• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anima Ex Machina (PG-15)

gmoyes

Nerd and Proud of it
Wow i've just finished all that. Poor Hoenn.
I wonder if the Ixodida and Deoxys are related. They are both from space, they both have gems in thier middle, the both have different forms and thier names are similar, though that last one must be a conicidence. Doexys is a space virus that was hit by some sort of ray and the Ixodida is a paracite. Too close to be a conicidence.
Keep up the good work and could you add me to your pm list?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Way to go, self. Sorry about the late response, gmoyes.

Wow i've just finished all that.

*high fives* And I mean that honestly because I'm always impressed by anyone who can get through (technically) sixteen chapters in a short time period. Thanks for the review as well, and no problem about the PM list!

I wonder if the Ixodida and Deoxys are related. They are both from space, they both have gems in thier middle, the both have different forms and thier names are similar, though that last one must be a conicidence. Doexys is a space virus that was hit by some sort of ray and the Ixodida is a paracite. Too close to be a conicidence.

Iiiin a roundabout way.

The truth is that while I drew inspiration for the story from a lot of different sources to the point where I can't even remember half of them (seriously), one of them? This fanart series on deviantART. Originally, AEM started off as a plot bunny that had been brewing in my head since about 2006 (one that I never actually told anyone because I was embarrassed by the amount of Bill fic I tend to write), and back then, it was a very different idea. Basically, it involved Pokémon getting infected with Deoxys cores that were raining down on Earth, and due to some headcanon involving Bill and how perfect the Cell Separation System was (i.e., it's my headcanon that he's still part Pokémon on some level because the Cell Separation System most certainly wasn't perfect), he wound up getting fused with a Deoxys core himself. Except there was something faulty with the process (due to his human mind), so that led to him being Earth's only defense against berserk tentacle Pokémon. That, besides the fact that it'd be so damn pretty, is why his jewel is in his chest -- because in my mind, it started out as a Deoxys core.

Of course, since then, it's seriously evolved thanks to my addiction to sci-fi thrillers and violent manga (mmm, Parasyte), but yeah.

Long story short, within the universe of AEM, they're actually not related. (However, I do kinda want to see a Deoxys-Ixodida brawl now.) On a more meta level, way back, they were. Good eye about that, by the way!

And end ramble.

On a few housekeepy notes, I've finally started with the edits to the earlier chapters, so hopefully, I'll be able to get those done soon. Real life is really kicking my tail right now, so.

And! There is now a sixteenth chapter! Side note about the first half of this one? Ignore is repeated a lot. At first it was unintentional, but I ended up liking the effect. Please feel free to tell me if I should stop proofing my chapters drunk it only beats you over the head with the word instead of emphasizing that last line there.

Anima Ex Machina: Sixteen
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

"You're kidding, right?" Veronica deadpanned.

In the examination room of the pokémon center, the police officer observed one of the sights she hoped she wouldn't have to see. It wasn't death, destruction, or mayhem. It was Ellen Joy helping an ixodida get dressed. In human clothing.

Bill wasn't exactly comfortable with the whole idea himself. For one, it made him realize, much to his embarrassment, that he had been completely naked since he first awoke as an ixodida. While he couldn't argue with covering himself up in light of that fact, the fact that the idea never dawned on him until now served as a not-too-kind reminder that his body was far from what he would call human.

For another, clothing felt strange against his skin – almost unpleasant. He felt too warm, and although he could no longer feel the texture and softness of fabric, the way it brushed against his armor felt like it was touching a numb limb. His nerves prickled uncomfortably, perhaps because his nervous system knew it should be feeling something but simply couldn't.

For a third, he couldn't get Adam to shut up about it.

Clothing. Is that what you humans call it? Adam muttered bitterly. Your species must be incredibly vain. Why would you need to cover your bodies? Is there something you all consider repulsive about your form? It is a wonder that any of you breed.

He kept silent, even fixing his jaw to avoid speaking. Craning his neck, he tried to focus on the ceiling while Ellen worked on tightening the leather belt around his waist. The loose material of the gray slacks and the white shirt he wore did wonders to hide his form, but because of his claws, he couldn't do much to put on the disguise himself. He wished he could, not only because he felt embarrassed about having another person dress him but also because it would have given him something else to focus on besides Adam.

Is it an adaptation technique? Adam continued. I noticed that your human form lacked a pelt. All of your skin was thin and flimsy before I changed it. It may be a wonder that you evolved at all. One would think that your kind would die from something as humiliating as exposure shortly after it decided a pelt was unnecessary for survival. It amuses me that your kind could be so fragile and survive. You would hardly be considered the most intelligent species on this planet alone if you must know, and the more intelligent species are far better equipped to handle this planet's environment.

Just ignore him, Bill chanted in his own mind, but he couldn't help but feel as if something was smiling at him with just a little too much teeth.

Luckily, Ellen, having finished with the belt, looked around her companion and proceeded to give him just the distraction he needed.

"We should do something about your tail," she said.

"Hmm?" Bill looked over his shoulder and lifted his tail. "That shouldn't be too difficult. What if I tried this?"

He wormed his tail under his shirt and, while taking care to not let the tip shred the material over his torso, wound it around his midsection in tight circles. Eventually, the last segment disappeared under cotton.

"How does that look?" he asked.

"Well..." Ellen smoothed the fabric over his torso. "It's a little bulky, but if we let your shirt hang the way it is, I don't think anyone would notice."

Veronica crossed her arms and sighed. "This is not going to work."

Ellen sent a glare towards her partner. "What makes you so sure? He looks all right to me."

"So, you plan to have him just pretend to be human for Jirachi knows how long?" Veronica moved her hands to her hips. "How is he supposed to hide the fact that he's an ixodida when we feed him raw meat? And what about all the fighting? He can't exactly keep pretending to be a human when he's using his hands to slice up another ixodida."

She is right, you know.

Bill recoiled, not so much at Veronica's words but more because of Adam's tone. The parasite was practically purring inside his head.

You see, Bill, Adam said, while you can hide as much of our form as you would like, there are things you cannot conceal. Our instincts, for example.

He felt something tingle in his head. His mouth filled with a coppery taste, and he shivered with a sudden pang of hunger. All around him, the air smelled sweet. He knew it was Chansey's scent, but right then, he felt like he wanted to follow it, rip her throat out, and taste the soft flesh beneath her pink fur. A second later, he realized how easily that thought floated into his mind, and clearing his throat, he tried his best to dispel it.

With a quick sweep of his hands, Bill grabbed a pair of leather boots that sat waiting for him beside the examination table. He jammed his feet into them, piercing the paper stuffed into their toes with his claws. The brown leather would have gone up to mid-calf on his human self; now, it braced his heel.

Above him, he listened to Ellen and Veronica's argument continue.

"It's not going to be forever," Ellen replied. "Once we can convince the Caravan that Bill has a good heart and wouldn't hurt anyone traveling with us, he won't have to hide anymore."

"And what about that girl? The one you said recognized him?"

Bill stopped where he was, his fingers halfway done with tying his boots. Lanette. He couldn't begin to imagine what might have happened to her. In his mind, he could envision the way she was before the quarantine. She wasn't exactly what he would call happy-go-lucky, but it was very rare for him to see her without some kind of expression on her face. A smile. A shadow of nervousness. A glint of determination. Something that made her look human.

The Lanette he met recently was cold. Expressionless. Robotic. He could recognize the face anywhere, but the spark that had been there – the part of her that he considered his best friend – was nowhere to be seen. Yet he wanted so much to believe she would help him.

"Well, Nurse Joy?" Veronica asked.

"Okay, I don't know," Ellen replied, "but we'll figure something out. Bill, isn't she a friend of yours?"

Finishing with the boots, Bill kept his eyes on the floor. "Yes."

"Then, what's there to worry about? I'm sure she'll be happy to help us," Ellen told Veronica. "So long as Bill is covered up and isn't causing any trouble, why should any of us worry?"

"Because it's a stupid idea," Veronica snapped. "Look at him! No one's going to believe that!"

Although I would hate to admit to agreeing with a human, she has a point, Adam drawled. Bill, I feel ridiculous wearing human clothing. Take it off.

Doing his best to ignore the parasite, Bill stood. He was just in time for Thom to burst into the room with a bundle in his arms.

"Sorry I'm late!" the boy chirped. "Is he ready yet? Lemme see!"

Veronica rolled her eyes and leaned against the examination table. At the same time, Thom leaned forward and squinted, prompting Bill to reel back slightly.

"Hey!" Thom said. "Not too shabby! This'll work! Here, I've even got a few things to finish it off!"

Before Bill could protest, Thom pulled a puffy, gray hat out of the bundle and jammed it on top of the ixodida's head to cover his horns. The second thing that went on was a red scarf flung around his neck. Finally, Thom shoved a pair of black leather gloves into Bill's hands.

"Here, put these on, and we'll see how it looks!"

Bill blinked in response. Then, carefully, he slipped his hands into the gloves and let his arms fall at his sides. Ellen stepped beside Thom and gazed at the finished outfit as Thom tapped his chin with a finger.

"Y'know, I think everyone out there's a genius. They really outdid themselves this time, didn't they?" Thom said.

Ellen smiled. "It's for a good cause. But they did a great job finding all of this. Bill, you should see yourself before we leave. It's amazing how a few pieces of clothing can make you look so human!"

Bill adjusted his scarf and replied softly, "Do you really think so?"

"Oh yeah. We're not just saying that to be nice. You'll be fine," Thom said. "What d'you think, Officer Jenny?"

For a few moments, she was silent. Then, she huffed and snapped a glare at all three of them.

"And what will the Caravan say when they find out we've been harboring an ixodida?" she snapped.

Right away, Bill felt awkward as Lanette's words echoed through his mind. The ixodida could hunt him down wherever he was. That he understood. What he never thought about was the idea that he would make things even more complicated for the survivors. Would anyone try to help the people of Mauville if anyone found out they were trying to protect him?

"Oh!" Thom suddenly quipped. "That reminds me. The Caravan's already outside."

Veronica turned her full attention to Thom. "What?!"

He pointed a thumb towards the door. "Oh yeah. Arrived here about ten minutes ago. That red-headed girl we told you about said she's looking for the authorities here."

"Why didn't you tell me this first?!"

"I forgot."

"****!"

Veronica balled her hands into fists and gritted her teeth. Then, she exhaled and relaxed her shoulders.

"Y'know," Thom said, "you've gotta relax now and then, officer. Too much stress'll cause a heart attack."

"If assault wasn't a crime, I'd punch you in the face right now, Wattson."

Without another word, Veronica stormed out of the room. Thom stammered out the beginning of a question before quickly following her. All that was left was Ellen and Bill. The nurse turned to her charge and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't let her get to you," she said. "Everything will be fine. We'll make sure of it. You saved us, after all. We can't leave you behind."

He looked into her eyes and nodded. "Thank you, Nurse Joy. This means a lot to me."

Her smile returned as she pulled away and started for the door. "Coming?"

"No, not yet. If it's all right, I'd like to make sure I'm ready to go out there."

Looking over her shoulder at him, she replied, "Of course. Take your time, Bill. The Caravan shouldn't be leaving today."

With that, she glided through the doorway, leaving Bill in a completely empty room. As soon as she was gone, Bill raised his hands and stared at the gloves. He flexed the fingers experimentally and listened to the creak of the hide.

Then, he lost feeling in his left hand.

Grabbing his wrist with his free hand, he tried to keep his arm from moving as it strained to rise on its own.

"Adam!" Bill hissed. "What are you doing?"

You were ignoring me, it answered. Therefore, I will take action myself.

The left hand yanked the glove off the right and started tugging on the scarf. Bill gagged and grabbed for the red material around his neck.

"Isn't this a little petty?" he coughed.

In a flash, he felt numb all over as his body acted on its own. It took off the scarf and gradually slipped its hand out of the other glove.

"Not at all," Adam said with his mouth. "Listen, Bill, we need to talk about this Caravan. About that girl, Lanette."

Shuddering, Bill felt his consciousness slip forward, and his body once again started responding to his own will.

"I'd listen to you, even if you didn't take such drastic measures!" Bill objected.

"Somehow, I doubt that. You seem distracted."

Bill shook his head. "Will you stop that?! I thought the whole point of making me the dominant mind was because you didn't want to have control over this body!"

"Oh, Bill, you can be entirely too naïve sometimes. I am what you would call a parasite. Of course I would want control over your body. The problem is I lack the ability to do so for extended periods of time." Adam paused. "Does this disturb you that much?"

Grimacing, Bill responded, "Of course it does! Why wouldn't I be disturbed by the fact that I don't even have the free will to move on my own all the time?!"

It got your attention, did it not?

Sighing, Bill turned and placed his hands on the examination table. He closed his eyes and bowed his head.

"All right, Adam," he murmured. "I'll listen to you. Just... don't do that anymore, okay?"

Very well.

Bill snatched the gloves and scarf again. He leaned against the examination table and began to slip the gloves on. Suddenly, his tail unwound from his waist and yanked itself from between the rest of his body and the table behind him. Before Bill could correct his balance, he smacked his back against padding and stumbled to the floor. The arrowhead tip flashed beside him, and he glared at it.

"What did I just say?!" he snapped.

I find you amusing. Besides, you should learn to stop thinking of this as your body when it is ours. After all, you did not have a tail. This is completely mine.

Bill growled and looked away. He didn't want to watch something he knew was attached to him act on its own, let alone think about Adam's point with any depth.

"You were saying something about the Caravan and Lanette?" he asked.

Adam hesitated, and the arrowhead tip of the tail tipped downward. Bill, I realize this may be difficult for you, but if we are to succeed in our mission, then we must learn to work together. You must trust my judgment and listen to me when I have something important to say.

"What is this all ab--"

Bill turned his head sharply, only to come face to face with the point of his tail. He stopped short, watching the tip carefully as it came close to his face. There, it hovered, tilting and bobbing with Adam's every word.

I sense that you care deeply about this Lanette, Adam said.

"She... she's my colleague," Bill answered quietly. "That's all."

Is it? Bill... I have studied you closely since I chose to accept you as my host. I have given you incredible power. That combined with your intelligence should make you unstoppable. But do you know what your weakness is? What keeps you from becoming a true warrior? Your emotions. You let your heart judge for you. You hesitate to hurt others because you think too much about the consequences. You avoid trusting those who may be your greatest allies, and you trust those who may be your greatest enemies.

Bill tensed. "What are you saying?"

I am saying that I do not trust Lanette, and neither should you.

At once, Bill scrambled to his feet. His tail lashed upwards, wrapping it around his arms and torso tightly. Trapped, he stared downward at the arrowhead.

"Are you saying I shouldn't trust my closest friend?" he demanded. "She hasn't lied to me before!"

She is not the same as she was before my kind came. Neither are you. You cannot deny that.

Bill squirmed his arms out of Adam's grip and yanked his shirt up and over his tail.

"I appreciate your concern, Adam, but I'll be fine. I can at least tell when I'm being tricked."

He felt his tail tighten around his torso, but as he strode forward, he did his best to ignore it.

As your partner, I cannot force you to change your mind, Adam replied, but I do hope for our sake that you are right about her.

His tail went lax, and for the first time in the past several minutes, Bill could feel it again. Stopping at the door, he adjusted his scarf while he wound his tail around his waist himself. He paused, taking a deep breath to calm himself.

"We'll be fine," he whispered. "There's nothing to worry about."

Then, he stepped out into the hallway and walked down the short corridor to the common area. It struck him as odd that even then, he couldn't hear any voices. Normally, there would be people talking in the pokémon center's common area, and he expected there to be even more activity with the added population of the Caravan. While he heard the muffled sounds of something outside, the common room itself was quiet.

As soon as he arrived, it didn't take him long to discover why. The entire place was empty. No one was at the green videophones lining the wall. All of the tables were bare and the seats unoccupied in the dining area. In the lounge clustered in the opposite corner of the room, the plush couches that normally were crowded with people were almost empty.

Almost.

Veronica leaned against one of the chairs with a glass of amber liquid in her hand. Even from several feet away, Bill caught the bitter scent of alcohol, and this was part of the reason why he instinctively bristled. The other reason was sitting on the couch Veronica leaned against. Lanette took one last sip of her own beverage – coffee, if Bill's nose was correct for a second time – before she placed her cup on the table. At first, she didn't say a word, opting instead on fixing her ruby-red eyes on her colleague.

"Lanette," Bill murmured. "I..."

He stopped, remembering the point of his disguise. Pressing his lips together, he pulled down on the hat's brim to hide his eyes. Lanette narrowed hers at him.

"The Caravan reached a decision," she said.

Bill looked up. "What... what did they decide?"

Lanette stood. She brushed past Veronica and started for the door. The officer downed the rest of the contents in her glass before placing it on the table. Immediately afterwards, she fell into step behind the red-head.

"A test," Lanette said. "Follow us, if you please. We don't have much time to administer it."

Bill took a step forward and froze where he was. It wasn't his doing.

I sense something wrong here, Bill. Be on guard.

"I know," Bill whispered harshly.

"What was that?" Veronica asked.

Shaking his head, Bill smiled and walked after them. "Nothing."

Lanette gave the ixodida a strange look before turning back to the door. Inside his head, Bill could hear Adam's growl; once again, he tried to ignore it.

Later on, he would wish he hadn't.

---​

Adam was right about one thing: Bill's main weakness was the fact that he was afraid of hurting anyone. But Bill already knew this. He knew before he was a researcher, back when he was still training pokémon. To be specific, he was terrible at battling even then. At first, it was just inexperience, a lack of understanding as to how battles worked combined with a stubborn refusal to trust his pokémon. After awhile, inexperience turned into compassion. As soon as he began seeing his pokémon as friends, he became reluctant to exert real effort into winning a battle. Of course, he knew pokémon were never seriously injured by matches, but every time he walked onto a battlefield and tried to order his pokémon to do something, he would hesitate, thinking about all the things that could go wrong and land a pokémon in Nurse Joy's hands for more than just a band-aid and a potion.

As a result, Bill never earned a single badge. In fact, after he realized what his problem was, he avoided gyms as a general rule. They made him uneasy with their wide, open battlefields that invariably struck him as being suspiciously pristine and well-kept for sites of long, arduous matches. Whenever he looked at one, he didn't see a smooth surface with neatly painted white lines, and he didn't imagine one flashy attack after another in an epic struggle between two equal forces. He saw the craters, trenches, and burn marks with his pokémon in the center of each one, just as they were at the end of the last few gym battles he ever bothered to fight. He saw the thousands of ways a pokémon could be left with broken bones, psychological trauma, and the gods knew what else.

Naturally, Bill was fully aware that it was ironic that he supported trainers, despite what he thought of gyms. It's just that the thought of going back to being a trainer left an unpleasant feeling in his chest.

In short, when Lanette and Veronica led him into Mauville Gym, he was wary, not because of what Adam had told him about Lanette but instead because he just didn't like gyms.

At the edge of the battlefield, Lanette started up a metal ladder leading to a catwalk. Veronica stepped beside it and motioned for Bill to follow the Caravan's leader. He hesitated, waiting for Lanette to reach the top before climbing up himself. Inside, he felt Adam stir, and he sensed that the ixodida was watching every move he was making. When he reached the top, he shut his eyes briefly, as if to drive the parasite away. In the darkness, he heard Lanette's footsteps across the steel walkway. They stopped after a few seconds.

"Come," she said.

Opening his eyes, he turned and followed her in a trot until he stood behind her. Keeping her back towards him, she pulled a poké ball from one of the pouches on her belt and released a pokémon in front of her. The gloom trilled and skirted around his master until he stood, squinted eyes staring up at the other pokémon. Bill shifted uncomfortably on his feet, staring first at it and then at Lanette. Behind him, he could hear Veronica coming up the ladder.

"Er... Lanette?" he asked softly. "What... what kind of test are we performing?"

There was a cold look in her eyes, and finally, Bill realized something was terribly wrong.

"Lanette," he muttered. "You know it's me, right? You know me. I'm not a threat to you. I'm... we're friends, aren't we? We... we designed the system together."

She blinked and shifted her gaze to a point behind him. "The Caravan has reached a decision. Officer. Now."

Veronica grabbed Bill's wrist. He gasped and tried to turn to face her, and in the quick second of distraction, she snapped a set of handcuffs around his arm and part of the rail along the catwalk. Instinctively, Bill grasped his bound wrist and tried to wrench it away from the metal bar, but the handcuffs held fast. Lanette took the time to skirt past him, her gloom trotting behind her. Veronica, her job complete, turned and walked towards the ladder silently.

"Wait!" Bill said. "Wait! What's going on?"

After putting several feet between herself and Bill, Lanette turned and continued, "Ixodida, on behalf of the Caravan, I hereby sentence you to exile for the crimes your species have committed against humanity."

"Exile? Crimes? Lanette, you can't mean that you think I had anything to--"

"The Caravan will be leaving Mauville City this afternoon."

"Lanette, please, just listen to me!"

"You are forbidden to leave this gym until we've departed, and if you attempt to follow us, we will terminate you on sight."

Bill hesitated, his body trembling. Terminated? Exiled? He kept his eyes on his partner, his mouth slightly open. Right then, he began to realize just how different this woman was from the Lanette he knew.

"Lanette," he murmured. "I..." His wrist shook, rattling the handcuffs against the rail. Glancing down at them, he let his next few words tumble from his lips. "I understand. May I at least have the key to set myself free once you're gone?"

She turned away from him. He watched her from the corner of his eye, and in his chest, a stabbing pain hit his heart.

"No," she replied. "Gloom, Sleep Powder."

The weed pokémon tilted his head towards Bill, and from the bulbous flower on his head, a cloud of blue spores burst and swirled towards the ixodida. Bill made no effort to dodge, instead inhaling the powder as it engulfed him. At once, his vision began to get hazy, and his body felt weak. He dropped to one knee with a bang while he turned his head at last to watch Lanette recall her gloom and move towards him again. Surprised by this action, Bill struggled to keep his eyes open as she knelt in front of him and placed a hand on the side of his face. Her skin felt inordinately cold.

"Your face still looks the same as it did the last time we saw each other," she said tonelessly. "I wish I could help you, Bill, but I can't give you a merciful death. Please forgive me."

"Lanette..." Bill whispered. His voice was getting fainter and fainter as his head began to drop. "Aren't we friends?"

The expression on her face darkened, and she let him go. "All ixodida are monsters. If you aren't one now, you will be one soon. I can only hope that parasite has enough sense to die with you."

Bill tried to shake his head, but by then, his body could only manage slight motions. "No. Don't be... don't be confused. Cover... book... not the same... I..."

The last thing he saw was Lanette standing and the blurry, brown blobs that were her boots moving away from him. After that, Bill crumpled to the floor of the catwalk, his eyes shutting at last.

In the darkness of his mind, he heard Adam's voice.

What did I tell you, Bill?

Last edited:

gmoyes

Nerd and Proud of it
"If assault wasn't a crime, I'd punch you in the face right now, Wattson."
Loved this line. But who would arrest her? she's the only cop in town. I had a feeling something like that would happen. the disguse would never have worked. i guess this way is sort of fair. ish...
Anyway keep up the good work.

Diddy

Renegade
I'm glad gmoyes chose that exact quote because that means I don't have to quote it :D

Anyway, I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about American Law but I do know a fair bit about British Law and I do know that Assault is described as putting someone in fear of being attacked. So technically she's committing an assault as she says that. Punching somebody would be a battery, or if it was a little worse, Actual Bodily Harm or Section 20 or 18 Grievous Bodily Harm.

Law Man, Awaaaaaay! *zooms off into the distance*

*returns, realising that he still has a chapter to talk about*

Aaaaanyway, good job.

It seems you and I have almost identical views on how pokémon (or space parasites) see clothing and it's necessity, I've made similar points in a fic I'm writing and in a mad crossover project I even had my murderous Gallade wonder how humans got to be so dominant when they are merely useless fleshbags with no visible defences.

Lanette was pretty good for what little she did in this chapter, I liked the coldness she showed then, right at the end, she warmed up a little. It was almost heartbreaking to see Bill's confusion, at least, it elicited a pitying aww from me.

Phantom Kat

Hobo Writer
Haha, an ixodia in human clothing. The whole mental image was just hilarious despite the fact that the situation was anything but. xD Maybe they could have pulled it off, but one would have to wonder why a person would be wearing everything but the kitchen sink.

I was agreeing with Adam with the Lanette thing. She all but told Bill she was going to handcuff him in Mauville Gym, but he still assured himself she was the same best friend as before the invasion. Bill is just too trusting for his own good, sometimes, and if it wasn't for Adam he would have been dead long before. At least we know Lanette isn't completely heartless. I was right there with Diddy saying "aww" at the end.

lol at the Veronica quote. xD Thom is going to have to get a bit less forgetful if he doesn't want a black eye (a Flamethrower to the face.)

Fun chapter (fun for us, not Bill, of course). Can't wait for the next. :D

- Kat

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
But who would arrest her? she's the only cop in town.

Admittedly, there's a lot wrong with that line, but my excuse is that Veronica's overly stressed. XD

Thanks for the review!

Anyway, I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about American Law but I do know a fair bit about British Law and I do know that Assault is described as putting someone in fear of being attacked. So technically she's committing an assault as she says that. Punching somebody would be a battery, or if it was a little worse, Actual Bodily Harm or Section 20 or 18 Grievous Bodily Harm.

I have to admit I looked this up, and it's the same in American law. XD; Moreover, assault is still a crime, which means way to go at following the law, Veronica.

I think I'll switch out "assault" with "battery" but keep the line, though, because I have to say I really enjoyed writing that part of the scene. /terrible excuse

Aaaaanyway, good job.

Thank you!

It seems you and I have almost identical views on how pokémon (or space parasites) see clothing and it's necessity, I've made similar points in a fic I'm writing and in a mad crossover project I even had my murderous Gallade wonder how humans got to be so dominant when they are merely useless fleshbags with no visible defences.

Okay, seriously, I think I need to sit down and read your work. Everything is better with the word "fleshbag"!

Lanette was pretty good for what little she did in this chapter, I liked the coldness she showed then, right at the end, she warmed up a little. It was almost heartbreaking to see Bill's confusion, at least, it elicited a pitying aww from me.

Thanks for this and the rest of the review.

And yeah. *pats Bill* He'll get a break soon, I assure you. ;D

Certainly not because Bill x Lanette is my OTP or anything.

Haha, an ixodia in human clothing. The whole mental image was just hilarious despite the fact that the situation was anything but. xD

Thank you! And yes. Just try to imagine Bill walking around in those boots. XD

I was agreeing with Adam with the Lanette thing. She all but told Bill she was going to handcuff him in Mauville Gym, but he still assured himself she was the same best friend as before the invasion. Bill is just too trusting for his own good, sometimes, and if it wasn't for Adam he would have been dead long before. At least we know Lanette isn't completely heartless.

Pretty much. She totally has reasons for being somewhat of a racist, and hopefully, those'll be revealed in a couple of chapters.

lol at the Veronica quote. xD

*le bow* XD Thom is extremely fun to write, just because he's such an idiot when it comes to character interactions.

Fun chapter (fun for us, not Bill, of course). Can't wait for the next. :D

Thank you! Hopefully, it won't take another month to write. XD;

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Great chapter! Unfortunately, I agreed with Adam - that Lanette should not be trusted. Poor Bill! D:
The left hand yanked the glove off the right and started tugging on the scarf. Bill gagged and grabbed for the red material around his neck.
I'll admit I found this passage to be just a little bit confusing. If Adam is controlling the left arm, is Bill trying to reach for the scarf to try and stop Adam from reaching towards it to subsuqently remove it? Or does it represent Bill gagging while simultaneously Adam is the one reaching for the scarf while Bill struggles helplessly? (Did my question make any sense at all? :D ) I guess the real issue is: is it the parasite, the host, or both that are reaching for the scarf?

It's such a minor logical discrepancy that it didn't detract from my reading experience at all! However, I do believe tweaking the passage a little will improve the readers' understanding of what exactly is occurring here.

After awhile, inexperience turned into compassion.
I may be entirely wrong, but aren't "a" and "while" two separate words? I think "awhile" is similar in a way to "alright" - an informal combination of words that is not grammatically correct. Or I'm just crazy, which may truly be the case...xD

It's just that the thought of going back to being a trainer left an unpleasant feeling in his chest.
This passage would be fine if Bill was speaking. But since you're voicing his thoughts as the anonymous third-person narrator, "It's" needs to be changed to "It was." Otherwise, you have a tense inconsistency.

"Your face still looks the same as it did the last time we saw each other," she said tonelessly. "I wish I could help you, Bill, but I can't give you a merciful death. Please forgive me."
This sentence was good! However, it may have been more emotionally effective if you didn't use "tonelessly" to describe her manner of speaking. Since Bill did say Lanette hadn't seemed like herself, I can see how you'd want to be consistent with that. It's just harder to feel sympathetic towards her because even though her words seem compassionate, her tone (or lack thereof) conveys otherwise.
All in all, excellent job. I especially liked the chapter title! We get further insight into the conflict between Adam and Bill, which I really liked. Especially the closing line:
What did I tell you, Bill?
Definitely a facepalm sort of situation. :D
Excited for the next chapter. Keep up the awesome writing! :)

Cryptic Blaze

Blinded by the light
Poor, poor Bill...Even though he is an awesome character, he really needs to listen to some of Adam's advice. If the world as you know it has changed completely, you have to adapt or you will fall right on your face...or get chained up by your former best friend, whichever comes first.

I firmly believe, though, that if Bill decided to wear a t-shirt that said "I am a normal human, ignore me!" he would have avoided detection. It is a perfect disguise. XD

I also get the feeling that Thom will eventually get a (insert beating involving fists, flamethrowers and/or various steel objects) from Veronica. You don't have two characters like Thom and Veronica within a 500 kilometer radius of each other without a fight of some sort.

Anyway, another great chapter in the story. Keep up the awesome!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Great chapter! Unfortunately, I agreed with Adam - that Lanette should not be trusted. Poor Bill! D:

I know, right? Poor guy needs to learn how to take some advice.

I'll admit I found this passage to be just a little bit confusing. If Adam is controlling the left arm, is Bill trying to reach for the scarf to try and stop Adam from reaching towards it to subsuqently remove it? Or does it represent Bill gagging while simultaneously Adam is the one reaching for the scarf while Bill struggles helplessly? (Did my question make any sense at all? :D ) I guess the real issue is: is it the parasite, the host, or both that are reaching for the scarf?

Sorry about that. It was meant to say that the parasite is reaching for the scarf, hence why Bill ended up choking -- because Adam didn't quite get that pulling on something wrapped around their neck = makeshift noose, yay!

Totally going to see if I can reword that.

I may be entirely wrong, but aren't "a" and "while" two separate words? I think "awhile" is similar in a way to "alright" - an informal combination of words that is not grammatically correct. Or I'm just crazy, which may truly be the case...xD

They're actually homophones. "Awhile" is an adverb meaning "for a time," and "a while" is an article-noun combination meaning "a certain time frame." In light of that, it's still a typo that I somehow managed not to catch, but it's totally okay to use "awhile" in certain situations that aren't this sentence.

(The more you know!)

This passage would be fine if Bill was speaking. But since you're voicing his thoughts as the anonymous third-person narrator, "It's" needs to be changed to "It was." Otherwise, you have a tense inconsistency.

Not sure how I managed to miss this either. Thanks!

This sentence was good! However, it may have been more emotionally effective if you didn't use "tonelessly" to describe her manner of speaking. Since Bill did say Lanette hadn't seemed like herself, I can see how you'd want to be consistent with that. It's just harder to feel sympathetic towards her because even though her words seem compassionate, her tone (or lack thereof) conveys otherwise.

I definitely know what you mean here, and I'll check it out. It should be a pretty easy fix, so I'll hopefully get to that as soon as I can.

All in all, excellent job. I especially liked the chapter title!

Thanks. XD When in doubt, use old adages, amirite?

We get further insight into the conflict between Adam and Bill, which I really liked. Especially the closing line:

Definitely a facepalm sort of situation. :D

Exactly. ;D Adam most certainly isn't a happy camper about any of this. Too bad it can't just go, "Yeah, okay, your body is now mine. GTFO."

Excited for the next chapter. Keep up the awesome writing! :)

Thanks! :D And will do~!

Poor, poor Bill...Even though he is an awesome character, he really needs to listen to some of Adam's advice. If the world as you know it has changed completely, you have to adapt or you will fall right on your face...or get chained up by your former best friend, whichever comes first.

Amen to this. Of course, Bill will learn. Eventually. After a few more psychological beatings from Adam. Maybe.

I firmly believe, though, that if Bill decided to wear a t-shirt that said "I am a normal human, ignore me!" he would have avoided detection. It is a perfect disguise. XD

Best mental image ever. XD

I also get the feeling that Thom will eventually get a (insert beating involving fists, flamethrowers and/or various steel objects) from Veronica. You don't have two characters like Thom and Veronica within a 500 kilometer radius of each other without a fight of some sort.

Oh, he most likely will. We're almost finished with the Mauville arc, and as soon as the gang leaves the city limits, Veronica's going to go, "OH HEY WE LEFT MY PRECINCT ALL BETS ARE OFF. >:D" And Thom's day will just get worse from there.

Anyway, another great chapter in the story. Keep up the awesome!

Thank you! :D

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
And then real life punched me in the face. Sorry for the slow updates and the fact that I still haven't edited much (especially the last chapter), guys. Here's to hoping that I might actually have some free time to write now that I may or may not actually not spend ~14 hours working/commuting to and from work a day. (No, seriously.)

I may or may not also be half-asleep, so chances are, there are still a few things I missed in the proofreading bits. Feel free to point them out.

Anima Ex Machina: Seventeen
In the first act, there is a pistol on the wall.

The security system of Polaris Institute was top-of-the-line. Every second within its halls was on record in some way. Every conversation was taped. Every motion was filmed. Each clip from the countless recorders and cameras was meticulously stored within Polaris's security database, and these were carefully kept by the complex's security forces.

Of course, with the proper access codes, one could tap into these security records, and John McKenzie had them. Within his locked, darkened office, he sat at the desk and computer, the only two objects that occupied it as of yet. One hand was on the mouse; his other hand held the bulky headphones to his left ear.

On the screen was a single window. A list of files were queued in a media player, and these, in one of John's most noteworthy moments of professionalism, were blanket-labeled the Adam Files.

Although his team was expecting him in one laboratory or another, he left them to study XP-650A. He, meanwhile, spent hours poring over each video. Silently, he watched as a team of chansey pinned his son's limbs to a bed while doctors struggled to inject anesthetic after anesthetic into his body. He didn't flinch as he listened to his son's screaming, the babbling, the whimpering, the cracking of bones. He felt nothing as he watched the creature shed his son's skin, use his hands to claw at everything within reach, thrash against the bonds that pinned him to the bed. It should have been horrific, but John tried his best to remain as professional as possible. Even when his heart pounded and the bile rose to the back of his mouth, he sat and forced himself to keep watching. It was in the name of science, after all.

Yet, one video caught him completely off-guard. It was the second-to-last one. By then, his child was recognizable only by his face; every other part of him was a monster. John had watched hours of the creature barely even pretending to be the human he knew. He had expected nothing else but more footage of the demon lashing out against its bonds, but this time, the last time, Bill simply woke up.

Intrigued, John watched as Professor Oak had the cuffs taken off. He watched as Oak entered the room and Bill, while crying and shuddering with his hands on his head, struggled to adjust. Minutes marched on, and the creature John watched became steadily calmer. The shivering ceased. His hands drew away from his scalp. He stopped fighting against his own body and eventually came to look into Professor Oak's eyes.

Then, for the first time in a long time, John McKenzie heard his son's true voice.

"I don't have much of a choice," he said.

Professor Oak's expression remained calm through his response. "Of course you do. You know how the ethical codes work these days. If you said you'd be uncomfortable with it, we wouldn't be able to conduct anything on you, not even an interrogation. You'll always have a say, Bill."

"No," Bill replied, not even missing a beat, "I really don't, and it has nothing to do with what the ethical codes state. Professor, as a researcher, it's my duty to do everything in my power to help this project. While I don't know if you'll let me resume my place on the staff, I can't say no to allowing you to get as much information as possible from me."

"You're really starting to sound like your old self now."

John sat back and sighed. "Indeed he is, Sam. Indeed he is. But why?"

With a flick of the mouse, John moved the cursor to the next video. Clicking on it, he was presented with the image of a hallway. Corpses of security staff littered the sides and corners, and a fainted jynx lay limp on the floor. Standing over her were two sides of a war. On the one side, he immediately recognized Professor Nettle, and by her sides were interns and other scientists, all ready and waiting for her commands. On the other side were a crouched electric-type ixodida and the creature he was studying. Right away, it struck John as strange that the steel-type wasn't crouched like his companion was. Rather, he stood with his hands open, palms facing his would-be attackers. Turning up the volume, John found himself entering a conversation.

"Wait!" Bill exclaimed. "Just let us go. Professor, he can kill us all, but he won't if—"

"He's intelligent," Nettle interrupted.

The blonde to her left smirked. "Mm-hmm. Not at all like Pandora or Abel. Giovanni will adore this."

John practically threw the headphones onto the keyboard. The video continued to play as he placed his hands on the desk. Bowing his head, he breathed. Outwardly, he showed no other signs of shock; his face wasn't pale, his eyes weren't wide, and his breathing was natural. Inside, he began to feel a creeping sensation crawl under his skin.

It only got worse when he realized he wasn't the only one in the room.

"Codename Adam is a remarkable specimen, don't you agree?" a voice drawled.

He straightened and sat back in his chair. Although he wasn't smiling, he still responded as casually as he would if Professor Oak had made the comment.

"I don't believe I've met you," he said.

"I wouldn't be surprised, Professor McKenzie," the red-head said as she stepped forward. "I was promoted long after you left the firm."

She placed her hands heavily on the back of his chair. As she leaned down to put her mouth close to his ear, he could feel her breath and warmth looming all around him.

"The famous John McKenzie," she murmured. "They still talk about you. It's not often that one quits Team Rocket, much less someone as important to our operations as you."

He shrugged. "Forgive me for saying this, but of course I would. I realized a little too belatedly that maintaining a relationship with you wasn't profitable. Mr. di Roketto understands, most likely."

"Less likely than you assume," Ariana responded. "You're a very difficult man to track down, professor, but Giovanni is an equally patient man. Perhaps you shouldn't have left Goldenrod City."

"Hm. Of all the times to decide not to bring a drink with me into the laboratory." He clicked the media player closed. "Forgive me, my dear, but even if Mr. di Roketto wanted me that badly, he surely should have realized by now that capturing me would be pointless. It's been almost twenty years. Given that I haven't heard anything noteworthy about your organization in the news, I think it's safe to say that the project was a failure anyway, and besides that, I had twenty years to go to the authorities, didn't I?"

"It was hardly a failure, and I believe you're a smart enough man to know why going to the authorities would be a foolish move."

At last, John cracked a grin. "You can't use my family against me, love. My wife can take care of herself, my daughters were raised to be strong, and I'd hardly think you'd waste my son on bait. I wouldn't be stupid or sentimental enough to take it anyway."

"You have it all wrong this time, Professor McKenzie," Ariana replied. "Perhaps we would have considered all of that earlier, but the circumstances are quite different now. As I've said… Codename Adam is a very fascinating specimen, isn't he?"

The creeping feeling returned in full force, and the smile faded from John's face. Still, he kept his eyes on the computer, although he forced himself to relax as much as he could.

"It's a grave mistake to underestimate a McKenzie, least of all William," he said.

"I'm not underestimating anyone. I'm simply asking you for a favor."

"Which is?"

Ariana's hands moved to John's shoulders. He wanted to shrug them off, but he knew the woman would use any indication of emotion against him. She was a member of Team Rocket, after all. They were all the same that way.

"Study him," she said. "Our operatives are right now attempting to locate him, and we have infiltrated every position possible within this institute. We can give you everything you need to unlock the secret of why Adam is such a unique case."

"So you can use that to create an army of XP-650."

Ariana withdrew, allowing her hands to fall to her sides. Exhaling, John shook his head and logged off the computer.

"Team Rocket never changes," he muttered. "Not even when it was run by that nitwit of a woman. No offense intended, ma'am."

"Giovanni would agree with you concerning that statement. What about my proposal, professor?"

John crossed his arms. "Why bother me about it? Why not one of your operatives?"

Ariana grinned. "Because Bill would trust you the most. You are his father, after all, aren't you?"

As soon as she finished, John burst into laughter. Ariana took a step back, her expression faltering as she eyed her associate carefully. In the meantime, he stood, wiped tears from his eyes, and gave her a smile.

"All this time you've been chasing me, you really never learned anything about me?" he asked. "I'm the last person William would trust. We're not exactly on speaking terms, you know. He thinks I'm a lazy, womanizing, drunken git, and I respond with, 'Thank you, and I was hoping you'd be a girl.' We compliment each other all the time like that. Our relationship is the envy of every father and son across Johto."

He sauntered over to her and leaned in close to her face, forcing her to reel backwards.

"Here's a lesson you could learn from Giovanni," he told her. "If you're gonna ask someone to do something for you, you'd best be prepared with either something they desperately want or a fine ultimatum. Right now, there's nothing I want, and if I had a choice between working for you again or saving William from the pits of Hell, I'd say I couldn't imagine anyone who would enjoy a place as boring as Heaven anyway."

Turning, he walked towards the door. Ariana didn't bother to stop him. She simply stared as John unlocked the door and turned the handle.

"Professor McKenzie," Ariana abruptly said, "what if I told you I could pay you handsomely?"

John opened the door a crack. "Funny. That's what Giovanni said the first time around."

Then, he left the room before the executive could say a word.

---​

"Bill?"

He opened his eyes to see sunlight filtering through a lush, green oak tree. Sitting up, he stretched, taking in the warmth of the sun and spring breeze. Turning his head, he caught the red-eyed gaze of his companion. Lanette looked different then. Her hair was shorter, and most of it hung down to her shoulder blades except for a few orange locks clipped to the back of her head by a barrette. Her clothing was neater. No rips, no tears, nothing out-of-place on either the crisp, white blouse, the lab coat, or the green pencil skirt. Most importantly, on her face was a sharp frown, yet Bill knew that a few seconds ago, the softness of her voice betrayed a completely different emotion.

"What on Earth are you doing out here?" she asked. "You have ten minutes until you speak in front of the most prominent researchers in the nation, and here you are, sleeping under a tree!"

Bill rubbed his eyes. "I was not sleeping. I was meditating."

"I thought you didn't like being outside."

"I don't like speaking in front of large groups of people, either."

"Too bad. It's in your job description."

"Where?"

"Right under writing theses, attending Symposium events, and the thousand other things you say you don't like to do. Why are you a researcher anyway, Bill?"

He stood and dusted himself off. After a moment of thought, he replied, "The spare moments I spend studying anything at all make it worth it. How do I look?"

Lanette eyed him carefully. Glancing at her in response to the silence, Bill noticed her press her lips together and fight off a smile. He looked down at himself and then back at Lanette. Then, with a tilt of his head, he gave her a glare.

"Come on, Lanette. I'm wearing the plainest outfit I own," he said.

"It's not that. You, uh…" She pointed at his head and lowered the volume of her voice. "You have leaves in your hair."

"What?"

He shook his head vigorously and then ran his fingers through his curls. Sure enough, a rain of dead leaves and leaf debris rained down around him. Straightening his gaze, he pulled his bangs out of his eyes.

"How about now?" he asked.

Relaxing, Lanette let herself grin sympathetically as she reached up to pluck a twig out of her partner's hair.

"Better," she replied. "Now, come on. I promised Brigette I wouldn't be long, and I think poor Celio will give himself a heart-attack from waiting for you."

Bill ran his fingers through his hair one more time. "And Bebe?"

"If we don't get back soon, she'll think we… well, you know Bebe."

He sighed. "Indeed I do."

"Absolutely no refinement," Lanette added dryly. "Why on Earth would we do that kind of in the open anyway?"

Instantly, Bill shot her a wide-eyed look. His face grew bright red as he snapped, "Or at all, I should hope!"

She simply looked at him.

"Or I mean to say… you and I… we're, ah…" Bill hesitated. "I've gotten into a bit of a mess, haven't I?"

"Once again," Lanette said, "but I forgive you because you're you."

She turned to walk away. Bill stared at her back for several beats before straightening.

"Hey! What do you mean by that?!" he called.

Without even turning around, she answered, "You're a genius, Bill. Figure it out!"

He stood rooted to his spot as he watched the distance between the two of them grow larger. Then, he glanced towards the blue sky and clenched his teeth.

"Adam," he said, "get out of my head."

Snapping back into reality, Adam let the image in front of it dissolve into what Bill was seeing. Instead of the warm campus, the two of them looked at a bare wall in a cold, dark building. Bill was sitting, not standing, and their hand was still chained to the parapet around the catwalk, not running through soft, curly hair.

Forgive me, Adam drawled, but Lanette seems too intriguing to resist.

Bill narrowed his eyes at the wall. "You weren't supposed to see that."

On the contrary, Bill. We are two halves of a symbiotic pair. So long as you and I coexist within this body, I have every right to know the darkest secrets of your mind. Perhaps one of them could be important. Besides, I would hardly call that particular memory dark.

"It wasn't," Bill admitted, "but I would still appreciate some sense of privacy when it comes to my memories."

I have no desire to argue with you this time.

"Then don't."

Bill shut his eyes again. His encounter with Lanette left him with a sour taste in his mouth, and because of that, he wasn't in the mood to deal with Adam. Slowing his breathing, he cleared his mind and sat in silence, his hand hanging heavily within the cuff. In that state, only one question floated into his mind. It filled every crevice of his brain, and his lack of an answer to it gave him an uncomfortable, painful feeling in his chest.

There is something else I learned from your memories besides the depths to which you care for your Lanette, Adam commented.

At the sound of the parasite's voice, Bill winced. He opened one eye and stared at the ceiling. Although the last thing he wanted at that point was to deal with Adam, he didn't stop the creature right away.

It is fascinating that humans had so many different languages, but you all distilled it down to one hybrid, it said.

Bill sighed in exasperation and shut his eye again. "What are you on about now?"

Your name. What does it mean? William. From an old place – Germany, it was called. Yet your people did not consider themselves German. No, not for nearly a thousand years.

"It doesn't matter anymore, Adam."

But it does, the parasite drawled. You search for your purpose, but you need not look any further than your own name. Wil. From the word will, meaning the unwavering inner strength to carry out one's desires. Helm. From the word helmet, a metaphor for protection. Together, they mean "willful protector," he who defends others regardless of the risk. Your purpose is there, Bill. Every moment of your life is pointing you towards protecting your people. Do not give up on them, even if they turn you down.

For a few moments, Adam waited in silence. Then, when not a word came from his host, it tried to push itself back into his mind to search for his thoughts. It was mildly surprised to feel a division between them. Pressing against the wall around Bill's mind, Adam realized that the human was learning, was actively attempting to keep the parasite out of his head. Amused, Adam withdrew and mentally circled around Bill, searching for a weak point.

On the other hand, it is curious that you shorten your name. A bastardization of your true purpose. Perhaps you already realized this?

For a second time, Bill sighed. He opened his eyes and glared at the wall straight ahead of him. "Adam, I'd like to make two comments. First, I have absolutely no problem with my real name. I simply prefer being called Bill because I like the way it sounds. Second, if this is the best you can do with attempting to force me to act, I would like to say that if I hadn't already made up my mind and if my actions would be determined by your charisma, I would almost certainly prefer sitting here to die."

Adam stopped where it was. Already made up your mind?

"Yes. I never liked sitting around doing nothing, and I detest the idea of suicide. The only reason why I'm still here is because--" At this point, Bill lifted his arm, allowing the handcuffs to rattle against his wrist and the bars of the parapet. "--there seems to be a minor inconvenience preventing me from escaping. Furthermore, the longer you continue to distract me, the less time I can spend answering the question of how we might be able to resolve this issue."

Oh. You should have said something. I could have offered assistance.

Raising an eyebrow, Bill lifted his hand just enough to pull the chain taut between his wrist and the bars behind him. He eyed the few inches of chain carefully, long enough to give Adam a good look.

"The chain is too short to cut with claws or my tail, Adam, even if I could concentrate enough to execute an attack properly."

Hm. I would not be so simple as to assume if I were you, Adam replied. Try pulling.

"Pulling," Bill repeated incredulously.

Correct.

"You're serious, aren't you?"

Gravely.

Bill looked towards the ceiling and considered Adam's advice. It sounded crazy in his mind, but crazy or not, he couldn't think of many options himself. Knowing this, he humored Adam and pulled his arm until the cuffs resisted. When it did, he snapped his limb forward to make it clear that it wasn't going anywhere.

No, no. Pull harder.

"…Harder?"

Correct.

Pressing his lips together, Bill pulled. Again, the cuffs held.

Slower. Put as much force into it as you can. Do not be afraid of damaging your wrist. You will not, I assure you.

Bill hesitated. He fixed his gaze on the chain, already pulled as far as it would go. What would yanking it harder do?

Sensing his uncertainty, Adam added, You must learn to trust me, Bill. I need your body to survive. Therefore, everything I tell you will be in your best interests.

Relaxing just a bit, Bill whispered, "A-all right."

Then, he pulled at the chain. At first, it continued to resist, but the more he leaned away from the bars, the more it creaked beneath his weight. The metal stretched like flimsy plastic, thinning gradually until at last, it snapped, sending Bill crashing to the floor of the catwalk. At once, he sat up and lifted his wrist. The severed chain dangled from a bent cuff still around his arm.

"What is this?" he breathed.

Refined strength, Adam explained. I have taken the liberty of adjusting how well your body is capable of performing physical work. Call it another gift.

Bill held his head and shakily stood. "How many more gifts did you give me?"

Enough. Is there a problem?

He shook his head. "No. I just… it's quite a bit to take in. I wish you would just tell me what you would did to me."

You would never understand until you learned for yourself. Is that not one of your personal defining traits?

Bill turned and tilted his head to the side. "What are you implying?"

Ignoring him, Adam continued, But no matter. You are free now. What is your next move?

Wrapping his hands around the rail, Bill peered downward. Adam was right in one respect: the need to learn more about himself had to be put off for later. Right then, he had to think of what to do after that. Focusing, he quickly scanned the room for a possible way out. Gazing straight downward, he realized there were at least two stories between himself and the floor of the battlefield, and lying neatly beneath the catwalk was the ladder he had used to follow Lanette and Veronica. He knew exactly what their intentions were, and they had nothing to do with giving him a chance to escape.

"We need to get down somehow. Do I have a power that would let me survive this far of a drop?"

Several, but why do we not simply use the way I had entered this place the last time?

Bill looked around. He had nearly forgotten that this wasn't his first time in the Mauville Gym, but no matter how hard he tried to remember, nothing was coming to mind as to how his partner had broken into the gym. Adam noticed his silence, and in the ensuing beat, Bill could feel the parasite in his head.

Give me control. I will show you.

Stopping, Bill considered it with a shudder. At first, he could think of a thousand reasons why Adam's proposal felt wrong. Then again, what choice did he have? Adam knew his body more than he did at that point, and although it was his job to test unknowns, there was a line between scientific curiosity and suicidal levels of crazy. Reluctantly, he closed his eyes and let himself be pulled back into his head. From that point forward, he trained his mind not to think about the possibilities as his eyes opened on their own.

"It seems you have begun to learn," Adam commented. "You trust me."

Adam, I'll do whatever needs to be done. Please keep us safe.

"Did you think I would fail at that much?"

Adam unwound their tail and snaked it out from under Bill's shirt. The parasite stretched, dropped to all fours, and darted across the catwalk a wall at one end. Bill watched from inside, trying to piece together what his companion was about to do until he noticed the rows of holes dotting the wall. As Adam approached, Bill noticed that they stopped a few feet from the floor of the catwalk but ran straight upwards to just beyond his field of vision. He couldn't imagine where they might have led until he noticed chunks of plaster and dust littering that end of the catwalk. Adam ignored these as he bound over them to the wall, leaving Bill no time to think about them.

Then, Adam sprang up and latched onto the wall with both hands and feet. For a moment, Bill was left completely speechless, unable to react as Adam scaled the wall. At times, the parasite used the holes as footholds; at others, it created completely new ones by punching its claws into the plaster. Bill struggled to process all of this until, finally, his mind came up with one line.

Surely you're joking.

"Why?" Adam asked. "Is this amusing to you?"

Certainly not! Bill paused. It's just… defiant of… almost everything that I was thinking.

"I must reiterate, Bill. Stop seeing our body as human. It will be much easier to accept that you no longer have the limitations you once did."

Bill couldn't think of anything to say to that. Instead, he sat back and watched his body traverse the wall, eventually arriving at the ceiling. There, Adam continued, hooking their tail directly into the tiles as an added anchor. Fixing their eyes on a small hole hidden above one of the gym's lights, Adam skittered quickly upside-down until it climbed through the roof.

Outside, the sun sat high in the sky, forcing Adam to squint at the sudden, harsh light. Yet, even then it didn't slow down as it darted across the roof to the edge. It peered down over the parapet along the roof to an empty alley behind the gym. Although Bill couldn't think straight, he could tell it was well above a few feet from the ground to where they were.

That's… that's a long way down, Bill mumbled. Perhaps we should—

Adam mounted the parapet and launched itself directly downward. It pretended not to hear Bill's screams.

The fall was short, ending in Adam landing with a bang on the pavement. The cement beneath its hands and knee was cracked and indented, but it showed no signs of pain as it waited until Bill fell quiet. Pushing off the ground with its hands, it slowly rose to its feet. Then, Adam shuttered and retreated, pitching Bill's consciousness forward. Finally in control once more, Bill trembled and breathed. He could feel the adrenaline Adam generated, the tingle of his muscles and bones beneath the parts of him that hit the ground, the ache in his tail from hours of being wound around his waist… but otherwise, he wasn't hurt.

"Remarkable," he breathed.

Inside his head, he felt Adam curl up and rest, but he could tell the parasite still had his attention focused on him. He moved a hand and prepared to speak. A thousand questions stumbled over each other in a frantic dash to escape his mouth.

Before a single one could get out, however, a scream rose from a distance, followed by the sounds of gunshots. Jolting out of his meditations, Bill looked to the sky. The shrieks were uncomfortably familiar to him.

"Ixodida calls…" His eyes widened. "The Caravan!"

His feet sprang into a run. He didn't think twice about it. All he could do was imagine what was happening blocks away.

Bill, Adam said, what are you doing?

Turning a corner, he forced himself to pick up speed. "They're in danger!"

And you plan on saving them?

"Yes!"

By any means?

Bill stopped under a streetlamp. His body wasn't built for speed, and because of that, he could tell he would have to take it easy if he wanted energy left over for a possible fight. Placing a hand on the pole beside him, he panted.

"Yes!" he finally replied.

Even after they trapped us?

He nodded and bent over.

Why?

Bill lifted his head. Several different faces flashed across his brain, but the one that lingered was Lanette's, fresh from that memory Adam had summoned not too long ago. He felt Adam slide into his thoughts and look.

Her? You must care deeply for her.

Bill stood straight and frowned.

Why do you insist on trying with her when she does not see you as her friend?

"Because she's her," Bill answered simply.

Before Adam could argue, he started into another run.

Behind him, a pair of purple eyes peered out from the alley by the gym. 009 pursed her lips as her hand reached up to press a button on a communicator attached to her ear.

"This is 009. Target spotted."

"But not captured?" Nettle hissed over the device.

"Good things come to those who wait, Professor. Trust me."

With that, she stalked out into the empty street, taking her time to follow.

Diddy

Renegade
The security system of Polaris Institute was top-of-the-line.

This could use some tinkering me thinks. Maybe add a word or two to make it flow better.

"Absolutely no refinement," Lanette added dryly. "Why on Earth would we do that kind of in the open anyway?"

Second bit of dialogue is all... bleh, look it back over.

Hm. I would not be so simple as to assume if I were you, Adam replied. Try pulling.

Correct.

Gravely.

lol. Adam amuses me.

I applaud the use of Ariana in this chapter. Why? Because she's her, my favourite Rocket Admin, Psychotic Bitch and (at least in my own personal opinion) harbouring latent lesbian tendencies. That's how a story I wrote ended up anyway, these things happen.

Aaaaanyway, moving far, far away from that tangent...

I've missed this fic. I was actually thinking about it over the past few days, in the "I wonder where Jax went?" sense. Luckily I've had plenty to read in the mean time, so I haven't been bored.

Yes, it was kinda dialogue heavy, but I liked it because of that, I really felt like things were moving along in this chapter. The ball is rolling again and the action is back on track, keep up the pace Valentine!!!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
This could use some tinkering me thinks. Maybe add a word or two to make it flow better.

Hmm. Not quite sure what to add here, but I'll read it over a couple more times. I think it might be the ending that's a bit rocky maybe?

Second bit of dialogue is all... bleh, look it back over.

Ah, good to see my habit of randomly leaving words out of my sentences hasn't yet been shaken. XD I know exactly what's wrong here, and I think it'll be a quick fix if I just add a "thing" somewhere along the line, right?

lol. Adam amuses me.

*le bow* Thank you! Adam amuses me too. ;D That's why you'll be seeing a lot more of him. (Fun fact: Adam somehow managed to play less of a role in the original version of this fic. I have no idea how I managed to do that, especially since, let's face it, Adam is pretty snazzy to work with.)

I applaud the use of Ariana in this chapter. Why? Because she's her, my favourite Rocket Admin, Psychotic Bitch and (at least in my own personal opinion) harbouring latent lesbian tendencies. That's how a story I wrote ended up anyway, these things happen.

Thank you! Ariana's quickly becoming my favorite too. (Truth be told, my first choice has been Petrel until as of recent, but oh, I can see where the lesbian tendencies come from. I feel like Ariana's like the Team Rocket dominatrix: just putting anyone in their place, if you know what I mean. Or at least this gives me happy thoughts, so it might just be me.)

Aaaaanyway, moving far, far away from that tangent...

But oh, what a fun tangent it is. :D

I've missed this fic. I was actually thinking about it over the past few days, in the "I wonder where Jax went?" sense.

Aww, I've missed you too!

Seriously, hopefully, the next chapter won't take so god-awful long to put out. It's already well on its way in terms of production; I just need to push myself to work on it a bit more.

but I liked it because of that, I really felt like things were moving along in this chapter. The ball is rolling again and the action is back on track, keep up the pace Valentine!!!

Thank you! Will do! :D

Cryptic Blaze

Blinded by the light
"Study him," she said. "Our operatives are right now attempting to locate him, and we have infiltrated every position possible within this institute. We can give you everything you need to unlock the secret of why Adam is such a unique case."

Why is it that all evil organizations have some world domination plan that involves using some insanely overpowered army to forcefully take over the world? There are better ways to achieve world conquest than that...

"Yes!"

By any means?

Bill stopped under a streetlamp. His body wasn't built for speed, and because of that, he could tell he would have to take it easy if he wanted energy left over for a possible fight. Placing a hand on the pole beside him, he panted.

He nodded and bent over.

Why?

Bill lifted his head. Several different faces flashed across his brain, but the one that lingered was Lanette's, fresh from that memory Adam had summoned not too long ago. He felt Adam slide into his thoughts and look.

It looks like Adam still needs to learn a thing or two about humans, doesn't he?

This chapter was a bit down in the action department, but who says that is a bad thing? It gave more insight into several of the characters, especially John McKenzie, without going completely overboard on the information. I like that. I also get the feeling that in the next chapter (or in the next few chapters) there will be plenty of action with the Caravan, Team Rocket plan, ixodida, and other stuff barreling toward each other. Hopefully Bill and Adam can put aside their differences for once and work together...for science.

I don't mind how late it you get the chapters done, JX...as long as you don't start going several years between chapters :p.

Phantom Kat

Hobo Writer
JX, you're back! :D I hope life's been treating you good. :)

I noticed the update late last night, and I couldn't wait to come back from school to read it. And let me tell you I was not disappointed! While action is good to move the plot and the likes all the dialogue was just great. John just took me by surprise, and it only thickens the plot Team Rocket is cooking up behind the scenes. It took me a while to figure out who was Ariana, but I haven't played Soul Silver in quite a while.

Random typo alert:

He, meanwhile, spent hours poring over each video.

Shouldn't it be "pouring?"

/alert

Adam is just awesome, hands down. To be honest my favorite part from him was his explanation of Bill's name and how it seems humans no longer know who they are. That and anything that deals with foreign languages and the meaning in them makes me break out into a smile. The "William/name turned Bill/nickname" analogy was very good, and it just goes to show that despite the fact that Adam has a long ways to go to understand why humans do some things, especially when it comes to friends, his kind see things in a way humans can't. Maybe one day humans will gain his keen intelligence but certainly not now.

The Caravan! It seems like forever ago that I became excited about it, but maybe in the next chapter we'll finally get some interaction? Though I doubt Bill is looking forward for even more humans to gawk at him. Adam will be poking fun at him in the background, no doubt. :p

If you took years posting a new chapter I don't think the Bill fangirl in me could take it. I'll be like the Ghost at Maiden's Peak, forever checking up on this thread for that lovely update. Tear. D;

Great job like always, JX! No matter what type of chapter you cook up it always manages to hook me! ^-^

- Kat

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Why is it that all evil organizations have some world domination plan that involves using some insanely overpowered army to forcefully take over the world? There are better ways to achieve world conquest than that...

I classify this as a good question. My guess is that as soon as you decide to become an evil overlord, the first thing you do is lose the ability to resist cliché. The more psychotic you are, the more inclined you will be to become a rather predictable evil villain. (I could say so much about Ghetis. So much.)

Either that, or Giovanni isn't particularly creative. I mean, in my opinion? He's the coolest and sanest antagonist out of the lot of them, but he is pretty much like a Bond villain.

It looks like Adam still needs to learn a thing or two about humans, doesn't he?

Or three. ;D That's assuming if Adam wants to learn at all. It seems content with just picking up a few things here or there to make fun of Bill.

This chapter was a bit down in the action department, but who says that is a bad thing? It gave more insight into several of the characters, especially John McKenzie, without going completely overboard on the information. I like that.

Thank you! This is seriously a relief. I was a little afraid that it felt anticlimactic. Just didn't get to the action this time around, unfortunately.

But you're right. Everything's going to come together and spark a major kerfluffle between humans and Ixodida within the next few chapters.

Hopefully Bill and Adam can put aside their differences for once and work together...for science.

Oh, hopefully. But probably not, what with Bill being, "Y'know, it would've helped if you told me I could do that."

I don't mind how late it you get the chapters done, JX...as long as you don't start going several years between chapters :p.

Oh, don't worry about that. XD I'd like to finish this story sometime within this lifetime.

And thanks!

JX, you're back! :D I hope life's been treating you good. :)

Weeeellll... it's been busy, let's just say that. I just hope it'll calm down soon because I'd like to get out of at least one spring with all of my sanity intact.

And let me tell you I was not disappointed! While action is good to move the plot and the likes all the dialogue was just great.

Thank you!

It took me a while to figure out who was Ariana, but I haven't played Soul Silver in quite a while.

Totally okay. I have this weird fondness for using side or otherwise obscure characters.

Shouldn't it be "pouring?"

/alert

Useless fact time! This is actually a lesser-known homophone. "To pore" means "to concentrate," so if you say someone is poring over something, you actually mean someone is studying that something intensely. Meanwhile, if you say that someone is pouring over something, you mean that Second Impact has most likely just happened. [/unnecessary Evangelion reference]

Adam is just awesome, hands down. To be honest my favorite part from him was his explanation of Bill's name and how it seems humans no longer know who they are.

Thank you! I have to admit, that was the most fun I had in the chapter, completely because it's always amusing to write the banter between Bill and Adam. They're like a married couple, only about 100 times more wrong. :D

That and anything that deals with foreign languages and the meaning in them makes me break out into a smile.

*high five for this* Well, now I know what to add more of into my work. ;D

his kind see things in a way humans can't. Maybe one day humans will his keen intelligence but certainly now now.

Oh yes. Or at least hopefully Bill will, especially since a lot of the rest of the fic will probably hinge on that single fact that you just mentioned right now. So, it's really awesome that you managed to pick up on that!

The Caravan! It seems like forever ago that I became excited about it, but maybe in the next chapter we'll finally get some interaction? Though I doubt Bill is looking forward for even more humans to gawk at him. Adam will be poking fun at him in the background, no doubt. :p

Oh yes to all of this. ;D There shall be action! Drama! Mass panic!

As you can tell, I'm having a lot of fun writing the next chapter.

If you took years posting a new chapter I don't think the Bill fangirl in me could take it. I'll be like the Ghost at Maiden's Peak, forever checking up on this thread for that lovely update. Tear. D;

...I love you for this analogy. (One of my favorite episodes right there.)

So now I definitely can't disappoint you. ;D I'll cook up the next chapter as quickly as I can~! And thank you!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Anima Ex Machina: Seventeen
In the first act, there is a pistol on the wall.

Oh you, Jax. Oh you.

The security system of Polaris Institute was top-of-the-line. Every second within its halls was on record in some way. Every conversation was taped. Every motion was filmed. Each clip from the countless recorders and cameras was meticulously stored within Polaris's security database, and these were carefully kept by the complex's security forces.

Of course, with the proper access codes, one could tap into these security records, and John McKenzie had them. Within his locked, darkened office, he sat at the desk and computer, the only two objects that occupied it as of yet. One hand was on the mouse; his other hand held the bulky headphones to his left ear.

On the screen was a single window. A list of files were queued in a media player, and these, in one of John's most noteworthy moments of professionalism, were blanket-labeled the Adam Files.

Beautiful scene setting here. I can picture it, and I like what I see.

Although his team was expecting him in one laboratory or another, he left them to study XP-650A. He, meanwhile, spent hours poring over each video. Silently, he watched as a team of chansey pinned his son's limbs to a bed while doctors struggled to inject anesthetic after anesthetic into his body. He didn't flinch as he listened to his son's screaming, the babbling, the whimpering, the cracking of bones. He felt nothing as he watched the creature shed his son's skin, use his hands to claw at everything within reach, thrash against the bonds that pinned him to the bed. It should have been horrific, but John tried his best to remain as professional as possible. Even when his heart pounded and the bile rose to the back of his mouth, he sat and forced himself to keep watching. It was in the name of science, after all.

Yet, one video caught him completely off-guard. It was the second-to-last one. By then, his child was recognizable only by his face; every other part of him was a monster. John had watched hours of the creature barely even pretending to be the human he knew. He had expected nothing else but more footage of the demon lashing out against its bonds, but this time, the last time, Bill simply woke up.

This part is difficult to swallow at once. That's a good thing; you've exceeded yourself at presenting an utterly horrifying scenario that makes the reader uncomfortable.

Intrigued, John watched as Professor Oak had the cuffs taken off. He watched as Oak entered the room and Bill, while crying and shuddering with his hands on his head, struggled to adjust. Minutes marched on, and the creature John watched became steadily calmer. The shivering ceased. His hands drew away from his scalp. He stopped fighting against his own body and eventually came to look into Professor Oak's eyes.

Then, for the first time in a long time, John McKenzie heard his son's true voice.

"I don't have much of a choice," he said.

Professor Oak's expression remained calm through his response. "Of course you do. You know how the ethical codes work these days. If you said you'd be uncomfortable with it, we wouldn't be able to conduct anything on you, not even an interrogation. You'll always have a say, Bill."

"No," Bill replied, not even missing a beat, "I really don't, and it has nothing to do with what the ethical codes state. Professor, as a researcher, it's my duty to do everything in my power to help this project. While I don't know if you'll let me resume my place on the staff, I can't say no to allowing you to get as much information as possible from me."

"You're really starting to sound like your old self now."

John sat back and sighed. "Indeed he is, Sam. Indeed he is. But why?"

Bill's professionalism is astounding. Seriously.

With a flick of the mouse, John moved the cursor to the next video. Clicking on it, he was presented with the image of a hallway. Corpses of security staff littered the sides and corners, and a fainted jynx lay limp on the floor. Standing over her were two sides of a war. On the one side, he immediately recognized Professor Nettle, and by her sides were interns and other scientists, all ready and waiting for her commands. On the other side were a crouched electric-type ixodida and the creature he was studying. Right away, it struck John as strange that the steel-type wasn't crouched like his companion was. Rather, he stood with his hands open, palms facing his would-be attackers. Turning up the volume, John found himself entering a conversation.

"Wait!" Bill exclaimed. "Just let us go. Professor, he can kill us all, but he won't if—"

"He's intelligent," Nettle interrupted.

The blonde to her left smirked. "Mm-hmm. Not at all like Pandora or Abel. Giovanni will adore this."

John practically threw the headphones onto the keyboard. The video continued to play as he placed his hands on the desk. Bowing his head, he breathed. Outwardly, he showed no other signs of shock; his face wasn't pale, his eyes weren't wide, and his breathing was natural. Inside, he began to feel a creeping sensation crawl under his skin.

This is one of those times when the impact of what's really going on suddenly hits you like a truck.

I wonder what became of Pandora and Abel exactly...

It only got worse when he realized he wasn't the only one in the room.

"Codename Adam is a remarkable specimen, don't you agree?" a voice drawled.

He straightened and sat back in his chair. Although he wasn't smiling, he still responded as casually as he would if Professor Oak had made the comment.

"I don't believe I've met you," he said.

"I wouldn't be surprised, Professor McKenzie," the red-head said as she stepped forward. "I was promoted long after you left the firm."

She placed her hands heavily on the back of his chair. As she leaned down to put her mouth close to his ear, he could feel her breath and warmth looming all around him.

"The famous John McKenzie," she murmured. "They still talk about you. It's not often that one quits Team Rocket, much less someone as important to our operations as you."

He shrugged. "Forgive me for saying this, but of course I would. I realized a little too belatedly that maintaining a relationship with you wasn't profitable. Mr. di Roketto understands, most likely."

"Less likely than you assume," Ariana responded. "You're a very difficult man to track down, professor, but Giovanni is an equally patient man. Perhaps you shouldn't have left Goldenrod City."

Aw crap. Ariana's here hide your booze.

I hadn't expected some of the developments in these passages, like Ariana's arrival and the revelation of the McKenzie family's ties to Team Rocket. This could be interesting how you're depicting them, using "the firm."

"Hm. Of all the times to decide not to bring a drink with me into the laboratory." He clicked the media player closed. "Forgive me, my dear, but even if Mr. di Roketto wanted me that badly, he surely should have realized by now that capturing me would be pointless. It's been almost twenty years. Given that I haven't heard anything noteworthy about your organization in the news, I think it's safe to say that the project was a failure anyway, and besides that, I had twenty years to go to the authorities, didn't I?"

"It was hardly a failure, and I believe you're a smart enough man to know why going to the authorities would be a foolish move."

Assuming this is referring to what I think, I never even thought for a second Bill would have had any ties in any way to it, but now that it's in front of me I can't believe I never thought of it.

At last, John cracked a grin. "You can't use my family against me, love. My wife can take care of herself, my daughters were raised to be strong, and I'd hardly think you'd waste my son on bait. I wouldn't be stupid or sentimental enough to take it anyway."

"You have it all wrong this time, Professor McKenzie," Ariana replied. "Perhaps we would have considered all of that earlier, but the circumstances are quite different now. As I've said… Codename Adam is a very fascinating specimen, isn't he?"

The creeping feeling returned in full force, and the smile faded from John's face. Still, he kept his eyes on the computer, although he forced himself to relax as much as he could.

"It's a grave mistake to underestimate a McKenzie, least of all William," he said.

Okay, I like this guy. A lot.

"I'm not underestimating anyone. I'm simply asking you for a favor."

"Which is?"

Ariana's hands moved to John's shoulders. He wanted to shrug them off, but he knew the woman would use any indication of emotion against him. She was a member of Team Rocket, after all. They were all the same that way.

Why do I get the feeling Ariana would go further than his shoulders if she had to?

Ariana withdrew, allowing her hands to fall to her sides. Exhaling, John shook his head and logged off the computer.

"Team Rocket never changes," he muttered. "Not even when it was run by that nitwit of a woman. No offense intended, ma'am."

Bill and his family are really good at being champions of the obvious, aren't they?

Nitwit of a woman. Psssssh.

"Giovanni would agree with you concerning that statement. What about my proposal, professor?"

John crossed his arms. "Why bother me about it? Why not one of your operatives?"

Ariana grinned. "Because Bill would trust you the most. You are his father, after all, aren't you?"

As soon as she finished, John burst into laughter. Ariana took a step back, her expression faltering as she eyed her associate carefully. In the meantime, he stood, wiped tears from his eyes, and gave her a smile.

"All this time you've been chasing me, you really never learned anything about me?" he asked. "I'm the last person William would trust. We're not exactly on speaking terms, you know. He thinks I'm a lazy, womanizing, drunken git, and I respond with, 'Thank you, and I was hoping you'd be a girl.' We compliment each other all the time like that. Our relationship is the envy of every father and son across Johto."

Alright, I take back what I said about liking him. Now I just think he's awesome.

He sauntered over to her and leaned in close to her face, forcing her to reel backwards.

"Here's a lesson you could learn from Giovanni," he told her. "If you're gonna ask someone to do something for you, you'd best be prepared with either something they desperately want or a fine ultimatum. Right now, there's nothing I want, and if I had a choice between working for you again or saving William from the pits of Hell, I'd say I couldn't imagine anyone who would enjoy a place as boring as Heaven anyway."

Turning, he walked towards the door. Ariana didn't bother to stop him. She simply stared as John unlocked the door and turned the handle.

"Professor McKenzie," Ariana abruptly said, "what if I told you I could pay you handsomely?"

John opened the door a crack. "Funny. That's what Giovanni said the first time around."

Then, he left the room before the executive could say a word.

Alright, THAT was unexpected. Did not see it coming, not one bit.

---​

"Bill?"

He opened his eyes to see sunlight filtering through a lush, green oak tree. Sitting up, he stretched, taking in the warmth of the sun and spring breeze. Turning his head, he caught the red-eyed gaze of his companion. Lanette looked different then. Her hair was shorter, and most of it hung down to her shoulder blades except for a few orange locks clipped to the back of her head by a barrette. Her clothing was neater. No rips, no tears, nothing out-of-place on either the crisp, white blouse, the lab coat, or the green pencil skirt. Most importantly, on her face was a sharp frown, yet Bill knew that a few seconds ago, the softness of her voice betrayed a completely different emotion.

"What on Earth are you doing out here?" she asked. "You have ten minutes until you speak in front of the most prominent researchers in the nation, and here you are, sleeping under a tree!"

Bill rubbed his eyes. "I was not sleeping. I was meditating."

"I thought you didn't like being outside."

"I don't like speaking in front of large groups of people, either."

"Too bad. It's in your job description."

"Where?"

"Right under writing theses, attending Symposium events, and the thousand other things you say you don't like to do. Why are you a researcher anyway, Bill?"

He stood and dusted himself off. After a moment of thought, he replied, "The spare moments I spend studying anything at all make it worth it. How do I look?"

Lanette eyed him carefully. Glancing at her in response to the silence, Bill noticed her press her lips together and fight off a smile. He looked down at himself and then back at Lanette. Then, with a tilt of his head, he gave her a glare.

"Come on, Lanette. I'm wearing the plainest outfit I own," he said.

"It's not that. You, uh…" She pointed at his head and lowered the volume of her voice. "You have leaves in your hair."

"What?"

He shook his head vigorously and then ran his fingers through his curls. Sure enough, a rain of dead leaves and leaf debris rained down around him. Straightening his gaze, he pulled his bangs out of his eyes.

"How about now?" he asked.

Relaxing, Lanette let herself grin sympathetically as she reached up to pluck a twig out of her partner's hair.

"Better," she replied. "Now, come on. I promised Brigette I wouldn't be long, and I think poor Celio will give himself a heart-attack from waiting for you."

Bill ran his fingers through his hair one more time. "And Bebe?"

"If we don't get back soon, she'll think we… well, you know Bebe."

He sighed. "Indeed I do."

Instantly, Bill shot her a wide-eyed look. His face grew bright red as he snapped, "Or at all, I should hope!"

She simply looked at him.

"Or I mean to say… you and I… we're, ah…" Bill hesitated. "I've gotten into a bit of a mess, haven't I?"

"Once again," Lanette said, "but I forgive you because you're you."

She turned to walk away. Bill stared at her back for several beats before straightening.

"Hey! What do you mean by that?!" he called.

Without even turning around, she answered, "You're a genius, Bill. Figure it out!"

He stood rooted to his spot as he watched the distance between the two of them grow larger. Then, he glanced towards the blue sky and clenched his teeth.

"Adam," he said, "get out of my head."

Okay, that was shaping up to be an awesome flashback scene, then suddenly you threw it for a loop. Stop screwing with me! XD;

Snapping back into reality, Adam let the image in front of it dissolve into what Bill was seeing. Instead of the warm campus, the two of them looked at a bare wall in a cold, dark building. Bill was sitting, not standing, and their hand was still chained to the parapet around the catwalk, not running through soft, curly hair.

Forgive me, Adam drawled, but Lanette seems too intriguing to resist.

Bill narrowed his eyes at the wall. "You weren't supposed to see that."

On the contrary, Bill. We are two halves of a symbiotic pair. So long as you and I coexist within this body, I have every right to know the darkest secrets of your mind. Perhaps one of them could be important. Besides, I would hardly call that particular memory dark.

Oh I'm sure Bill has some dark secrets in his mind about Lanette. Methinks Adam's picked up some of them.

"It wasn't," Bill admitted, "but I would still appreciate some sense of privacy when it comes to my memories."

I have no desire to argue with you this time.

"Then don't."

I hope Adam purchased some Burn Heal before he landed on Earth, because he just got TOLD. That's Bill for you, possessed by an alien virus and mouthing off to it.

Bill shut his eyes again. His encounter with Lanette left him with a sour taste in his mouth, and because of that, he wasn't in the mood to deal with Adam. Slowing his breathing, he cleared his mind and sat in silence, his hand hanging heavily within the cuff. In that state, only one question floated into his mind. It filled every crevice of his brain, and his lack of an answer to it gave him an uncomfortable, painful feeling in his chest.

There is something else I learned from your memories besides the depths to which you care for your Lanette, Adam commented.

At the sound of the parasite's voice, Bill winced. He opened one eye and stared at the ceiling. Although the last thing he wanted at that point was to deal with Adam, he didn't stop the creature right away.

It is fascinating that humans had so many different languages, but you all distilled it down to one hybrid, it said.

Bill sighed in exasperation and shut his eye again. "What are you on about now?"

Your name. What does it mean? William. From an old place – Germany, it was called. Yet your people did not consider themselves German. No, not for nearly a thousand years.

This could be interesting. Certainly not a thread I would have started at this point...

"It doesn't matter anymore, Adam."

But it does, the parasite drawled. You search for your purpose, but you need not look any further than your own name. Wil. From the word will, meaning the unwavering inner strength to carry out one's desires. Helm. From the word helmet, a metaphor for protection. Together, they mean "willful protector," he who defends others regardless of the risk. Your purpose is there, Bill. Every moment of your life is pointing you towards protecting your people. Do not give up on them, even if they turn you down.

For a few moments, Adam waited in silence. Then, when not a word came from his host, it tried to push itself back into his mind to search for his thoughts. It was mildly surprised to feel a division between them. Pressing against the wall around Bill's mind, Adam realized that the human was learning, was actively attempting to keep the parasite out of his head. Amused, Adam withdrew and mentally circled around Bill, searching for a weak point.

On the other hand, it is curious that you shorten your name. A bastardization of your true purpose. Perhaps you already realized this?

For a second time, Bill sighed. He opened his eyes and glared at the wall straight ahead of him. "Adam, I'd like to make two comments. First, I have absolutely no problem with my real name. I simply prefer being called Bill because I like the way it sounds. Second, if this is the best you can do with attempting to force me to act, I would like to say that if I hadn't already made up my mind and if my actions would be determined by your charisma, I would almost certainly prefer sitting here to die."

Fascinating. Getting such rich scenery and meaning out of such a simple point like his name is unexpected, but it is also fulfilling.

Adam stopped where it was. Already made up your mind?

"Yes. I never liked sitting around doing nothing, and I detest the idea of suicide. The only reason why I'm still here is because--" At this point, Bill lifted his arm, allowing the handcuffs to rattle against his wrist and the bars of the parapet. "--there seems to be a minor inconvenience preventing me from escaping. Furthermore, the longer you continue to distract me, the less time I can spend answering the question of how we might be able to resolve this issue."

Oh. You should have said something. I could have offered assistance.

Raising an eyebrow, Bill lifted his hand just enough to pull the chain taut between his wrist and the bars behind him. He eyed the few inches of chain carefully, long enough to give Adam a good look.

"The chain is too short to cut with claws or my tail, Adam, even if I could concentrate enough to execute an attack properly."

Correct.

Gravely.

Bill looked towards the ceiling and considered Adam's advice. It sounded crazy in his mind, but crazy or not, he couldn't think of many options himself. Knowing this, he humored Adam and pulled his arm until the cuffs resisted. When it did, he snapped his limb forward to make it clear that it wasn't going anywhere.

No, no. Pull harder.

"…Harder?"

Correct.

Pressing his lips together, Bill pulled. Again, the cuffs held.

Slower. Put as much force into it as you can. Do not be afraid of damaging your wrist. You will not, I assure you.

Bill hesitated. He fixed his gaze on the chain, already pulled as far as it would go. What would yanking it harder do?

Sensing his uncertainty, Adam added, You must learn to trust me, Bill. I need your body to survive. Therefore, everything I tell you will be in your best interests.

Relaxing just a bit, Bill whispered, "A-all right."

Then, he pulled at the chain. At first, it continued to resist, but the more he leaned away from the bars, the more it creaked beneath his weight. The metal stretched like flimsy plastic, thinning gradually until at last, it snapped, sending Bill crashing to the floor of the catwalk. At once, he sat up and lifted his wrist. The severed chain dangled from a bent cuff still around his arm.

Well of course it's that simple. It always is, isn't it?

"We need to get down somehow. Do I have a power that would let me survive this far of a drop?"

Several, but why do we not simply use the way I had entered this place the last time?

Bill looked around. He had nearly forgotten that this wasn't his first time in the Mauville Gym, but no matter how hard he tried to remember, nothing was coming to mind as to how his partner had broken into the gym. Adam noticed his silence, and in the ensuing beat, Bill could feel the parasite in his head.

Give me control. I will show you.

Stopping, Bill considered it with a shudder. At first, he could think of a thousand reasons why Adam's proposal felt wrong. Then again, what choice did he have? Adam knew his body more than he did at that point, and although it was his job to test unknowns, there was a line between scientific curiosity and suicidal levels of crazy. Reluctantly, he closed his eyes and let himself be pulled back into his head. From that point forward, he trained his mind not to think about the possibilities as his eyes opened on their own.

"It seems you have begun to learn," Adam commented. "You trust me."

Adam, I'll do whatever needs to be done. Please keep us safe.

I got a chill down my spine.

"Did you think I would fail at that much?"

Adam unwound their tail and snaked it out from under Bill's shirt. The parasite stretched, dropped to all fours, and darted across the catwalk a wall at one end. Bill watched from inside, trying to piece together what his companion was about to do until he noticed the rows of holes dotting the wall. As Adam approached, Bill noticed that they stopped a few feet from the floor of the catwalk but ran straight upwards to just beyond his field of vision. He couldn't imagine where they might have led until he noticed chunks of plaster and dust littering that end of the catwalk. Adam ignored these as he bound over them to the wall, leaving Bill no time to think about them.

Then, Adam sprang up and latched onto the wall with both hands and feet. For a moment, Bill was left completely speechless, unable to react as Adam scaled the wall. At times, the parasite used the holes as footholds; at others, it created completely new ones by punching its claws into the plaster. Bill struggled to process all of this until, finally, his mind came up with one line.

I see what you're saying here, but allow me to say that I was caught off guard by how you're writing the conversion between Bill and Adam. It's largely been that he's been referred to as one singular being thus far, but when Adam came into control, you said "their tail." It's not wrong, and I can see why you did it, but it was a bit jarring.

Surely you're joking.

"Why?" Adam asked. "Is this amusing to you?"

Certainly not! Bill paused. It's just… defiant of… almost everything that I was thinking.

"I must reiterate, Bill. Stop seeing our body as human. It will be much easier to accept that you no longer have the limitations you once did."

Bill couldn't think of anything to say to that. Instead, he sat back and watched his body traverse the wall, eventually arriving at the ceiling. There, Adam continued, hooking their tail directly into the tiles as an added anchor. Fixing their eyes on a small hole hidden above one of the gym's lights, Adam skittered quickly upside-down until it climbed through the roof.

Outside, the sun sat high in the sky, forcing Adam to squint at the sudden, harsh light. Yet, even then it didn't slow down as it darted across the roof to the edge. It peered down over the parapet along the roof to an empty alley behind the gym. Although Bill couldn't think straight, he could tell it was well above a few feet from the ground to where they were.

Great scenery setting.

Before a single one could get out, however, a scream rose from a distance, followed by the sounds of gunshots. Jolting out of his meditations, Bill looked to the sky. The shrieks were uncomfortably familiar to him.

"Ixodida calls…" His eyes widened. "The Caravan!"

Aw crap.

His feet sprang into a run. He didn't think twice about it. All he could do was imagine what was happening blocks away.

Bill, Adam said, what are you doing?

"Yes!"

By any means?

He nodded and bent over.

Why?

Oh, Bill. Never change.

Before Adam could argue, he started into another run.

Behind him, a pair of purple eyes peered out from the alley by the gym. 009 pursed her lips as her hand reached up to press a button on a communicator attached to her ear.

"This is 009. Target spotted."

"But not captured?" Nettle hissed over the device.

"Good things come to those who wait, Professor. Trust me."

With that, she stalked out into the empty street, taking her time to follow.

...aaaaaaaand then everything just got even worse. ****.

I have to say, while not much technically happened in this chapter, what did happen was written in such a good way that it became substantial in a different way. The surprise revelations surrounding John, Ariana and Team Rocket, and then the cliffhanger ending with the Caravan, were both great plot points this time.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Ooh! Thanks, Nando! As a side note, I swear I will eventually get to your fic too. When real life stops trying to kill me.

Oh you, Jax. Oh you.

*le bow* Also, cookie for being the first person who pointed that out.

Beautiful scene setting here. I can picture it, and I like what I see.

This part is difficult to swallow at once. That's a good thing; you've exceeded yourself at presenting an utterly horrifying scenario that makes the reader uncomfortable.

Thank you! I have to admit, I was having some weird trouble with that first scene you quoted. I don't know why, but I figured out that it's randomly difficult for me to describe someone using a computer.

As for the other scene, I'm really glad it made you feel uncomfortable. That's pretty much what I was going for there. ;D

Bill's professionalism is astounding. Seriously.

Amen to that. It's completely in-character, too. ("Pokémon I spent years trying to contact was enraged and incurred thousands of dollars of property damage on my home before running away? That's okay!")

I wonder what became of Pandora and Abel exactly...

Abel actually died a few chapters back. (I think it was around chapter six. Basically, the Mauville citizens surrounded him and shot him through his core, so there's really no chance in a frosty Hell that he'll be coming back. Bill wasn't too pleased to watch that.)

Pandora, on the other hand...

Aw crap. Ariana's here hide your booze.

;D

I hadn't expected some of the developments in these passages, like Ariana's arrival and the revelation of the McKenzie family's ties to Team Rocket. This could be interesting how you're depicting them, using "the firm."

Bwahahahahaaaa... (Or, at least, John uses them. I'll get into this in just a moment.)

Assuming this is referring to what I think, I never even thought for a second Bill would have had any ties in any way to it, but now that it's in front of me I can't believe I never thought of it.

Oooh, if it is what I think you think it is (lolwut), then...

You're absolutely right. John McKenzie worked on the Mewtwo Project. I don't really know on what capacity he worked, but I can safely say that psychology wasn't always his forte. Before that, he worked for Silph Co. as a physiological researcher -- namely, not only studying how Pokémon use their abilities but also developing new techniques trainers can use. As in, yes, I went there. John invented and developed TMs and HMs. This is also how he eventually became the Move Tutor: because he has such an understanding of Pokémon moves that he can unlock their full potentials.

But in any case, Team Rocket spotted that and said, "DO WANT." Because, seriously, they needed not only someone to develop Mewtwo's body but also someone to "set" its movepool. John just saw it as a golden opportunity in the name of science; he didn't realize that Team Rocket was a criminal organization until much later. By then, he was able to take notes on Mewtwo for his own personal understanding.

Buuut the whole "criminal organization" thing wasn't much his style, and he had a baby on the way and a wife to think about. So, he said sayonara to Giovanni, packed up, and went into hiding in the most populous city in Japan.

Does Bill know about any of this? Nope. Bill was born shortly after all of this, so as far as he knows, his father just decided to stop being one of the foremost Pokémon researchers in Johto for no apparent reason. Which pisses Bill off like no other because for Bill, Pokémon research is srs bsnss. Nonetheless, he stumbled across his father's notes way back when, and long story short...

...This would be why there's a Mewtwo on Bill's door.

Okay, I like this guy. A lot.

It's really hard not to. ;D

Why do I get the feeling Ariana would go further than his shoulders if she had to?

Because she totally would. *le nod* It's just that John didn't give her nearly enough time.

Bill and his family are really good at being champions of the obvious, aren't they?

Pretty much! Bill, unintentionally so. Everyone else? Mmm, snarkers.

Nitwit of a woman. Psssssh.

And this is the only thing John and Giovanni can agree on.

Alright, I take back what I said about liking him. Now I just think he's awesome.

XD

Y'know, I could fit in a your mom joke here, and given John's personality, it would probably be dangerously close to believable. (He really is a drunken, womanizing git.)

Alright, THAT was unexpected. Did not see it coming, not one bit.

John McKenzie: Master of the Subverted Trope

Okay, that was shaping up to be an awesome flashback scene, then suddenly you threw it for a loop. Stop screwing with me! XD;

Oh, c'mon, bby. You know it's good. ;D *lights up cigarette*

Oh I'm sure Bill has some dark secrets in his mind about Lanette. Methinks Adam's picked up some of them.

Oh, most definitely. Even Bill's no stranger to a select number of the Seven Deadlies, if you know what I mean.

I hope Adam purchased some Burn Heal before he landed on Earth, because he just got TOLD. That's Bill for you, possessed by an alien virus and mouthing off to it.

Pretty much. XD Bill... just doesn't see things the way normal people would, no. *shakes head*

This could be interesting. Certainly not a thread I would have started at this point...

Yep. But when your host has decided to sit there instead of do anything for hours on end (never mind the fact that he might have been sleeping up until now), you gotta cure boredom somehow. Including just rambling on until he cracks.

Fascinating. Getting such rich scenery and meaning out of such a simple point like his name is unexpected, but it is also fulfilling.

Thank you!

Well of course it's that simple. It always is, isn't it?

Naturally. ;D

I got a chill down my spine.

Aaaand my work here is done. \o/

I see what you're saying here, but allow me to say that I was caught off guard by how you're writing the conversion between Bill and Adam. It's largely been that he's been referred to as one singular being thus far, but when Adam came into control, you said "their tail." It's not wrong, and I can see why you did it, but it was a bit jarring.

Hmm. I definitely see what you're saying there, and I'll check it out again on the edit blitz I've got planned. You're right. Normally, I see them as separate entities because it makes the division between them clear as day. In this case... I'm not sure why I decided to refer to them together. I vaguely recall wondering whether or not I should keep it that way, and I think I might've dropped the subject after a bit.

;D

Oh, Bill. Never change.

Knowing him, he probably won't. XD Much, anyway. It'll take a bit more beating before he decides to change his strategy at the very least.

...aaaaaaaand then everything just got even worse. ****.

Yep. ;D

I have to say, while not much technically happened in this chapter, what did happen was written in such a good way that it became substantial in a different way. The surprise revelations surrounding John, Ariana and Team Rocket, and then the cliffhanger ending with the Caravan, were both great plot points this time.

Thank you! And I hope I'll be able to follow up on that cliffhanger sufficiently enough with something awesome. Y'know. So that entire thing doesn't seem massively anticlimactic and so you don't look at me with a :| face.

But seriously, thanks for the review~!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
*dusts off thread* OH HEY, GUYS. MAYBE THIS MONTH, REAL LIFE WON'T EAT ME?

Yeah, wishful thinking, but hey.

Anima Ex Machina: Eighteen
The power is yet unknown.

A wise man once said that if a normal person pulled a lever and received an electric shock, he wouldn't pull the lever again; if a scientist did it, he'd do it at least twice to see if it would happen again. This was largely true in Bill's world. In terms of common sense, pokémon researchers were generally stupid people. This would also explain why Bill, who had very little battling experience and an equal amount of understanding as to how his powers worked, ran headlong into hurricane force winds.

Slamming into a telephone pole, Bill grimaced and braced his back against the fixture. As he opened one eye, he cautiously surveyed what he was up against. Before him lay a war zone. The street in front of the pokémon center was, in a sense, just as he left it: crammed with cars, tents, people, and pokémon. Yet, the difference here was that the orderliness of the Caravan was gone. Cars were overturned or in the process of being overturned. Debris – everything from trash to pots and clothing – sailed along strong currents of wind. People, all of whom were to his luck too distracted by the fighting to notice him, were armed and shooting towards the sky if they weren't running or being tossed right along with everything else the gusts picked up. Pokémon turned their limbs towards a spot above them and fired everything from flames to leaves. Glancing towards the sky, Bill caught sight of what was causing the commotion, and that sight alone was enough to stop him right where he was.

Above the battleground were three white ixodida. All three of them whipped their wings furiously, churning the air into strong gales. Blue feathers of light shot from one harpy's wings to cut through the air and slam into the trainers just beneath her. The second twisted her wings, and the gales she generated picked up every pokémon and person in her path. At the same time, the third held out her hands and turned them in front of her as if to weave the winds around her sisters. All of this happened while they suspended themselves far above their attackers.

Having had enough of this sight, Bill dashed for a nearby building. The windows had been blown out by the storm, so he had no trouble slipping inside to find the comparatively peaceful interior of a wind-gutted shop. As he scrambled over broken glass and overturned shelves of shirts and clothing, he concentrated on only one thing.

"Flying," Bill muttered. "Why are they flying?"

Inside his head, he could feel Adam's presence. Well, Bill, I do believe they would be what your kind call "flying-types."

"Yes, but…" He shook his head. "I'm not a flying-type! I think."

Your point?

"Why are they flying?!"

Adam sighed. If you are asking why they are of the Wind Clan but you are not, that would be explained by the fact that I hardly care for their kind at all. Bill, you are in the middle of a battle. What is your next move?

"My next move?"

Yes. I would assume you are planning on doing something besides run.

"I-I'm working on it."

He tore across the store and to the opposite wall. Seemingly at random, he began throwing open every door he could find along it – doors to closets, to bathrooms, to back rooms. Adam watched as its host scrambled into the latter, clamoring over cardboard boxes in search of another door.

Is that so? Adam asked. And what, may I ask, are you planning on doing exactly?

"I need to get to the roof," Bill replied, as if it was the simplest question in the world.

And from there?

"I haven't the faintest."

Bill reached a door on the opposite side of the wall. Shoving it open, he slipped outside once again, but this time, he found an alley just behind the store. Just outside, the wind was not much more than a cold breeze carrying the strong scent of garbage. The other ixodida were nowhere to be seen, but Bill could hear them clearly on the other side of the building – a sharp reminder of why he was out there. At the same time, he couldn't see any sign of what he was looking for: a fire escape, a ladder, anything that would help him climb the brick walls surrounding him. Realizing this fact, he raised his claws and examined them.

"Adam," he said.

Yes, Bill?

"When you climbed the gym wall, you didn't need to do anything else but pierce the surface, correct?"

Correct. If you tried it, our body will know what to do.

"Is that so?" Bill replied quietly. Then, he gazed at the brick wall of the shop. "Well. Nothing to lose, I suppose."

He approached the wall and placed a hand on it. Experimentally, he pushed his claws into the brick, feeling their hard tips grind against the solid surface.

You will need to hit it harder than that, Bill.

Bill hesitated, hand feeling the solidity of the brick and mind acknowledging that stabbing a wall with one's own fingers would most likely hurt just a bit. Nonetheless, he closed his eyes and tried to follow Adam's advice. His body would know what to do, but how was he supposed to make a connection between what he wanted it to do and what it could do?

The sound of the birds' shrieks from the other side of the building snapped him out of his meditations. Looking up, he saw a flash of light, and he could hear a crack of thunder. With that, Bill steadied himself and turned his eyes back to the wall. He brought a hand back and let it cut through the air until it slammed into the surface. All five of his claws sank into the material like nails being driven into it with a hammer. His other hand followed, and soon, Bill found himself climbing up the wall without much effort.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he murmured.

You can do much more, Adam replied, but this is a good start.

Bill briefly thought to ask Adam what he meant, but as he climbed onto the roof, he felt the wind from the ixodida not far away. It served as his anchor, his focus point as he clambered over the edge of the building and onto the roof. Looking up, he caught a glimpse of the three birds, still stirring winds between them above the main street. Jumping to his feet, Bill launched himself forward until he stood on the edge of the roof closest to them. Part of him felt shudders of nervousness; he knew he didn't really think his plan all the way through. The other part, meanwhile, was the one that drove him to lift an arm and wave it at the other ixodida.

"Hey!" he shouted. "Hey! Over here!"

While two of the harpies broke formation to dive at the crowd beneath them, the third turned her head to look at Bill. He opened his mouth, prepared to speak and address her, but then, something hot hit him from behind. In the next few seconds, all he could see was green light. He felt as if a sledgehammer slammed into his spine. The ground slipped from beneath his feet, and all of a sudden, his limbs flailed through the air until his fingertips hit brick. His entire body jolted, and right then, Bill realized he was hanging from the wall, back and arms throbbing with a stabbing, hot pain. The other ixodida's shriek filled his ears, and mid-wince, he caught sight of a white blur sailing above him.

Shakily, he pulled himself upwards and back onto the roof just in time to watch the harpy slam her entire form into Lanette's altaria. Lanette herself leapt into the air to dismount, landing with her back turned towards Bill.

"Altaria! Blind it with Toxic!" she ordered.

The bird screeched and enveloped the alien with her wings. As soon as she realized what was about to happen, the harpy thrashed as her enemy craned her slender neck and began hacking and coughing. The bird's beak opened, and a black, viscous mass splattered onto the ixodida's face. Skin hissed beneath a coat of slime as the harpy screamed and violently twisted her body in an effort to get away.

Across the roof, Lanette pulled her crowbar free from the straps across her back. "Altaria, send her back. DragonBreath!"

Once more, the altaria whipped her head upwards and opened her beak. This time, sparks of green light gathered in the back of her throat. The glow grew quickly until it filled her entire mouth. Then, she unfolded her wings and exhaled, breathing out the energy in the form of a wide, green beam. Blind and unable to defend herself, Altaria's opponent took the brunt of the attack and sailed backwards, her screams drowning in the roar of the blast. At the same time, Lanette gracefully stepped aside and swung her crowbar into the incoming harpy. Metal met the ixodida's skull with a sickening crack, driving her to flip in the air and fall limply like a ragdoll onto the tar roof. Lanette wasted no time from there: she flipped her crowbar with one hand and stabbed the white-feathered creature through her stomach. Green liquid and blood spurted out from the jewel on the alien's torso.

Bill had never been so terrified of someone he knew in all his life. He watched her yank her crowbar free from the ixodida's body. In his silence, he rose to his feet once more, but he couldn't force his mind to work enough to say something to her. It was Lanette who had to break the quiet between them, although she never turned to face him.

"Do you want to die?" she growled.

"W-what?" Bill murmured.

Lanette flicked her wrist, shaking blood and the parasite's bodily fluids off her crowbar.

"I was very clear with the sentence I gave you," she said. "Exile or death. And here you are."

"Lanette…" Bill forced himself to smile at her. "You-you wouldn't really… would you?"

She turned her head to look over a shoulder at him. Without warning, she screamed and lunged at him, swinging her crowbar at his head. Instinctively, he ducked, dodging her first strike narrowly. His arms flew in front of his face to defend himself as his entire body began to glow silver. Her crowbar connected with his forearm with a resounding clang, but with Iron Defense reinforcing Bill's armor, Lanette's weapon slid off him harmlessly. For Bill, a dull ache radiated from the spot she hit, but it was nothing compared to the pain he felt when Lanette's crowbar nailed him on the side of the head. His vision flooded with fuzzy spots as he reeled away from her. One of his hands grasped the side of his head, and he closed one eye and gritted his teeth.

"You're serious!" he yelped. "Lanette, stop!"

His vision resolved just seconds before he saw another flash of silver headed towards the other side of his head. A gasp caught in his throat as he sidestepped his colleague, but this put him in clear range of a large, round sphere of green light launched by the altaria hovering nearby. For the second time in a span of fifteen minutes, Bill pinwheeled through the air, hot pain lacing through his limbs before he faceplanted into the roof on the opposite side of the building. Groaning, he lifted his head and squinted just enough to see a blue blob hanging several feet away from him. A brown boot came down hard next to him, and, already shaking, he turned his eyes to see Lanette standing above him.

"Why won't you put up a fight?" she asked.

Bill coughed. He planted his hands on the roof and pushed until he knelt with his head bowed.

"Because I'm not your enemy," he replied.

"No," she said quietly. "That's not what I meant."

She swung one more time, smacking Bill in the back of the head. He sprawled onto the roof again, but this time, Lanette pushed him onto his back with one of her feet. That same foot planted itself onto his chest, and both of her hands drew in front of her to encircle the crowbar tightly.

"I mean you're possibly the most pathetic ixodida I've ever met," she told him.

She raised her crowbar, pointed end aimed at Bill's head. Right when it was raised as high as she could lift it, a white figure swooped down and grabbed the other end. Lanette had no time to defend herself before she was pulled into the air by a pair of white-feathered arms. Altaria shrieked and turned her head, beak open as green light gathered in her beak, but she hesitated as her target held her master close. Bill sat up, eyes wide as he watched both Lanette and the creature rise into the air with altaria trailing far behind. Two other ixodida joined them shortly afterwards.

It didn't take long for two realizations to hit Bill. First, the obvious – that Lanette was just captured by a bunch of ixodida. The second was a bit more obscure.

"Adam, weren't there only three ixodida?" Bill asked quickly.

Without hesitation, Adam replied, Yes, Bill, I do believe there were.

"One of them is dead."

Yes, Bill.

"There's…"

Bill forced himself to his feet as quickly as his injuries would allow. Yelping, he held his head as the world swam around him.

"Adam, I need to think. How quickly can my body recover from Lanette's attacks?"

Luckily, not that long. We should be within fighting condition in a few minutes.

Grumbling, Bill opened an eye. "I really don't plan on fighting, but I need a way to follow those ixodida. How high can I jump?"

Not very.

"Can I draw them to me?"

I would hardly suggest it.

"What if I used an attack to launch myself towards them? Perhaps Hyper Beam or something of that nature?"

I do believe that would be considered a ridiculous idea.

Bill sighed in exasperation. "Then what can I do?"

There was a pause as Bill watched the white figures grow more and more distant. He thought for a moment that Adam was simply not going to help him at all, but as he began to rattle his brain for a plan of his own, the parasite responded.

There is one thing you can do.

Bill glanced down. "What?"

Run forward and jump.

"What?!"

Do it. You will see.

Bill fixed his jaw. Glancing around him, he couldn't quite see anything that would help him put together a better idea, and in any case, Adam knew his body best… right? Taking a deep breath, Bill fixed his eyes straight ahead. Once he cleared his mind, he sprinted forward, his every muscle focused on carrying him to the edge of the building as quickly as possible. He had no idea what he was going to do. No combination of powers came to mind. All he thought about was running, as if that would somehow magically bring Lanette down safely.

Then, he ran out of ground. His body launched over the edge, arms flailing through the air and wind rushing around him. That's when it clicked. A sudden thought – one that he considered simple at that moment, as crazy as it would have sounded if he wasn't free-falling from a three-story building. In preparation for that single plan, Bill's body began to glow with a golden aura. His mouth opened, and without thinking about it, he uttered two short words.

"Magnet Rise!"

Diddy

Renegade
YES. This.

I can safely say that this chapter more than makes up for all the dialogue and character development that lead up to what just happened.

The action was nicely paced and sensible, the drama was well done and believable. In short, it was probably one of your best chapters yet (even if it was a little short). Even then, the chapter did what it set out to achieve, so it isn't really a complaint, just a want for more AEM ;D

"I need to get to the roof," Bill replied, as if it was the simplest question in the world.

And from there?

"I haven't the faintest."

I'm not sure it's just a lack of knowledge on my end but I feel that there should be something at the end of this. Like 'I haven't the faintest idea' or 'I haven't the faintest clue'.

Perhaps if you would have said, 'I haven't the foggiest' it would have worked better in my English brain, but again, I may just have a lack of knowledge.

Here's hoping Bill will save the day and win the "not-hatred" of Lanette.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I can safely say that this chapter more than makes up for all the dialogue and character development that lead up to what just happened.

Thank you! And next chapter will have bunches of patches where I go back to a lot of that character development and dialogue. Because Adam is a fantastic bastard to write.

Even then, the chapter did what it set out to achieve, so it isn't really a complaint, just a want for more AEM ;D

Side note as a fun fact: it was originally going to be longer, but then I realized that if I extended it, you probably wouldn't be seeing a chapter until July. Seriously.

AAAAND in any case, I just wanted to be an utter jerk and leave you hanging about what Bill is going to be doing with Magnet Rise. ;D

But there will totally be more fight scenes in the next chapter, so hopefully, that'll make up for the fact that this one (and maybe the next one itself) are short.

I'm not sure it's just a lack of knowledge on my end but I feel that there should be something at the end of this. Like 'I haven't the faintest idea' or 'I haven't the faintest clue'.

Y'know, this is actually a bad habit of mine to say it that way. For whatever reason (I'm guessing the fact that I've been immensely tired lately), I've been writing character dialogue all over the place in this thing the way I would speak, rather than the way they would speak. As in, I don't know anyone else besides yours truly who says, "I haven't the faintest." And Bill, meanwhile, would probably say, "I haven't the foggiest" (especially since he's English -- or, well, "English"). So, yep, FANTASTIC JOB AT WRITING AND PROOFREADING DIALOGUE, JAX. HAVE A COOKIE.

Here's hoping Bill will save the day and win the "not-hatred" of Lanette.

Or at least not get himself killed, amirite?