• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals that aren't Pokémon yet v.4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnvyTheirGreed

Just keep swimming~
Entei is based on the Chinese guardian lions, look it up. Also Luxray is a big cat with a big mane. It even have a different sized mane between the sex.
And remember, even if it doesn't look exactly like you want it to, doesn't mean it isn't based on the subject.

If the Beast Trio is based off of "Foo Dogs" then why does the mythology state that Foo Dogs are paired? Not, in groups of three.

Fine we haven't any big white dogs. Not that I'm going to aknowledge that, because the color doesn't really play a role in pokemon designs=origins

Even so, if color plays "no role" in pokemon, why does your list state different dog breeds? Like a German Shepherd for example? Mightyena could easily be based off of a German Shepherd.
They act similar to, in the anime.
They present themselves as a security to their trainers.
Etc.

Why not add "Akita" to the list for Hachi?

It has a different colored underside
It has white spots on the head.
It has small sharp teeth
They're large
They're aquatic
I don't find it strange at all to call kyogre an orca.

I suppose if you base the color variation on Kyogre to an Orca, it does have small similarities.
But I was speaking more of an actual, Orca like Pokemon.
Kind of how Liepard is a Leopard.
In that sense.
Except, less ugly.

Lillipup - Yorkshire Terrier puppy.
Herdier - Adult puppy cut, Yorkshire Terrier.
Stoutland - Mix between Yorkshire Terrier and Pekingese.
Only makes sense. So I suppose on top of Dog Breeds, you have on your list already. You can easily throw Pekingese into the mix.

If the Beast Trio is based off of "Foo Dogs" then why does the mythology state that Foo Dogs are paired? Not, in groups of three.
I didn't say the whole trio. I said only Entei. However should they make two different Entei just because they come in pairs. Thats like saying that they should be making a whole lot of Manetric versions since it is based on wolfes and they usually come in packs.

Even so, if color plays "no role" in pokemon, why does your list state different dog breeds? Like a German Shepherd for example? Mightyena could easily be based off of a German Shepherd.
They act similar to, in the anime.
They present themselves as a security to their trainers.
Etc.

Why not add "Akita" to the list for Hachi?
I think we both now that Mightyena is not a German Sheperd. However it was late and I was tired when I made the list so I just added everything from the thread to the list. I fyou could come up with a big white breed (and the breeds name) I can put it on the list later. If you are happy with Akita Inu, then I will add it later on.

I suppose if you base the color variation on Kyogre to an Orca, it does have small similarities.
But I was speaking more of an actual, Orca like Pokemon.
Kind of how Liepard is a Leopard.
In that sense.
Except, less ugly.

Lillipup - Yorkshire Terrier puppy.
Herdier - Adult puppy cut, Yorkshire Terrier.
Stoutland - Mix between Yorkshire Terrier and Pekingese.
Only makes sense. So I suppose on top of Dog Breeds, you have on your list already. You can easily throw Pekingese into the mix.
Kyogre is an Orca/Leviathan hybrid and looks way more like an orca than Liepard looks like a Leopard. As Liepard is actually based on lepoard cat.
And I will add Pekingese to the list in the next update. When someone mentions an animal, it will be added.

And I will add Typloshion to Honey Badger, was actually a long time since I have compared them and I do see the similarity when you mention it.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
Bisharp and Pawniard remind me a lot of a bishop and a pawn from Chess. I'd like to see a knight, rook, king and queen pokemon to complete the set.

I think Nintendo dropped the ball here; there could have been two versions of a chess set, like Gastrodom (or whatever the East Sea/West Sea pokemon was.)

We have a Knight(Esclavier). Now, we need a Rook, King, and Queen. For a while, i thought Gothitelle was based off the Queen from chess till I heard it was a goth girl.

We need something, monumental, a Pokemon that has never even been considered, a Pokemon that is strange, unordinary, and makes Sewaddle look normal:

Bacterian, the Bacteria pokemon

XXD17

Draco rex
We have a Knight(Esclavier). Now, we need a Rook, King, and Queen. For a while, i thought Gothitelle was based off the Queen from chess till I heard it was a goth girl.

We need something, monumental, a Pokemon that has never even been considered, a Pokemon that is strange, unordinary, and makes Sewaddle look normal:

Bacterian, the Bacteria pokemon

we have vespiquen and slowking...and a rook is like a watch tower or mini castle so crustle can work...

m190049

Local psychopath
Keep in mind Kyogere is a Leviathan in role only. In form, it is an orca.
The leviathan in lore is miles in length, vaguely looks like a mix between a snake and a fish (pretty much like a typical "sea serpent"), and has eyes that glow and posses illuminating power like an anglerfish. Similarly, the Behemoth looks like an ox/bison/Etc. cross and is large as a mountain, while Groudon is an armadillo lizard, and the Ziz is pretty much just a griffon, while Rayquaza is a Chinese dragon.
They fill the role of the Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz perfectly however. Unconquerable master of their element, the two engage in a climactic battle, nearly destroy the world, Ziz calms them, blah blah.

(Also, I believe the tail end of my previous post concerning the wyvern thing may have been passed over.)

Last edited:
Keep in mind Kyogere is a Leviathan in role only. In form, it is an orca.
The leviathan in lore is miles in length, vaguely looks like a mix between a snake and a fish (pretty much like a typical "sea serpent"), and has eyes that glow and posses illuminating power like an anglerfish. Similarly, the Behemoth looks like an ox/bison/Etc. cross and is large as a mountain, while Groudon is an armadillo lizard, and the Ziz is pretty much just a griffon, while Rayquaza is a Chinese dragon.
They fill the role of the Leviathan, Behemoth, and Ziz perfectly however. Unconquerable master of their element, the two engage in a climactic battle, nearly destroy the world, Ziz calms them, blah blah.

(Also, I believe the tail end of my previous post concerning the wyvern thing may have been passed over.)
I didn't pass it over, I was waiting to see if celebtrainer would come with a comeback, however he hasn't and I will therefore take actions.
BTW: Happy Birthday!

Changes - Bold

Added
Ziz - Rayquaza
Akita Inu
Leopard Cat - Liepard

Pekingese - Stoutland
Hoenybadger - Typloshion
Rook - Crustle

Gotten "Debatable" status
None

Completely Removed
Wyvern (Norse mythology) - Kyurem (Debatable)
Link to full list: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=12787975#post12787975

Last edited:
Okay, I've been reading a lot of posts talking about the Lillipup line and I thought I'd throw in my two cents:
First of all, ever since I first saw Herdier, the first thing that came to my mind was that it looks just like a Scotty Dog. It has the proper size and physical proportions as well as the mustache-shaped tufts of fur under its nose.
Second of all, Stoutland looks to me just like a Saint Bernard. It's enormous yet loyal, and its Pokedex entry even tells about people using it to save people who get lost in blizzards. It just seems to fit the role perfectly in size as well as character traits.

Porygandrew

Okay, I've been reading a lot of posts talking about the Lillipup line and I thought I'd throw in my two cents:
First of all, ever since I first saw Herdier, the first thing that came to my mind was that it looks just like a Scotty Dog. It has the proper size and physical proportions as well as the mustache-shaped tufts of fur under its nose.
Second of all, Stoutland looks to me just like a Saint Bernard. It's enormous yet loyal, and its Pokedex entry even tells about people using it to save people who get lost in blizzards. It just seems to fit the role perfectly in size as well as character traits.

This is why the first iteration of this thread listed "cat" and "dog" because while, yes, specific breeds have been used and there are HUNDREDS of breeds that haven't been used, yet, it's just stupid to try to list all the breeds that haven't been used.

I, too, would also love a pokemon based on my dog - a jack russel terrier - and they could make it so it goes after vermin, digs underground, etc.
They could make a dalmatian with a firefighter's design
blah
blah
blah

that list can go on forever. "Generic Domesticated Dog" and "Generic Domesticated Cat" are good enough just as "horse" covers pretty much all types of equine and is covered by Ponyta and Rapidash.
Would it be awesome if another horse was done? Of course. But that doesn't mean horses haven't been done.

By the way, my aunt's dog, an Australian Terrier, is a dead-ringer for Herdier. She owns a pokemon! :D

EDIT: Ironically Sugimori made a point saying that a grass-type dog doesn't make sense, but a Cu Sith is a green dog of irish folklore!

Last edited:
I think that we need more Humanoid Pokemon. Maybe like the cavemen? *pokes pointer fingers together* I also think that Herdier's kind of like a Terrier and Stoutland is more of a Giant Schnauzer.

Last edited:
I know we already have a Raven Pokemon, but I think they should make two more.
Specifically, I want to see them make a pair of Pokemon based on the Ravens that served Odin in Norse mythology. These two Ravens, Huginn and Muninn, are made to represent thought and memory respectively. This would be sort of like the Sinnoh lake trio, but not enough to be redundant in my opinion.

Zachmac

Does anyone else here think that rhydon looks slightly like a ceratosaurus? I know it's definitely not 100% rhino since it has obvious reptilian features...
It's rocky, because it's made of rock.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Do we have a Chimera Pokemon?

rocky505

I think that we need more Humanoid Pokemon. Maybe like the cavemen? *pokes pointer fingers together* I also think that Herdier's kind of like a Terrier and Stoutland is more of a Giant Schnauzer.
Tangrowth is considered a cave man.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Tangrowth is considered a cave man.

Bulbapedia's entries are sometimes very opinionated as to what a Pokemon may be based on.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
by chimera, do you mean the greek amalgamate beast or the deepsea cartilaginous fish? If the former then I think not, if the latter, I believe Gorebyss fits the bill pretty well...

Yeah, I was thinking the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.