• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Cruelty

Brumrha

Banned
If your an animal lover or are otherwise someone who swears by the phrase, "LIFE IS SACRED!!!!!11!one!" (of which I'm neither of these, thank you very much,) then this is the perfect debating topic for you.

On television, I've been watching some ads about animals, mostly pets, that are being mistreated, sometimes abandoned. Another thing is that some of them even (needlessly) kill or harm them, or they might even sell them to slaughterhouses. I don't know what you people think about these people, but please do tell us what you think about this.

As for me, I'm completely apathetic over this, seeing as to how little I've said about this altogether, but I'm sure that at least some of you might think otherwise...

*retreats into the panic room*

FEEPtheFlareon

Crazy but not insane
People are so mean to animals. I give to the ASPCA every month. I feel like not enough people help the animals, so I will. They can't fight back against abuse and can't understand why they're being abused. It's really sad ...

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ
How the hell is this a debate.

Of course animal cruelty is bad and should be stopped. Somehow I doubt we're going to get anyone coming to this thread and going "yeah man torturing animals is fun times 8D" and if we do then there's something wrong.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
However I find it strange that some people show more bias to animals and others and don't realize this. We love dogs so much as pets but some countries actually eat them.

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
I know animal cruelty is bad, but I sometimes do feel hypocritical when I eat meat; I'm not quite sure how systematically killing animals is exempt from 'animal cruelty'. I know the animal isn't in pain (as usually happens) when it is killed, but it's still a contentious thought for me.

Last edited:
The major issue is for human beings to stop being cruel towards one another, then move onto the lesser issue of people being cruel to animals.

ChedWick

I'm more likely to help an abused animal than I am an abused person. Take that however you like.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
I hate animal cruelty and think it should be stopped. Especially the puppy farms. Poor dogs :(

Slightly Insane

like a BOSS
Of course animal cruelty is bad and should be stopped.
Why? We kill animals all the time for food. Why would beating animals and leaving them alive be worse than completely taking their life away?

I know animal cruelty is bad, but I sometimes do feel hypocritical when I eat meat; I'm not quite sure how systematically killing animals is exempt from 'animal cruelty'. I know the animal isn't in pain (as usually happens) when it is killed, but it's still a contentious thought for me.
Tell me, would you rather get the crap beaten out of you and live, or get shot and die (but without pain).

Skull-Kid

People are so mean to animals. I give to the ASPCA every month. I feel like not enough people help the animals, so I will. They can't fight back against abuse and can't understand why they're being abused. It's really sad ...

Good for you on the donating.

Obviously animal cruelty is bad and should be stopped but it still goes on. You can do all you can to try and stop it but it's always going to happen because as long as there are people there will always be evil in the world.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think there's a huge difference between eating animals and beating the crap out of them. Most of the meat we eat comes from animals we raise solely for the purpose of food. Other animals like dogs or cats are pets that people are supposed build an emotional connection too. Most people don't usually eat their pets. I wouldn't want to eat something I loved. Animal cruelty is wrong, and frankly people shouldn't have animals if they can't properly take care of them. But I don't believe eating an animal who's only purpose was to be killed is necessarily a bad thing. We all gotta eat :S

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Many people treat to animals badly because they are bad people. Speaking of dogs and then also to "the best friend of the human" some people treat them like a doll, if they are feeling bad so they just hit them. Not to mention the cats, especially feral cats. We need to stop such incidents. To horses, people are behaving well.

Slightly Insane

like a BOSS
I think there's a huge difference between eating animals and beating the crap out of them. Most of the meat we eat comes from animals we raise solely for the purpose of food. Other animals like dogs or cats are pets that people are supposed build an emotional connection too. Most people don't usually eat their pets. I wouldn't want to eat something I loved. Animal cruelty is wrong, and frankly people shouldn't have animals if they can't properly take care of them.
So, basically what you're saying is if you love the animal it's wrong to harm it, but if you don't care about the animal it doesn't matter what happens to it?

But I don't believe eating an animal who's only purpose was to be killed is necessarily a bad thing. We all gotta eat :S

Not true. There are millions of vegetarians and vegans.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So, basically what you're saying is if you love the animal it's wrong to harm it, but if you don't care about the animal it doesn't matter what happens to it?

In a sense. I don't believe that you should harm the things closest to you. It's easier to kill certain animals because they were raised for that purpose alone and most of the time, you've never established an emotional connection to it. It might not be the right way to do things, but that's how things are and I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Not true. There are millions of vegetarians and vegans.

Ok, but I somehow doubt that everyone else would give up meat just to keep some cattle around in the fields. Not everyone is commited to going vegetarian/vegan.

Skull-Kid

Ok, but I somehow doubt that everyone else would give up meat just to keep some cattle around in the fields. Not everyone is commited to going vegetarian/vegan.

Isn't it a good thing we're eating cows?

I remember reading somewhere that cows give off harmful gases that pollute the atmosphere or something to that effect.

GreenDay4ever

bye!, i had a blast
I think humans are a much bigger deal than some dogs... I'm not an animal hater or anything like that, I just think its weird that some people would spend their money in helping dogs when they could be saving lifes in Africa...

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Most of the meat we eat comes from animals we raise solely for the purpose of food. Other animals like dogs or cats are pets that people are supposed build an emotional connection too.
This basically says some animals are more worthy than others.

Did I also mention that dogs can be food in other countries?

Like I said it's all really selective and while I do not support abuse, I do find it strange that we support other things.

Skull-Kid

I think humans are a much bigger deal than some dogs... I'm not an animal hater or anything like that, I just think its weird that some people would spend their money in helping dogs when they could be saving lifes in Africa...

"Because animals have the same rights as humans do". - Quote from some random

Many people believe animals have the same rights people(not saying they don't) so that's why the dogs are just as high as a priority as humans.

Slightly Insane

like a BOSS
In a sense. I don't believe that you should harm the things closest to you. It's easier to kill certain animals because they were raised for that purpose alone and most of the time, you've never established an emotional connection to it. It might not be the right way to do things, but that's how things are and I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.
Yes, but we are discussing the morality of animal cruelty: whether or not it is right. It is certainly easier to harm something that you do not have an emotional connection to, but a lack of caring doesn't change the morality of the action. It only changes your emotions.

Actually, there's quite a large number of vegetarians growing in the world. There are 3,600,000 vegetarians from Europe and 7,300,000 vegetarians from the U.S.A. Of course, this number completely pales in comparison to the 399,000,000 vegetarians from India. And the numbers are growing every day.

Source: (one of the images is suggestive so don't open unless the room is clear of younger children.)

The Number of Vegetarians In The World

What's the number of vegetarians living in the U.S., Europe, and elsewhere in the world? How many vegans are there? How many raw foodists?

Through polling we can answer these questions to some degree, but it's still hard to get exact figures.

The Number of Vegetarians In The United States

The 2008, "Vegetarianism in America" study (1) published by the Vegetarian Times Magazine, puts the number of U.S. adult vegetarians at 7.3 million, or 3.2 percent of the population.

Of those, 0.5 percent, or 1 million, are vegans who consume no animal products at all. Another 11.9 million, or 5.2 percent of the population, claims to be interested in vegetarian diets. How many in that mix follow a raw food diet?

Likely some small fraction of the vegans are also raw foodists, but the question wasn't asked. The study surveyed 5,050 people from different areas of the country, which is considered a statistically-sound representative sample, but with so few people it may be that none of them were raw foodists.

So is vegetarianism growing or shrinking? A similar poll sponsored by the Vegetarian Resource Group in 2004 (2) estimated that 2.8 percent of adult Americans consider themselves vegetarians, up from 2.3 percent in their 2000 poll. If these polls are accurate, it's probably fair to say that vegetarianism, and veganism along with it, are increasing.

The Number of Vegetarians in Europe

In England, vegetarianism got a huge boost from the mad cow scare. According to a 2006 Mintel survey (3), 6 percent of the population, or 3.6 million people, are vegetarians, and 10 percent eat no red meat. This likely makes the UK the european country with the largest proportion of its population that is vegetarian.

Sources for the rest of Europe are less than reliable, but according to information gathered from numerous sources by the European Vegetarian Union (excluding estimates and extrapolation:) (4):

Austria: 243,000 - 3%
Belgium: 204,000 - 2%
Croatia: 166,500 - 3.7%
Czech Republic: 153,000 - 1.5%
Denmark: 81,000 - 1.5%
France: >1,200,000 - >2%
The Netherlands: 700,900 - 4.3%
Norway: 92,000 - 2%
Poland: >386,000 - >1%
Portugal: 30,000 - 0.3%

The Number of Vegetarians In Israel

The EVU (4) also cites a study done by the Israeli Ministry of Health that claims 8.5 percent of the Israeli population, or 595,000 people, are vegetarian, which is an impressive figure. The Israeli Ministry of Health is a legitimate source, but no copy of the survey could be found.

Number of Vegetarians In India

India holds more vegetarians than the rest of the world combined.
A 2006 survey by the Hindu newspaper (5) found that 40 percent of the population, or 399 million people, are vegetarians.
This is mostly driven by class and religious concerns, with the Brahmin class expected to not eat meat, the Hindu religion suggesting vegetarianism and the Jain religion demanding it.

ChedWick

Screw Africa and screw people. Yea I said it.