• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Crossing Series

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I've played ACNH for over 145 hours. Love it, but I've played Pokemon Shield more. Over 1,790 hours. Mainly item collecting, shiny hunting and sometimes raiding.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I still play it everyday. Though I no longer dig up fossils nor money bells.

I just talk to my villagers, see who's the daily NPC visitor, and see what's on sale for Nook's Cranny and Able Shop.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I bury 10000 Bells whenever I see glowing spots just to try in vain to pay off my house upgrade.

Torpoleon

I still play it everyday. Though I no longer dig up fossils nor money bells.

I just talk to my villagers, see who's the daily NPC visitor, and see what's on sale for Nook's Cranny and Able Shop.
Yeah, same here. So basically on a typical day these days, I play for at least 15 minutes a day (usually closer to a half an hour). Obviously, it could be more depending on what's going on during the day.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I open the game up mostly to get the daily Nook Miles and buy any KK Slider songs that I don't have

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I plan on buying the Sanrio Amiibo cards this Friday and grabbing the Banjo Kazooie Amiibo before it becomes hard to find which I’m sure will happen because Banjo is such a popular character and doesn’t get much merchandise. I’m purging my Island of Residents I don’t mind losing and am only keeping Kabuki, Miranda, Boomer, And Sprocket. They are my personal favorites of the Residents that I currently have. I’m sad to let Olaf and Lyman go but I need those Sanrio Residents!

Torpoleon

Is there anyone here still playing daily? I've played every day since the game came out and plan to continue doing so for at least the next year. Not sure of any game that I have played every day for over a year (as I stated previously, it isn't too eventful these days, but still).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I play at least ten minutes everyday to rack up Nook Miles and see if Redd is on my Island.

Torpoleon

I play at least ten minutes everyday to rack up Nook Miles and see if Redd is on my Island.
Is there anything specifically you are looking for from Redd? When I get Redd on my island, I can see if he has anything you need.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
An authentic Famous Painting. Every time Redd comes to visit, he always seems to have the fake. This happened at least five times in a row now.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I longer no play on Sundays. Since nothing's happening in that day other than turnips. I'm playing on Saturdays to complete the K.K. Mania nook miles stamp (just listening at K.K.'s singing and save).

So it is Monday-Saturday for me.

Litleonid

I feel like this game needs a huge update soon. They've said they had 2-3 years of updates planned, but I really hope there's updates that add a significant amount of content. There's 4 things this game truly needs in these updates.
  • New furniture: There's a lot of missing furniture sets not present in the game from New Leaf and Pocket Camp tends to get a substantial amount of exciting new sets. New Horizons needs it too.
  • Villager improvements: The villagers NEED more dialog and such. They repeat the same 5 things over and over it feels while past games had far more interesting dialog. The game needs better villager dialog. We also need more villager favors and house visits.
  • Tortimer Island: The game needs it. This is the perfect way to bring back Kapp'n and his family. Give us the option to buy a ticket for nook miles to go to the island where rare bugs and fish spawn. Give us a shop run by Kapp'n's family full of tropical beach themed items. Bring back the island tour mini games. Online play needs more activities to do and it was perfect in New Leaf.
  • The Roost: The most heavily requested thing. There is supposedly an extra room coded into the museum, so let's put the cafe there. Give us the opportunity to work there again and even use it as a way to bring back NPC's like Harriet, Pelly, Pete, Phyllis, Wendell, Lyle, Dr. Shrunk, and all the others. Let us learn more about these NPC's. Have something happen like Chip come in and start talking about his son CJ while we enjoy a cup of coffee with him.

R_N

I've said it before but it is just...absurd, to me, how they decided to handle dialog in this game.

There is a fair amount of dialog. In addition to all the context-sensitive dialog, there's more general purpose dialog.
The problem is:
-the first time you talk to a villager outside will always be a greeting. These are like one text box in length and are often maybe a sentence; you see these every day and there are far fewer greetings
-the second tiem you talk to them, then brings up....context dialog about 90% of the time. Specifically pertaining to what YOU do. And all the villagers will do this; I once had like 4 villagers talk abotu how I was hitting rocks. This is annoying for a few reasons; it always feels a little judgey and there's too many things they can talk about. and, again, not many variations per type
-so you talk to them a THIRD time and maybe NOW you can roll for it or you hit the other context sensitive options instead. I find in houses I get a lot of talk about their furniture, which can at least be flavorful

Also to be frank the game doesnt seem to WANT you to talk to villagers multiple times. If you talk to them more than once all their attitudes make it sound like you've talked to them a billion times that day and not, you know, THE SECOND TIME sometimes hours apart. It sucks.

And all this combines with, you're not getting anywhere near as many errands as before, instead having to rely on the (fleeting) thought bubbles which can just as often be a buy/sell/move bubble than a "do me a favor" bubble.

Litleonid

Honestly, this game's dialog is worse than City Folk and City Folk's dialog was lackluster. Its even more frustrating because New Leaf had some decent dialog between you and your villagers. Dialog is definitely the weakest aspect of this game, and like, I hardly feel compelled to talk to my villagers because they have little to say and rarely give me tasks to do.

Xuxuba

Yeah, the dialogue in this game is not exactly the greatest...
It's actually even worse if you have more than one character in your island, because they will repeat the same dialogue about that other character over and over again, every single day. At this point, i don't even feel like interacting with my villagers anymore...

I know they tried to focus on decorating the outdoors this time around, but i feel like the dialogue used to be such a strong point of the series... not only that but also the soundtrack, stores and minigames too, which felt kind of overlooked in this game.

I was rather hopeful they would try to improve some of these things , but now i realize the updates are there mainly to add more event/seasonal furniture and every once in a while add a few features from NL that also have to do with decorating and showing off your decorated island.

That said, i am glad they aren't overworking their developers as much as they did back in NL, which is one of the main reasons why NL had way more content and dialogue at launch than NH. But i do wish they didn't focus so much on just one thing as doing the same thing over and over again gets tiring and AC is a game that is supposed to be played for a really long time, that is why so many things in this game are only unlocked with time and why i still play New Leaf up to this day aswell.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I think the dialogue that is written is fine. Some of it is actually hilarious even after the first time personally. They just need a ton more of it.

That said, can we have an option to skip Gulliver's bubbles of text? And ditto on having to get lucky to do requests via the bubble stuff/villagers chasing after you like freaks.

R_N

That said, i am glad they aren't overworking their developers as much as they did back in NL, which is one of the main reasons why NL had way more content and dialogue at launch than NH. But i do wish they didn't focus so much on just one thing as doing the same thing over and over again gets tiring and AC is a game that is supposed to be played for a really long time, that is why so many things in this game are only unlocked with time and why i still play New Leaf up to this day aswell.
I'll just say it's probably likely the NL developers weren't any more "overworked" than they were (or weren't) for this title.

Different consoles to develop on, different tools to work with, different levels of experience and complicatiosn arise, systems to implement or REimplement, new design work, redesign work etc there's a lot of factors in play.
My charitable read of New Horizons compared to New Leaf is that NH requires more ground work than NL did, due to being on a HD system combined with a want to shake the formula up a little more, but unfortunately that ran up against time constraints. The game already had to publically be delayed several months and its possible there were more internal delays involved.

That said.... I'm always wondering how much of the "post launch" content was either:
-newly created
-couldn't be implemented in time, so it was left to be added as complete
-stuff already finished but purposely held back so they could make it an update.
Personally I'd say it's mostly category 3 followed by 2 and then 1 is very small. If it weren't for Covid, perhaps we'd have seen a bigger push of new significant content in the post launch release but the other stuff has me giving out sideeyes

But regardless I do think development "issues" were probably more to blame for any disparity than NL being so much because of overwork.

Xuxuba

I'll just say it's probably likely the NL developers weren't any more "overworked" than they were (or weren't) for this title.
It wasn't me who said it, i was referring to the interview where they said they tried to not overwork the staff this time around and estabilish a limit to how much they would work, which was very different from how they approached things before. I remember Aya Kyogoku talking about NL's development before and believe me it was *tough*, just the script itself was reported to have 1,092,240 words, which is more than King James' bible and the 7 Harry Potter books combined.

Alongside with including more women in the development team, not overworking the developers was one of the things they were adamant about in NH's development. That is why the game took a bit longer to develop and had to be delayed aswell. I believe they said their goal was to bring smiles to people’s faces and that included their own workers aswell.

But regardless I do think development "issues" were probably more to blame for any disparity than NL being so much because of overwork
That wasn't what i said though. I said the disparity was due to them focusing too much on a single thing (decorating), while NL had their attention scattered through multiple activities, which works better for games that you are supposed to play for a longer time.
Them actively trying to not overwork their team is an amazing thing itself and i wanted to praise that, but personally i think they could have distributed the amount of focus they gave to each aspect of the series a bit better.

Last edited:
Reactions: R_N