• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Crossing Series

Kiyuni

Prince of Heart
I'm so close to finishing my fish encyclopedia, I just need a gar and some fish from next month. Exciting stuff.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
looking for mott, snake, beau, and/or certain horse/gator/rhino villager

Kiyuni

Prince of Heart
Wow I clicked back a few pages and I can't believe I missed a chance to get Lobo. Favorite villager right there, I was so happy to see him in the MK8 DLC track

edit: Henry is camping today! He was my best friend in my old ACNL town so hey time to get him to move in again

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I have extra legit paintings. Would love to have an art auction.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists

If I weren't broke and too lazy atm to grind bugs on the island, I'd participate. Perhaps if I get my *** in gear.

Also, I'm surprised no one is talking much about the spinoffs. HHD actually looks fun, can't wait until September. And I hope we'll see similar features in a prospective AC Wii U.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So what do people think about the spin offs? I'm not really interested in either of them. I like to design my house, but a game where all you can do is design houses does not seem fun to me, especially when I have to design them the way other people want, instead of to my own tastes. The other one looks a little more interesting to me, but not by much. I like Mario Party, so I guess I would like this, I just don't understand why we need something like that. If I could get it for $20 or less, I would, but we all know that's not going to happen, and I don't feel like paying $60 for it.

In all honesty, Animal Crossing seems like one of the last games you would make a spin off for, and yet now we're getting two.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Haven't actually touched New Leaf regularly ever since XY dropped but any community based project/event would be cool. That's all on you guys though, I don't play this game enough anymore.

As for the the spin-off games, I'll say it is odd to think Animal Crossing is getting spin-off games of all things. Personally not interested in either but it definitely seems like "Animal Crossing Party" has gotten an overblown reaction from the fanbase, if the official trailer on Youtube is anything to go off of. It's not an Animal Crossing Wii U, and Mario Party type games tend to not interest people these days but the like/dislike ratio on that trailer just comes off as petty to me. People really need to take a step back and calm down from the Digital Event it seems.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
If I weren't broke and too lazy atm to grind bugs on the island, I'd participate. Perhaps if I get my *** in gear.

Also, I'm surprised no one is talking much about the spinoffs. HHD actually looks fun, can't wait until September. And I hope we'll see similar features in a prospective AC Wii U.
Sadly at this point, all prices would be starting point...I'm just not sure how much that is. I just thought it could be fun and profitable to hold an art auction since I have extras that I already have in my museum.

Also, in terms of the spin-offs...

HHD does not hold my interest. I want to design my own house not others. However, if there's a way to link it with NL so you can fix up neighbors houses, that would be great...but I don't think that'll happen. It's like the game is going backwards and seems more like it'd be some sort of app. And Animal Crossing Party looks like a boring Mario Party. Need more for them to hold my attention.

Is there still a chance they'll bring up news on new Pokémon stuff or was that it for E3 Nintendo?

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Happy Home Designer looks ok. It really feels to me that it would be more suited as an eShop game rather than a fully-fledged physical game release - £5-10 sounds reasonable, but anything over 20 sounds a bit much, assuming that there literally isn't anything more to it than decorating homes. Not too excited about Amiibo Festival as it looks like Mario Party but without the element of ruthless competitiveness which made the previous instalments so much fun to play.

All in all, I'm a little worried that the amount of spin-offs is indicating that we might be waiting a long while for the next main instalment. Even though the series definitely feels more at home on handhelds and it's difficult to think how they can top New Leaf, of course I want to see an AC Wii U title. Who doesn't? And all we're getting instead are weird spin-offs. Boo.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I ike New Leaf, but there are some things I wish it had. So I'm not looking for a new element brought to the game to top New Leaf, but rather I want to have easier control on telling where villagers can live, I want to be able to do something about rock placements...I would like HHD to be a feature in the main games. I wouldn't mind helping decorate my illagers houses (hoping we can choose their layour completely and not just follow their instructions).

Also...

looking for Mott, Snake, Beau, and/or a horse villager

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Even though the series definitely feels more at home on handhelds .

Do you really think that? I've always felt like Animal Crossing is more at home on consoles. I like being able to spread out on a couch, not having to hunch over a handheld, and enjoy the glory of Animal Crossing on a large screen.

If they aren't announcing a new Animal Crossing this year, that probably means they're going to wait for the NX. I hope that means it's a launch title, so we don't have to wait that much longer. It might help the NX's sales as well.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Do you really think that? I've always felt like Animal Crossing is more at home on consoles. I like being able to spread out on a couch, not having to hunch over a handheld, and enjoy the glory of Animal Crossing on a large screen.

Personal preference I guess, as I highly enjoyed playing WW and NL, but when I eventually got round to CF, it was a real disappointment and I lost interest in it pretty quickly. I haven't played the GC title, but I suppose by now I'm used to the portability aspect and playing it in bed late into the night, catching fish and bugs and whatnot. "Glory" is a bit of an odd word to describe it, though. It's hardly a game which needs a lot of graphical punch behind it, so the quaintness and twee nature of the series is something which I'd much prefer to see on handhelds.

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
Since I've been playing my 3DS more frequently lately I've had some thoughts about returning to my town in New Leaf, but I haven't played since January 1, 2014, and I was wondering what stuff was released since then up to now that was given out via Nintendo Zone and over wifi from the post office. I know the Zodiac furniture was still unreleased back then but it might of come out since then?

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Legit paintings I have for art auction...

Amazing, Graceful, and Moody

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Personal preference I guess, as I highly enjoyed playing WW and NL, but when I eventually got round to CF, it was a real disappointment and I lost interest in it pretty quickly. I haven't played the GC title, but I suppose by now I'm used to the portability aspect and playing it in bed late into the night, catching fish and bugs and whatnot. "Glory" is a bit of an odd word to describe it, though. It's hardly a game which needs a lot of graphical punch behind it, so the quaintness and twee nature of the series is something which I'd much prefer to see on handhelds.

Yeah, I guess it does come down to personal preference. I've been playing Animal Crossing since Wild World. Personally, despite all the new features in New Life, I found the experience of playing City Folk to much more enjoyable than Wild World or New Leaf, and of course with a game like Animal Crossing, the experience is everything. Maybe glory was an odd word choice, and your right, Animal Crossing doesn't need good graphics (though an HD Animal Crossing would be amazing), but I feel like it really is the big screen that adds a lot to that experience I was talking about. Of course, that's just me, I had just never considered the fact before that people would prefer the handhelds, so your statement surprised me.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Legit paintings I have for art auction...

Amazing x2, Graceful, Moody, and Neutral.

Also looking for Mott, Snake, Beau, a a horse villager.

MooseSmuggler

#DeathToFascists
I dunno if anyone wants him, but Cesar is leaving Kirkwall on the 26th. I'll give him up for Rococco furniture or Bells. If you don't have anything to offer, feel free to ask anyway. I guess it's a sort of auction?

R_N

Happy Home Designer looks ok. It really feels to me that it would be more suited as an eShop game rather than a fully-fledged physical game release - £5-10 sounds reasonable, but anything over 20 sounds a bit much, assuming that there literally isn't anything more to it than decorating homes. Not too excited about Amiibo Festival as it looks like Mario Party but without the element of ruthless competitiveness which made the previous instalments so much fun to play.

All in all, I'm a little worried that the amount of spin-offs is indicating that we might be waiting a long while for the next main instalment. Even though the series definitely feels more at home on handhelds and it's difficult to think how they can top New Leaf, of course I want to see an AC Wii U title. Who doesn't? And all we're getting instead are weird spin-offs. Boo.

So I want to come back to this because judging by the treehouse stream and assorted trailers, it sounds like HHD does in fact have more to it, enough to arguably warrant its full priced.

It's basically the mayor aspect tuned up. You have complete control over the town. Who you want, where they go and the main "city" area you work in is several tiers of places you can build like Schools, Hospitals, arcades etc
The home designing is also fairly involved. Beyond working with a theme (obviously), there seems to be less restrictions so you can put more things in and can customize the surrounding yard as well with all sorts of items and works. The villagers can learn how to use certain items based on what you do. There are more actions and reactions animals can do as well. Over time (presumably tied to how happy they are, I imagine) the villagers will want to upgrade their homes to larger houses (apparently with multiple rooms) that need to be filled.
There also still seems to be an aspect of collecting new furniture judging by amiibo card descriptions; presumably you wont start the game with all options and will collect them or buy them as it progresses.

Designing the homes is clearly the crux of the game, but it's not as simple as "ok just design these homes". There's a lot of villager interaction with a lot of new dialog to go with everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than even what they've shown. It's not just a low effort $40 thing like presumably Amiibo Festival is.

If I had to guess, they're using this as a big test bed for things they want to do or implement in the next proper animal crossing. The way you build up the city, the fact you can choose where villagers go, the greatly increased outside customization, new items, new ways for villagers to interact, the increased options for inside, ability to choose your skin color, sidling, etc etc etc
They even call out how you have more power working for the HHA then you did as Mayor, which makes me think in the next one you'll be able to get at least a reworked set of functions similar to this (ie: you probably wont be able to devote a ton of outside space to a villager, but more optiosn at what you can put outside and where; ability to unlock the PDA to place things around; ability to upgrade villager homes,e tc). Especially with how hard they're seemingly pushing Lottie, the pink otter you work under/with.

e: In comparison Amiibo Festival is just sort of...there. Unless there's a lot more than meets the eye it's pretty light. Also I think I only ever saw one tweet saying it'd be free to download and I dont think it was confirmed by NoA staff or press releases or anything...

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So I want to come back to this because judging by the treehouse stream and assorted trailers, it sounds like HHD does in fact have more to it, enough to arguably warrant its full priced.

It's basically the mayor aspect tuned up. You have complete control over the town. Who you want, where they go and the main "city" area you work in is several tiers of places you can build like Schools, Hospitals, arcades etc
The home designing is also fairly involved. Beyond working with a theme (obviously), there seems to be less restrictions so you can put more things in and can customize the surrounding yard as well with all sorts of items and works. The villagers can learn how to use certain items based on what you do. There are more actions and reactions animals can do as well. Over time (presumably tied to how happy they are, I imagine) the villagers will want to upgrade their homes to larger houses (apparently with multiple rooms) that need to be filled.
There also still seems to be an aspect of collecting new furniture judging by amiibo card descriptions; presumably you wont start the game with all options and will collect them or buy them as it progresses.

Designing the homes is clearly the crux of the game, but it's not as simple as "ok just design these homes". There's a lot of villager interaction with a lot of new dialog to go with everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than even what they've shown. It's not just a low effort $40 thing like presumably Amiibo Festival is.

If I had to guess, they're using this as a big test bed for things they want to do or implement in the next proper animal crossing. The way you build up the city, the fact you can choose where villagers go, the greatly increased outside customization, new items, new ways for villagers to interact, the increased options for inside, ability to choose your skin color, sidling, etc etc etc
They even call out how you have more power working for the HHA then you did as Mayor, which makes me think in the next one you'll be able to get at least a reworked set of functions similar to this (ie: you probably wont be able to devote a ton of outside space to a villager, but more optiosn at what you can put outside and where; ability to unlock the PDA to place things around; ability to upgrade villager homes,e tc). Especially with how hard they're seemingly pushing Lottie, the pink otter you work under/with.

e: In comparison Amiibo Festival is just sort of...there. Unless there's a lot more than meets the eye it's pretty light. Also I think I only ever saw one tweet saying it'd be free to download and I dont think it was confirmed by NoA staff or press releases or anything...

Here's my thing, as a big fan of Animal Crossing, a lot of stuff in Happy Home Designer looks amazing. There is a lot more freedom and ability to customize. I also am in love that town layout they showed. My problem is that it still seems to lack that sandbox-like feel that really makes Animal Crossing a great game. At least it's more than just being called to someone's house, and then putting furniture in, but it still isn't enough. If they were to make a new Animal Crossing game (whether it's for the Wii U or NX), and put some of these features in, I will be absolutely thrilled, but until then, this game just doesn't call out to me.