• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Crossing Series

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Thing is CN doesn't really treat shows based on Nintendo properties very well (they were hardly interested in Pokemon in its later years on the network) and also, CBS All Access needs more original family programming to be a major streaming player.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Thing is CN doesn't really treat shows based on Nintendo properties very well (they were hardly interested in Pokemon in its later years on the network) and also, CBS All Access needs more original family programming to be a major streaming player.
Yeah but the thing is that unlike other properties which are rich in lore, story and characters, Animal Crossing is like an abstract sandbox where it has so much freedom you can bend the game's setting and characters to any direction and not break away much from the games, hence why I think Cartoon Network is perfect.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Any Residents you’re hoping got the boot since each game in the series tend to remove a few? I’m really hoping Goose, Wart Jr, Vladimir, Beardo, and Blanche are out. I’ve never liked them and did all I could to drive them out of my Town.

R_N

Any Residents you’re hoping got the boot since each game in the series tend to remove a few? I’m really hoping Goose, Wart Jr, Vladimir, Beardo, and Blanche are out. I’ve never liked them and did all I could to drive them out of my Town.
Villager cuts actually aren't that common. The last time there were cuts was, gosh, from the gamecube game to Wild World.
City Folk had all the Wild World animals. And New Leaf had everyone from City Folk with the sole exception of Champ, who was cut probably since he's secretly Porter (& I bet comes back as a villager in New Horizons). And Welcome Amiibo obviously brought more from the gamecube game to the fold (though iirc Filly remained exclusive to HHD).

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk (who knows what stuff goes in during development) but I could honestly see NH having everyone from NLWA back. Especially since all the amiibo are supported.

That said if characters did get cut...I suppose it'd be the tie-ins. Just for negotiation reasons, perhaps tha took a little more time & money than worth while for base game. The 6 Hello Kitty inspired villagers (though, notably, these did come to Pocket Camp), Filly the 7/11 Horse, and those Zelda villagers.

Well, Pocket Camp doesn't have everyone but Pocket Camp is kind of its own thing following usual mobile model stuff. It'll probably get everyone eventually provided it isn't shut down at some point. But FWIW Happy Home Designer had everyone from NL and I think by extension Amiibo Festival had everyone albeit they only showed up in mini games and stuff.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That said if characters did get cut...I suppose it'd be the tie-ins. Just for negotiation reasons, perhaps tha took a little more time & money than worth while for base game. The 6 Hello Kitty inspired villagers (though, notably, these did come to Pocket Camp), Filly the 7/11 Horse, and those Zelda villagers.

I do hope that the third party villagers (Hello Kitty, 7/11, and Monster Hunter) are cut, but I wouldn't mind them keeping the Zelda (and I suppose by extension the Splatoon) villagers. I absolutely do not villagers who feel like a walking, talking billboard in my town, but characters from other Nintendo series is an amusing concept, assuming they're relatively rare. Might be cool to bring in some other Nintendo franchises. What comes to mind as good candidates is Pokémon, Donkey Kong, and Star Fox.

Other than that, there really aren't any villagers who I dislike enough to wish them cut. Sure, there are some that I'd rather not get in my town, but I still don't think that's reason enough to wish for cut content.

R_N

Just occured to me we'll probably get Pearl & Marina themed villagers out of New Horizons. tiny squirrel Pearl and large octopus Marina

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
And New Leaf had everyone from City Folk with the sole exception of Champ, who was cut probably since he's secretly Porter (& I bet comes back as a villager in New Horizons).
Champ and Porter have different birthdays though.

Amiibo have been confirmed, and the file size is 6.2 GB.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Champ and Porter have different birthdays though.

My guess is that he's not actually Porter, but was cut because he looked similar enough to cause confusion.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That's good to here. Wish Game Freak would do that with the main Pokemon games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Huh. That's not something I would not have expected. I'm one of the people who fully supported Nintendo's decision to not allow cloud saves in order to curb cheating, so I hope this will get people to stop complaining about that.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Huh. That's not something I would not have expected. I'm one of the people who fully supported Nintendo's decision to not allow cloud saves in order to curb cheating, so I hope this will get people to stop complaining about that.
I'm glad they did, since things do happen, like Switches breaking down. It's good that they realize that this kind of thing happens.

They got another person interested in getting the game. I'd be far less likely to get it without backup saves.

R_N

THat's...nice, I guess but it's still just like

just let me have normal cloud saves? You're already half way there (or will be ,once this is implemented)

Their decision to do this to curb cheating is shortsighted. Every single game where they do this, for this reason in particular, still has rampant cheating. Al lthsi does is screw over the people who don't cheat. Cheaters are also the ones able to freely back up their saves anyway! It's like DRM, you're not actually doing anything to curb piracy, people are going to crack the DRM and people who DONT pirate are probably going to mod to get rid of it because it's often intrusive and affects game performance.

I think the only reason they're doing this is because AC goes above & beyond their usual nonsense by locking your save file to the switch. As in, you cannot transfer your information to another switch, at all, ever. Fairly sure even pokemon and splatoon let you do that. It was probably bad optics to have that AND ALSO 0 way to compensate people who lose their switch.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They got another person interested in getting the game. I'd be far less likely to get it without backup saves.

Honest question, would you not have bought New Leaf or City Folk? They didn't feature any ability to back up save data either. What's the difference between not having back up storage for New Horizons versus New Leaf?

Their decision to do this to curb cheating is shortsighted. Every single game where they do this, for this reason in particular, still has rampant cheating. Al lthsi does is screw over the people who don't cheat. Cheaters are also the ones able to freely back up their saves anyway! It's like DRM, you're not actually doing anything to curb piracy, people are going to crack the DRM and people who DONT pirate are probably going to mod to get rid of it because it's often intrusive and affects game performance.

The difference is that if regular cloud saves were available than anyone and everyone could easily manipulate the system and cheat. It would be plain sloppy and a negligence of duty to allow such a ridiculously easy and obvious exploit available for use. Yes, it's still possible to perform similar cheats, but now it's only possible for the most dedicated of cheaters with knowledge of how hacking and related technology works, which is much more preferable than any ten year old elementary student who reads the internet being able to do it.

R_N

The difference is that if regular cloud saves were available than anyone and everyone could easily manipulate the system and cheat. It would be plain sloppy and a negligence of duty to allow such a ridiculously easy and obvious exploit available for use. Yes, it's still possible to perform similar cheats, but now it's only possible for the most dedicated of cheaters with knowledge of how hacking and related technology works, which is much more preferable than any ten year old elementary student who reads the internet being able to do it.
Who cares, though. Like how many people do you think are going to abuse the cloud exploit, it involves a lot of micromanaging of the save data to even do it and to properly take advantage of it you need to rope in other people. In AC's case in particular, Time Travel is significantly more obvious, easier and is approximately as cheaty in the long term. And Pokemon's method of cheating has been around so long it's probably even easier to set up than standard hacking would be.
And then what about something like Splatoon? They store ranking data server side since you can view that outside of the game. So now you're just screwing over everyone for something that should be more than possible to track and autocorrect upon connecting to the internet; meanwhile actual cheaters can just do things with reckless abandon.

MEANWHILE Smash Bros, Mario Kart & Mario Tennis have a ranking system and cloud saves and no one cares.

And, frankly, hacking your switch is really not that hard. You need to google a guide and a SD card, last I saw you didn't even need specific software bought to enable it. It's why hacking is as rampant as it is, though not as much as on Wii.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Who cares, though. Like how many people do you think are going to abuse the cloud exploit, it involves a lot of micromanaging of the save data to even do it and to properly take advantage of it you need to rope in other people.

But it's still there, available as an option. Leaving it there and available to exploit is no different from leaving an exploitable glitch out in the open. Just because not everyone will exploit it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

In AC's case in particular, Time Travel is significantly more obvious, easier and is approximately as cheaty in the long term.

To be fair, if it were possible to make time travel impossible, I'm sure they would. I'd certainly support any such attempt.

And Pokemon's method of cheating has been around so long it's probably even easier to set up than standard hacking would be.

What is it you're referring to here?

And then what about something like Splatoon? They store ranking data server side since you can view that outside of the game. So now you're just screwing over everyone for something that should be more than possible to track and autocorrect upon connecting to the internet; meanwhile actual cheaters can just do things with reckless abandon.

MEANWHILE Smash Bros, Mario Kart & Mario Tennis have a ranking system and cloud saves and no one cares.

Don't play or know anything about Splatoon, so I can't really speak on the topic But I'll admit that judging purely by the way you describe it, that does sound like a rather arbitrary choice, but that's only in the context of Splatoon, not Animal Crossing (or Pokémon).

And, frankly, hacking your switch is really not that hard. You need to google a guide and a SD card, last I saw you didn't even need specific software bought to enable it. It's why hacking is as rampant as it is, though not as much as on Wii.

Maybe it's not hard, but it's not something that anyone and everyone can do. There's also the moral component to consider. I would suggest that most people would never consider installing hacking software, as it crosses a clear moral line. Exploiting your game with cloud saves isn't as clear of a line, and many more people would justify it as being alright, since they're just using the tools Nintendo provided them with.

There's also the fact that hacking is inevitable. People are going to do it no matter what Nintendo does. But just because that's the case, doesn't mean Nintendo should try any less to cut down on the number of possible exploits.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I haven’t played an AC game so I’m really looking forward to NH. It’s weird seeing people get excited over things like stairs being in the game though lol

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Honest question, would you not have bought New Leaf or City Folk? They didn't feature any ability to back up save data either. What's the difference between not having back up storage for New Horizons versus New Leaf?

You can play your game on another system. So using that as an excuse is not going to fly. The save is tied to the disc and cartridge and not to the system. It's far more expensive to buy a new system then a game or even to get a second Switch. It's too bad other games like Splatoon aren't going with what Animal Crossing is doing since not every one has friends nearby with a Switch to trade their profile to or a backup Switch to do that with on their own.

Last edited: