• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Animals with no Pokemon Counterparts

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Figured this might be fun, to compile a list of distinctive animal species or general types that have not yet been made into pokemon. Prehistoric animals are excluded for the simple reason that we usually only get a few of those per generation of games.

One quick look through one of my more extensive animal encyclopedias and the following list was born. It should make for a good reply to anyone who thinks pokemon is running short on animals to base them on.

Feel free to note if I've made any mistakes in the list, and of course add animals not on it that you think would make good, distinctive, pokemon.

So without further delay here are a bunch of visually highly distinct animals species or groups that have not yet been made into pokemon:

<><><>

MAMMALS:

Platypus

Echidna (Cyndaquil looks more like a tenrec or shrew)

Opossum

Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian Tiger

Koala

Wombat

Manatee

Naked Mole Rat

Capybara

Colugo (flying lemur)

Aye Aye

Wolverine

Llama

Moose

Giraffe (Girafarig is more an okapi)

Oryx or gazelle or some other lightly built antelope

Dolphin

<><><>

BIRDS:

Cassowary

Hummingbird

Turkey

Albatross

Flamingo

Crane/Egret

Puffin

Swift

Kingfisher

Hornbill

Woodpecker (new bird we saw the schematic for may be one)

Toucan

<><><>

REPTILES:

Snapping turtle

Anaconda (I always saw Serperior as more of python)

There are admittedly lots of snakes that could be done, but as pokemon making them physically distinct might prove difficult.

Flying lizard

Thorny devil

Iguana

Monitor Lizard/Komodo Dragon

<><><>

AMPHIBIANS

Spiny newt

Flying frog

Rain frog (something small and cute compared to Seismitoad)

<><><>

FISH:

Hagfish

Sawfish

Thresher shark

Stingray

Knifefish

Moray eel

Tigerfish

Pike/Barracuda

Salmon

Tripodfish

Flying Fish

Oarfish

Swordfish/Marlin

<><><>

INVERTEBRATES:

Earthworm

Leech

Velvet worm

Springtail

Stick insect

Termite

Cockroach

Giant water bug/Water beetle

Treehopper

Lantern fly

Earwig

Backswimmer

Assassin bug

Stink bug

Flea

Robber fly

Mantis shrimp

Spider crab

Robber crab

Horseshoe crab

Solpugid (sun spider)

Harvestman (daddy long legs)

Cuttlefish

<><><>

Obviously I don’t expect examples of most or even a lot of these specific animals to come out in Sun and Moon but I do have hope that a number of them will. Honestly I also hope pokemon will continue what it has done so well in the past by combining various animals into a particular pokemon.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Crow? Murkrow and Honchkrow would like to talk

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Giant salamander

Quagsire has something to say

Horseshoe crab

Isn't Kabuto a Horseshoe crab?

Other animals that could be a Pokémon would be:

Mammals:

- Tiger (You may count Raikou as a tiger and it's most likely that Litten's final evolution will be a tiger)
- Cheetah
- Ring-tailed lemur
- Black and rufous Elephant shrew
- Porpoise
- Beluga whale
- Orca/Killer Whale (Kyogre might have his basis as an orca but maybe a more proper orca would be best.
- Quokka

Birds:

- Northern Bald Ibis
- Shoebill
- Kestrel

Reptiles:

- Tuatara
- Marine Iguana
- Galapagos giant tortoise

Fish:

- Parrot fish
- Goblin Shark
- Whale Shark

Invertebrates:

- House fly
- Bombadeer beetle
- Sea cucumber

As for extinct animals:

Mammals:

- Basilosaurus
- Entelodont
- Quagga
- Indricothere
- Chalicothere
- Leptictidium
- Ambulocetus
- Woolly Rhinoceros
- Megaloceros/Giant Elk
- Gigantopithecus

Birds:

- Phorusrhacos/Terror Bird
- Dodo
- Elephant bird
- Moa
- Argentavis

Reptiles / Dinosaurs:

- Gorgonopsid
- Scutosaurus
- Dimetrodon
- Lystrosaurus
- Euparkeria
- Coelophysis
- Plateosaurus
- Postosuchus
- Placerias
- Stegosaurus
- Iguanodon
- Liopleurodon
- Allosaurus
- Velociraptor
- Oviraptor
- Therizinosaurus
- Deinocheirus
- Spinosaurus
- Sarcosuchus
- Baryonyx
- Edmontosaurus
- Parasaurolophus
- Pteranodon
- Quatzalcoatlus
- Pristichampsus
- Kaprosuchus

Amphibians:

- Diplocaulus
- Eryops
- Tiktaalik

Fish:

- Megalodon shark
- Leedsichthys
- Dunkleosteus
- Cephalaspis

Invertebrates:

- Opabinia
- Trilobite
- Eurypterid/Sea scorpion
- Orthocone

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Crow? Murkrow and Honchkrow would like to talk

Quagsire has something to say
I knew there would be a few mistakes, duly noted and edited.

Isn't Kabuto a Horseshoe crab?
Actually I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be a trilobite, just as Omanyte is a ammonite (making them a duo of extremely common prehistoric invertebrates).

- Tiger (You may count Raikou as a tiger and it's most likely that Litten's final evolution will be a tiger)
- Cheetah
- Ring-tailed lemur
- Black and rufous Elephant shrew
- Porpoise
- Beluga whale
- Orca/Killer Whale (Kyogre might have his basis as an orca but maybe a more proper orca would be best.
- Quokka

Birds:

- Northern Bald Ibis
- Shoebill
- Kestrel

Reptiles:

- Tuatara
- Marine Iguana
- Galapagos giant tortoise

Fish:

- Parrot fish
- Goblin Shark
- Whale Shark

Invertebrates:

- House fly
- Bombadeer beetle
- Sea cucumber
Good ideas but some of them might be too specific. Like the kestrel, we already have multiple falcon-inspired pokemon so a kestrel wouldn't be all that distinctive.

As for extinct animals:
Don't get me wrong, there are tons of prehistoric animals that would make a amazing pokemon. But my hopes aren't that high for getting more than a few per generation, namely the fossil duo and a few "modern" pokemon with characteristics of prehistoric creatures (Mamoswine, Yanmega).

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
What about the Potoo? For those of you who don't know, the Potoo is a bird famous for looking terribly disturbed all the time. Tumblr is quite fond of it.

Seriously - look at this thing, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't based a Pokemon off of one of these things yet!

Scary-Potoo.jpg

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Hammerhead, and it's an animal I've been waiting to see for quite some time.

Also the wolverine, peacock, mimic octopus, and goblin shark.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Japanese Spider Crab. Turning that thing into a pokemon would make it look normal.

raichu27

I think a wolf, bobcat, emu, housefly, mosquito(Bug/Poison), violet goby(dragon fish), regular ant, and a fire ant Pokemon would be nice to see.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Hammerhead, and it's an animal I've been waiting to see for quite some time.
Well we've long had Garchomp as a hammerhead shark dragon, pokemon likes to combine more than one creature in its designs (like how Sharpedo is a most likely a great white and a mola mola fish combined together). But an aquatic hammerhead pokemon would still be cool.

And I just remembered that Mega Sharpedo gets a retractable sawfish saw added to its design, making it three animals in one.

Edit: And with Nekkoala revealed we now have a koala pokemon!

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Japanese Spider Crab. Turning that thing into a pokemon would make it look normal.

The tubeworms would be considered too weird for Pokemon. Don't even get me started on the siphonophore, which looks like Cthulhu's hairball

Sprinter1988

How about these:

Mammals:
Narwhal
Snow Leopard
Musk Oxen
Sperm Whale
Fruit Bat

Birds
Snowy Owl
Peafowl (the male could have Intimidate because of its tail, kind of like Masquerain and its wings)
Secretary bird

Reptiles
Green Basilisk Lizard

Fish
Basking Shark
Marbled Electric Ray (We need a water/electric type that isn't Lanturn or Rotom Wash)
Stonefish
Clownfish

RedJirachi

Veteran member
We have a fruit bat in the Woobat line...and Rouge the Bat, who's the only other fictional version of the fruit bat I've seen. On another note, we don't have an eel Pokemon yet. Eelektross is easy to mistake and has traits of an electric eel, but its the similarly shaped lamprey

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
There is no dolphin Pokémon yet. Sun & Moon would be the perfect Gen to have a dolphin Pokémon because it's based off Hawaii. I've wanted a dolphin Pokémon for years.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I still want to see a Wolverine Pokemon so bad! I like Wolverines a lot. Maybe someday we'll finally see a Wolverine Pokemon, but I doubt we do in Gen 7. Who knows, though.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There is no dolphin Pokémon yet. Sun & Moon would be the perfect Gen to have a dolphin Pokémon because it's based off Hawaii. I've wanted a dolphin Pokémon for years.

Kyogre...may be an example. It might be based on a killer orca, though the Leviathan part makes it ambiguous

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Not a real world animal but I do want a pokémon based on a Pegasus. It really surprises me we haven't get one yet.

As for the others: tiger, cheetah, jaguar and a wolf

As for extinct animals/dinos: an actual triceratops (yeah, there's Bastiodon but he doesn't have like the "classic", three horned look), sabretooth tiger and a velociraptor.

Sprinter1988

We have a fruit bat in the Woobat line...and Rouge the Bat, who's the only other fictional version of the fruit bat I've seen. On another note, we don't have an eel Pokemon yet. Eelektross is easy to mistake and has traits of an electric eel, but its the similarly shaped lamprey

No, Woobat is based on the Honduran White Bat. The Fruit Bats I refer to are the Old World Fruit Bats, like the Egyptian Fruit Bat and the Spectacled Flying Fox.

As for eels, what about Huntail and Gorebyss? Huntail is a mix of Moray eel and Gulper eel while Gorebyss is mostly a Snipe eel

RedJirachi

Veteran member
No, Woobat is based on the Honduran White Bat. The Fruit Bats I refer to are the Old World Fruit Bats, like the Egyptian Fruit Bat and the Spectacled Flying Fox.

As for eels, what about Huntail and Gorebyss? Huntail is a mix of Moray eel and Gulper eel while Gorebyss is mostly a Snipe eel

Oh. OH. And yeah...dang, I forgot those Pokemon existed.