• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Man, Ben is really going all in with these animal roles.

That's the power of the sexy faux British voice.

Wait, he hasn't done that voice since Joseph Joestar, has he?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Wait, he hasn't done that voice since Joseph Joestar, has he?
Isn't that the same voice he used when he played Numbuh One in Codename: Kids Next Door?

Also, is it me or does it seem like Netflix is using Cherami Leigh a lot lately? Between picking up previous shows she voiced for like SAO or Fairy Tale, and giving her new roles like Michiru in BNA or Chloe in Pokémon Journeys, she seems to be one of their favorite dub VAs right now.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Isn't that the same voice he used when he played Numbuh One in Codename: Kids Next Door?

Also, is it me or does it seem like Netflix is using Cherami Leigh a lot lately? Between picking up previous shows she voiced for like SAO or Fairy Tale, and giving her new roles like Michiru in BNA or Chloe in Pokémon Journeys, she seems to be one of their favorite dub VAs right now.
Blame the pandemic for virtually limiting new aspiring VAs to take roles, especially when not a lot of them have recording methods at home. It also slowed things down for some.

For example, Minae Noji didn't voice Say'ri in Fire Emblem Heroes in time because of the pandemic (it was even cited in the notifications), so they were forced to have her with Japanese lines for the time being. However, every other new hero released after her has retained their voice actor. To make it a bigger deal, the units in the game don't say much.

(Though that also led me to believe the Pokemon Journeys dub hired professional VAs because their usual cast of...less-than-average voice actors didn't have studios of their own.)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Blame the pandemic for virtually limiting new aspiring VAs to take roles, especially when not a lot of them have recording methods at home. It also slowed things down for some.

For example, Minae Noji didn't voice Say'ri in Fire Emblem Heroes in time because of the pandemic (it was even cited in the notifications), so they were forced to have her with Japanese lines for the time being. However, every other new hero released after her has retained their voice actor. To make it a bigger deal, the units in the game don't say much.

(Though that also led me to believe the Pokemon Journeys dub hired professional VAs because their usual cast of...less-than-average voice actors didn't have studios of their own.)
Why are Sarah, Michele, and Carter still there?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Why are Sarah, Michele, and Carter still there?
I guess their paychecks are just larger than the others to let them afford their own studios/create some cheap ones in their closets (no, seriously, recording booths work well inside a closet)? Sarah surely is paid really well because she is literally the main character...and he appears every. Single. Damn. Episode. For. Over. One. Hundred. Fifty. Times. In. Three. Years. Rinse. And. Repeat.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Well, I watched the first two episodes of the BNA dub & it’s ok so far. I can understand not having as many VAs available because of the pandemic like @AuraChannelerChris said, but none of the characters have really clicked for me yet like the VAs for Kill La Kill or Little Witch Academia did (heck, as much as I hated Darling in the Franxx, the VAs for that series perfectly fit the characters too).

The main leads are ok, but Ben Diskins sounds a little too young to voice Shiro compared to his animal form & his Japanese voice (I only watched the sub up to episode 5 because the lines were going too fast for me to read), and Cherami Leigh doesn’t seem as into playing Michiru as she did for other characters like Lucy from Fairy Tail (or even some of her minor roles like Pixie Bob from My Hero Academia).

I’m going to try to watch the rest of the series one episode a week, so hopefully it gets better

Last edited:

RetroPokeFan

Well, I watched the first two episodes of the BNA dub & it’s ok so far. I can understand not having as many VAs available because of the pandemic like @AuraChannelerChris said, but none of the characters have really clicked for me yet like the VAs for Kill La Kill or Little Witch Academia did (heck, as much as I hated Darling in the Franxx, the VAs for that series perfectly fit the characters too).

The main leads are ok, but Ben Diskins sounds a little too young to voice Shiro compared to his animal form & his Japanese voice (I only watched the sub up to episode 5 because the lines were going too fast for me to read), and Cherami Leigh doesn’t seem as into playing Michiru as she did for other characters like Lucy from Fairy Tail (or even some of her minor roles like Pixie Bob from My Hero Academia).

I’m going to try to watch the rest of the series one episode a week, so hopefully it gets better
Gonna be honest, as good as the VAs are I just don't find Spliced Bread/SDI Media’s dubs to be as interesting as the other studios Netflix uses. I tend to find most of Bob Buchholz's dubs to be fine but very workman-like with them tending to reuse a lot of the VA's, probably more so than other studios (though you could argue that it's good that they tend to stick to the more established VA's which I respect that opinion). They have been adding some newer VA's (the likes of Jonah Scott, Griffin Puatu, Billy Kametz and even Lex Lang in Drifting Dragons) but it feels like they do that at such a super slow pace though the pandemic probably isn't helping them and the fact Netflix seems to love giving them stuff a lot. From what little I have heard of BnA it does at least sound a lot better than usual for some of Buchholz's dubs, Robbie Daymond especially sounds good.

Anyhoo in a surprising turn of events for Aniplex, the Persona 5 anime series' home media release will be getting an English dub recorded at the studio used for the game PCB Productions with Keith Arem voice directing (Valerie Arem voice directed the game and the dub for Persona 4 The Animation was done at Bang-Zoom with PCB used for casting) and the main VA's reprising their roles. Aniplex being Aniplex though is charging you $300 for the whole set.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/persona-5s-anime-is-getting-a-300-bluray-collectio/1100-6479361/

Last edited:

RetroPokeFan

Masaaki Yasua's latest series Japan Sinks 2020 is now up on Netflix. The dub is recorded at VSI Los Angeles with Samantha Daniel (she appeared in one or two Pokemon XY episodes and has done some stuff for live action dubs) voice directing. Nice and varied cast for this one too with the likes of Keith Silverstein, Faye Mata, Ryan Barltey, Jamieson Price, Barbara Goodson and even Cathy Cavadini too.
https://twitter.com/JRPictures/status/1281125321257840641?s=20

RetroPokeFan

The CG Lupin III movie has had it's cast announced and GKids plus NYAV Post delivers once again because Tony Oliver and the rest are back to reprise their iconic roles plus Laurie Hymes, J. David Brimmer and Paul Guyet are along for the ride too.
https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1283404407007305728?s=20

• Tony Oliver as Lupin
  • Doug Erholtz as Zenigata
  • Michelle Ruff as Fujiko
  • Richard Epcar as Jigen
  • Lex Lang as Goemon
  • Laurie Hymes as Laetitia
  • J. David Brimmer as Lambert
  • Paul Guyet as Gerard
Also since this is NYAV we're talking about I can garuantee you that Laurie will sound and get better voice direction here than she did with Lillie in Pokemon.

RetroPokeFan

Wait a minute.

Laurie Hymes can be salvaged?
You could sort of say that she already has since one of her other NYAV roles was Mizore in Liz and the Blue Bird.
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/movies/Liz-and-the-Blue-Bird/Mizore-Yoroizuka/

Believe me when I say that this is Laurie's best role that stamps all over her Lillie performance in just how perfectly normal she sounds. That's why I enjoy NYAV's dubs a lot, with their dubs it feels like they generally care about making their dubs as high quality as possible with their diverse casting and especially voice direction. Sinterniklaas and Sheh (who voice directed Liz) are just perfect at these.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
She was Sera in Yu-Gi-Oh: Dark Side of Dimensions, which is the best Yu-Gi-Oh has ever been dubbed, honestly couldn't think of any bad voice-work in that movie. Think we can all agree the Pokémon dub sounds as stilted as it does simply because it's so cheaply-made, even the best actors have to make do with the time they have. Quality's at least gotten better since Tom Wayland left the project, right?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
She was Sera in Yu-Gi-Oh: Dark Side of Dimensions, which is the best Yu-Gi-Oh has ever been dubbed, honestly couldn't think of any bad voice-work in that movie. Think we can all agree the Pokémon dub sounds as stilted as it does simply because it's so cheaply-made, even the best actors have to make do with the time they have. Quality's at least gotten better since Tom Wayland left the project, right?
Lisa Ortiz is the voice director.

We can all agree she was not thinking straight when she made Hymes voice Lillie with that awful pitch.