• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animal Rights

Ktai

I'm pulling out my question because I changed my mind about this debate (sorry). I think you misread me Byzantine (or I wasn't neutral enough) - I was trying to put two sides that I've seen here or there without taking a stance first. I'm against whaling & the dolphin hunting.

Byzantine

Ohh no, I wasn't against you, I was simply stating my opinion on the matter, the only reason it was directed at you was because you brought up the topic that i replied to.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
Ohh no, I wasn't against you, I was simply stating my opinion on the matter, the only reason it was directed at you was because you brought up the topic that i replied to.

Oh Byzan, i had a question. in ur sig what does the (T) next to a pokemon mean?

ohhhh

nvm

Last edited:

Bek

I accept that meat is a vital part of the diet. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat it myself.
I think it is acceptable to eat meat as long as you would be prepared to kill it yourself (Or if you are a baby/child/pregnant woman, or have a health problem which causes you to need the nutrition from meat).
I think being unprepared to kill it yourself is completely ignorant and doesn't pay the animal the repect it deserves. I'm also quite particular... I won't touch the meat or anything, I won't wear leather and other animal products. I think to myself "I wouldn't like my dead body to be a pair of shoes or a nice purse".

Also, I think meat is a massive strain on the environment. You waste resources raising the animal to kill it, when in reality you could just eat from the land and no cause this extra waste of resources. But I'm not much of an environmentalist.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Or you could factor in that meat is more nutritious than produce would ever be, which makes up for your so-called "waste of resources". Talking of which, without goats or cows, can you imagine the state of the grass?

11DBHK

Banned
its not immoral to eat meat they arent people and it's the natural way. ****ing DEAL WITH IT lol
sorry for being so blunt but thats how it is

Pansy :]

anustart
I think that killing animals is okay, but as long as you gain from it... killing just for the sake of killing isn't cool.

Night_Walker

Complex question.

I'm not sure there's a single answer really. Since it all depends on how the question is framed and what other animals (since we are animals too) we're referring to;
~ We have a subjective view of certain animals, which differ between countries, as pests - heck mice are a wonderful example of our duality, pet mice are thought of far more kindly than wild ones (by most people).
~ We have a somewhat subjective view that certain animals are smarter than others and thus are more worthy of life.
~ We have different views of how acceptable it is to harvest animals for food, which can differ between wild ones and ones we breed for our own consumption.

For example I oppose whaling on the following grounds: whales breed too slowly to be sustainably harvested as food, pretty much beyond the Inuit people no longer (if they ever did) really eat whale meat on-mass any more and whales are likely the best bet for another sentient species on this planet.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

As far as I'm concerned, animals have the right to be made into a delicious sandwich and perhaps a tasty stew.

pretty much beyond the Inuit people no longer (if they ever did) really eat whale meat on-mass any more

Yes, Inuit do eat whale. Other people eat whale, as well; the Japanese, the Norwegians... Remember, whales do have a slow birth and growth rate, but you don't have to kill nearly so many to get a certain amount of meat due simply to their vast size.

whales are likely the best bet for another sentient species on this planet.

Eh. Sentient < Sapient, in my books.

Last edited:

Aquanova

I think all animals are worthy of life on earth. It dosrnt matter how cute or smart they seem, we all belong on the same planet.

I'm a massive animal rights advocate (Vegetarian :D). I believe killing animals to eat is wrong, because they can feel pain. How would you like it if you were raised by, say cattle, and they kill you when you're nice and plump?

When an animal kills a human, it's splattered across the news. Many people rush to kill the animal, especially if it's a shark. What they don't get is that it's in their nature. It's not the shark's fault if it kills a human. It didn't know that the nice, juicy seal it was going to eat for breakfast turns out to be a human who's got friends thirsting for revenge. We, however, can refrain from killing animals if we choose.

I don't have a problem with meat, more so the way it's killed. If we were to have farms where the animal is raised and dies a happy, nature death from old age, I wouldn't have a problem with eating the meat.

I think animals are our equals, but that's just my two cents.

I think being unprepared to kill it yourself is completely ignorant and doesn't pay the animal the repect it deserves. I'm also quite particular... I won't touch the meat or anything, I won't wear leather and other animal products. I think to myself "I wouldn't like my dead body to be a pair of shoes or a nice purse".

I agree, but I wasn't so lucky. My school shoes are leather and my mum "mysteriously" didn't mention they were (I just assumed they were fake, considering how much she knows me and how picky I am over this stuff) until they were bought :/ Now I've got to wait until I out grow them.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
'K so here's the thing. Animals should deff get more rights than humans. I mean, they've been here longer, so like, yeah.

I mostly agree with GetOutOfBox's sentiments.

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
When an animal kills a human, it's splattered across the news. Many people rush to kill the animal, especially if it's a shark. What they don't get is that it's in their nature. It's not the shark's fault if it kills a human. It didn't know that the nice, juicy seal it was going to eat for breakfast turns out to be a human who's got friends thirsting for revenge. We, however, can refrain from killing animals if we choose.

I don't have a problem with meat, more so the way it's killed. If we were to have farms where the animal is raised and dies a happy, nature death from old age, I wouldn't have a problem with eating the meat.

I think animals are our equals, but that's just my two cents.

If animals are our equals, then there's no reason we can't retaliate and kill them for killing one of us. After all, it's in our nature to feel outrage towards the animal that killed another member of our species.

I do think that people should try to kill animals as painlessly as possible and not make them suffer, though.

If animals are our equals, then there's no reason we can't retaliate and kill them for killing one of us. After all, it's in our nature to feel outrage towards the animal that killed another member of our species.

I do think that people should try to kill animals as painlessly as possible and not make them suffer, though.

True, but after awhile, all these animals who've made mistakes are slowly going to be wiped out. It's already started with sharks.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

'K so here's the thing. Animals should deff get more rights than humans. I mean, they've been here longer, so like, yeah.

I mostly agree with GetOutOfBox's sentiments.

Fantastic. When do we rig up the voting booths for the little tardigrades?

What exact rights do you intend for them to have? Saying that animals should have 'more rights' is rather vague. Voting rights? A right to maul us without fear of reprisal? A right to not get made into a delicious sandwich?

And I can't see why longetivity should get them anything more. If we're going by a designation of "they're older so they should get 'more rights' ", then does that mean that our senior citizens should similarly have 'more rights' than our college students? What about if an ethnic group is older than another?

Would messing around with genes of animals and coming up with something entirely new mean that the new creature would have none of these 'rights'?

I don't know, honestly. I understand that the most fundamental defense against animal rights is rooted in social contract theory, i.e. animals cannot enter into the social contract or be entered into it, and thus are not granted the same protections in exchange for personal freedoms as humans are.

But somewhere in the back of my head I always feel like I'm exemplifying some severe cognitive dissonance by not being a vegetarian when I'm all about the right to bodily autonomy.

Aquanova

i suppose next you'll want to allow them to vote.

who says that animals would even want to. I cant imagine that animals would want anything to do with human affairs. If they had the voting rights, im pretty sure they wouldnt vote for humans anyway. Animal rights isnt about giving animals the right to vote. Its about letting them live their lives without being harmed or killed or used in a way that would harm or kill them