• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
As for Cardcaptor Sakura, I think they’ll most likely use the Aniplex dub, but I’m hoping for a new one since this series has two dubs that are generally bad for opposite reasons.

Oh my God this is my biggest pipe-dream that'll never come true, but I DESPERATELY want it to come true. I couldn't stand the Aniplex dub and that is the sole reason I haven't bought the Blu-Ray. I'm still fucking pissed NIS America didn't deem it necessary/profitable to redub.

The Nelvana dub made way too many edits to make it kid friendly but the characters sound more genuine & believable

The voices are amazing, but the original dub was made as such more-or-less to make it appeal more to boys than ever before, the Kids' WB broadcast rape notwithstanding. It's otherwise an alright dub, but you know they had to change Sakura's parents' meeting and relationship as well as hide Tori's relationship with Ms. McKenzie, and especially Rita's crush on her teacher that was reciprocated in the manga. Everyone whines about removing the gay subtext between Tori and Yue (when they otherwise forget about the '90s/early-2000s), but understand that the teacher-student romance was NOT going to fly out here one bit. I almost ruined Cardcaptors for my mom (who thinks the anime is a good and cute series) when I told her about that.

RetroPokeFan

I recently saw that Cardcaptor Sakura will be coming to Netflix June 1st while BNA will be coming June 30th. How likely do you think these shows will be getting new dub releases when they come out?

While BNA seems 50/50 considering everything, I think there could be a possibility if they started working on the dub before the pandemic or if they have the technology to work from home like Funimation’s doing

As for Cardcaptor Sakura, I think they’ll most likely use the Aniplex dub, but I’m hoping for a new one since this series has two dubs that are generally bad for opposite reasons. The Nelvana dub made way too many edits to make it kid friendly but the characters sound more genuine & believable, whereas the Aniplex dub is more fateful to the original version but practically every character sounds horrible.

Cardcaptor Sakura is most likely gonna be the Animax dub (unfortunately) since that’s the dub that’s seen the most releases (it’s on Channel 4’s All4 service here in the UK) and FUNi (the current licensor) doesn’t seem too interested in redubbing the show while the Nelvana dub has pretty much faded away home media and streaming wise.

Same with BNA. It’ll either come out with a dub or none at all until a later date (the fact the trailer’s in Japanese is tempting me to fully say the second option).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Same with BNA. It’ll either come out with a dub or none at all until a later date (the fact the trailer’s in Japanese is tempting me to fully say the second option).

Beastars used the Japanese trailer first for overseas release before actually using the dubbed trailer a week or so before it premiered, so there may still be hope for it to be dubbed.
Plus Little Witch Academia has only used Japanese trailers from what I’ve seen, even now they don’t show any trailers in English on their Netflix selection, so there’s still a possibility that BNA will be dubbed

I’m personally hoping it’ll be dubbed though. I tried the sub version & I couldn’t keep up with reading most of the dialogue

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Someone did a fan dub clip for Eizouken a few days ago & it’s really impressive. The music & sound effects are all intact & the voices are spot on for the most part. Plus, the one problem I have with Eizouken is that the subs occasionally go too fast for me to read everything, so this was a real treat:

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Plus, the one problem I have with Eizouken is that the subs occasionally go too fast for me to read everything

Masaaki Yuasa really seems to like characters with motor mouths, so if you had a hard time with Eizouken, Tatami Galaxy's gonna be hell for you if you haven't seen it yet. And there's no way that Tatami is ever getting a dub.

Eizouken might benefit from a dub, but I just hate-hate-hate that it's a "tell, don't show, but also don't tell it right because wink-wink-nudge" anime about how to make animation. So if it ever were to get dubbed, they'd have to "fix" some of the dialogue with proper terminology (lol like dub scriptwriters and ADR directors ever do their homework) so it'd make sense to those not in the know about the animation tools of the trade.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Masaaki Yuasa really seems to like characters with motor mouths, so if you had a hard time with Eizouken, Tatami Galaxy's gonna be hell for you if you haven't seen it yet. And there's no way that Tatami is ever getting a dub.

Eizouken might benefit from a dub, but I just hate-hate-hate that it's a "tell, don't show, but also don't tell it right because wink-wink-nudge" anime about how to make animation. So if it ever were to get dubbed, they'd have to "fix" some of the dialogue with proper terminology (lol like dub scriptwriters and ADR directors ever do their homework) so it'd make sense to those not in the know about the animation tools of the trade.
I don't know what Tatami Galaxy is about but isn't it more famous for its unique artstyle than anything else?

And after looking up what Eizouken is, I'll point out that Bakuman got a dub and it's basically the same thing but with guys and manga and less fantasy sequences.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't know what Tatami Galaxy is about but isn't it more famous for its unique artstyle than anything else?

Yeah, I think it got popular because the art-style was striking, but it's a legit fun series and it helped (further, Kaiba was 2008) propel Masaaki into name recognition with Western fans.

And after looking up what Eizouken is, I'll point out that Bakuman got a dub and it's basically the same thing but with guys and manga and less fantasy sequences.

I haven't seen Bakuman, but I'm just going to assume that Bakuman at least properly explains things down to the proper terminology and shows everything instead of just expecting the audience to be able to follow along and fill in the gaps the correct way when it refuses to show what the characters are going on spiels about. I hear Eizouken's manga has the same issue, yet you'd think the anime would've taken advantage of the medium of animation to show how animation is created.

Yeah, honestly am not a fan of everything Masaaki Yuasa shits out. Not helped the cult personality that's been built around him is super obnoxious in how they put him on a golden pedestal of perfection.

RetroPokeFan

Season 3 of Baki is up on Netflix. This would be where I would show off the English dub cast that appears but there isn't one as the dub (and all other foreign dubs) is delayed due to COVID-19. Expect it to be up soon though if GITS's dub was any indication though we're talking about different dub studios here so it could still depend (GITS with Bang-Zoom, Baki with Studiopolis).

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
No dub announcement for it and there won’t be for a while but this is absolutely worth taking about.

Cyberpunk 2077, the upcoming video game from the folks as CD Projekt Red is getting an anime series on Netflix brought to you by none other than Trigger of Kill La Kill and Promare game.

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1276186733608984577?s=21
I'm not sure. Ever since Darling in the Franxx (aka one of the worst train wrecks of the 2010s), I've been really concerned whenever Trigger does a joint project

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So they're Nippon-ing a Western franchise. Huh.

Wouldn't be the first time. Madhouse did TV series of Marvel properties such as X-Men (plus a Wolverine spin-off), Iron Man, and Blade.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer