• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Conventions

Zazie

So 1991
So does anyone here go to anime conventions?

If so, what are your favorite things to do at anime conventions?, What things about anime conventions do you dislike?

If you don't, feel free to stick around an talk anyway? Those of you who are curious can ask questions, or tell us why you don't go to conventions.

Anything else you want to say about the subject? Go right ahead, the questions above are just suggested topics.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'd like to go to one, though it's pretty expensive. The closest to an anime convention I've been to is the Pokémon Rocks America when I was about... 13? It was one of the last tours, so I'm sure it was 2005.

ForeverFlame

I try to go to Anime North and Fan Expo when I can, both in Toronto.

I went to Anime North when I was a teenager. Best convention I ever went to. Everyone was relatively normal, it was a really nice day outside, and I actually cosplayed for the first (and last) time. I also went with a bunch of friends and it was a great time.

I went to a couple in the states like NYAF and Anime Next, but it was just me and random people I knew online so it was fairly awkward (though I enjoyed myself for the most part), and I was nowhere near as enthusiastic for them as I was for Anime North (we drove to Toronto for the sole purpose of going to Anime North, while I was just in the neighbourhood for the other two). Yaoi paddles and vuvuzelas were quite prevalent.

One day I'm going to SDCC.

Zazie

So 1991
I'd like to go to one, though it's pretty expensive. The closest to an anime convention I've been to is the Pokémon Rocks America when I was about... 13? It was one of the last tours, so I'm sure it was 2005.

They can be expensive. I usually try to cut down costs by pre-registering with friends to get a group discount and splitting a hotel room 8-10 ways. That usually cuts down on costs by a lot.

Some conventions give you free admission and a sleeping space if you volunteer a certain amount of hours. (15-20 usually). It's a pretty good deal, but doing that much volunteering is taxing and you will miss quite a few things. I tried doing it last con I went to. It was fun, but I burned out at 17 hours, so I didn't get my free admission.

I go whenever one is in my area but somehow the bronies have got to them.

I remember the con I went to earlier this year. Bronies everywhere. Some people were really pissed.

I've only gone to a convention 3 times. I'm thinking of going to the same place a 4th time but not sure. Prices have gone up so that adds to my uncertainty. I like seeing cosplayers and tons of anime merchandise though, which is the main reason I go other than meeting up with friends. I'm still waiting for a convention year where I can try to cosplay too but when I have enough time to get/design a costume. I want to attend Fanime too to meet up with other friends.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I went to Anime North when I was a teenager. Best convention I ever went to. Everyone was relatively normal, it was a really nice day outside, and I actually cosplayed for the first (and last) time. I also went with a bunch of friends and it was a great time.

I always go with friends, it's good fun. This year was pretty hot. I got some minor burns and my one friend's face was beat red by the end of the day.

I go whenever one is in my area but somehow the bronies have got to them.

Anime North had so many bronies this year. It makes sense for some video game cosplayers to go since video games have a sort-of-strong connection to anime but MLP hardly has anything to do with anime. :\

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I always go with my friends. It's usually good fun, buy stuff, the odd game. Animé North this year felt so bland (though I did spend over 300 in Gundam models). I didn't notice the level 50 Pokémon tournament and from what I saw of the level 100 tournament (stupid in game levelling-up), they were all chumps who would easily lose at the demise of…SEPHIROTH…I mean Shedinja (long story short, mostly chumps who EV train were playing). I was nowhere in the majority league of the players in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament.

I always go with friends, it's good fun. This year was pretty hot. I got some minor burns and my one friend's face was beat red by the end of the day.
Yeah, sort of glad my Pitoo cosplay fell apart. I blame that animé character (you know who I'm talking about).

Anime North had so many bronies this year. It makes sense for some video game cosplayers to go since video games have a sort-of-strong connection to anime but MLP hardly has anything to do with anime. :\
Shut up, the show's awesome and everyone loves it! Why not cosplay as a pony at an animé con? So, got a better lame excuse that will ensure a good laugh? Keldeo cosplay anyone?

You know what really bugs be? People who cosplay as fan service characters. I can't believe they wore that in public! I think I recall seeing a Nami cosplayer who seemed to have gotten breast implants so she'd look more accurate to the character.

Deicario

I believe I can fly.
There are two major conventions (though one is more geared towards pop culture) that they hold in Western Australia yearly, that I attend most years. They're great fun, especially with mates, as mentioned, but I much prefer the anime-centric one, as its cheaper and generally a more positive and tight-knit atmosphere (though, admittedly, less guests). There were two or three separate groups of guys, this year, at the one convention who had cosplayed as sailor scouts, which was both horrifying and humorous. Probably a degree more horrifying.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Yeah, sort of glad my Pitoo cosplay fell apart. I blame that animé character (you know who I'm talking about).

Confused. Explain? Maybe I'm confused because I'm not sure what "Pitoo" is.

You know what really bugs be? People who cosplay as fan service characters. I can't believe they wore that in public! I think I recall seeing a Nami cosplayer who seemed to have gotten breast implants so she'd look more accurate to the character.

This is sarcasm right? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I go every year :)
Will be my 5-6th time this year. It's ALWAYS the weekend of my birthday x_X

Last year, i was Lyra and I went on stage shouting 'I'm PikaPal_Lyra from SEREBII FORUMS!!' lol..and someone saw me from here and now.... this year we'll meet up ^_^

I'd probably go as Amelia from Slayers this year c: nya~

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
The first ever convention I went to a friend of mine got me all hyped up telling me about a bunch of VAs that were going to be there, I of course completely forgot he only watched dubs so when I actually got there and had a look at the schedule and saw a bunch of English VAs I had never heard of I was quite disappointed. I did get my NGE set signed by Miyamura Yuko so it wasn't all bad. I'm quite envious of American conventions though, I see people going on about how they get to see FLOW live and I kinda wish I lived in America just for a day.

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
I want to go to at least one Kawaii Kon. I know a few who went and I get sad when I hear their stories about how much fun they had. :'(

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
You need a 3DS.

I disagree. 3DS won't have Persona 4.

No, I swear it looked like she had breast implants.

Yeah but you don't know if she did that specifically for the cosplay right? Unless she announced it for no reason.

I went to last year's Anime Boston for my first con (just on Sunday), and I returned there this year (for 2 days). It was quite a bit of fun both times. Remembering back to the VA roundup panel last year still cheers me up. :3

Confused. Explain? Maybe I'm confused because I'm not sure what "Pitoo" is.
From Kid Icarus: Uprising.