• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime of the Year (2012)

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Well, the year is coming to an end soon (again). Pretty much anything set to air this year has already done so with current shows coming up on their last 2 episodes. Let try to keep it to things that started and finished in 2012. That means no Naruto, Bleach, One Piece ect. Of course anime that aired late Nov/Dec 2011 and finished this year are eligible so go nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2012_anime_television_series

Honestly, the only series that I've totally enjoyed this year with no faults was Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!. It pretty much takes the best of each genre(SoL, Comedey, Action, Romance, Drama) and mixes it up into one unhateable series.

Other mentions:

Amagami
Acchi Kocchi
Hyōka
Muv-Luv

Have at it.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Go for it. I really just meant series like Little Busters where it wouldn't be far enough yet for people to give a proper opinion on it, or for it to really kick off.

You have no idea how hard it was to get past my overwhelming bias and not write Little Busters!...

Oh well, nominating Uchuu Kyoudai.

I went in to this show for two things:

1). A-1 Pictures.
2). The premise was completely different from your average SoL series.

Not once did I expect the show to be as great as it has been so far. The pace of the show is incredibly show, yet I feel it would be rushed if they were to go any faster, everything just seems to fit so nicely into the pace they have adapted. The characters are all extremely likeable, which helps the slow pace as you really don't mind them wasting an entire episode on a phone call as it just gives some much needed screen time to some great supporting characters who wouldn't get that attention in a 12 episode series. Once again, I never expected it be as good as it is, but it has quickly become one of my favourite series.

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Can I say that despite the fact that we won't get the last 4 episodes until april of next year, that I think Kokoro Connect should be here? >3> <3<... Damn prank, we would of had all of the episodes if it wasn't for that...lol

Kokoro Connect has a bit of a bias from me because I only originally watched it for the body swapping, but when I actually got into it, I found a series that really took me away X3...The drama and comedy switching was excelent, I felt for most of the characters, and Heartseed is just a troll ._...(A good kind of troll :p...) I really want to finish it, but I can't...I think the best thing they did in the series was the previews for the next episodes...Omigosh were they done uniquly and eye catching o.o (at least to me. :/...) I haven't found a series I've enjoyed like that for a long time.

I don't think it can count, but I'd still put it as my fav and best of the year. xD

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
Can I say that despite the fact that we won't get the last 4 episodes until april of next year, that I think Kokoro Connect should be here? >3> <3<... Damn prank, we would of had all of the episodes if it wasn't for that...lol

The last episodes would have been BD/DVD only regardless of that prank.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
The last episodes would have been BD/DVD only regardless of that prank.

really? I thought they were retracted bad specifically because it would attract a number of DVD sales...huh...

ForeverFlame

I nominate Kuroko's Basketball. The show itself is pretty average (unless you're into slash fiction), but the fact that it motivated a hater to resort to domestic terrorism is pretty notable. People all over Japan are currently being affected by some guy's murderous hatred for Kuroko, so Kuroko is definitely the most notable series this year, even if it's not the best.

RLinksoul

Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!. It pretty much takes the best of each genre(SoL, Comedey, Action, Romance, Drama) and mixes it up into one unhateable series.

Opinions will vary on that one, but then... opinions vary on everything.

For me the winner of 2012 was Yuru Yuri♪♪ That is assuming a second season of an anime from last year counts.

Born Better

God of Lightning
I nominate Kuroko's Basketball. The show itself is pretty average (unless you're into slash fiction), but the fact that it motivated a hater to resort to domestic terrorism is pretty notable. People all over Japan are currently being affected by some guy's murderous hatred for Kuroko, so Kuroko is definitely the most notable series this year, even if it's not the best.
Da hayul?!When did this happen?

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Out of what I've seen this year:

Best Series
Hyouka
Fate Zero Part 2 Electric Boogaloo
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Hunter x Hunter (The Phantom Troupe Arc)

Most disappointing
Euraka Seven AO

Best feel-good show
Chihayafuru
Tsuritama
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
Space Brothers

Best Action
Fate Zero
Sword Art Online
Hunter x Hunter
Black☆Rock Shooter
Jormungand

Funniest
Acchi Kocchi
Nisemonogatari

Most "feels"
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Kids on the Slope
Kokoro Connect

Worst Ending
Mirai Nikki
Kore Wa Zombie Desu ka? Of the Dead

And Lupin III wins for best unique art style or something.

Nominate Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! because, well, it's Chu-2. It's self-explanatory. Anyone who's watched it would know why; those who haven't should. Comedy, romance, school, action and, to a certain extent, fantasy all coming together in 12 lovable episodes. Plus it's Kyo-Ani.

It's still happening, Kuroko no Basket is banned from Comiket 83 due to the threats, and a number of events have also been cancelled due to them.
And despite all that, Kuroko no Basket still gets a line of perfume.

Samantha Sparks

In my opinion, the award should go to Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!. While not what one would call a faithful adaptation, it definitely is the greatest love story ever told. That is, depending on the ending.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo deserves a rather honourable mention. Yet another great love story, although predictable in terms of romance. I do want to see more development in Sorata's and Shiina's relationship.

While not exactly great, Sword Art Online is highly entertaining. Based on the sales, Season 2 won't be far. While it wasn't really as good as I anticipated, I'm a hundred percent positive the first arc of Season 2 will redeem this series.

Accel World, without a doubt, had better writing than SAO. In addition to that, the main character was less of a Mary Sue and more hardworking. I am truly shocked why few mention it.

AceFlonne

Mediator
I nominate Kuroko no Basket for being a great sports series and having a good adaptation and Chuunibyou for great comedy,romance and action.

I would nominate Little Busters but the adaptation's still new

Last edited:

Samantha Sparks

The problem with Accel World is that MC is a basketball.

In the original source material, aka the LNs, he was taller, about only a couple heads shorter than Taku.
Yeah, I'm not really one to judge fictional characters by appearance, that is, when it comes to character development.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
In the original source material, aka the LNs, he was taller, about only a couple heads shorter than Taku.
Yeah, I'm not really one to judge fictional characters by appearance, that is, when it comes to character development.

I don't usually judge characters on appearance, and I actually do like Accel World, I just can't get past the fact he is a basketball.