• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals that aren't Pokémon yet v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver_Seoul

Absol is based off of the Barghest, a monstrous black dog in English folklore.

Credit goes to B.Pedia. =)

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
That's good, i never knew what he was. I think they should do a Pegasus Ponyta/Rapidash Evo

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Also, they're both green lol.

Don't worry, it won't get locked because of this ^_^
1. That's just one picture of Quetzalcoatl. We'll never know what color the Aztecs thought Quetzalcoatl was.
2. Yeah, the thread has had much worse arguments than this, chock full of insults and threats, and it's still open!
@RayquazaMaster:

I always thought that the fins were supposed to be a Pokemon representation of feathers on the otherwise dragon-type Rayquaza.

That, and there's just too many coincidences:
Quetzacoatl's four feathered tail and Raquaza's four finned tail.
The four head fins on Rayquaza that happen to look like Quetzacoatl's feathered mane.

Maybe Rayquaza isn't a direct interpretation of Quetzacoatl, but I'd be surprised if they didn't reference it at least a little.

EDIT: Although I agree, conceptually Rayquaza is Ziz. I just mean design-wise, they seem to have referenced Quetzacoatl.
Rayquaza's tail has 3 fins on the tip. And that's only if you count the absolute tip as a fin.

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Rayquaza's tail has 3 fins on the tip. And that's only if you count the absolute tip as a fin.

Maybe Rayquaza isn't a direct interpretation of Quetzacoatl, but I'd be surprised if they didn't reference it at least a little.

EDIT: Although I agree, conceptually Rayquaza is Ziz. I just mean design-wise, they seem to have referenced Quetzacoatl.

Again, I didn't say it WAS quetzacoatl. But, if you were drawing a concept for a giant green serpent dragon thing, what would you do? You would find reference of every giant green serpent dragon thing ever created.

I'm sure they looked at Chinese-style dragons, giant anacondas, and other various creatures before creating Rayquaza.

And maybe. JUST maybe. They may have referenced quetzacoatl too.

So, let's agree to disagree.

GigaPuff

Quote Bulbapedia:
Rayquaza is most likely based on the Hebrew legends of Ziz, the unconquerable primal master of the sky. Its counterparts were Behemoth and Leviathan. Rayquaza's appearance also draws inspiration from a Chinese dragon.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Aside from Sudowoodo, I'd like to see a walking, talking tree.

SeamYo

I wouldnt mind a Polar Bear themed pokemon

And I really want a Musk ox, could be Ice and Poison- horrible typeing yes but I just really like musk ox's :)

Laurencin

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
Quote Bulbapedia:
Rayquaza is most likely based on the Hebrew legends of Ziz, the unconquerable primal master of the sky. Its counterparts were Behemoth and Leviathan. Rayquaza's appearance also draws inspiration from a Chinese dragon.

Wikipedia:
Rayquaza resembles a large serpent dragon. The design is based on the Chinese dragon, and influenced by Mesoamerican art.[

And to throw in a non-artist's rendition of Quetzacoatl:

http://heavenawaits.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/quetzalcoatl21.jpg

And Rayquaza:
http://site.mynet.com/alper33/mynet_resimlerim/rayquaza.gif

I'm just saying. Maybe they may have looked at it a little bit?

@SeamYo: The polar bear should definitely be done. It's just too obvious to not be done.
@Laurencin: A llama could be awesome! Maybe fire type. ^^ I dunno, I just kind of like fire types.

A woodpecker could be interesting though. Maybe a sugarglider could be cool.
Flying furry squirrel-like creatures make people happy.

MrPostman

Viceroy
It does resemble that, as well as most depictions of Quetzalcoatl. As I said, their serpentine design is similar and that's quite a striking similarity - enough to make the claim considering the lack of other artistically similar concepts for Rayquaza (which significantly differ from Quetzalcoatl btw).

Also, they're both green lol.
Ignoring the wings, the massive amounts of feathers, vibrant colors, the bulging stomach, and the lack of tiny arms (something most Eastern/Chinese dragons actually have, btw), they sure do look alike! No, wait, they don't. Rayquaza doesn't look like this either. (It's oh so much easier to find a non-serpentine appearance of the big "Q" for some reason.)

The Aztecs weren't the only culture with serpents (such as the Greeks, the Norse or, uh, the Chinese(!)), so defaulting to a specific one (i.e., Quetzalcoatl) from a specific culture from which it is missing all of the key features is rather silly. Freaking Nidhogg looks closer by virtue of being part green and having tiny arms.

Abysmal Zero: Did you see any fins (like on that tail for instance) in my picture? I just saw feathers. Your picture has feathers, fancy coloring, and a headdress and /thing/ on its tail (no fins, either). Rayquaza still doesn't have any of those. And would you like stating what Meso-American influences?
your wiki article said:
"The design is based on the Chinese dragon".
oh ho ho.

Abysmal Zero

Burninating
And would you like stating what Meso-American influences?
The Aztecs weren't the only culture with serpents

Is Rayquaza not serpent-like?
Wikipedia:
While not usually feathered, classic Maya serpent iconography seems related to the belief in a sky, venus, creator, war and fertility related serpent deity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

And from back a few posts:

Again, I didn't say it WAS quetzacoatl. But, if you were drawing a concept for a giant green serpent dragon thing, what would you do? You would find reference of every giant green serpent dragon thing ever created.

I'm sure they looked at Chinese-style dragons, giant anacondas, and other various creatures before creating Rayquaza.

My Point is:

Rayquaza IS NOT Quetzacoatl.
Rayquaza is referenced from many serpent/dragon creatures.
Rayquaza is conceptually Ziz.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Fairy Pokemon: Clefairy Line

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I'd like to see an Earthworm.

Jesster

Spicy Nooblet
I'd like to see a zebra. ;O or something based off of a swordfish... water/fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.