• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Angry about fairy type!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
And what's so bad about '' sounding girly '' or whatever? Is femininity suddenly bad? I don't really understand this mindset.

Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

I'm not saying femininity is bad, but considering how Pokémon tends to appeal more to boys than girls, it feels a bit out of place to me. I'm sure the young girl players will be all "YAAAAAAY" while the boys go "Ugh!", but yeah. If "fairy" has more of a special attack moveset and it's almost magical in a way, it could've also worked with "Wizard-type" or even "Magician/Sorcerer-type". *shrugs* I just personally can't take "fairy" seriously on its own. So hopefully the moves and Pokémon are really cool so it'll be a "beware the nice ones" reveal in a way.

MegaSerperior

<--- My life
I'll admit, I'm not completely accepting this Fairy type stuff, but I do believe you're overreacting. I agree that it is pretty late to add in a new type, but it will help balance the metagame against the Dragons that you see everywhere.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
It's not that the type is too good, it's the mons themselves. (Again, I'm talking about Dragon Type).

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
...shouldn't it have been called "magic type" or something? Because "Fairy type" sounds way too girly to me...

It's really not that girly. In the old stories, fairies would do stuff like tearing people's faces off, cutting out housewives' tongues, stripping all the flesh from a horse in under four minutes...
Also if it helps, there's this guy.

@ cantavanda:
I understand you're frustrated, but it doesn't make your dragons worthless, rather it levels the playing field a little. As for re-calculating your team, don’t you do that for new games anyways? So that you can include new pokemon?

Honestly, I think I would have preferred something other that Fairy, but I think we should at least give it a chance. I’m sure they put a lot of work into figuring out how the new type should be incorporated, and while there’s bound to be a flaw or two, I’m sure it’ll be pretty much fair.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
I actually really like the idea. Much better than "Light-type" (I would have screamed because that's just so cliched to me D; ). I also like that they are shaking things up, it'll make game play more interesting.

Janice Quatlane

helloooo ladies
I actually LIKE fairy type. I think it's pretty cool. Now I can finally build teams around cuteness! ^-^ 3 weaknesses for dragon - So? Dragon is still powerful, and it just gives you another way to make a great team. Hopefully, in X and Y there might be a few less weather teams...

Grei

not the color
I'm giggling at all of the fans who think they have the audacity to make any judgments about this type. It was revealed today, and we haven't even gotten a chance to see it in-depth. Anybody who is honestly griping about this thinks much too highly of themselves and their opinion.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's really not that girly. In the old stories, fairies would do stuff like tearing people's faces off, cutting out housewives' tongues, stripping all the flesh from a horse in under four minutes...
Also if it helps, there's this guy.

True, but a lot of kids these days don't know about that (not Jorgen--maybe). Whether it's because of Disney or Barbie or whatnot, fairies has become more of a girly product. Outside of Harry Potter and Pan's Labyrinth (off the top of my head), whenever you see fairies, they act all cute and girly, and look feminine, too. I'm sure most of us here who haven't taken mythology or just don't care for it think of that whenever we hear or read the word "fairy".

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
I'm giggling at all of the fans who think they have the audacity to make any judgments about this type. It was revealed today, and we haven't even gotten a chance to see it in-depth. Anybody who is honestly griping about this thinks much too highly of themselves and their opinion.

So people can't dislike something? I think you think too highly of yourself and your opinion, because you obviously think you can pass your judgement down on others from what you obviously seem to think of as a moral haven.

Gurk

Good. You can never understand the mindset of a woman.

I'm not saying femininity is bad, but considering how Pokémon tends to appeal more to boys than girls, it feels a bit out of place to me. I'm sure the young girl players will be all "YAAAAAAY" while the boys go "Ugh!", but yeah. If "fairy" has more of a special attack moveset and it's almost magical in a way, it could've also worked with "Wizard-type" or even "Magician/Sorcerer-type". *shrugs* I just personally can't take "fairy" seriously on its own. So hopefully the moves and Pokémon are really cool so it'll be a "beware the nice ones" reveal in a way.

But you are saying that because the fairy type has feminine connotations, you think it's silly and doesn't fit well with the game (that is, by your words, mostly targeted for males), and it will only be received well by other female players and men won't like it. So basically you are saying that feminine things can't be taken seriously, and that's um, what should I call it, misogyny? And so what if it appeals more to women? I'm not a woman, but I'm fully supportive of Fairy type and super excited, not because it's '' feminine '' because I don't see it as that, but because it's mystical and interesting. Fairy type has actually no connotations to femininity or the female gender, and even if it actually did, then that wouldn't be bad at all, it wouldn't be silly, it wouldn't be out-of-place just because of that.

And I don't think that Magic/Sorcerer(or -ess/Wizard could have worked. Fairy type was probably only implemented to bring a huge threat to Dragons. So I think it fits well that another mythical creature, a fairy, is the one to do the stomping of the dragons. Not Light or Magic types, but Fairy types. And AFAIK, dragons in mythological tales, are usually killed with weapons made by Fairies or Elves, or just by Fairies and their magic. So it fits well.

Though nobody would be complaining if the type would have been called Fae or something, which is outright stupid. But I guess the hot-blooded testosterone-driven teenage boys who are afraid of liking anything '' feminine '' and afraid of people calling them gay for playing a game with a Fairy type (or have pokemons with a Fairy type in their team) will all settle down once a gym leader/Elite Four member will be introduced that only uses fairy types, and happens to be a cool/badass/epic barbarian dude.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
True, but a lot of kids these days don't know about that (not Jorgen--maybe). Whether it's because of Disney or Barbie or whatnot, fairies has become more of a girly product. Outside of Harry Potter and Pan's Labyrinth (off the top of my head), whenever you see fairies, they act all cute and girly, and look feminine, too. I'm sure most of us here who haven't taken mythology or just don't care for it think of that whenever we hear or read the word "fairy".

True, in western culture 'fairy' has been marketed at girls, but seeing as pokemon is worldwide, the Japanese creators may not be thinking of it quite the same way... after all Soot Demons and Totoro are considered fairies (even if the English translators called him a troll).

Last edited:

randomspot555

So people can't dislike something?

All opinions are not equal. Being "angry" about a new type of a game that isn't released that we have relatively little information on, from a game no one has played, is a dumb, uninformed opinion. It is just the latest in the "it is new, therefore it sucks" opinions of the fandumb that happens near the beginning of every generation.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
I understand that, but there's a difference between disliking someone for valid reasons and saying "OH MY GODZ POKEMANZ RUINED FOREVERZ!" I dislike Fairy type, but solely for the reason that I feel it to be unnecessary and forced. Otherwise, I don't really care. (Also, I dislike that they're giving the new type an Eeveelution rather than say Steel type, I hope that changes).

Ditto B1tch

I liked the idea of a fairy type and don't think that it'll unbalance the game. We have many Pokemons that are related to fairies and it is rather predictable which will have the type changed.

About recalculating the teams, that has always been happenning on every generation.

And though dragons gain a weakness, they'll still be powerful and overused if compared to other types.

Last edited:

Enjolras

Master of the House
I like the idea of a fairy type and don't think that it'll unbalance the game.

About recalculating the teams, that has been happened always on every generation.

And though dragons gain a weakness, they'll still be powerful and overused if compared to other types.

Exactly. Three weaknesses is still very few.

Joerus

Blazing Trainer
So many opinions on this new type, that I just gotta put mine out there. Why in the world is it called Fairy? Why not do this instead: 1- Rename it Light. 2- Make it super effective on Dark. 3- Make it immune to Dark. 4- Make it weak to Psychic. 5- Make Psychic resist Light. 6- Get rid of the super effectiveness on Dragon. And as for Sylveon being this type, I have one thing to say: Stupid Pokémon! You should have made Sylveon the Flying-type instead! This is my opinion, and I will only change it if I like the new info that is revealed it about later on. Until then, I officially hate this type.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
So many opinions on this new type, that I just gotta put mine out there. Why in the world is it called Fairy? Why not do this instead: 1- Rename it Light. 2- Make it super effective on Dark. 3- Make it immune to Dark. 4- Make it weak to Psychic. 5- Make Psychic resist Light. 6- Get rid of the super effectiveness on Dragon. And as for Sylveon being this type, I have one thing to say: Stupid Pokémon! You should have made Sylveon the Flying-type instead! This is my opinion, and I will only change it if I like the new info that is revealed it about later on. Until then, I officially hate this type.

Why Light?

The-End

Banned
Come on people. It's just a new type, the Steel and Dark types were introduced in Generation II. I'm really glad there's another type in the series now.

Status
Not open for further replies.