• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

RetroPokeFan

I'm not sure if there have been any other threads similar to this but I'd thought it would be neato to do a thread related to any anime dubs you've seen or are excited for and anything related to voice actors, script adaptors and just about everyone who helps make them possible.

Might even put some news on here too for anything that comes out.

You can talk about just about any dub of any kind, new and old so talk away I guess.

As far as recent stuff goes (besides watching Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's which I finished up all the dubbed episodes last year) I'm excited to see how both Weathering with You (out in theatres in the US next week) and Dragon Quest: Your Story (a Netflix exclusive) fares.
Granted as far as the Dragon Quest one goes I'm not too excited for the movie itself
(especially for the supposedly infamous ending that pissed tons of Japanese fans off, hoo boy is that gonna be fun)
but NYAV Post (the dubbing studio producing the dubs) have always excelled in terms of making superb top quality dubs (even with the more mediocre films they get) so I'm excited to see those.

And there's also the Gundam Seed redub they also did which should be coming out this year as well.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The Sailor Moon redub was pretty good, particularly Stars. I also like the original English dub for seasons 1 and 2, but i dislike the dub for seasons 3 and 4.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Works that you should definitely watch dubbed are:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Space Dandy
and
3. Anything 4Kids touched that isn't named One Piece

Leonhart

Imagineer
I know this is probably a controversial opinion among anime fans, but I think that the Ghost Stories English dub is quite amazing. The fact that the studio that dubbed it were able to revitalize such a bland anime and make it into a parody of itself is great, and it's one of the few anime that I prefer the dubbed version of over the original version.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
My friends, it has often been said that I like dubs.

My friends, I like dubs...

No, friends, I love dubs!

I'll watch it in either sub or dub, but if a dub exists, I'll hunt it down for a watch. Sometimes I'll watch the sub first, then check out the dub, but there's certain shows dubbed by certain companies that I just want to watch dubbed first and foremost because, sometimes, I like the awkwardness of it. Sometimes, I also just like hearing a childhood 4KIDS/Saban voice say "holy shit".

I honestly couldn't tell you what's my favorite dub of all time, because I don't really know. I have my favorite voice-actors, of course, but they're sometimes cast in bad shows/shows with a bad dub in general. So I just go with voice-actors more than shows in terms of favorite dubs.

I will say that I miss Pioneer/Geneon, though. They had some good quality dubs for their time, them going defunct was a sad day.

I know this is probably a controversial opinion among anime fans, but I think that the Ghost Stories English dub is quite amazing.

Nah, it's quite widely agreed that it's a dub that needs to be seen.

Bobobo-bo bo-bobo

Yes. And thankfully, Discotek Media rescued it, it's been sorely out-of-print for too many years.

jaden767

Amphetamine
The Cowboy Bebop dub is a gem. It doesn't sound unnatural the way a lot of current dubbed anime sound. And even though it had a lot of censorship I loved the old Sailor Moon dub that aired on CN.

TheWanderingMist

I know this is probably a controversial opinion among anime fans, but I think that the Ghost Stories English dub is quite amazing. The fact that the studio that dubbed it were able to revitalize such a bland anime and make it into a parody of itself is great, and it's one of the few anime that I prefer the dubbed version of over the original version.
Oh my goodness, how in the world did I forget the ADV dub of Ghost Stories? Samurai Pizza Cats is another dub - only watch.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Space Dandy
and
Well, 4kids botched ygo gx, mangled 5ds,and changed a lot of the story of DM

TheWanderingMist

Improved the story of DM.

In Japan, card games kill you.
In America, they send you to Hell.

Leonhart

Imagineer
mehmeh1 said:

I never bothered to watch their dub of 5D's since I stopped caring about the franchise as a whole around that point, but I do remember hating their dub of the DM series because of the story changes and their inconsistencies. In particular, I disliked that they called the other Yugi "Yami" for a while, then "Pharaoh". While Pharaoh at least made sense, it sounded a bit strange and formal coming from the main cast members.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh my goodness, how in the world did I forget the ADV dub of Ghost Stories? Samurai Pizza Cats is another dub - only watch.

Samurai Pizza Cats is an underrated gem of a treasure. Saban dubs are kinda hit-or-miss, but it's actually surprising how much they respected their shows while recognizing they were tackling child-friendly (for the most part) shows. Saban didn't really dumb things down as much as people accuse them of doing. Even though they followed the same FCC guidelines as 4KIDS did, they still tried to remain true to the script, and they had more raw voice-acting akin to the tone of someone telling you a campfire story that you don't really get anywhere, anymore.

RetroPokeFan

Mob Psycho 100 is a series I've been enjoying dub wise. Chris Cason did an excellent job voice directing the first season and last year around November or December I've started the second season with the first 2 episodes and the OVA.

RetroPokeFan

Beastars is getting what appears to be a union dub on Netflix courtesy of Spliced Bread Productions on the SAG-AFTRA website as is Season 2 of High Score Girl.

In terms of High Score Girl I have to wonder if it's the video game characters that's causing them to go union so that they can get their video game actors back. It's worth pointing out that with Season 1 many of the Street Fighter characters got new English voices even though their Japanese actors came back (Lucien Dodge played two characters for example).

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Space Dandy
and
How could you forget Gurren Lagann, which also has an incredible dub, plus is also an eons better anime that all three of them?!

149683.gif

Another anime that is definitely worth checking out in dub (especially the final insane/mindboggling climax part of it). ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!!!

TheWanderingMist

How could you forget Gurren Lagann, which also has an incredible dub, plus is also an eons better anime that all three of them?!

149683.gif

Another anime that is definitely worth checking out in dub (especially the final insane/mindboggling climax of it). ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH!!!
Because I haven't seen Gurrenn Lagann's Japanese version to compare and also out of them I much prefer Space Dandy's brand of nonsense.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Because I haven't seen Gurrenn Lagann's Japanese version to compare and also out of them I much prefer Space Dandy's brand of nonsense.
Well I've actually seen the final Dai-Gurren vs Anti-Spirals climax part both in sub & dub....and I just have to say that the it's one of the few cases where the dub is just a class apart from the Japanese version. Quite surprising but that's actually the case.