• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Dub Discussion/News

RetroPokeFan

You know this month has gone by so quickly when the second half of Great Pretender will be up on Netflix tomorrow. Feels like only weeks since they announced it.

RetroPokeFan

The Gundam Seed redub (produced by NYAV Post) finally comes out today with the Ultimate Edition, here's the full and quite stacked voice cast for it:

The UK release isn't coming out until next year and the series is also available on FUNimation's site (alongside the original Gundam, Unicorn and Seed Destiny though for that it's sub only). The regular release featuring only the new dub will be out next year.

RetroPokeFan

Akudama Drive (from Studio Pierrot) has had it's cast announced and boy, am I excited for this one in the same way I was for Sound Cadence's Arte.

Really great to see Brittany Lauda's own studio (Kocha Sound where the dub is produced at, much like Sound Cadence some of their dubs are bi-coastal too) get a chance to work for FUNi and the cast already has me giddy to check this one out.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Literally who? "Everywhere" as in...?

It all started with his role as Remy in Big City Greens. That's when he started landing a lot of notable roles. I think it's when he got to play Hawks in MHA when things just went up for him. (And I assume you don't know he plays Goh in the current Pokemon anime saga...and it's pretty telling the guy is many times one of the best picks the dub got for a main character VA, since he delivers his lines very well.)

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I've heard the orange DBZ box-sets were awful, but I didn't fully understand what people were complaining about until this video showed it. Man, how come Toei didn't ream Funimation for that?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

RetroPokeFan

Memories has had the English dub cast announced for Sound Cadence's two segments they're working on.

NYAV Post is still working on the third (Magnetic Rose) hence why there's no announcement for that.

Still, it's looking pretty good already because not only do we have Texas (Stephen Fu), LA (Kira Buckland and Michael Sorich) and NY (Mike Pollock) VAs but also Ellen Hennessey from Toronto which is quite the pleasant surprise so I'm glad to see Sound Cadence going the extra mile of bicoastal casting.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Just don't say he's Dr. Eggman. Even though he ironically likes to talk about a lot of tweets with Dr. Eggman, he abhors it when people see him as Dr. Eggman.

...Weird, I know.
A lot of VAs don't want to be called by their character names, as I've noticed.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's not that. He dislikes being known as "the guy who voices Dr. Eggman." In the same vein Rachael Lillis hates being known as "the girl who voiced Misty."
I think deep down, voice-actors want to be known as the next Mel Blanc or June Foray with numerous roles to their name to be recognized for--forgetting that even they were (and still are) typically widely known for a handful of characters by those not in the know. Star-making roles tend to be all actors will ever be known for no matter how hard they try to expand their résumé. Nothing's more sad and desperate than going out of your way to have hundreds of credits to your name only for people to still always and forever remember only like 1% of the most well-known (and typically early, too) roles of your career. Even more pathetic when you get frustrated at fans for not keeping tabs of every little thing you do to stay "up to date" or whatnot.

Tiffany Grant is like one of the very few voice-actors I know of who doesn't mind that she's only known for being Asuka Langley Soryu despite having more (better) roles to her name because she actually adores Asuka. (Joshua Seth is another I can think of who doesn't mind he's gonna be forever known as Tai Kamiya even though he, too, has better roles to his name.) That's professional, but also very wholesome behavior that she's that happy and dedicated to her most (maybe only) famous role despite Asuka being one of the most polarizing characters in anime history. Personally, I think she was simply amazing as Satella from Chrono Crusade, and she was the most tolerable voice-actress in Little Busters! as Kudryavka, but admittedly, Asuka is more fun to talk about. Her being one of, if not the most staunch supporter and defender of Asuka out there is quite wonderful, and I wish more voice-actors had that kind of mindset. I don't want to feel like I have to walk on eggshells should I ever meet up with a voice-actor from my childhood knowing they're tired of hearing the same "I loved you as [famous role]!" over and over.