• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

anime mistakes

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
Not sure if it counts towards the anime but in the first movie when Ash and the Pokemon are about to have the showdown with Mewtwo and the clothes the Rapidash has no flames on its back.
I'm pretty sure Rapidash can actually do that.

fitzy909

Just another guy
i got another one and this is that early on every pokemon used tackle. it was called even though they may not have been able to learn it. however, they may have been telling them to just tackle instead of just using tackle attack.

CliveKoopa

i got another one and this is that early on every pokemon used tackle. it was called even though they may not have been able to learn it. however, they may have been telling them to just tackle instead of just using tackle attack.

This is not a mistake. By anime logic, most pokemon should be able to use tackle. Tackle and tackle attack are the same thing. I don't know where you are differentiating it from.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
This is not a mistake. By anime logic, most pokemon should be able to use tackle. Tackle and tackle attack are the same thing. I don't know where you are differentiating it from.
So basically, you're saying someone could be all like "Beldum, Tackle!", and it'd be able to do that, despite not learning the move?

Blaquaza

Elite Spritist
One time, Tracey was saying how well Marill and Venonat work as a team, and Misty says "At least they're not Bug types.". How did she become a Gym Leader if she doesn't know that? XD

Apparently, Arbok was told to use Poison Needle, which is the Japanese name for Poison Sting. Never mind just leaving the Japanese Pokémon animé cries in the animé, they actually leave the move names as well.

The Arbok ---> Seviper evolution mistake really confused me. It was when I was new to Pokémon, and even then I knew that Arbok didn't evolve into Seviper.

Wow, the dub really messes up simple facts about Arbok, doesn't it? :D

CliveKoopa

So basically, you're saying someone could be all like "Beldum, Tackle!", and it'd be able to do that, despite not learning the move?

Well, duh. Of course. I wouldn't even consider tackle as a move anyway. Any "move" what can physically be done by the vast majority of pokemon and humans also is not a mistake. Pokemon are not brain-dead, anyone can learn how to tackle or punch, etc if they have limbs to punch or a body to tackle. It makes more sense.

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I don't think it's an error, but it's a fact that I found very funny. When you see Misty, you usually think that she has short hair. How can she possibly get of those hair to that very long hair cut that arrives to her basin ?

TheBlackDuelist

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
The anime have so many mistakes, especially in the first couple of series of Pokemon. I mean it was so bad that they had to edit out some epieodes (The Gun, and the Bikini ones) and change the plot a bit.

Also about the tackle thing, almost every Pokemon can just lunge itself towards it's opponent by logic but apparently to make it look cool they named it Tackle. So every Pokemon should be able to learn tackle but unfortunately they can't because they only limit it towards the one in the games

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't think it's an error, but it's a fact that I found very funny. When you see Misty, you usually think that she has short hair. How can she possibly get of those hair to that very long hair cut that arrives to her basin ?

She's probably wearing a weave/hair extensions. At least that's what I came up with. :p

Ash's Bulbasaur used Whirlwind when he fought Koga

I believe that was a mis-translation: in the original version Ash simply ordered Bulbasaur to blow away an oncoming attack. Since Whirlwind's Japanese name can be translated as "Blow Away," there was obviously some confusion and 4kids thought Ash was referring to the actual move.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Three I can think of off the top of my head:

-- In Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, when Team Rocket are caught in the net, the borders of Meowth's ears turn tan/orange instead of black.
-- In one Misty-era episode, I forget which one, Togepi doesn't have a face for one scene.
-- This might be a Japanese mistranslation like the one mentioned above, now that I think of it, but in Lapras of Luxury Ash tells Lapras to use "cold beam" instead of ice beam.

Chriiis

The mistranslations seem to be common, haha. In The Mandarin Island Miss Match, Prima/Lorelei tells Jynx to use Ice Beam on Team Rocket when it was really using Ice Punch.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova

CliveKoopa

Maybe they got Aerodactyl mixed with Charizard, who also made his first appearance in that episode. Or for some reason they decided to colour in the stock footage, I don't know why though.

PurpleTitan

King of Unova
I believe that was a mis-translation: in the original version Ash simply ordered Bulbasaur to blow away an oncoming attack. Since Whirlwind's Japanese name can be translated as "Blow Away," there was obviously some confusion and 4kids thought Ash was referring to the actual move.
4Kids are idiots.

CliveKoopa

4Kids are idiots.

That much is true. I found this a long time ago while browsing Dogasu's Backpack:

ichael Haigney: "In an early episode, there was a new...new character, and it was Charmander. So, at the end of the session, all the major a-actors were done, and Charmander had to make some kind of a sound. So I thought "well...OK here's...here's one Pokémon, there are a hundred and fifty. We have fifty-two more episodes. Charmander's probably in this one episode and we'll never see Charmander again. [the other actors laugh] So I say...y'know, we had like a little time...so y'know what? I'm just gonna jump in, and I'll do a sound. And it was like [in Charmander's voice] "Char! Char! Char!" like that. And...'cuz he was a little character. And [in Charmander's voice] "Chaaaaar!" like that. [the other actors laugh] OK, so I thought I was done."
Norman Grossfeld: "Wait...a little...one more time." [the other actors laugh]
Veronica Taylor: "How's it go again?"
Michael Haigney: "So then... [in Charmander's voice] Char! Char!"
Maddie Blaustein: [in Damien's voice] "It's Charminder!" [the other actors laugh]
Michael Haigney: "Right...it was early. Right, a-a-a-a-and Maddie was in it that episode I think. So...then like we got a script..."OK...now Ash, Ch-...and here's Charmander again. And I thought "Oh maybe Charmander's in a two-parter." And then it was Charmander for..."
Veronica Taylor (?): "A long time."
Michael Haigney: "...like...seventy-seven episodes, it seems like. And that started happening...and so...y'know we never really knew when a...when a...when a Pokémon was gonna be in a lot of episodes..."