• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The queen of ****posting Amanda Winn Lee comes forward about Netflix's Evangelion's script.

Putting it in spoiler format because of uncensored profanity by...well, her:

It's worth mentioning that Amanda being a drugged-up wild party animal to the point of being blacklisted is why she couldn't be Rei in the Rebuild movies anymore, but most everyone else could, and she's still super bitter about it to this day. I take everything she says with a grain of salt at this point because of her nasty attitude on social media and wishing rape on a girl.

With that said, however, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we were lied to this whole time about why it was ADV/Sentai Filmworks couldn't renew the license for NGE, and the reason was because Gainax was peeved off by the English script and by Matt Greenfield telling them to sod off. While I don't believe Netflix used the exact same script that ADV originally had before rewriting it, I think it sucks the closest translation we have of the series is the Netflix dub which had stilted acting and it "couldn't afford" to license "Fly Me to the Moon".

NGE fans have always been in a lose-lose situation.

Plus, I’m a sucker for accents in anime
I love accents in general, but accents in anime is really lovely. Since I try to watch (historical/foreign) drama piece anime in English anyway (when available), I honestly don't know if original Japanese tracks ever have actors doing foreign accents when they're not speaking broken Engrish, and dialects aren't the same as accents, but it's always such a treat to hear them. I hate that people have such a stick up their butts about the use of accents these days when it's called voice-acting. Like acting (as in, a theater performance on stage), you're pretending to be someone (or something) you're not, and voice-acting means doing weird things to your voice including accents. Let voice-actors do their job and act. It's supposed to be fun.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Is...

Is Macross free, now?
Barring a few series, it may be free from Harmony Gold’s iron grip, tho this agreement apparently lets Harmony Gold keep Robotech, since they are still planning a live action remake with Sony.

pacman000

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
That’s sad; I’m a bit worried FUNimation is gaining too much power over the market.
They merged with Sony who also has affiliation with Aniplex and Crunchyroll, and Discotek Media, while their own separate thing, actually rubs elbows/may be buddies with FUNimation through Anime News Network. Sentai Filmworks may still be their own thing, but they share voice-actors with FUNimation. Literal monopoly. Bandai Entertainment and Geneon left us too soon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sentai has some really weird dub choices.

I still can't believe they gave Food Wars' Erina a valley girl accent when she's a world-famous chef and food taster. Like, why. Not a single person in her family even has that strange accent.

pacman000

I wonder what it would take to start a licensing/dubbing company...

RetroPokeFan

Screenshot_20210427-160717_Funimation.png
number24_E2_cast.png

Cast for the rugby anime number24 which the first two episodes are up on FUNimation. And would you believe it? They've outsourced this to NYAV Post, what a great surprise.

Michael Schneider voice directs (with Laura Stahl doing some extra voice direction too) and Y. Chang does the script adaptation.

Barrett Leddy has confirmed he's part of the cast too:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Screenshot_20210427-160717_Funimation.png
number24_E2_cast.png

Cast for the rugby anime number24 which the first two episodes are up on FUNimation. And would you believe it? They've outsourced this to NYAV Post, what a great surprise.

Michael Schneider voice directs (with Laura Stahl doing some extra voice direction too) and Y. Chang does the script adaptation.

Barrett Leddy has confirmed he's part of the cast too:
I had to look up Courtney Shaw, and she's only known for working on Liz and the Blue Bird, yet she has multiple roles in two episodes? How good is her range?

RetroPokeFan

I had to look up Courtney Shaw, and she's only known for working on Liz and the Blue Bird, yet she has multiple roles in two episodes? How good is her range?
She's been in a few other things such as the Transformers Rescue Bots Academy series (when Hasbro moved the series to New York) and recently that Secret Magic Control Agency film on Netflix that Tom Wayland's newer studio 3Beep did a while back.