• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Awards 2014

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
OKAY! Since we're almost done the two thousand and fourteenth year since, uh, something, I think it's time for us to give stupid awards to anime. (yes I'm just copy + pasting this from last year)

Best Adaptation:
Worst Adaptation:
Best Original Series:
Best Soundtrack:
Best Opening:
Worst Opening:
Best Ending:
Worst Ending:
Most Disappointing:
Most Pleasant Surprise:
Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007):
Best Old Show YOU Watched (pre-2007):
Best Character (male):
Best Character (female):
Most Sexy:
Most Moé:
Worst Character:
Funniest Episode:
Best Animation Quality:
Worst Animation Quality:
Best Voice:
Best OVA:
Best Movie:
Best Studio:

Single Best Episode of 2014:

Worst Anime of 2014:

Anime of the Winter 2014 (ending):

Anime of the Winter 2014:
Anime of the Spring 2014:
Anime of the Summer 2014:
Anime of the Fall 2014:

Anime of the Fall (starting):

Anime of the Year 2014:

I gave Fall and Winter two bits each because of the anime that often get split into two halves between years.

Give awards to whatever you like. You don't even have to do all of them, just do whatever. Divide them into seasons! Add your own! Best Anime Featuring Dogs in Hoodies! Any award you wanna give, go for it. If you can't decide add a runner-up!

Admittedly I didn't watch that much this year. Compared to 2013 and 2012 I picked up less and less.

Best Adaptation: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
David Productions pumped a lot of love into the 2012 Jojo series and none of that was lost here. Even minute details from the manga that aren't given enough time to expand on in the TV anime are present. It's a classic manga in modern animated glory.
Runner-up: Nisekoi

Worst Adaptation: Persona 4 The Golden Animation
By no means a terrible adaptation, there were a lot of things I actually liked with this one. The problem is this isn't a Persona 4 Golden adaptation. It's an adaptation of Marie and Adachi's Social Links sprinkled with highlights of the added Golden features. The complete lack of focus on the rest of the P4 cast makes it no longer feel like Persona. Also after a few episodes the budget died out and it looked worse than the 2011 anime series.

Best Original Series: Space Dandy
What a ride. Dandy was oozing with style and fun that just about everyone can enjoy. Each episode was interesting in it's own way, and that's what makes it the most original of all.

Best Soundtrack: Persona 4 The Golden Animation
Despite what I said earlier about P4GA, I can't deny how much I love the music of Persona 4.
Runner-up: Hunter x Hunter

Best Opening: STAND PROUD - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
I wasn't too fond of Stand Proud initially but it grew on me a lot. I listen to this one all the time on my iPod. Those visuals are also incredible with sound effects and style everywhere.
Runner-up: Heavenly Blue - Aldnoah.Zero

Worst Opening: Claris singing about whatever who cares - Nisekoi
I really dislike Claris.

Best Ending: Hyori Ittai - Hunter x Hunter
Really tempted to just give this to Jojo for fun, but Hyori Ittai is just TOO GOOD. It was so good it was used for two ending sequences both utilizing different portions of the song. It brings out so much raw emotion and memories of the stellar Chimera Ant Arc and Election Arc that I can't ignore it.
Runner-up: Tonari no Seki-kun

Worst Ending: Mirai Night - Seitokai Yakuindomo*
SYD's first season had an infectious, catchy ending theme that made me stick around through the credits every time. Obviously I was pumped to see what they'd pull out for the second season. I wasn't expecting something better, but at least something good. They didn't even try though. And that's the biggest disappointment of all.

Most Disappointing: Golden Time
What a train wreck that turned out to be, right guys? It started with Ghost Banri but then just spiraled downwards from there. For a story that started off as a romcom set in college it quickly became the least relatable romance story I've ever seen.
Runner-up: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren

Most Pleasant Surprise: Tonari no Seki-kun
I initially avoided this show because I didn't think the premise would hold. I only tried it out after hearing a recommendation say that Seki actually glares at the girl watching him for some reason. That sort of chemistry got me interested and before I knew it I would look forward to this gem every week. The best thing it did was probably help fill the void that Nichijou left behind with it's wacky school comedy.
Runner-up: Aldnoah.Zero

Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007): Yuyushiki
It is a crime that Yuyushiki does not have another season. The animation is above what you'd expect and the comedy feels more real than most in it's genre. Typically such series rely on gags based on defined character traits. This girl's afraid of __, this girl likes to eat a lot, this girl is smitten with __. Yuyushiki feels more legitimate. It's like listening to the dumb non-conversations I would have with friends in high school only to end up saying "Hey, let's play some Smash Bros."

Best Old Show YOU Watched (pre-2007): Gintama
Technically this started in 2006 so I'm putting it here. Most of the episodes I consider the best great are past 2007 but I didn't really watch much old anime in 2014 so yeah. Anyways Gintama is spectacular in ways words can't even describe. It's does so many things at once and almost all of them extremely well. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

Best Character (male): Hikari Sakishima - Nagi no Asukara
How to turn a bratty kid into a respectable protagonist: The character. This is the development I love, one that not only visibly changes how the character acts, but how the viewer feels about them. For as much as the show said Hikari stayed the same after such a radical setting change, we really got to see him grow up, and that was awesome.

Best Character (female): Rumi Yokoi - Tonai no Seki-kun
Yokoi is such a fun character and really is what makes the show so great. Her reactions and voice are spot on, Kana Hanazawa did a good job as her.

Most Sexy: Isuzu Sento - Amagi Brilliant Park

Most Moé: Chiyo Sakura - Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Worst Character: Shirou Emiya- Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blades Works
ufotable didn't help. I still ****ing hate Shirou.

Funniest Episode: Amagi Brilliant Park Episode 5: Not Enough Money!
This is the slapstick Fumoffu stuff I missed! From start to finish this one is a joy.
Runner-up: Space Dandy Episode 4: Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby

Best Animation Quality: Amagi Brilliant Park
Runner-up: Nagi no Asukara

Worst Animation Quality: Persona 4 The Golden Animation

Best Voice: Miyuki Sawashiro
Runner-up: Ari Ozawa (Chiyo from Nozaki-kun)

Best OVA: Kill la Kill

Best Movie: Tamako Love Story

Best Studio: Kyoto Animation
This one is for the abundance of fan service this year. Sequel to Chuu2. Sequel to Free!. Theatrical conclusion to Tamako Market. Return to that FMP-style comedy with AmaBuri. Loads and loads of sexy fan service, for all sorts of audiences.

Single Best Episode of 2014: Kill la Kill Episode 24: Past the Infinite Darkness
I really wanted to give this to Hunter x Hunter. I really wanted to. But I can't deny my love for Trigger and all things hype. Every minute is filled with at least one, two, or three jaw-dropping moments. All the songs are there. All the stops are pulled. It's the final battle to end all final battles just shy of Gurren Lagann itself. It's a love letter to all of TRIGGER and old-Gainax's fans out there, the ones who crave that exact flair of stylish action and hype that only they can provide.
Runner-up: Hunter x Hunter Episode 116: Revenge x And x Recovery

Worst Anime of 2014: Golden Time

Anime of the Winter 2014 (ending): Kill la Kill

Anime of the Winter 2014: Hunter x Hunter
Runner-up: Silver Spoon 2
Anime of the Spring 2014: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Runner-up: Hunter x Hunter
Anime of the Summer 2014: Hunter x Hunter
Runner-up: Aldnoah.Zero
Anime of the Fall 2014: Amagi Brilliant Park
No Runner-up

Anime of the Year 2014: Hunter x Hunter
Kill la Kill 24 might have been my choice over Hunter x Hunter 116, but HxH 116 and 131 beat it out completely. Also considering the perfect conclusion to the Chimera Ant Arc and the amazing Election Arc, this pretty much dominates the entire year. I'm so glad I picked this up back in 2011, it's been such a great ride, I'm sad it's all over.
Runner-up: Kill la Kill

Airi-Chan

Falling Roses
[[spoil]

Best Adaptation: Love Stage!!
Worst Adaptation: ?
Best Original Series: Orenchi Jijou de Furou
Best Soundtrack: Akuma no Riddle
Best Opening: Ling Tosite Sigure - Unravel (Tokyo Ghoul OP) (runner up is Jin feat, Maria from Gardnidelia - Daze [Mekakucity Actors OP])
Worst Opening: ?
Best Ending: STYLE FIVE - Future Fish (Free! Eternal Summer ED)
Worst Ending: ?
Most Disappointing: Aldnoah Zero
Most Pleasant Surprise: Haikyuu!, (runner up : Dramatical Murder and Hanayamata)
Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007): Kuroko no Basket
Best Old Show YOU Watched (pre-2007): Digimon Savers (runner up : Dennou Boukenki Webdiver )
Best Character (male): Ken Kaneki (Tokyo Ghoul) (runner up : Konoha from Mekakucity Actors and the third is Aoba Seragaki from DRAMAtical Murder)
Best Character (female): Maki Nishikino (Love Live!!) (runner up : Tokaku Azuma from Akuma no Riddle, the third is Ene/Takane Enomoto from Mekakucity
Most Sexy: Isuke Inukai (Akuma no Riddle)
Most Moé: Marry Kozakura (Mekakucity Actors) (runner up : Hana F. Founstainland from Hanayamata)
Worst Character: Toka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
Funniest Episode: Tokyo Ghoul episode 4
Best Animation Quality: Akuma no Riddle
Worst Animation Quality: Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
Best Voice: Mamoru Miyano
Best OVA: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun OVA
Best Movie: Doraemon Stand By Me
Best Studio: A-1 Pictures

Single Best Episode of 2014: Tokyo Ghoul episode 12 : Ghoul

Worst Anime of 2014: Aldnoah Zero

Anime of the Winter 2014 (ending): Kill La Kill

Anime of the Winter 2014: Noragami
Anime of the Spring 2014: Haikyuu! (runnner up : Akuma no Riddle , Mekakucity Actors, and Love Live! Season 2-tied)
Anime of the Summer 2014: Tokyo Ghoul (runner up : Free! Eternal Summer and DRAMAtical Murder-tied)
Anime of the Fall 2014: Psycho Pass Season 2

Anime of the Year 2014: Tokyo Ghoul
[/spoil]

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I didn't watch much after the summer becuase of the sheer amount of games coming out so i'll keep this very shot.

Best Animation Quality: No Game No Life - It's not even debatable. Stop lying to yourselves.
Best Ending: Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj2hbwKV7VQ - Fact again.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Okay, looks like this'll be my first time submitting something like this since I watched more anime this year. This was hard to fill out (especially when it came to the music parts because I have that habit of skipping openings and endings if they didn't click with me), though I'm glad I didn't have to do all of the categories. Quite a few ties, though, because I just can't decide.

Best Adaptation: Parasyte / JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

Worst Adaptation: Pupa

Best Original Series: Space☆Dandy

Best Opening: ALL OF THEM - Yowamushi Pedal and Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road / "Viva Namida" - Space☆Dandy
Runner-up(s): "STAND PROUD" - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders / "Let Me Hear" - Parasyte

Worst Opening: "Troublemaker" - Himegoto / "Virtue and Vice" - Gokukoku no Brynhildr

Best Ending: "Walk Like an Egyptian" - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Runner-up: "Set Them Free" - Tonari no Seki-kun

Worst Ending: "Ai wo Sagashite: In Search of Lost Love" - Karen Senki

Most Disappointing: Golden Time / Z/X: Ignition / Karen Senki

Most Pleasant Surprise: Selector Infected/Spread WIXOSS

Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007): Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Best Old Show(s) YOU Watched (pre-2007): Solty Rei / Gunsmith Cats

Best Character (male): Jean-Pierre Polnareff - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Runner-up(s): Yuuki Aito - Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation / Shinichi Izumi - Parasyte / Dandy - Space☆Dandy

Best Character (female): Rumi Yokoi - Tonai no Seki-kun
Runner-up: Miou Ootori - Sabegebu!

Most Sexy: Kyouya Sata - Wolf Girl and Black Prince

Most Moé: Noel - Sora no Method

Worst Character: Erena Mochizuki - Girlfriend (Kari)

Funniest Episode: "I Can't Be the Only One, Baby" - Space☆Dandy

Best Animation Quality: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure / Ping Pong: The Animation
Runner-up: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

Worst Animation Quality: Pupa

Best Voice: Every one of the main cast from the dub of Space☆Dandy please don't make me choose!
Runner-up: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka - Yuuki Aito

Best OVA: Kill la Kill even though it's listed as a special
Runner-up: WataMote OVA

Best Movie: Appleseed Alpha

Worst Anime of 2014: Pupa
Runner-up(s): Himegoto / Girlfriend (Kari)

Anime of the Winter 2014: Noragami
Runner-up: Hoozuki no Reitetsu

Anime of the Spring 2014: Ping Pong: The Animation
Runner-up(s): JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders / Isshuukan Friends

Anime of the Summer 2014: Space☆Dandy second season
Runner-up: Free! Eternal Summer

Anime of the Fall 2014: Parasyte
Runner-up: Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road

Anime of the Year 2014: Space☆Dandy

Last edited:

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Best Adaptation: Either D-Frag! or Jojo
D-Frag, because it was hilarious, but Jojo because Jojo. It's a pretty hard decision

Worst Adaptation: Akame ga Kill!
I had hope from White Fox, but they did that anime only ending and killed of Tatsumi. I was disgusted

Best Original Series: Aldnoah.Zero
Only original series I've really enjoyed this year. Space Dandy was fun, but not as good

Best Soundtrack: Aldnoah.Zero

Again, Aldnoah.Zero. It's just so good

Best Opening: Rashira

Unbiased? I'll go with Rashira from Barakamon. The buildup in the beginning is great, and the song is just amazing. Although 7-seven- from Nanatsu no Taizai is pretty cool, too

Biased? All 4 OP's by GARNiDEliA. Damn, I love her and I have no idea why. Also, anything by Spyair.

Worst Opening: Ignite
This is hard for me, since I usually enjoy openings and endings. IGNITE from Sword Art Online II is pretty bad, though. I can't really stand the singer, and the song isn't that great, but the visuals were amazing.

Best Ending: believe
Without a doubt, Kalafina's believe for Fate/stay night UBW. It just hits everything right for me.

Worst Ending: startear
Again, I'll go with Sword Art Online. startear is just not that fun for me.

Most Disappointing: Psycho-Pass 2
The question it posed near the end was great, but everything else wasn't. Disappointing sequel to a good show.

Most Pleasant Surprise: Either Barakamon or No Game No Life
I don't know or remember what I was expecting going into either of those shows, but after the first episode of each, I was hooked, and both are in my Top 20 Anime now.

Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007): Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Does a rewatch count? Really doesn't help I've only watched like 5 shows this year. Mostly Gundam. And I haven't gotten to my backlog since September. If it doesn't, I have nothing. I've really watched nothing this year. Kinda saddening. And next year seems like it'll be a rewatch year, because I wanna watch several shows again, and finish watching Gundam series. I've only really watched U.C, and even then, only the first 3 series

Best Old Show YOU Watched (pre-2007): Ginga Eiyuu Denetsu
So much. A certain characters death was one of the best death scene's I've ever seen. Oh, and the space battles. And character interactions. And people. Yang Wenli

Best Character (male): Shiro, from NGNL
This was a toughie, what with Dandy and Seishou Handa from Barakamon, but Shiro was a standout character.

Best Character (female): Surugu Kanbaru
Damnit, Monogatari, why you so good?!?!?!?!

Most Sexy: Surugu Kanbaru
PLOT, PLOT, Hanamonogatari, oh, and did I mention, PLOT?

Most Moé: Anyone from Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Damn, that show gave me diabetes bad. Favorite slice of life since Hidamari Sketch, and I hope it gets 4 seasons, as well. Or White Fox to make a sequel to Hataraku Maou-sama. Both were great shows.

Worst Character: Miyuki Shiba.
Without her, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei would've been ten times better. DAMNIT, WHY?

Funniest Episode: D-Frag episode 5
Any episode from D-Frag, would work, I chose a random one. Just nonstop humor, and it was amazing and an okay substitute for Gintama

Best Animation Quality: Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
Nothing else has the same animation quality, or even close. Sorry Kyoani, P.A Works, Shaft. All 3 of you usually stand out, but compared to ufotable, nope. Sorry

Worst Animation Quality: Log Horizon/Season 2
For a great show, the animation sucks. Which sucks, because it's a great show

Best Voice: Kana Hanazawa
Though both Miyuki Sawashiro and Hiroshi Kamiya are great, Kana Hanazawa appeared the most, and had possibly the best voices this year for me.

Best OVA:Kill la Kill
Only one I remember

Best Movie: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari
Going with one from last year, since I saw it this year. And what a great film. I really want to see it in HD, since it looks amazing in SD. And while high or something. Mostly to see how big of a freakout it would be, since it already seems LSD-inducing.

Best Studio: Madhouse
With Hunter x Hunter, Kisejuu, and No Game No Life, its the only one for me this year. Sorry everything else

Single Best Episode of 2014: Nagi no Asukara episode 13
Man, was that a good one. Made my jaw drop. Could not wait the two weeks for the next one.

Worst Anime of 2014: Glasslip
After NagiAsu, I expected something good from P.A Works. What I got however, was something bad. Really didn't like it.

Anime of Fall 2013 (ending): Kill la Kill
Nonstop everything made this show. One of the best shows ever, and easily the best first show a studio has put out.

Anime of Winter 2014: D-Frag!
Only really stand out show from Winter.

Anime of Spring 2014: No Game No Life
Easily. Nothing else could beat NGNL for me, even though Ping Pong the Animation, Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? and Mekakucity Actors were also airing and had my heart, too.

Anime of Summer 2014: Barakamon
I could put other things, but Barakamon was great. Amazing. Love it.

Anime of Fall 2014: Mushishi Zoku Shou Season 2
Had to mention this somewhere, and this seems like the best place. Great show, everyone should watch it.

Anime of Fall (starting): Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
This was a toughie. The 3 2-cour series I'm watching right now, are all very good, but sorry Log Horizon and Kisejuu, you weren't good enough.

Anime of the Year 2014: Toss up between Kill la Kill, NagiAsu, No Game No Life, and Barakamon
I'll decide later. Damnit

And I will shamelessly add another category

Favorite Long-runner: Space Bros
It was a tossup between this and Hunter x Hunter, but I have to give it to Space Bros. Easily one of the most inspiring series ever, and I can't wait for a sequel.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Best Adaptation: Nisekoi
Worst Adaptation: Pupa
Best Original Series: Free! Eternal Summer

Best Opening: "Dried Up Youthful Fame" by OLDCODEX
Best Ending: "FUTURE FISH" by STYLE FIVE

Most Disappointing: Aldnoah.Zero
Runner-up: Akame ga Kill!
Most Pleasant Surprise: Barakamon
Runner-up: Hanayamata

Best Recent Show YOU Watched (post-2007): Steins;Gate
Runner-up: Bakuman.

Best Character (male): Handa Seishuu from Barakamon
Runner-up: Matsuoka Rin from Free! Eternal Summer
Best Character (female): Sinon from Sword Art Online II
Most Sexy: Laevatein Loki from Kamigami no Asobi
Runner-up: Matsuoka Rin and Tachibana Makoto from Free! Eternal Summer
Most Moé: Hoto Kokoa from Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Runner-up: Kafuu Chino, Kirima Sharo, Tedeza Rize and Ujimatsu Chiya from Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?
Worst Character: Tsukiyama Shuu from Tokyo Ghoul

Best Animation Quality: Free! Eternal Summer
Runner-up: Sword Art Online II
Worst Animation Quality: Pupa

Worst Anime of 2014: Tokyo Ghoul

Anime of the Winter 2014 (ending): Kill la Kill
Anime of the Winter 2014: Nisekoi
Anime of the Spring 2014: No Game No Life
Anime of the Summer 2014: Free! Eternal Summer
Runner-up: Barakamon
Anime of the Fall 2014: Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji