• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime fans that NEVER buy anything.

Erus Black Mage

I've never heard of such an animé fan! :O

Who want's to buy DVD's to something that has many episode's like Death Note? I'd even go to Youtube to watch my pwecious animé. :3
Death Note only has 37 (38 if you count Rewrite) episodes anyway. Not nearly as much as say, One Piece or Naruto. Not to mention it stops being good after episode 25.

It's not your pwecious anime either.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
i can't pick, either it doesn't suit me or it's too perverted

XxSaintx

"GIMME GIMME GIMME IT'S MINE I'M OBLIGATED TO WATCH IT!"

It's not "your pwecious" anime. It's the creators and companies' anime. If you watch it illegally, then you are a pirate. You have two choices: make up for illegally watching the material by actually buying legal products, or remain a no-good, whiney, self-entitled brat and never actually spend a penny on a product you supposedly love.

These people actually have JOBS. And if they don't receive any money, they're out of them. Period.
Look your the only one here acting like a brat "You have two choices" Seriously get over yourself your acting like most pirates don't buy anything at all if it wasn't for Bittorrent i wouldn't of bought half the cd's i have or would i have bought Bleach and Deathnote manga so seriously quit acting like a dick.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Look your the only one here acting like a brat "You have two choices" Seriously get over yourself your acting like most pirates don't buy anything at all if it wasn't for Bittorrent i wouldn't of bought half the cd's i have or would i have bought Bleach and Deathnote manga so seriously quit acting like a dick.

Dude, you cannot read at all.

If you buy something after illegally downloading it, you are the exception. Period. If the majority of pirates bought what they illegally downloaded, then the anime/manga/music/what have you industries would not be in the decline that they are now.

"Quit acting like a dick"? Learn to ****ing read.

Last edited:

XxSaintx

Dude, you cannot read at all.

If you buy something after illegally downloading it, you are the exception. Period. If the majority of pirates bought what they illegally downloaded, then the anime/manga/music/what have you industries would not be in the decline that they are now.

"Quit acting like a dick"? Learn to ****ing read.
Sorry i just skimmed through your post.

People in the industry aren't hurt by pirates. There are many more people that actually buy whatever they like instead. The pirated products allow people to find what they like, and then they will become fans. The reason why these industries are going down is drm/copyright paranoia. That keeps people from being exposed to the anime/what-have-you and, let's face it, most people won't go out of their way to find the product that they're looking for. Thus they have less fans.
It has also been noted that the Industries use the number of pirates to help them find the popularity of their products. In this, pirates can help promote the series through popularity. But with less pirates the popularity decreases, thus hurting the product's chances of continuing.
Copyrights are the self-inflicted wound that is effecting these industries.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
People in the industry aren't hurt by pirates. There are many more people that actually buy whatever they like instead. The pirated products allow people to find what they like, and then they will become fans. The reason why these industries are going down is drm/copyright paranoia. That keeps people from being exposed to the anime/what-have-you and, let's face it, most people won't go out of their way to find the product that they're looking for. Thus they have less fans.
It has also been noted that the Industries use the number of pirates to help them find the popularity of their products. In this, pirates can help promote the series through popularity. But with less pirates the popularity decreases, thus hurting the product's chances of continuing.
Copyrights are the self-inflicted wound that is effecting these industries.
The "fansubs help attract more fans and thus compel them to buy the official products" notion has been played to death. While it's true that it garners more fans, it's NOT guaranteed that a majority of them will buy the official products.

My anime blog said:
The common misconception is that fansubs help garner some attention to people who’ll become fans of the product, and buy the product when it eventually gets licensed into the US. Right? Wrong. While it’s true that fansubs help anime companies determine if a series has a viable market in order for it to be a success, would the “fans”, in the end, buy it?

It’s true that most HONORABLE fansub groups take down their subtitled episodes the minute that the series they’re subbing gets licensed, but some people still have the downloaded episodes in their hds. Quite a few of them go as far as to upload them onto YouTube/Veoh/crunchyroll/some other streaming video service, and the commentors are usually begging for more, rather than treating that single upload as an advertisement to buy the actual product (most refuse to buy anything). And when said videos are deleted…

Chaos ensues. Companies are flamed.

And the series eventually gets re-uploaded for more pirating pleasure. If you take into consideration the countless sh!theads who have the strange notion that any of their favorite series that get dubbed in the US become the bane of man (especially since the original version is obtainable through DVD releases)… this brings up a very good question: If these people can get something easily for free, why do you think they’ll be guaranteed to buy the legit products? If they hate the company for “ruining” their lives (or anime, i.e. the sh!theads), for that matter? Would they go out of their way to buy any merchandise that the company coughs up? DVDs are essentially a tool to test the waters to see if the series is a hit or not, only then would the company start making the merchandise, raking up the cash. Obviously, they won’t waste money on merchandising off the bat. If you think about it, supporting the company is just as beneficial to you as it is to them - all the real gems that you recieve relating to the series you supposedly enjoy would only appear then. Alas, it’s human nature; greed drives them to get the free variation of a product rather than a priced one.

The "fansubs help attract more fans and thus compel them to buy the official products" notion has been played to death. While it's true that it garners more fans, it's NOT guaranteed that a majority of them will buy the official products.

I would like to note that I never said anything about Pirates buying stuff. What I did say is that there are many more people will buy what they like, than there are pirates. With that, it isn't guarranteed. You're 100% right. However, Is there any product that is of fair quality (Likeable, not utter trash that no one would buy anyway) that has sold less copies worldwide (Theaters included) than it has been pirated after release? The answer is that in 99 out of 100 cases, it will not be pirated more than it's sold. The companies aren't as concerned about pirates as the PR's would have you think.

Last edited:

HK

Radiance of Shadows
However, Is there any product that is of fair quality (Likeable, not utter trash that no one would buy anyway) that has sold less copies worldwide (Theaters included) than it has been pirated after release? The answer is that in 99 out of 100 cases, it will not be pirated more than it's sold.

Uh, no.

A given anime series released in the United States may only have a few thousand copies of a DVD sold. An individual EPISODE alone can bring in tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of downloads via fansubs.

Do not treat anime like it's a music or cinema in terms of sale and marketing.

The companies aren't as concerned about pirates as the PR's would have you think.

Overgeneralization and also, really: do you personally know those in the anime industry?

Raiburuto

~Grammar Nazi
Well some of us can't afford to buy hard-copies of said anime.

That's way I always look on the net :)

Would be nice to have a hard-copy of Code Geass though...

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Well some of us can't afford to buy hard-copies of said anime.

That's way I always look on the net :)
Again, anime is NOT a right. You can live perfectly fine without it. If you can't afford it, do you absolutely *need* to have it?