• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animé Suggestion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
Not sure if any one still uses this thread any more?xD
LOL.

Soooooo I finished watching this anime called Princess Jellyfish the other day. I'm not really into Shoujo anime so much, I mean, I don't mind it but this anime was AMAZING.
I really enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was the ending though. Obviously I could tell right away that they had to end it because of budget cuts or they were ahead of the manga. It was just too obvious. It just like, left off like, in the middle of the story?
It really ticked me off.xD
But over all, it was really great. And the main character fbrdejskghfbdnjesk. I love her. I felt so much of a connection to her!! <3 She was just so... realistic.
Urgh, I don't think I can find a Shoujo anime that would be better than this one. It just...gave me a lot of feels.xD They did such a good job with it.
I just wish they would have continues it though... I'll check the manga though when I have the time.

So after watching that anime, felt like giving another Shoujo anime a try? So I went with Peach Girl. Looked great but like I JUST COULDN'T FINISH EPISODE 2 AND MOVE ON?
It was like, so dramatic and like fhdejksghfbdnjesa.xD Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad anime. It's so good, I couldn't go on, that's why. You know when you watch something, and it just gets so tense you can't go on watching?xD Yup, that's how I felt.

lol, anyway's, there's this anime I want to watch, but the first episode sort of turned me off?
It's called Texhnolyze. I'm a huge Evangelion and Lain fan, so I wanted to watch a new anime similar to these 2. So, I stumbled upon this one.
But like, I didn't go on to episode 2 because I just wasn't too crazy about episode 1. During the whole episode, there were like, 4 lines? Though, there were some scenes that looked WAY too cool. But most of the time, it looked too dark, I could barley see and I had no clue what was going on.xD
But I just knowwwwwwww that I'll probably LOVE it!! I can just tell for some reason. I just need to push myself to continue.xD
But have any of you guys seen it? If so, was it really good? I heard the ending was super sad as well.~

Young Marmalade

Pizza Rank
I just finished K-on!, and it's not terrible. I know that show is already popular, but I held off watching it for a long time. I recommend it to anyone who likes "slice of life" stuff. It's laid back and humorous.

D

Deleted member 300066

Looking to get into Anime

So I'm looking to get into anime, but honestly have no idea where to start, I admittedly have streamed Fullmetal Alchemist up to about episode 30, but have stopped now, I plan on ordering the brotherhood box set around June.

I'm only looking for English dubbed anime. I would also like something that is reasonably long (40+ episodes) but not long to the point where I would be breaking the bank by buying it, if its super long but I can still get it for a pretty low price, then that's fine. Speaking of buying it, It would be good if I could order it quite cheaply online, preferably from a large retailer like Amazon or Play, I would have to put in full debit card details, as I cannot have a paypal account under 18, so don't really want to order from smaller retailers. If it is on UK netflix that would be great, but the selection seems very limited, I do plan on seeing if I like D. Gray-man on Netflix.

Regarding the actual plot of the anime, I absolutely loved what I watched of FMA, so something with similar action and story would be good, plenty surprises and plot twists, and interesting and characters. Animation quality isn't a huge deal for me, just as long as it isn't awful. I'd like something that isn't fully realistic, has supernatural/magic/alchemy/energy attacks etc, basically something that makes it non-realistic, but 100% realism seems pretty rare in anime. I'm looking for something that isn't aimed at kids, I don't mean full on hardcore sex and violence, just not full-on kiddy, I enjoyed that FMA had quite a mature storyline.

Anime's that are finished would be good, but an ongoing anime isn't a deal-breaker.

I'm not interested in the pokemon anime.

Last edited by a moderator:

absolalone111

So I'm looking to get into anime, but honestly have no idea where to start, I admittedly have streamed Fullmetal Alchemist up to about episode 30, but have stopped now, I plan on ordering the brotherhood box set around June.

I'm only looking for English dubbed anime. I would also like something that is reasonably long (40+ episodes) but not long to the point where I would be breaking the bank by buying it, if its super long but I can still get it for a pretty low price, then that's fine. Speaking of buying it, It would be good if I could order it quite cheaply online, preferably from a large retailer like Amazon or Play, I would have to put in full debit card details, as I cannot have a paypal account under 18, so don't really want to order from smaller retailers. If it is on UK netflix that would be great, but the selection seems very limited, I do plan on seeing if I like D. Gray-man on Netflix.

Regarding the actual plot of the anime, I absolutely loved what I watched of FMA, so something with similar action and story would be good, plenty surprises and plot twists, and interesting and characters. Animation quality isn't a huge deal for me, just as long as it isn't awful. I'd like something that isn't fully realistic, has supernatural/magic/alchemy etc, but 100% realism seems pretty rare in anime. I'm looking for something that isn't aimed at kids, I enjoyed that FMA had quite a mature storyline.

Anime's that are finished would be good, but an ongoing anime isn't a deal-breaker.

Ok, this fits a few of your criteria, it has an english dub (the best I've ever heard) It has magic and supernatural elements, and isn't aimed at kids. It's called baccano, around 22 episodes, although it's been a while since I've seen it. Back to the not aimed at kids part, in japan it was give the equivalent to an 18 (iirc) so it's going to have a similar rating over here. Oh, and it's finished, although I really wish it wasn't.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

Regarding the actual plot of the anime, I absolutely loved what I watched of FMA, so something with similar action and story would be good, plenty surprises and plot twists, and interesting and characters. Animation quality isn't a huge deal for me, just as long as it isn't awful. I'd like something that isn't fully realistic, has supernatural/magic/alchemy/energy attacks etc, basically something that makes it non-realistic, but 100% realism seems pretty rare in anime. I'm looking for something that isn't aimed at kids, I enjoyed that FMA had quite a mature storyline.

Gurren Lagann has a fantastic dub and I'd recommend it for sure. Aniplex is selling it for god awful amounts of money so try to find the Anime Legends Bandai release on something like Amazon for cheap.
Eureka Seven and Code Geass are both 50 episodes which comes around what you want right? They're also dubbed by Bandai.

D

Deleted member 300066

Ok, this fits a few of your criteria, it has an english dub (the best I've ever heard) It has magic and supernatural elements, and isn't aimed at kids. It's called baccano, around 22 episodes, although it's been a while since I've seen it. Back to the not aimed at kids part, in japan it was give the equivalent to an 18 (iirc) so it's going to have a similar rating over here. Oh, and it's finished, although I really wish it wasn't.

I looked it up on imdb, seems like an interesting anime, the views on Amazon were almost all positive, and its pretty cheap, I'll be sure to look into it. Thanks.

Gurren Lagann has a fantastic dub and I'd recommend it for sure. Aniplex is selling it for god awful amounts of money so try to find the Anime Legends Bandai release on something like Amazon for cheap.
Eureka Seven and Code Geass are both 50 episodes which comes around what you want right? They're also dubbed by Bandai.

Looks like Gurren Lagann is pretty expensive on Amazon right now, I'll look into it and if I like the sound of it, I'll try and grab it if I see it pretty cheap.

I've seen Code Geass mentioned here a lot, sounds pretty interesting from the imdb description, and a nice length. Pretty Good price and ratings on Amazon also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I would recommend Mobile Suit Gundam 00 but like Gurren Lagann, it's super pricey on Amazon due to Bandai shutting down their cartoon distribution branch. It's really good though, it's main cast though similar is diverse and makes for a great science fiction war drama. The dub (by Ocean; the same people who provide the voice work for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) has a few cracks in it but it's solid overall.

Tiger and Bunny's also pretty good too, it's a newer title with the second half of the series coming out later this month. It does relies on its characters as opposed to plot but it does a fine job with that while feeling fresh yet comfortable. There is some CGI (3D animation) used frequently but it's not that bad, I though I'd mention it because I know a lot of people mind. The dub is also good and fits the setting more. To boot, the blu-ray has some awesome bonus features!

What's with all the mention of mecha shows (bar Baccano)?

Nevmaster

Prince of the Sea
I'd recommend Sword Art Online (I found that it had a rather interesting story, and it does have parts where it's really funny), and Magi. Both of them run rather short, but I really, really enjoyed watching them.

AceFlonne

Mediator
I'd recommend Sword Art Online (I found that it had a rather interesting story, and it does have parts where it's really funny), and Magi. Both of them run rather short, but I really, really enjoyed watching them.

I wouldn't recommend Magi though due to it's extremely rushed paced,skipped small or big details from the manga and they butchered characters liked Alibaba.

For Sword Art Online. I recommend it despite it has plot holes and a Gary Stu but I enjoyed it

Last edited:

Nevmaster

Prince of the Sea
I wouldn't recommend Magi though due to it's extremely rushed paced,skipped small or big details from the manga and they butchered characters liked Alibaba.

Hmmm...I guess it doesn't help that I've never read the manga then. Maybe I should try and find it somewhere. 'Cause if it's missing as many details as you say it is, it should be an interesting read.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
Yeah, but the anime was still good. I myself haven't read the manga. And I do agree that it felt a bit rushed.
But I stilled enjoyed it. I felt like the beginning was slow paced though. But the middle 'till the end was great!
And they released two movies and are making a third one. The third one will be the continuation of the last episode. I also heard they're planning on making a 4th too!
Anyway's, the anime was still great and was very different from the typical magical girl genera. Defiantly would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.