• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Crossing Series

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah might just watch Twitch streams of it since I have enjoyed seeing people play games that I did not lie playing myself. Could never play Sims 4 since it was super confusing but loved watching YouTubers play

Honestly, I'm not sure Animal Crossing is the sort of game you can derive pleasure from watching someone else play. It's a very personal game. Without that personal connection, the game play is rather meaningless and dull.

And for whatever it's worth, Animal Crossing is a lot simpler than Sims, and it's a bit more of an "actual game," so it shouldn't confuse you, at least as much.

R_N

Back in The Dark Times when New Leaf was out in Japan but still not in America I watched a couple play (& translate) the game for a while and i'ds ay you can derive some solid enjoyment from other people discovering and enjoying the game themselves.

Probably player dependent, though, since as a high profile game releasing world wide there's going to be a lot offfff let's just say really enthused lpers who may/may not be your cup of tea wrt to the gameplay

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Back in The Dark Times when New Leaf was out in Japan but still not in America I watched a couple play (& translate) the game for a while and i'ds ay you can derive some solid enjoyment from other people discovering and enjoying the game themselves.

I'd say that that's mostly because you knew the franchise, and understood what everything you were watching meant, and could imagine yourself in that position. Also, it was something to tide you over until you could play for yourself. But to someone new, coming into the franchise with no former experience, I don't think it would work out the same.

I can say this from personal experience. I had some cousins who used to play Animal Crossing. Their first exposure was from watching me play City Folk, during which they had no interest and found the game boring. But once they actually played for themselves at a later time, they were hooked. Of course, it won't be the same for everyone, but I feel like that's a pretty standard scenario.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I prefer to get my games physically but I think for Animal Crossing, I might just get it digitally because Animal Crossing is a kind of game where you switch-out your previous game and switch-in Animal Crossing, do what you need to do for the few hours it gives you (unless your one of those players who wants to mess with the clock), and switch-out Animal Crossing again and switch-in another game that you will play for the rest of the night.

NPC

sleep researcher
I've never played an Animal Crossing and I'm kind of curious about it. What do you think is the best game in the series? Some people say the original, others say New Leaf. I know the new one's coming out really soon, but I'd rather play one of the previous entries.

R_N

I've never played an Animal Crossing and I'm kind of curious about it. What do you think is the best game in the series? Some people say the original, others say New Leaf. I know the new one's coming out really soon, but I'd rather play one of the previous entries.
New Leaf, by far. Fairly cheap, too, $20.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’ve only played Wild World for a bit and New Leaf for years now. New Leaf is a good place to learn how to create a town since the graphics are clearer and you have a lot of options to work with.

R_N

I’ve only played Wild World for a bit and New Leaf for years now. New Leaf is a good place to learn how to create a town since the graphics are clearer and you have a lot of options to work with.
Also the only one of the games where you'd actually influence town creation beyond building preset objects in City Folk and planting flowers/trees.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Animal Crossing is an extremely iterative franchise. Every game makes the previous one obsolete. If you've seen people say that the original is the best, then they're saying that entirely out of nostalgia. There is essentially nothing about that game that could be considered better than later entries (bar a few extremely specific things). So that would make New Leaf the obvious choice. The one thing that might change your mind is if you prefer playing on a handheld or console. New Leaf may be the better game, but I prefer City Folk, as I like the experience of playing on a TV better than a handheld.

That all being said, why not just wait for New Horizons? Like I said, each new title makes the previous obsolete, so New Leaf is going to have practically no value once New Horizons comes out. Animal Crossing really isn't the sort of franchise that you can benefit by playing older games in the series. I learned that the hard way by trying to play Wild World after playing City Folk.

shoz999

If you played one, you played them all. Just get New Horizons.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, only a week away. Between how much I want this game, and how much my life sucks right now, I don't think I've ever had a harder time waiting for a video game. This is going to be a long week, but it's all going to be worth it come next Friday.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m actually glad that I preordered the digital copy of New Horizons given the state of emergency. I never did it before but I have been slowly downloading more games than buying physical mainly because I like keeping my games in one case and not their packaging. All of my 3DS games are stuffed and stored in the pouches and game holders of the 3DS bag I have and all of my DS games are in a pouch I had gotten from a Club Nintendo. The Switch game cases are hard to find in my area and I’m running out of room in my Switch case given the elastic slots to put the carts in can only hole up to two games. The separate game case I have can only hold 12 games itself.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So apparently it's been confirmed that Gyroids aren't in this game. I am just baffled and confused. Why? They're an Animal Crossing staple, and there's just no reason why they couldn't be in the this game, at least that I can see. I won't say I'm disappointed, as I'm mostly indifferent to them, but I'm also someone who appreciates the staples of a series.

shoz999

Remember how I said I wanted to build a peculiar thing? It took a while to find what I was looking for but this style of riverwalk is what I hope to build in Animal Crossing New Horizon! Remember the inclined ramps that are built onto cliffs? I'm betting my hopes that they can connect together and be paved with stones to form this. Please let that happen. Please!

5cxjIBh.jpg

Last edited:

R_N

So apparently it's been confirmed that Gyroids aren't in this game. I am just baffled and confused. Why? They're an Animal Crossing staple, and there's just no reason why they couldn't be in the this game, at least that I can see. I won't say I'm disappointed, as I'm mostly indifferent to them, but I'm also someone who appreciates the staples of a series.
I'm guessing like a lot of things probably msising, they'll be added in a future update.

Arbitrary sure, but seems up the alley. If Brewster isn't in, then having him come with Gyroids and the ability to make your own would make a lot of sense

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm guessing like a lot of things probably msising, they'll be added in a future update.

Arbitrary sure, but seems up the alley. If Brewster isn't in, then having him come with Gyroids and the ability to make your own would make a lot of sense

Wait, Brewster's not in either? Seriously? Now that actually does bug me.

Anyways, I'm willing to accept patching in things like holidays, which won't be experienced until the time the patch arrives anyways, but patching in what has always been in the base game later on, like Gyroids, Brewster, and The Roost, just feels wrong on many levels.

As much as I would love them to make time travelling impossible, it's not like this is anything new.

R_N

Do .... do people just not know what time traveling actually did, at all

Resetti has never got mad at you! E V E R
Outside of "perishable" items, things like picking up items or removing thigns that "didnt exist" yet wouldn't get undone either

The only thing that might be unusual is if flowers dont wilt if you go back days and even then that might be something the game doesn't check for and I've never noticed.