• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals that aren't Pokemon yet V2

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Pretty sure Doduo is supposed to be a dodo. Name certainly says so.

Samurott's name also implies it is an otter, but it's a sea lion.

If it has it in it's name, it doesn't mean it is. Doduo and Dodrio are likely based more on Ostriches or Emus based on their body style.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Tardigrades, also known as water bears.
Hummingbirds.
Werewolves.
Vampires.
Cupachabras.
Kelpies.
Banshees.
Keldeo's at least seemingly got a little kelpie in it, though how much might be debatable. Misdreavus also seems to fit the bill for a banshee pokémon if you ask me, though then again, it's got some other elements.

And by the sounds of it, rockruff is going to evolve into a werewolf-esque pokémon, so that seems to be a thing.

There are a lot of interesting worms. You could have an earthworm(either Ground or Ground/Bug type), bristle-worm(Water, with almost anything), a flatworm(Ghost type would be beast), or my personal favorite a velvet worm(Arceus knows what type, but I would give it a moveset that causes paralysis)
So true, it's a real wonder worms have been pokéfied to such the small degree they have (the insect-like ones the pokédex calls "worms" notwithstanding). I'd say the closest would be giratina and zygarde, but the earthworm is one obvious creature that's gone ignored by the developers for a strangely long time. I'd love a ghost-type planarian, and yes, the velvet worm is just begging to be pokéfied.

I mean, just watch this video. Take one good look at the tomopteris and tell me that isn't a pokémon already (also, check out the pugiporcinus, it's pretty much a real life solosis).

Do we have a Manatee poke yet? Can't recall.

Not unless you count dewgong (I certainly don't) or possibly quagsire's borrowing some manatee elements (though they're pretty subtly incorporated, so it's pretty much a salamander).

I've said this before, but there really ought to be more insects. Seeing as both insect collecting was the origin of the concept of Pokémon to begin with, and there are just so many kinds of insects in the world, it's a bit of a wonder how much of a short end of the stick the bug type has had as a whole. The last generation released literally only had one family of them, and used a type of insect that had more than one line of pokémon representing it. There's just such a wealth of inspiration that can be drawn from them that's being overlooked.

Beetles alone would be worth looking into. There are some really obvious candidates like the bombardier beetle and dung beetle that haven't been touched. Other ones like giraffe weevils or sexton/burying beetle seem like pretty good candidates as well. And then there are the bugs (I mean the actual bugs, the insects in the hemiptera order), which only have one pokémon representing them (2 if you count shuckle, but if you want to be really strict, only surskit). The aquatic ones especially, seeing as the only water/bug type loses its water type when it evolves. It's pretty surprising giant water bugs haven't been thought of, seeing as if I'm right, they're pretty well known in Eastern Asia (don't remember if Japan itself has them), and I could totally see a line incorporating it with other water bugs like the water boatman and backswimmer (maybe even give the boatman some elements of traditional boats). As I've also said on a thread like this earlier, I'd love to see a line combining a rat-tailed maggot with a water scorpion, what with their similar snorkel-like breathing mechanisms.

On the other end of the spectrum, it might be cool to incorporate some more parallels to real-life metamorphosis cycles. The one line of dragonflies starts right out in adult form. It would be really cool for there to be a dragonfly/damselfly naiad pokémon, seeing as they're pretty cool water predators, and perhaps it can even evolve into the bug/dragon-typed dragonfly everyone expected yanmega to be. Orthopterans could also use some real representation (I love kricketune, but it's barely cricket-like apart from its chirping). Stick insects would be cool too (it's a bit of a wonder that wasn't the first thought for grass/bug). Cockroaches are conspicuously absent too. Also, aphids. I really think ledyba and ledian need some prey.

I'd say the top of my wish list would probably be a termite. Specifically, a representation of the Azande Dakpa termite oracle. There's no bug/psychic type so far, and this idea of an insect with clairvoyant properties fits the bill perfectly, not to mention being a creature that isn't a pokémon already. On top of that, this would be a pokémon with an African cultural inspiration, which Pokémon has pretty much given little attention apart from the Egyptian-inspired ones. By the looks of how gen. 7 is going, most of the unused type combinations are going to old pokémon, but I think this would be just perfect for the first psychic bug.

Cutty

Forever now
So true, it's a real wonder worms have been pokéfied to such the small degree they have (the insect-like ones the pokédex calls "worms" notwithstanding). I'd say the closest would be giratina and zygarde, but the earthworm is one obvious creature that's gone ignored by the developers for a strangely long time. I'd love a ghost-type planarian, and yes, the velvet worm is just begging to be pokéfied.

Is Giratina not a centipede?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Is Giratina not a centipede?

I don't think Giratina is based on an animal, it looks like some sort of eldritch dragon

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Giratina's got some centipede in it, but it looks a lot like a bobbit worm as well.

As mentioned, I think Giratina's too alien a being to be compared to any animal.

I don't think we've had a sea spider or sea snake Pokemon yet, or a cockroach. Oh, and we've actually a nudibranch in the form of the Shellos line

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Agreed. Plus Keldeo is a legendery and not accessable to everyone. We need a normal unicorn that can fly :3

I've always thought that Rapidash was based off of a unicorn. It does a good job fitting the description. We definitely need a sea urchin. Alola is the perfect place to introduce is to one. I'd also love to see something based off of a moose. Moose pretty much are the only animals with antlers we still don't have.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
There are lots of animals and mythical creatures I'd love to see have a Pokémon variant, but I think a Peacock is something I want to see the most. They could make it into something very beautiful.

Polipuff

Artisan of Words
How about a flamingo? I don't know any Pokemon that looks like a flamingo yet. However, with Alola, we might see one.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've always thought that Rapidash was based off of a unicorn. It does a good job fitting the description. We definitely need a sea urchin. Alola is the perfect place to introduce is to one. I'd also love to see something based off of a moose. Moose pretty much are the only animals with antlers we still don't have.

Since they introduced a sea cucumber Pokemon, it wouldn't be surprising if a sea urchin Pokemon shows up. It better be Water/Poison type though

layla413

I'm agree on the hummingbird. i's an obvious and overlooked choice and the new gen has a woodpecker now and that's pretty cool but still...also the orca/legit dolphin would also be awesome (since orca are actually dolphins and not whales)

monkerz

Trex in Training
I have been wanting a dolphin pokemon since gen 3. They already have whale pokemons and even sand castles! And next region takes place in Hawaii so why not a dolphin? ಥ_ಥ

Cevil

I want to see a unicorn Pokémon. Keldeo is the closest we have at the moment but imo I don't think it's very close.

In my opinion, that's what Rapidash's Alola form should be like (if there even will be one introduced in the near future). A pure fairy or fairy/flying unicorn Pokemon.

I also believe that the Chinese Dragon should be a Pokemon, but have two forms.

1. A pure stone form. This is the form it starts out as, (it has a high base stat total of 680, but needs to wait a few turns before its power is ready) and is a rock type Pokemon. It has extremely high defence and special defence (250 each, I know it sounds ridiculously powerful but please listen) however once it's ready, it can swap over its previously high defences for attack power, when it enters its dragon form.

2. A fire dragon form. After the previous turns as a slow, weak but bulky statue, it is now an extremely fast and powerful sweeper. It's typing should be fire/dragon, and it should be a legendary Pokemon encountered only once at some sort of ancient valley, where it is always a statue until it eventually comes alive upon being summoned. The dragon itself should be similar to Rayquaza base-stat wise, having high attack and special defence, decent speed and somewhat good survivability.

Also I'd love an angler fish-like Pokemon, that can only be found in the depths of the ocean and is a water/dark or water/electric type (due to its bulb counting as a light source, which relates to electricity? I don't know).

monkerz

Trex in Training
Also I'd love an angler fish-like Pokemon, that can only be found in the depths of the ocean and is a water/dark or water/electric type (due to its bulb counting as a light source, which relates to electricity? I don't know).

I think that is lanturn/chinchou. Unless you are thinking more towards an alternate form that looks more sinister.

Cevil

I think that is lanturn/chinchou. Unless you are thinking more towards an alternate form that looks more sinister.

Yeah, I was thinking something that had large teeth protruding from its jaws, and had large, glowing red eyes (similar to Sharpedo) and females would be a lot bigger and stronger, while males would be tiny and like parasites.

Nin10nerd

Living in bliss!
Yeah, I was thinking something that had large teeth protruding from its jaws, and had large, glowing red eyes (similar to Sharpedo) and females would be a lot bigger and stronger, while males would be tiny and like parasites.

We do have Bruxish this gen. :D Of course that fish doesn't seem to be getting much love...

monkerz

Trex in Training
We do have Bruxish this gen. :D Of course that fish doesn't seem to be getting much love...

I love Bruxish! I think it is supposed to represent the Hawaiian state fish ie the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (try saying that one out loud!) or the reef trigger fish. Though it looks more like a cross between that fish and the parrot fish because of the colors.

Would love to see a sea anemone pokemon / clown fish combo too.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In my opinion, that's what Rapidash's Alola form should be like (if there even will be one introduced in the near future). A pure fairy or fairy/flying unicorn Pokemon.

I also believe that the Chinese Dragon should be a Pokemon, but have two forms.

1. A pure stone form. This is the form it starts out as, (it has a high base stat total of 680, but needs to wait a few turns before its power is ready) and is a rock type Pokemon. It has extremely high defence and special defence (250 each, I know it sounds ridiculously powerful but please listen) however once it's ready, it can swap over its previously high defences for attack power, when it enters its dragon form.

2. A fire dragon form. After the previous turns as a slow, weak but bulky statue, it is now an extremely fast and powerful sweeper. It's typing should be fire/dragon, and it should be a legendary Pokemon encountered only once at some sort of ancient valley, where it is always a statue until it eventually comes alive upon being summoned. The dragon itself should be similar to Rayquaza base-stat wise, having high attack and special defence, decent speed and somewhat good survivability.

I thought Rayquaza's design was based off of the Chinese Dragon.