• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Crossing Series

R_N

I'm stunned. I kind kind of get leaving out more minor characters that where explicitly replaced, like Chip and Nat, or some of the newer/less valuable characters like Reese and Cyrus or Harriet, but leaving out big characters like Kapp'n and Brewster is bizarre. And Redd, I would argue, is just as big a character as K.K., Blathers, or the Able Sisters. I am absolutely shocked that, at the very least, he's not in the game. I didn't think it was possible for this game to disappoint me in such a major way. This is beyond belief.

Okay, sure, there's always the possibility of them being patched in later, but we can't assume that. And really, leaving out so much from the base game to be patched in later is just absurd. Little new extras here and there is one thing. Major characters and/or features that are staples of the franchise is a completely other thing.
charitably, development was probably slow going for one reason or another, they already had to delay the game once and probably trhought that delaying the game again wouldn't be feasible. Wouldn't explain EVERYTHING but if you're going to support seasonl updates anyway, well, probably helps clear out development to focus on other things.

But oops now we're in a global pandemic so who knows how much this game's plans get affected

R_N

I find it funny all these spoilers are only about something as meager as furniture.
There's more to it than that in the grandscheme
Lack of special NPCs also corresponds with lack of like...other...things.
No Katrina? No fortune telling
No Luna? No dream suite to visit other people's uploaded islands
No Redd? No black market
No Brewster? No cafe
No Tortimer, Kapp'n and extended family means there's no minigames to do (side note: there are, indeed, no other minigames)

And so on, even before accounting for the NPCs gone as well as their associated items &/or upgrades (ie: No Gracie = No GracieGrace, none of the 5 sets of Gracie items)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
charitably, development was probably slow going for one reason or another, they already had to delay the game once and probably trhought that delaying the game again wouldn't be feasible. Wouldn't explain EVERYTHING but if you're going to support seasonl updates anyway, well, probably helps clear out development to focus on other things.

But oops now we're in a global pandemic so who knows how much this game's plans get affected

I just hope that that really was the case, and they're not doing this purely as a way to artificially add longevity to the game. That's annoying enough for most games, but if there's one game that doesn't need an artificial increase in longevity, it's definitely Animal Crossing.

Still can't help but question how some of this stuff fell off though. For example, with Brewster, all they really needed to add was the character and the unlockable Roost. Nothing else. Sure, other stuff, like working at the Roost, would be nice, but it's not necessary for Brewster and the Roost to be in the game. Or with Redd, it's not like they need the art for Redd to have purpose. Just randomly assign some of the already created furniture to be exclusive to his shop, problem solved. I just can't see a reason why stuff like that wouldn't happen, when they would take such little time to implement. Yeah, I know there are priorities in making a game, but it just feels like a little too much stuff got left behind.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I plan on buying it digitally... and already people have a physical copy in their hands and showing off in-game footage. Ah, the wait is short and yet feels too long lol!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

R_N

Huh? What in the world is this?
I know the answer is going to be "i have never heard of doom eternal &/or seen any fanart" but

Doom Eternal & Animal Crossing New Horizons launch on the same day (well gamestop is releasing Doom Eternal a day early). They are completely opposite in just about everything, so that resulted in a lot of artwork of Isabelle & Doom Guy interacting with each other or swapping games or whatever.

R_N

Nintendo detailed the stuff in the update:
-First off, you get a present! It's a Switch item. If you have the special edition joycons on the switch, you will get the Special Edition Animal Crossing Switch item instead. Both will be available in the Nook shop later on, so you're not permanently out of luck or anything
-The NookLine App part of the nintendo online app is enabled. You'll be able to import patterns from older games and use the messaging app and so forth.
-If you're a NSO subscriber, you'll be able to buy a Nook-themed floor mat with Nook miles. You can reorder it if you want, too.
-The Pocket Camp collaboration items are added and you'll be able to get them at a later date.
-Bunny Day is a big change:
  • It takes place between April 1 & April 12th! So you basically have 2 weeks to get everything, if I'm understanding this right
  • You cannot time travel to it early because....
  • On or after April 1st you must connect with your Nintendo Account to the online servers to activate the holiday (even though it's all right there in the update).
Thankfully the online connection won't require NSO to do.

I feel like....they're turning holidays into splatfests. Which I hope means that once the game's updates have run its course they do the smart thing and just leave them unlocked at all times because the idea that yaers down the line you'd only be able to access the events by hacking is pretty lame.

As an aside I suppose this confirms April Fools is totally gone. I'm hoping that's just for this year, since it'd be a little awkward to have an event based around going to all your villagers at a point where you've barely had the game for 10 days. It was a really fun, low-key holiday and it'd be a shame ot never do it again.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

This is nice and all, but I'd prefer Doom Guy in Smash. But yeah, it's because both games come out on the same day.

That said, I've got physical copies pre-ordered already. So I'm good to go when it comes to Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal. The reason I'm going with physical is because I'm trying to make the 32GB last as long as possible. It actually stretches deceptively well, as long as you're careful with what you buy and how you buy it.

But Animal Crossing and Doom Eternal will hold me over until the next game on my list comes out.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And now the hilarious sight of people buying either one on the same day has been ruined due to COVID-19, as GameStop will be selling Doom Eternal a day earlier than NH as to avoid larger gatherings of people on the same day.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Yeah my Gamestop called me around the evening to tell me that NH is being solely on Friday. With Doom being today only (Thursday).

Looks like I'm going to get the game later that day. To avoid gatherings that may happen in the morning.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I know the answer is going to be "i have never heard of doom eternal &/or seen any fanart" but

Ho ho! That's where you're wrong! I have heard of Doom! (But I haven't seen any fan art...)

Doom Eternal & Animal Crossing New Horizons launch on the same day (well gamestop is releasing Doom Eternal a day early). They are completely opposite in just about everything, so that resulted in a lot of artwork of Isabelle & Doom Guy interacting with each other or swapping games or whatever.

Okay, I didn't know they were releasing on the same day, so I had no idea what the two had to do with each other.

-Bunny Day is a big change:
  • It takes place between April 1 & April 12th! So you basically have 2 weeks to get everything, if I'm understanding this right
  • You cannot time travel to it early because....
  • On or after April 1st you must connect with your Nintendo Account to the online servers to activate the holiday (even though it's all right there in the update).
Thankfully the online connection won't require NSO to do.

I feel like....they're turning holidays into splatfests. Which I hope means that once the game's updates have run its course they do the smart thing and just leave them unlocked at all times because the idea that yaers down the line you'd only be able to access the events by hacking is pretty lame.

Well that's... interesting...

Basically, they're turning holidays into the events held in online and mobile games. On one hand, that means you'll be enjoying the changes brought by the holiday for a longer period of time, on the other, a longer period of time may also make for a more diluted experience. Also, not really sure I like the idea of Animal Crossing trying to emulate online and mobile games. One thing I do hope is that there's some sort of special stage of the event that takes place on the actual day of the holiday, that way the day itself still has meaning (hopefully exclusive items/events, but at the very least the holiday-exclusive music, as I assume they won't be playing those 24/7 during the two week period). Though, speaking of the actual day, another positive is that this means I won't be missing Turkey Day as I most often have in the past. That was always the most inconvenient of the holidays for me to play the night of.

As awkward of a process as it sounds, I do approve of the online connection part though. Any measure to make time travel less worth it is okay in my book.

Last edited:

R_N

Some more positive news on the dataminefront, at least. This was in the base game code, not the patch for the recrods
Seems like a big Museum update/updates is planned. There are placeholder entry pathways in the Museum for:
-An Art section
-A new Gyroid section
-A cafe

And by extension that would confirm Artwork, Gyroids and Brewster making a return. Since this was in the base game left overs, that probably means they'll come sooner than later. And if artwork comes back, likely means that Redd will too since that's been his primary deal in the series.
There's also reference to the gift shop, but I don't know if that's already in the game or not.

Meanwhile on the Diving front, there's references to the separate "seafood" list diving uses. No fish listed out but pointers to the menu and its 32 (2 more than New Leaf) Dictionary listings. I've also heard the swimming animation is already in the game.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Some more positive news on the dataminefront, at least. This was in the base game code, not the patch for the recrods
Seems like a big Museum update/updates is planned. There are placeholder entry pathways in the Museum for:
-An Art section
-A new Gyroid section
-A cafe

And by extension that would confirm Artwork, Gyroids and Brewster making a return. Since this was in the base game left overs, that probably means they'll come sooner than later. And if artwork comes back, likely means that Redd will too since that's been his primary deal in the series.
There's also reference to the gift shop, but I don't know if that's already in the game or not.

Meanwhile on the Diving front, there's references to the separate "seafood" list diving uses. No fish listed out but pointers to the menu and its 32 (2 more than New Leaf) Dictionary listings. I've also heard the swimming animation is already in the game.

That sounds promising, but I'm not going to assume anything until announced. What I will say though, is that I very much like the idea of a Gyroid section at the museum. I've always thought they should do that, and it would actually give a me a reason to try to collect them all.

R_N

That sounds promising, but I'm not going to assume anything until announced. What I will say though, is that I very much like the idea of a Gyroid section at the museum. I've always thought they should do that, and it would actually give a me a reason to try to collect them all.
I kind of wonder if they had planend to do it back in City Folk. It was fairly odd how Brewster had Gyroid-specific storage and only allowed 1 of each type to be stored.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I kind of wonder if they had planend to do it back in City Folk. It was fairly odd how Brewster had Gyroid-specific storage and only allowed 1 of each type to be stored.

I've never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Thank heaven Gamestop is releasing NH a day early! As much the negative news Gamestop is getting right now. I'm blessed I managed to get the game early than intended.