• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals that aren't Pokemon yet V2

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
We have a hippopotamus in Hipppowdon, but I don't think we have one that's water based yet. I could definitely see a future water starter being a hippo since GF doesn't generally like to make water starers fish pokemon.

Also, I don't think we have a jackal pokemon yet either. Lucario looks a bit like a jackal, but I think he's based more off of the Egyptian God Anubis than a proper jackal.

Also, I don't think we have a flamingo or an emu pokemon yet either.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
We have a hippopotamus in Hipppowdon, but I don't think we have one that's water based yet. I could definitely see a future water starter being a hippo since GF doesn't generally like to make water starers fish pokemon.

Also, I don't think we have a jackal pokemon yet either. Lucario looks a bit like a jackal, but I think he's based more off of the Egyptian God Anubis than a proper jackal.
Slowpoke's at least got a partial resemblance to a hippo, and is water type. Maybe it's not a dead-on hippo, but I'd say it fits the bill.

As for jackals, I'd say they probably pose a similar problem to other canines like coyotes or dingoes; they can pretty easily get lost in the shuffle with all the other canine pokémon that look like feral/wild canines. Would you say manectric's a wolf? Coyote? German shepherd? Maned wolf? Apart from purebred dogs, most canines look pretty similar, to the point that it can be hard to single out one of them for a pokémon inspiration. I guess possible distinction could be made by invoking cultural significance (like how zoroark doesn't look particularly foxlike, but it's probably safe to call it a fox pokémon because its design has kitsune references), which in the jackal's case, Anubis would probably be the clearest choice (though apparently the golden "jackal" Anubis's image was modelled after isn't actually a jackal, so not even that?). I guess there's still the chance to make one that's an allusion to some lesser known African folklore or something similar (which would be fine by me, Pokémon could use more Africa), but canine pokémon are still common to a point that it would need a lot to stand out (fennekin was actually pretty original, but it still came off a bit of a dead horse at first, being the third fire type fox pokémon, with there already being two of them from the get go).

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
Slowpoke's at least got a partial resemblance to a hippo, and is water type. Maybe it's not a dead-on hippo, but I'd say it fits the bill.

As for jackals, I'd say they probably pose a similar problem to other canines like coyotes or dingoes; they can pretty easily get lost in the shuffle with all the other canine pokémon that look like feral/wild canines. Would you say manectric's a wolf? Coyote? German shepherd? Maned wolf? Apart from purebred dogs, most canines look pretty similar, to the point that it can be hard to single out one of them for a pokémon inspiration. I guess possible distinction could be made by invoking cultural significance (like how zoroark doesn't look particularly foxlike, but it's probably safe to call it a fox pokémon because its design has kitsune references), which in the jackal's case, Anubis would probably be the clearest choice (though apparently the golden "jackal" Anubis's image was modelled after isn't actually a jackal, so not even that?). I guess there's still the chance to make one that's an allusion to some lesser known African folklore or something similar (which would be fine by me, Pokémon could use more Africa), but canine pokémon are still common to a point that it would need a lot to stand out (fennekin was actually pretty original, but it still came off a bit of a dead horse at first, being the third fire type fox pokémon, with there already being two of them from the get go).

I totally forgot about Slowpoke. Also as far as Manectric is concerned, I have been guessing at it for years and can't tell whether it's a jackal or a coyote. I'm leaning towards coyote but I don't really know. There are a few domestic dog breeds we don't have yet either. Labrador retriever and golden retriever come to mind as well as pomeranians and Chihuahuas .

Also I think it would cool for the next cat pokemon to be based off of the abyssinian breed.

Last edited:

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
We don't have a DODO. I want a dodo. A dumb flying bird with a op or terrible (mostly useless) ability and wired bst.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
We don't have a DODO. I want a dodo. A dumb flying bird with a op or terrible (mostly useless) ability and wired bst.
So, another farfetch'd then?

Doesn't sound too farfetched, really. *rimshot*

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
So, another farfetch'd then?

Doesn't sound too farfetched, really. *rimshot*

Get out.

A few days ago I got the idea of a "route 1" bird Pokémon that evolves into a vicious water/dragon type Canadian goose. GF please.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Get out.

A few days ago I got the idea of a "route 1" bird Pokémon that evolves into a vicious water/dragon type Canadian goose. GF please.
So, swablu, but more common and no compound ice weakness when it evolves? Sounds pretty cool.

A conch pokémon might be cool. Especially if given a bunch of sound moves to reference its being blown.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Still no dolphin Pokemon Game Freak? Really?

I'm also still waiting on an earthworm Pokemon, you'd think that would've happened by now.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If they want to add more Bug/Fire Pokemon, a bomadier beetle would be a good choice. Or a fire ant, though that'd probably just be a Durant variant

Orphalesion

I still wanna see Sigumori's peacock.

I'm also still waiting on an earthworm Pokemon, you'd think that would've happened by now.

Oh my god, yes! I So badly want an earthworm Pokemon! It could go on to evolve into one of those giant sand-worms from various fantasy/scifi settings. First Bug/Dragon line?

Samurott is partly based on a narwhal.

How so? it has a horn on its forehead, that's really just a thorn of the conch it wears as a helmet. There's literally nothing that even remotely hints at a narwhal.

Narwhals Do Not Have Horns and especially Not on their Fore Heads they have a tusk that grows through the tip of their snout. Japanese designers would know that due to their high school biology classes being obsessed with random lists of animals and plants.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Tartigrade Pokémon. It sounds absurd, but it'll be fun.

Make it Bug/Steel with Flash Fire. Something as indestructible as the water bear shouldn't have a single defensive weakness when put in Pokemon

traps

Is computer nerd considered an animal?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Make it Bug/Steel with Flash Fire. Something as indestructible as the water bear shouldn't have a single defensive weakness when put in Pokemon
No weakness to heat or cold would probably be a nice nod certainly but I don't know about no weaknesses period. Water bears are very resilient but its not like their bodies are any better able to handle physical damage from teeth or claws than other creatures. And while they can live through extreme conditions, while experiencing them they aren't really able to do anything more than survive them (i.e. its not like they can move around while experiencing extreme water loss and such, they basically enter a state of stasis and wait for conditions to improve).

XXD17

Draco rex
A Pokemon based on the Egyptian Sphinx would be cool. Give it an Ability that had it ask a question in battle in between turns and if the answer is incorrect, it strikes and damages its opponent and does nothing if answered correctly. It asks the opponent's Pokemon the question and randomly chooses if it's right or wrong. And give it the Ground typing to represent the Great Sphinx.

Absol is rather sphinxish. Sure, it doesn't have an egyptian vibe, but it's a rather feliform creature with a human-like face...its mega even has "wings"...

Fearow isn't based off a crane. It is designed after a stork. There's a difference between the two types of birds. Cranes are found in area with small bodies of water and don't fly long distances. Storks can be found in aquatic areas but also live in drier places as well. And Fearow has been said to be able to fly long distances in a single day. Which is why Skarmory doesn't count as a type of crane when you consider the areas where it can be found.

I think fearow is more so based on an anhinga or darter...these birds impale their prey with their long sharp bills, which lends itself to dearie' drill beak...cranes and storks all have really long legs...the closest we have is dodrio and that's supposed to be a ratite mish-mash.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
No weakness to heat or cold would probably be a nice nod certainly but I don't know about no weaknesses period. Water bears are very resilient but its not like their bodies are any better able to handle physical damage from teeth or claws than other creatures. And while they can live through extreme conditions, while experiencing them they aren't really able to do anything more than survive them (i.e. its not like they can move around while experiencing extreme water loss and such, they basically enter a state of stasis and wait for conditions to improve).

Pokemon animals exaggerate their real life counterparts though.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
The Opabina still isn't a Pokemon, unfortunately.
An elephant-like creature with the Opabina's mouth as it's trunk would be an amazing basis for a Pokemon.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
I would really like a squid. Like a proper giant squid. With tentacles and suckers.
The more life like the better. IMO lol

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I would really like a squid. Like a proper giant squid. With tentacles and suckers.
The more life like the better. IMO lol

We're half-way there thanks to Inkay and Malamar

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I still wanna see Sigumori's peacock.

wat. OwO'

Regarding the dodo and manatee points, Doduo is definitely a stylized moa, kiwi and dodo bird amalgamation. Farfetch'd, as has been pointed out in thread already, has the ecological references to the dodo's plight in it's Dex entries. And as for manatees, don't you guys think we have enough aquatic fat mammals? Dewgongs, Walreins, Samurotts, Kyogres, Wailmers, and now Primarina. I know none of those are directly manatees, but we're inundated with these guys. We've got like three versions of seals, and while Dewgong is controversially more of harp seal, you at least get the name.

I do like that idea about (another Water/Poison) sea snake! Now that Corrosion is an ability, that seems very fitting. Maybe even Poison Touch and Merciless! Make it the Poison-type 2.0 with something always revolving around Poison status. Plus, there's too few black/white coloration Pokémon in Pokémon. Off the top of my head, Gothirita, Unown, Furfou, Xurkitree, Blitzle, Glalie, Absol, Pangoro- WHATEVER, we need more!