• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I recently saw that Shirobako got a dub this past October, so I dropped everything & I tried to watch the series ASAP. I wanted to see this show for years but I've been waiting for a dub to come out since I thought I would have trouble keeping up with the subs (like I did with Eizouken).

I've only seen a few so far but I love it! While some of the voices like Aoi seem a little off, the entire cast feels honest and genuine with their performances &, since I'm trying to get into animation myself, each episode feels like they're talking directly to me & my struggles T_T

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
An old 80's anime film previously dubbed by Manga Video in the UK is getting the redub treatment by Sentai Filmworks, Venus Wars:

This is Mike Haimoto's first ADR directing job, and judging from the clip, it shows. Although that could just be because the voice-actor himself, Adam Gibbs, is still relatively fresh in the industry (since 2014 if I'm not mistaken, and I'm only familiar with his role as Yuki Sanada of Tsuritama but his voice never stood out to me), and the clip starring just him isn't the best way to showcase it just because of the rocking soundtrack to the scene. Which is funny since the casting is fine, but a good actor can sound strained or have awkward line reads (like wrong enunciation/vocal tone shift) due to bad directing. The original dub wasn't peak quality, either, but Manga Entertainment dubs had a charm to them that helped them stand out from the crowd (and not just because they cussed like sailors every other sentence), and the voice-actors had a natural tone to them no matter how seasoned they were. Newer dubs sound too "sterile", if that makes any sense, think it stems from newer voice-actors coming in who don't have their own unique sound, they're almost homogeneous in tone since I guess nowadays they're all coming from similar areas with little variety.

However, Sentai tends to take better care to make sure their dubs are good when they do it, so until it comes out, my first impression is the clip honestly isn't all that impressive, but I like Luci Christian and David Matranga in anything they do and am looking forward to their roles (although if you ask me, I think Maggie Flecknoe and Luci must've gotten their roles switched). Venus Wars is frankly a disappointing film despite its setting and has only managed to stick around due to a small cult following, but I respect Sentai rescuing the license and liking it enough to give it a new dub. It's always heartwarming when older anime titles get rescued.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
SDI Media is a huge localizing company that rubs elbows with studios across the country and in Asian markets, probably the middleman that bridges the foreign market across the Pacific. That is super interesting.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
No complaints here about the cast, though I'm always leery whenever someone says they've "improved" the script. Like what the hell does that even mean, anyway? You're just translating the script from Japanese to English, what tweaks needed to be done that it was an "improvement"?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
No complaints here about the cast, though I'm always leery whenever someone says they've "improved" the script. Like what the hell does that even mean, anyway? You're just translating the script from Japanese to English, what tweaks needed to be done that it was an "improvement"?
I guess it's meant to say that the literal translated script fell flat so they made it a bit entertaining while still keeping the soul of the original script.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Often there's several ways to translate the same phrase from one language to another. Other times one language might not have an exact equivalent word, so you need to get a close-enough word, or replace said word with a phrase.

Here's a good video, explaining the problem from a computer-science standpoint:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...

...Yeah, that would be hard to translate.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Zeno apparently got a lot of work done on some production he was in, but then he was suddenly dropped out. Of course, NDAs prevent us from learning who killed his role.
This for Pokémon or another production?