• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals in the pokemon world?

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I didn't see a thread about this, so what do you think? In pokedex entries, animals are often mentioned, and real animals often appear in the anime as food, as well as sometimes alive, like fish in the cerulean city gym's aquarium. What is your opinion on this? I think that it was just because the producers of the anime didn't want to show pokemon as food for fear of scaring kids.

ShadowScar Knight

Mexican Buddha!
Hrm, well I guess there has to be SOME way to fill in the gaps in the food chain, as well as fill roles in the wildlife ecosystems, right? :p

thejt

Everyday Im Shufflin
Vanillite, Vanilluxe.
EDIT: nevermind. I get what you meant now. Pokemon eating other pokemon? lol

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I don't think animals should be in the Pokemon world. People should eat Pokemon for food.

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
I don't think animals should be in the Pokemon world. People should eat Pokemon for food.

Everyone said Farfetch'd was really yummy in the anime. But I guess it would be weird seeing Ash and friends cook up a Magikarp. But then again... All I ever see them eat is rice balls.

So I have come to a conclusion, real animals should NOT be in the pokemon world. I mean can you imagine a conversation between a black lab and a growlithe?

Lab: "I'm better than you because I am man's best friend and a good breed of dog"
Growlithe: "I can breathe fire, work with Officer Jenny, and evolve into the Lengendary pokemon."
Lab: "....."

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
I don't think they're needed... I do seem to recall somebody having a daydream about eating the Magikarp James bought from the salesman on the SS Anne when they're on that raft... I think it was Meowth. Anyway, Pokémon probably do eat each other. The Pokédex says Heatmor eat Durant, so it's probable other Pokémon eat other Pokémon too.

DrasticPhase

Half ded
I don't think they shouldn't have real animals in the pokemon world because aren't most pokemon animals
ant=durant
ice cream=vanillite line
jello=ditto

Axel

Orange Champion
1. There are real animals in the Pokemon world. Watch the earlier seasons of the anime and read the earlier volumes of the manga and you will see them. Pokedex entries also make numerous references to animals.

2. Pokemon eat each other, which is also referenced by Pokedex entries.

3. People eat Pokemon. The most obvious example of this is Farfetch'd, which is rare due to over-hunting. Apparently, it tastes delicious with the leek it carries around.

Aegon

I don't think they shouldn't have real animals in the pokemon world because aren't most pokemon animals
ant=durant
ice cream=vanillite line
jello=ditto
I fail to see how ice cream and jello are animals. >_<

Real-life animals aren't featured much in Pokémon anymore, are they? There were quite a few in Gen I works, such as the original series and manga, but now they aren't seen.

Last edited:

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a dog in a Pokemon book, and it wasn't a Pokemon.
I'm sure the animals are actually undiscovered Pokemon. Not animals.
As to when animals are mentioned in Pokedex data, they are trying to relate Pokemon to the real world.

In that special at the Cerulean Gym there were fish in a tank, and they weren't Pokemon.

As I said, they are possibly undiscovered Pokemon. That's understandible logic, am I right?

Aegon

There was a dog in a Pokemon book, and it wasn't a Pokemon.
I'm sure the animals are actually undiscovered Pokemon. Not animals.
As to when animals are mentioned in Pokedex data, they are trying to relate Pokemon to the real world.

In that special at the Cerulean Gym there were fish in a tank, and they weren't Pokemon.

As I said, they are possibly undiscovered Pokemon. That's understandible logic, am I right?
So nobody noticed those fish in the man-made tank? Then again, nobody in Kanto noticed another hundred or so Pokémon in the region that's connected to theirs. :|

randomspot555

Animals aren't seen (or in the case of the various mangas and the anime, not seen much) because the focus is on Pokemon, not common animals.

But they certainly do exist. Birds chirping can be heard in almost every episode of the anime that involves traveling on a route or going through a forest.

Newsy

I think some little and primitive animals live in the pokemon world - like worms, but not mammals, birds and something else. I think so because small pokemons like pidgey need live feed and I don't think their eat caterpies who weith two times more then they.
P.s. Sorry for a bad english.

Aegon

But they certainly do exist. Birds chirping can be heard in almost every episode of the anime that involves traveling on a route or going through a forest.
Can't the chirping noises belong to bird-based Pokémon? Tepig makes an oink sound, just like a pig, so similarly, bird Pokémon must also make bird noises.
I think some little and primitive animals live in the pokemon world - like worms, but not mammals, birds and something else. I think so because small pokemons like pidgey need live feed and I don't think their eat caterpies who weith two times more then they.
P.s. Sorry for a bad english.
Don't worry, your English is much better than many of the members here.

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
there are animals in pokemon, otherwise why would gastly have turned into a mongoose in the episode The Ghost of Maiden's Peak?

KittyKitty3308

Shiny Hunter
They were needed when there were very few Pokemon (Kanto days) but not anymore.

So what did the animals do? Die? Morph into pokemon? Go into infinite hiding?

Newsy

Don't worry, your English is much better than many of the members here.

Thank you very much, I always thought that my level of English is terrible.

How can I see, many real life animals shows in the first season - fishes, worms and even mongoose. Maybe because creators don't worked on Pokemon universe enough in those days and it was mixed with our reality, and nowdays it much more unique.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Ash mentioned a catfish in the Seaking catching episode