

A variation on the SubDance Kingdra that I tried, which seems to be working. For some reason, Kingdra is a magnet for status moves, which is why the Lum. The Lum can also wake me from Sleep or revive me from Outrage's confusion. Opinions would be nice. Well, it's interesting. I'm not sure how much I like it, but it's definitely workable for this team. No mistakes with the spread that I can see, so that's good.

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 176 Def / 64 SpD / 16 Spe
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Protect

Essentially my team's Physical wall. He has no way of directly dealing damage, but is a lifesaver when it comes to Stat boosters. His primary focus is to bait Electric attacks so that Dugtrio can come in and get an easy kill. He also sets up Spikes while he waits for something to happen. Protect to scout out moves. What did you tell me once about making Skarm a mixed defender? Something to the effect of: "It's like trying to get a cat to do situps?" What is 16 Spe going to do? And whatever it's for, you might as well move the SpD into Def.

Vaporeon@Leftovers
Calm
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
-Toxic
-Protect
-Ice Beam
-Surf

My special wall, I chose him over Bliss because of capacity to bait Electric attacks. Toxic and Protect to Toxic stall, Surf for STAB and Ice Beam for coverage. EV help would be since, since I'm thinking of moving some into SpA, but I'm not sure how much. Run 188Hp, that's enough for you to reach the first step down from the max on the Leftovers recovery chain. It'll reduce his bulk a little, but it's really the best option here. Put the rest into SpA, that lets Vappy comfortably OHKO Chomp, Nite, and Mence with Ice Beam.

Dugtrio@Choice Band
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Return

This guy is hilarious fun if you use him right. Usually, my two walls bait Electric attacks and he comes in to eliminate the threat. He's a useful counter for Magnezone, Starmie and Latias among others. Not a bad idea. Set looks fine, but are you sure you don't want Jolly for the nature?

This team may not be the best I have to offer, but I would like to see what you guys think of my 'baiting' tactic. It may seem gimmicky, but it has proven to be quite effective.

EDIT: Also, there are probably a few obvious mistakes, since I made a few changes without really thinking about them properly, and I can't be bothered to look for them right now.

So tell me what you think!

Overall, I think the strategy is pretty sound, but several bulky water types ruin this team, Swampert being the foremost. I know Dos figures as a counter for it, but HP Grass might not OHKO him for certain sets. Heatran also puts this team in serious jepeordy, but Metagross can probably deal with him if it doesn't get outsped. Dugtrio destroys him, but Swampert washes him out easily. My advice? Be careful how you use this, it could work, but it could just as easily backfire and smack you in the face. You know the drill.

Last edited:

AlCario

Banned
Thanks for the rate, Eon.

Overall, I think the strategy is pretty sound, but several bulky water types ruin this team, Swampert being the foremost. I know Dos figures as a counter for it, but HP Grass might not OHKO him for certain sets.

True. This is a slight threat, but after Spikes and SR 252 HP/216 SpD Pert is OKHO'd by HP. Also, since these tend to be the CursePerts, Skarmory can wall and Whirlwind. It might cause some problems, but nothing that will ruin the team.

Heatran also puts this team in serious jepeordy, but Metagross can probably deal with him if it doesn't get outsped. Dugtrio destroys him, but Swampert washes him out easily.

Even if I find Heatran and Swampert on the same team, a fine thing called Arena Trap will ensure that Heatran is KO'd when it and Dugtrio are out on the field together.

What did you tell me once about making Skarm a mixed defender? Something to the effect of: "It's like trying to get a cat to do situps?" What is 16 Spe going to do? And whatever it's for, you might as well move the SpD into Def.

Ah, yes. If I recall, you were running 220 SpD Careful or something. The standard for Skarm (as you probably know) is 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def /16 Spe. However, since I'm not using Attack on this set, I figured I'd move the Atk EVs into SpD, for added survivability. Even with some EVs in SpD, his job on the team is still quite clearly as a physical wall. 176 Def EVs means that Skarm has 396 Def, meaning that it can take a considerable amount of physical hits with some EVs left over, and I figured that I'd put them somewhere useful. You're right about the Spe EVs, though, all they do is outspeed Adamant Rhyperior, which is pretty useless. I'll change them right away.

Run 188Hp, that's enough for you to reach the first step down from the max on the Leftovers recovery chain. It'll reduce his bulk a little, but it's really the best option here. Put the rest into SpA, that lets Vappy comfortably OHKO Chomp, Nite, and Mence with Ice Beam.

Sure thing. Thanks for the advice.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Thanks for the rate, Eon.

Sure:)

True. This is a slight threat, but after Spikes and SR 252 HP/216 SpD Pert is OKHO'd by HP. Also, since these tend to be the CursePerts, Skarmory can wall and Whirlwind. It might cause some problems, but nothing that will ruin the team.

Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of MixPert. Those things are probably the biggest threat to your team.

Even if I find Heatran and Swampert on the same team, a fine thing called Arena Trap will ensure that Heatran is KO'd when it and Dugtrio are out on the field together.

Ahhh, forgot about Arena Trap. That's fine then.

Ah, yes. If I recall, you were running 220 SpD Careful or something. The standard for Skarm (as you probably know) is 252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def /16 Spe. However, since I'm not using Attack on this set, I figured I'd move the Atk EVs into SpD, for added survivability. Even with some EVs in SpD, his job on the team is still quite clearly as a physical wall. 176 Def EVs means that Skarm has 396 Def, meaning that it can take a considerable amount of physical hits with some EVs left over, and I figured that I'd put them somewhere useful. You're right about the Spe EVs, though, all they do is outspeed Adamant Rhyperior, which is pretty useless. I'll change them right away.

Sort of. For the (horrible) Skarm set that I ran that was so messy, the spread was 252Hp/108Def/200SpD with an Impish nature. Now that I see your reasoning, I'm fine with it.

Sure thing. Thanks for the advice.

No problem. That's the standard for Bold Vappy, and since you've reversed the SpD and Def for your spread, the same still stands.