• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Cruelty. This is terrible.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
It's inhumane. Actually, the definition of humane is stupid because it implies that humans often act accordingly. But child abuse it still worse.

Pansy :]

anustart
I really don't understand the big deal on animal abuse. So some dogs get hurt each day, well guess what? The same thing is probably happening to a child right now.
The people at PETA REALLY piss me off most of the time. I understand that they want to get a point across, but they come at it in all the wrong ways. They compare human life to that of animals, stating that both are equal in value.
The human race has fought for centuries to be at the top of the food chain, and we didn't get there just so we couldn't enjoy it. Factory farming is wrong, and it SHOULD be stopped, but the ways organizations are going about it is ridiculous.
A few months ago a smaller animal rights organization set up a giant screen on the side of a truck and showed a graphic movie of the slaughterring of chickens on a busy street in Seattle. I mean kids walk down that street for crying outloud.
I don't have a problem with animal abuse, mainly because I feel it just doesn't matter to me at all.
And almost all organizations for stopping animal abuse make me lose any fate I ever had in the future of humanity.

Sabconth

Kanto Ranger
jenny said:
I don't have a problem with animal abuse, mainly because I feel it just doesn't matter to me at all.

Animals can feel pain just like we do, why isn't it as important?

If that doesn't help, look at it this way.

People that hurt animals generally go on to become violent to humans, even killers.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I really don't understand the big deal on animal abuse. So some dogs get hurt each day, well guess what? The same thing is probably happening to a child right now.
The people at PETA REALLY piss me off most of the time. I understand that they want to get a point across, but they come at it in all the wrong ways. They compare human life to that of animals, stating that both are equal in value.

I agree that PETA (and several other animal rights organizations) are pretty much full of douche nozzles that really need to be stifled. Yes, the butchering of animals is a gruesome task, which is exactly why it's done behind closed doors. On top of that fact, PETA and the rest often only protect the cuddly animals. What about all the creepy, crawly, slithery, slimey, toxic, deadly, parasitic creatures out there that die on a daily basis because some human was creeped out by them and squished them with a newspaper? You don't see PETA defending them, do you?

But, I can only speak for myself on this, the reason it's a big deal is because there's simply no justifiable reason to commit violence against a helpless individual. It's not a question of whether the victim is human or animal. It's simply a matter of the fact that the aggressor has no right to become violent in the first place. I don't care what excuse people want to give, it's just not going to be good enough to convince me that the aggressor is really just a victim themselves.

Pansy :]

anustart
Animals can feel pain just like we do, why isn't it as important?

If that doesn't help, look at it this way.

People that hurt animals generally go on to become violent to humans, even killers.

1. The hundreds of bugs you step on each day feel pain as well. By your logic shouldn't that bed considered equal to murderring a human?
2. Well they haven't hurt any humans yet, so why should it matter?
And another thing I just remembered: Does anyone else remember the case a few months ago in I think New York where the 18 year old got a year in prison for throwing her sisters hampster out the window?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
For the final time, whichever is worse is a... drum roll.

*Drum roll*

MOOT POINT!!!

This topic is about animal cruelty and punishment toward animal cruelty, NOT a topic about whether it's worse than human cruelty or not.

Also, Jenny, an animal's life may not have AS MUCH value as a human's but it still has value, and not caring about the lives of something makes you a bad person.

Last edited:

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
Death penalties... *snaps fingers* AHA! I've got it! If you murder (or injure) any kind of animal with no good reason (a good reason would be poking a wild bear in the eye so it would stop attacking you) gets death (or injury) the same way! Stab a Bichon Frisé to death? You get death by stabbing! Break a guinea pig's leg? They break YOUR leg and throw you in jail for 3-10 years!
That would be the best thing ever.
there are kids across the street from me who beat their dog and break so many laws. But nobody does any thing about it.
Then there is a person down the street who poisons cats that are the neighborhood cats and puts out traps (breaking a law) just because he feeds the birds. Bye-bye Mouse, Smokey, Peanutbutter, Applebutter, and Coco Pebbles. Mouse wasn't a year, Coco was 7 weeks, Smokey 8, Applebutter and Peanutbutter were 3 year old MOTHERs. Coco was Applebutter's Kitten

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I won't post videos/pictures as there are young people on here (although they should learn about it at a young age) but there's been recently a Chinese man who has been torturing a cat and taking pictures.

I have noticed a great outbreak in people killing animals in the most cruel way lately. Recently a leopard was burned alive, a dog buried alive, and kittens suffocated in a hoover bag, and much more. I don't understand it.

My question to you is why do you think people act this way towards animals? Many people have poor backgrounds but still don't abuse animals in such a way. What's your opinion? Does it lead onto human abuse? Are the laws too soft on these people? Is it simply in their nature?

Everything you mention about those stories-Are sick. Animal cruelty is indeed terrible as they can feel pain and other things like us and unfair as we are the dominant species. Some people act like this towards animals because they have personal problems. It can lead into human abuse and if that happens, lock the abuser away. The laws are a bit too soft on these people though should only be improved by a bit. It can vary depending on the absuer, whether it is in their nature. Nice thread by the way :)

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I have seen some pictures about how people would put kittens in glass bottles and raise them in the bottles and feed them through a straw. I cried when I seen this. It was a tradition in some Eastern country to do this, but it is just WRONG!

My brother has ADHD and is now 24 and for as long as I can remember, he never treated our animals right. He still doesn't to this day. He knows he is hurting them but he doesn't seem to think it is wrong or it just doesn't affect him. My mom and I yell at him all the time when he squeezes our cat too hard or bites her ears (yeah... it sounds like I am talking about a year old right? He is 24!) but he just doesn't care. It's sad how people can hurt animals and not have any feeling behind it... :(

As for people with my brother... he is abusive in that area as well. =/

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
I read an article today about some apprantly drunk woman who drowned four of her friends cats because the friend complained about the animal costs. It would of been easier to put those cats up for adoption or take them to an animal center but kill them? I hope she gets the sentence she deserves.

I have seen some pictures about how people would put kittens in glass bottles and raise them in the bottles and feed them through a straw. I cried when I seen this. It was a tradition in some Eastern country to do this, but it is just WRONG!

yeah, those are bonsai kittens. a well known internet hoax.

as for animal cruelty, yeah it is wrong. but when people bring up the subject of slaughterhouses, i just find that a little different then beating a dog senselessly and drowning it. it's not like the animal at the slaughterhouse dies for no reason. it dies to become the food on your plate. of course the conditions are going to be gruesome, why waste time pampering an animal who is moments away from becoming your steak dinner?

There is one very interesting book by Earnest Hemingway called "Death in the Afternoon." The book is about bullfighting and its magnificence, but he touches a good point in it. People who want to give rights to animals and those who like animals are not the same. One wants to elevate animals to a near-human state, while the other appreciates their beauty and purpose. Those who want to make animals human are the ones who are most likely to commit atrocities against people. Just throwing that out there.

On the topic of factory farming, I can't see the problem there. You are not raising material for Kobe steaks there, you want to produce as much meat as possible to feed a hungry populace. The only need is to keep the animals healthy.

Elision

Fall Apart.
My brother has ADHD and is now 24 and for as long as I can remember, he never treated our animals right. He still doesn't to this day. He knows he is hurting them but he doesn't seem to think it is wrong or it just doesn't affect him. My mom and I yell at him all the time when he squeezes our cat too hard or bites her ears (yeah... it sounds like I am talking about a year old right? He is 24!) but he just doesn't care. It's sad how people can hurt animals and not have any feeling behind it... :(

Awww... that is sad. is your cat ok? Probably not but just asking.

Recently, someone broke into our house just to hit our dog with a vase, right on the head. She is still in the vets, and that "person" hasn't been found yet.
I also think he stole my goldfish to have dinner. :'( I hate when people do this.

Paper Wii

Gilbert

I'm lead to believe my cat Gilbert is dead. He got out 3 days ago, and was last seen under a bush in a neighbor's yard. That neighbor is known for killing animals, including cats. He was stressed out because of the new kittens. However, I will not mourn for him. He was my best friend, the best pet ever. Why should I be mourning when he was the happiest part of my life? I see no good reason. A soldier does not mourn for those lost in battle. They fight to keep others from dying.

That's why I'm not crying.​

Suffice

Defying the odds
All that pets want is to be loved, just be loved by people... I don't see why people want to hurt them. They feel pain and cry just like we do, its not fair. They cant even fight back. People who hurt innocent animals are going right to hell, I'm not religious and even I pray that theres some horrible, burning pit that these monsters are thrown into.

Okay I'm just wondering, is there any point to this thread other than a bunch of people discussing how they would disproportionately punish people who do this?

Mrs Mime

a little haphazard
Okay I'm just wondering, is there any point to this thread other than a bunch of people discussing how they would disproportionately punish people who do this?

My aim with this subject was to get people's opinions on these people mental health - are they lower intelligence? are they frustrated about having no power over other people? what does animal abuse lead to? also do some animals deserve more rights than others, discussion on if the law is too soft on these nutcases, also things which people have witnessed, why people might think animal abuse is not a big issue, etc.

It's been pretty interesting so far. :)

Last edited:
I once heard of these young kids who cut off a cats tail because it had it caught in a fence. The kids laughed and said the cats tail fell off. I think people abuse animals because they see no harm in it because they havent been taught about why its wrong when they were younger. Also some people are cruel.