• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animé Suggestion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Dat elevator scene.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I would suggest Gundam Wing to anybody who doesn't mind hearing the D word and is okay with giants Robots. It's only got 45 episodes, but I thought it was really good. Can't say about the other Gundam series, because I've only seen Wing.

As much as I love the Anime, I would not suggest Ronin Warriors unless you like cheesy lines, corniness, it being only 39 episodes, and pretty stale animation. Gawsh, I love that show so much. Yes I'm weird like that.
Oh yeah, and an annoying brat WHO WILL NEVER LEAVE THEM ALONE. That's one of the few things I hate about that show.

To be honest, I've heard of almost none of these animes people are talking about. But maybe I'll check them out eventually...

On the Gundam side, I wholeheartedly endorse G Gundam, too. It's not as serious business as some of the other series, and very, very unabashedly shounen anime-levels of ridiculous... but for this particular series, it just works. It's far more enjoyable for the fact that the show knows how to ham it up and make the action scenes exciting and fun to watch without being put-off by the cheese factor. In literally any other show, the excess overdramatics would be too much and would ruin it.

This goes for the characters too. Some of the scenes are beyond cheesy, but they just... work. You will watch the hamming and you will like it.

I'm seeing a lot of mainstream titles getting recommended here, though... so in an effort to try and make things a little more varied: anyone know of any more obscure titles that don't get the hype and recognition they may deserve?

Zazie

So 1991
I'm seeing a lot of mainstream titles getting recommended here, though... so in an effort to try and make things a little more varied: anyone know of any more obscure titles that don't get the hype and recognition they may deserve?

Define obscure. If forgotten series counts, I know of a few older anime that used to popular but now really obscure. But if you want complete no-name stuff I don't know of many.

Anyway, I would love some recommendations on anime that don't suck*.
For a frame of reference here are a few of anime that don't suck: Outlaw Star, Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon.

*Don't suck in this case meaning similar to anime I like

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Define obscure. If forgotten series counts, I know of a few older anime that used to popular but now really obscure. But if you want complete no-name stuff I don't know of many.

For a frame of reference here are a few of anime that don't suck: Outlaw Star, Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon.

Cowboy Bebop.

Kaiserin

please wake up...

Well, I'm not looking to be super picky about what's "obscure" and what's not, but... I guess anything that wouldn't be considered mainstream? Hell, even something that doesn't have a lot of active fans, but that someone feels ought to for its merits.

I guess just anything that doesn't usually appear in most people's list of OMGSUPERFAVORITE anime series? Old anime that have been forgotten in the passing years count, too.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
No I think I saw a small clip of the last few ep, and it looked pretty good! o:
But I guess I just really like Evangelion, it's just so original and f'd up.xD
I love those sort of things.~

Gurrn Lagann was the SHIZZ!!
ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA.
I kind of liked FMA better than FMA:Brotherhood in some ways.xD Which one was your favourite?

EDIT: I know what you mean...
Hmmm well I can't remember very much titles ATM but here are some...
Nabari No ou
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Ergo Proxy (don't know if that's considered mainstream?)

Last edited:

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy

Mars of Destruction.

Zazie

So 1991
If I were to recommend something that's slightly more obscure then... Kaiji. ParaChomp will back me up on this one. Don't let the art style deter you, this is one hell of a suspenseful show. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I don't see why anyone would hate the art style for Kaiji, it's a lot more distinctive and visiually stiking than most anime. I consider it a selling point.

I saw an episode and it reminded me of Yu-Gi-Oh a little bit, if Yu-Gi-Oh was about gambling instead instead of a card game. Of course its also a lot better than Yu-Gi-Oh. I should watch more if I get the chance.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I kind of liked FMA better than FMA:Brotherhood in some ways.xD Which one was your favourite?
Though Brotherhood is stronger, I will admit, Seiji Mizushima's directing is incredible and is what Brotherhood is missing.

I don't see why anyone would hate the art style for Kaiji, it's a lot more distinctive and visiually stiking than most anime. I consider it a selling point.

I saw an episode and it reminded me of Yu-Gi-Oh a little bit, if Yu-Gi-Oh was about gambling instead instead of a card game. Of course its also a lot better than Yu-Gi-Oh. I should watch more if I get the chance.
Someone who agrees with me. Yes, you should watch more of it if you want an on the edge feeling. If anyone's in for something involving mind games, check Kaiji out, now! It starts out a bit slow but it gets really good. With the number episodes in mind, the length gambles are in a way comparable to the length of Bleach's fights (minus the jumping to the other guy(s)) but the tension that's delivered sucks you in so much that you don't see the time fly by.

If anyone's looking for a good slice of life, Big Windup! and Welcome to the NHK! are great series.

I would recommend Soul Eater for shonen but although it's better than what's popular, it's old news. Trigun's pretty good too but it's old news as well. None the less, if you haven't read the manga, I highly consider you do so.

SGT. Frog might be long (if you watch an episode a day, you'll be done in a year) and suffers from going downhill halfway and possibly of it boring you due to somewhat repetitive material but it's quite funny and worth the watch if you feel like burning some time and need a good laugh. I'd only watch it dubbed if you really like dubs (trust me, you'll face palm a lot). I also recommend not watching it if you don't like tones clearly set towards young children. Otherwise, it's quite enjoyable and possibly worth some of your time.

GloomyHaruka

They/them
Yeah, I thought Brotherhood's story was still amazingly cool.~ But I felt as if it looked to cartoonish for the story. For FMA's animation and drawing style, I felt as if it was done better. Also the directing was better as well.~
I still like FMA: Brotherhood of course, but I guess I liked the first anime version than the manga anime version.xD

gabriels1010

King Scizor
New

Somenthing diferent and great anime !

Name : ANOTHER / date: 2012/01/01 / Episd: 4

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I wonder... how many of you have seen Noein? I thought it was a very good anime. The animation seemed to work for it. The sub is excellent, whe the dub kinda falls flat for most of the cast, except Karasu. Damn you, Crispin Freeman... >///.///<

VizardJeffhog

Music, my plaything
Pandora Hearts! Yes indeed, an awesome series with an extremely twisted take on old tales. The manga at least, the anime doesn't go on for long.

I highly recommend Toriko and Bakuman, and if you're feeling retro, Fist of the North Star. "AAATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!!"

Shinku

neko, desu~
Yes, I've just finished watching Pandora Hearts myself ^^ it's very good, especially if you like Alice in Wonderland based stories.

I dunno if someone mentioned School Days, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.. but those are also good XD

Status
Not open for further replies.