1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Animal Crossing Series

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Eternalserenity, Jun 22, 2012.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

Just a heads up, this isn't every person's game. This is a more relaxing life simulation game with fishing, fossil-finding, house-decorating, requiring some hours of your time to accomplish certain tasks rather than trying to play it in one full sitting, actually come to think of it. Has anyone speedrun Animal Crossing? Now I have to look it up later. However, if you played one, you played them all so if you give this a try, you can pretty much decide whether or not you want to buy future entries or not.

2. Ignition

Ignition “Go get ‘em, tiger!”

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve always liked games where you have to manage something like a restaurant or home so this seems to be up my alley

3. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

But City Folk's save data was tied to the Wii, not the disc, so this really isn't any different. And honestly, I'd argue that something's more likely to happen to a tiny game cartridge than a game system, especially when you're going to do everything you can to take care of the expensive system. I personally feel safer having my save data locked to my system than locked to a cartridge.

4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

My biggest problem with this is that if I wanted to upgrade my Switch for a possible "Switch Pro", then I would be out of luck I couldn't transfer my data clean over.

5. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Maybe there, but it doesn't make it right. To be honest, the Wii is more stable than the Switch. Haven't had to send that in for repair like I had with my Switch, so their was less I had to worry about there. Took good care of both, my Wii is over 7 years old, my Switch is around a year old and it had to get its motherboard replaced. The latter was defective and that's why having some kind of backup couldn't hurt. I'm the reverse, rather have it tied to the cartridge, since the system costs more to repair /replace.

6. Auraninja

That's honestly a singled-out incident.

I had to get my Wii repaired because it couldn't play Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which wasn't an uncommon problem), and I had to get my Wii U repaired sometime after Smash Wii U came out because of disc read error.

The only thing about the Switch that I need to repair is the joy-cons which is a common problem among owners. Unless you have a Switch Lite, you don't have to send in your unit, and even then, the unit itself is likely fine.

Bguy7 likes this.
  7. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Auraninja summed up my response to this. You just got unlucky, it doesn't speak towards the system stability.

Of course. It never hurts to have a back-up. I'm not trying to say back-up save data is a bad thing, I'm just asking if it should be a deal-breaker.

The system costing more is a reason to rather lose/break the cartridge, but it doesn't really have much bearing on which one's better to keep your data on. Being more expensive to replace a console have anything to do with losing save data.

8. shoz999

Animal Crossing Direct announced for the 20th. Come see the direct, don't be late or I'll eat your dog's favorite chew toy!

9. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

it's been 3000 years.............

shoz999 likes this.
  10. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Oh thank god. I need more Animal Crossing information, and I need it yesterday.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some "later game" footage. Up until now, everything we've seen has been focusing around the early phases of building your island. I really want to see what stuff is like once we get into the more traditional aspects of Animal Crossing.

EDIT: And it's 6 am Pacific time... Of course it is... Following the Pokémon Direct and the Smash Bros stream for Byleth, that makes three in a row. This is getting irksome. I would love to watch this live, but there's no way I'm getting up so early. This never used to be such an issue.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  11. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

So utterly wonderful. I thought I couldn't possibly be more excited for this game, but I am. This next month is going to be absolute torture. Simply any Animal Crossing on Switch would get me stoked, but this is going above and beyond. Everything looks grand and beautiful. Absolutely can't wait.

Honestly, I think what might have made me most happy was when they showed the various possible town layouts. I love town layouts with unique and quirky features. In City Folk my town had an island formed by a fork in the river, and in New Leaf it had an small "secret" beach that could only be accessed by swimming. I love that kind of stuff, and it looks like New Horizon has even more quirky layouts.

Two question though. What is the point. besides giving Resetti a new job, of the Rescue Service? Let's be real, even you somehow managed to get lost in your own town, the place is so small that it would literally be impossible not to find your way back just by stumbling around. There must be something else at play here.

And then there's the free updates. Why in the world are they putting holidays in via updates, instead of just putting them in the base game? Seems rather pointless to me. I suppose it's a way to curb time travelling (and I fully support getting rid of time travelling), but it's only going to do so for the first year, so in the long run, doesn't really help all that much.

I'm certain this is an unpopular opinion, but the one minor complaint I have is the degree of control you have over your town with where neighbors move in and customizing even the rivers and cliffs. I enjoy living in the world of Animal Crossing, not being its god. I've never understood the need people have to control every aspect of their town. For me, it's fun seeing your town takes its own life around you.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I’m guessing the holidays being put into the games through updates is so that Nintendo can release the game worldwide faster without any delays and adjust the things involved with certain holidays to reflect different parts of the world. For example Japan has all sorts of special foods and gifts sold in stores around New Years Day while the US just has party favors and bubbly drinks to welcome the new year. In India, people throw this red powder onto each other while wearing white clothes to celebrate the same holiday.

13. Auraninja

There may be a point where you get stuck on a piece of the island with a place of no return.
    It could just be a feature for younger players (or you're really lazy or what to see the dialogue.)

I got the impression that they may change the holidays up each year.

14. shoz999

I like how the theme of this game is literally the world is your oyster. So many brand-new possibilities and have you guys seen how massive and charming the Museum looks! Just gorgeous!

15. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

Same here. And them being aware that there are circumstances where people could lose save data and to provide people with a kind of back up. All of that is a plus for me and I hope to get the game when I can.

shoz999 likes this.
  16. Dragalge

Dragalge Leaked footage

Good luck since you can only recover your save data once.

17. WishIhadaManafi5

Where did you hear that? They didn't mention it during the direct.

18. shoz999

19. WishIhadaManafi5

shoz999 likes this.
  20. shoz999

I already have an idea of the type of town I want to make. Wonder if it's possible though as I don't see any brick walls. The grey kind.