• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
They sometimes hire actual talent, but, in my eyes, they misuse it.

In XY, they hired Todd Haberkorn to voice Tierno and the Zygarde Cells. All of them hardly sounded different than each other, and the voice direction saw it fit to keep Squishy's voice as Zygarde Complete, which felt too narmy. It reminded me of when Sonic Unleashed's Chip used the exact same voice during a transformation part...and it sounded stupid. Things would've been better had they either hired someone else to avoid pulling double duty or had they told the voice actor to sound more different.

That was Tom Wayland who was still ADR director at the time, right? He apparently never had the cast do too many takes.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'd agree, but their simuldubbing has been pretty lazy.
I can't say much about their simuldubs since the only one I currently watch is My Hero Academia, but I know that Funimation's regular dubs are great when they don't involve politics. One example I can think of was their recent dub for Nichijou last year since the VAs voices matched with most of the characters and the way they all screamed & reacted to the various scenes/jokes were perfect.

That's why I'm REALLY upset that Funimation may try to censor anime straight from the source. They make great dubs most of the time so this tarnishes their good name more than anything else they've done in the past.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
That's why I'm REALLY upset that Funimation may try to censor anime straight from the source. They make great dubs most of the time so this tarnishes their good name more than anything else they've done in the past.

Lol it's been tarnished for a while now, probably when their dub of Hajimete no Gal happened--Prison School's "GamerGate" line came off as a one-time thing for most people.

But also Dragon Ball fans never liked how they handled releasing it on home video, so if we count that constant bungling, then their name's been tarnished longer.

RetroPokeFan

Then at the bottom of the barrel through a hole created by screeching voices is whatever dubbing company dubs stuff like the Pokemon anime (it's pretty telling when the voice actors fail to sound like 10-year olds and yet they're given the okay to continue anyway)...which may be a league on its own that no one dares to touch much.
Just don't look even further inside the barrel because if you do you might find table scrapes and horror stories of old Hong Kong and Singapore dubs and surfer Yugi and senile sounding Solomon hiding at the bottom.
"Maximus Fortress has cum himself!"
"Hey, looking good dude!"

Funimation is still at the peak of English dubbing, which employs the best dubbing studios there are.
I don't normally pay too much attention to Funi's own dubs nowadays but the dubs they do based on other franchises they previously had no involvement with are some of my favourites be used when they hit home, they really hit home especially with cast reprisals. We went from the likes of Danganronpa: The Animation where only Bryce Papenbrook came back and the rest was the Texas actors to the new Code Geass film where pretty much everyone came back to reprise (Steve Blum, Travis Willingham and Roger Craig Smith included) and Isekai Quartet.

LA and Texas since New York's not in the picture anymore, and I don't know when it was last that Ocean did anything
I'd say New York is still somewhat but just barely hanging on nowadays. Of course they have Pokémon but they also have the Yu-Gi-Oh series with Konami Cross Media (previously 4K Media) that none of the networks care about anymore (VRAINS has STILL not seen an American release of any kind despite the fact it's still airing in Canada and Australia) and of course the NYAV Post studio (which is where I say the NY actors really get their chance to shine with their performances) who can record both LA and NY actors bi-coastal (which speaking of bi-coastal Lisa Ortiz is now bi-coastal as well since she's been doing stuff in LA and NY too).

As for Ocean, they barely do much anime nowadays. They did do the newer Beyblade Burst series but then starting with
Turbo they were discarded entirely in favour of Bang-Zoom Entertainment.

Netflix should've been a godsend since it's unionized and can afford a more diverse talent pool, but I don't know what the fuck is up with Netflix dubs. They're hit-or-miss as well (the Beastars dub managed to be good), but given it's Netflix, everything they touch turns to crap sooner or later.

I really enjoyed the dub for Cannon Busters but than again NYAV almost always hit a home run with any of their dubs.

In XY, they hired Todd Haberkorn to voice Tierno and the Zygarde Cells.
Todd only ever voiced Tierno. It was Billy Bob Thompson (Greninja and Remi from Promare) that voiced both Zygarde cells.

Then his successor became...Lisa Ortiz.

Theresa Buchheister actually filled in for the rest of Kalos Quest and the start of XYZ before Lisa took over.

And now I know why Alain sounded like he was about to fall asleep in his first XYZ episode.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
...That's even worse. They both sounded too alike despite having two different voice actors.

That's surprisingly not uncommon for two different voice-actors to sound similar, which is why miscasting by fans happen if names aren't credited. For instance, Tiffany Vollmer, known as original Funi Bulma, sounds remarkably similar to New York voice actress Lenore Zann. I only realized this when I watched Magic Knight Rayearth and some '90s sex comedy OVA almost back-to-back, and I realized Lenore sounds so much like Tiffany even though Tiffany (as far as I know) never went to New York.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Okay. In other real news, Funimation managed to finish MHA's episode 84 through remote voice acting. It's a miracle come true.

The real miracle would be if the voice-directing was flawless despite everyone having to buy their own equipment for home.

Oh yeah, Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi in a recent Facebook stream revealed they had to get their own equipment, FUNimation didn't provide them anything. Going to assume this is the same case for everyone else who hadn't already prepped themselves a home studio long before this.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm surprised that more dub voice actors don't have their own home studios.

Something-something budgeting.

But you would think professional voice-actors would consider making a home studio. It opens up all sorts of opportunities to be able to do things out of the comfort of your own home, especially thanks to the Internet.

I'm not really expecting anyone from the Pokemon dub to even afford anything like that. Ha ha.
Of course not. TPCI is diet 4Kids after all.

I think every voice-actor should always consider saving up for one tbh. Marc Swint, the voice-actor of Kiawe, has himself a home studio or at least has regular access to something judging by his appearances on Bennett the Sage's Anime Abandon and Nuts & Bolts podcast.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Dude's everywhere in current anime right now.

Prolific ubiquity =/= good. He's badly type-casted, but he doesn't really have his father's talent to truly take up his torch equally. Shame. He's got a good résumé and loves his wok, good on him, but a shame.

RetroPokeFan

The additional voices in FF7R (Part 1) is basically a hall of fame of big names in anime in disguise. It's both hilarious and incredible. Just close your eyes and poke anywhere on the photo. The chances you will pick a sucky voice actor are abysmally low.

EVN_lgEUUAAPvDH
Crispin may not be voicing Rude but he still ended up being part of the remake anyway. Also yuck to Acaba and Niosi being part of this considering the terrible crap they did (both abused women and Niosi leaking his role in FE: Three Houses before he was even allowed to hence why we have Zach Aguilar now).

But otherwise it's a pretty great list.
Now all we need is Steve Blum in one of the future parts and this party'll be a blast.

Something-something budgeting.

But you would think professional voice-actors would consider making a home studio. It opens up all sorts of opportunities to be able to do things out of the comfort of your own home, especially thanks to the Internet.

I think every voice-actor should always consider saving up for one tbh. Marc Swint, the voice-actor of Kiawe, has himself a home studio or at least has regular access to something judging by his appearances on Bennett the Sage's Anime Abandon and Nuts & Bolts podcast.
Sam Black (Kiawe's Marowak and Kolter from VRAINS) has his own room booth and remote capabilities so they are some NY VA's that have their own stuff at home. Not sure about the much bigger NY VA's though.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Also yuck to Acaba and Niosi being part of this considering the terrible crap they did (both abused women and Niosi leaking his role in FE: Three Houses before he was even allowed to hence why we have Zach Aguilar now).

Considering Niosi never got "#canceled" and still is in the voice-acting industry means absolutely nothing. All I've heard were hearsay rumors, but until I see photographic/video evidence, police records and/or court documents, it's all garbage, his apology on Twitter notwithstanding because there weren't receipts to back up his statement. Same goes for this Orion Acaba dude, never heard of him but I demand the same evidence. And I'm not saying this because I've actually talked to and interviewed Niosi way back when he was just widely known as Kirbopher (good luck trying to find it btw, the site it was hosted on nuked itself years ago). He gave my friend and I some pointers, and when I thanked him on Facebook for his time he replied back nicely and wished us luck. Keeping up appearances or not, that was awfully kind of him but that was my only interaction with him and all I heard afterwards were these rumors. No, I'm only asking for evidence because I'm sick of hearsay and he-said, she-said and having to pick sides or you're just as guilty. If the best people have on him are his Flash animations, especially what he contributed to the Nin10doh parody series, then oh my God do I have something to tell you about artists and animators being known perverts in showing their appreciation for the human (female, mostly) figure.

So give me proof of this, like for example: Scott Freeman is a convicted pedophile and went to prison for three years for CP possession. Illich Guardiola married his 16-year-old student after they were caught sleeping together, and it didn't go to court because the mother witnessed their wedding and the charges were thrown out. D.C. Douglas (which he admitted to on his own blog but tried to play it off as something it's not) snuck into a women's restroom at the Denver Airport and filmed himself on the toilet listening to the conversations of women around him. (Also apparently an 11-year-old was nearby, too.)

Niosi breaking his NDA was stupid, though, not sure what enticed him to say it. Think this just prevents him for working on Fire Emblem ever again, but Pokémon might still be okay. Not sure if the contracts were linked. But he still has work elsewhere, probably not a total loss for him.