• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Pet Peeves

CuriousHeartless

For one thing, yeah, having the anime end on a weird note so you have to read the manga is pretty lame, but sometimes that happens. I think Shaman King ended like that in the anime (I don't know yet, haven't gotten around to watching it), but considering the manga did end up ending on a strange note anyway until it was picked back up... I'm sure there's one other show out there that did this similar to Soul Eater... well... didn't the Trigun anime end on a midway-point with the manga, if I read up on it correctly? Even then, the anime still had a great, satisfying conclusion, so either way, when they adapted it, they wrote it in such a way that it would end on a good note, yet keep a slight ambiguity. I personally like that in most shows if that was the style of it to begin with.

Well there is a bit of a difference. While there may have been more story in the Trigun manga, it isn't really necessary for the anime. Now you want a show where the manga is necessary, try for season three of The World God Only Knows. Or the original Berserk anime where it literally just cut off. If they can give a satisfying conclusion and at least wrap up what they have introduced, an anime can be only a section of the manga it is adapting. Also, like I said, Soul Eater didn't require reading the manga, I just really disliked the ending.

As for Evangelion, remember, they were running on a tight budget. The last two episodes happened because of money problems, and also because I think the networks wouldn't air the true ending (which became End of Evangelion, and thus is a better conclusion--though some fans will tell you otherwise). Honestly, the TV ending doesn't bother me, and it was rather thought-provoking about the series. It's still a bad ending because it's more of an "easier said than done" ending, to say the least, but it does fit into the continuity of the show, in some ways. Either way, the characters remain mentally broken, one ending just has a more... disturbing take on it than the other, yet it really does end nicely.

I won't deny that they had monetary problems, and probably some production issues. But that also applies to The Thief and the Cobbler (Minus about 30 years), and that is still not a good movie. I understand that it can't be helped, but that doesn't make it good.

So sadly, there's nothing we can do if an anime has a bad ending because we have no control over the adaptation, budget, and ratings (which all come to play in some form or another). I honestly haven't run into a lot of anime that end on a bad note, and even if they did, unless the show itself was bad, they don't necessarily bother me. I mean, for one thing, I may not know of the manga to begin with (which probably helps my personal enjoyment so that way I'm not fretting over various things such as "How are they going to do such-and-such, this-and-that?"), and the other is sometimes they do foreshadow what the ending is going to be like. Sometimes they don't, but if it fits well-enough into that particular continuity, I'm not going to complain.

Not going to argue with you, you do have a point. But I personally find the ending a very important part of a show that should help tie things together and bring it to the end. When a show has a bad ending, it can taint my entire opinion of the show. All personal opinions and conjecture at this point.

Well... the anime adaptation of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro ended weird, but I still enjoyed it, even if the final arc or two felt a bit out-of-place. But that's as close to a complaint I have when it comes to this sort of thing.

And I have no idea what that last show is. Weird and bad are very much two different things, though. The season finales of The World God Only Knows (Seasons 1 and 2 at least) were weird and bad. The series finale for Soul Eater was not really weird but was bad. The Kill la Kill finale was weird but excellent.

Replies in bold. You have very good points and I'm not going to act like you have a bad opinion. I don't fully agree though. In fact, thanks for making me think about things.

GhostlyMaiden

Old User: OtakuGamer
And I have no idea what that last show is. Weird and bad are very much two different things, though. The series finale for Soul Eater was not really weird but was bad.

ALL ABOUT BRAVERY MAN! But yeah that was terrible.

I hate it when animes don't give the main character any character development! Usually they give to the characters that don't even need it!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Really long name for anime. I am looking at you "The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior."

In that particular it's at least only the English name. But yeah, some anime names are getting tough to remember.

Good Lord, that's really true. At least they all (should, anyway) have synonyms (e.g. AnoHana, NouCome). The above-mentioned title will probably get a synonym eventually.

Well there is a bit of a difference. While there may have been more story in the Trigun manga, it isn't really necessary for the anime. Now you want a show where the manga is necessary, try for season three of The World God Only Knows. Or the original Berserk anime where it literally just cut off. If they can give a satisfying conclusion and at least wrap up what they have introduced, an anime can be only a section of the manga it is adapting.

Oh yeah, forgot about Berserk. But sure, I don't expect an anime to completely adapt an entire manga, so if it has to end, it would be nice to have a good conclusion, though it wouldn't hurt to tweak the anime a bit so it goes its own way, like 2003's Fullmetal Alchemist, and even Fruits Basket had to change it up some for the anime (though Natsuki Takaya was involved to begin with). But it all depends on the director in the end.

I won't deny that they had monetary problems, and probably some production issues. But that also applies to The Thief and the Cobbler (Minus about 30 years), and that is still not a good movie. I understand that it can't be helped, but that doesn't make it good.

It was after Miramax got a hold on it that it turned into a bad movie. The original Recobbled Cut is excellent, even though it's not complete because of said-problems, but I don't know which one you saw. If you did see the Recobbled Cut and still didn't like it, that's too bad, but opinions are opinions, I can respect that.

Not going to argue with you, you do have a point. But I personally find the ending a very important part of a show that should help tie things together and bring it to the end. When a show has a bad ending, it can taint my entire opinion of the show. All personal opinions and conjecture at this point.

Sure, I understand that. I remember thinking the ending to CLANNAD when I first saw it felt out-of-place and rushed in order to give the audience a happy ending. But the more I watched it and did research on it, it began to make more sense, and I picked up on the subtle foreshadowing that was throughout the show.

Replies in bold. You have very good points and I'm not going to act like you have a bad opinion. I don't fully agree though. In fact, thanks for making me think about things.

No problem :).

When the animators add copious amounts filler because the anime is getting close to overtaking the manga.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
The Original Fullmetal Alchemist versus FMA Brotherhood debate annoys me some. But that is probably because I already have my opinion formed (Brotherhood is better as a whole, while the original is still a very good show and actually is better at some points) and don't care about the arguing. Strangely, I've had these debates far more in real life than on the internet. Not quite a pet peeve since this is more specific, but close.
Oh gosh, those debates scare me sometimes. >_< I like Brotherhood more as well, but '03 does feel more polished in some parts. (Compare the adorable kids scenes, for example. IMO they look better in 2003. Also, 2003 has Bratya.)
I really did not like 2003's ending... a lot of the stuff seemed thought up quickly for the sake of drama more than anything. Like (without giving away too much) the boy's fates, for example. I almost cried at the ending, but then I just started thinking "what...?". It felt like halfway through it had turned into a completely different show, although to be fair I changed from sub to dub at around episode 30, which was about the point where Wrath showed up. I was going to start watching Soul Eater and Brotherhood back-to-back the day after I finished FMA03, but I ditched SE halfway through the first episode so I could get onto Brohood so my interest in FMA... just... didn't... die.
/EndRamble

I also still need to finish Conqueror of Shamballa, though, but I SELF-SPOILED EEEVVERRRYTHING anyway.

teamaquagrunt

My pet peeve is when the anime seems good and funny but then turns into generic main character with harem anime. That's what turned me off with Sword Art Online.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
My pet peeve is when the anime seems good and funny but then turns into generic main character with harem anime. That's what turned me off with Sword Art Online.
Wait WHAT? I'm only nine episodes in...

teamaquagrunt

Wait WHAT? I'm only nine episodes in...

But didn't you notice with the Silica episode?? Every girl introduced has a thing for Kirito haha, not even kidding. I did finish watching the anime and read some light novels (yeah I don't know, I had nothing better to read/watch) despite that. You still might like it though, I mean it's really popular! It's just a thing that really annoyed me is all.

PokeBash

Pet peeves:

- Character's loved one(s) was murdered and they seek to avenge their death(s). I hate that this cliche is so prevalent that recent stories such as Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan cannot escape it. It's such a boring and overused goal and motivation.

- Characters' parents are usually dead or absent.

- Saiyan/Uchiha Syndrome: only characters of a special pedigree are strong and capable while everyone else who lost the genetic lottery is weak and useless.

- Characters still fight with swords or other medieval weapons instead of using more modern and advanced weapons despite being in a setting that's modern.

- Characters that fight don't have muscles and toned bodies.

J Ken

RAVE
Pet peeves of mine include

-When the animation for a scene I always wanted to see animated is horribly off model and just terrible and then it just ruins the moment for me.
-When a character is abruptly killed for no real reason despite their importance and potential beforehand.
-When one of my favorite characters of a show is a badass in the manga yet a total pushover in the anime.

CuriousHeartless

Pet peeves of mine include
-When one of my favorite characters of a show is a badass in the manga yet a total pushover in the anime.

Can you say Chazz Princeton (Or Manjyome Jun/Manyome Thunder if you prefer the Japanese)? Comparing his manga version to his anime version makes even his cool moments in the anime a bit disappointing.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
My pet peeves in anime are when the characters have really big eyes that it takes up a lot of their face. I also don't like characters where the word "cute" makes up the majority of what comes out of their mouth. I don't like how some female characters have really high pitch voices (it took me awhile to get used to Japanese Sailor Moon's voice). And...I don't like tsunderes. It was fun and interesting when they weren't so common, but now it's overused that it gets annoying. Rarely do I find an anime where they play the tsundere card right where it isn't overused to the point of irritating.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
When someone steals part of someone's lunch without asking, and everyone laughs it off. Like, how is that in any way an okay thing to do? I'm sure it's meant to be endearing, but I just find it incomprehensible that they can get away with that. It may seem like a small thing, but I find it so annoying!

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
People on here are saying that they don't like big eyes... funnily enough, I found the characters in the five-and-a-bit episodes I watched of Utawarerumono with normal eyes to be odd, besides Hakuro. Maybe it's because I didn't really see the Little Bit Beastly people as human?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't like how some female characters have really high pitch voices (it took me awhile to get used to Japanese Sailor Moon's voice).

Luckily, that trend of Japanese girls (more specifically females who weren't young children) sounding high-pitched to sound cute has been dying off. It was prevalent around that time, though.

Well, on the topic of big eyes, aversions do exist. Satoshi Kon made sure the characters looked Japanese, so the eyes were normal for the most part (though if they were a female protagonist, I noticed they were more wide-eyed). Similarly, Studio Ghibli shows the difference between Japanese and foreign characters through the eyes, as well as their facial features. I honestly do like it when anime attempts to differentiate from the norm, even though it's slightly jarring from the beginning.

Otherwise, the big eyes don't bother me (even though yeah, Kanon's eyes were rather ridiculous), but my mom's always pointing them out since she's certain that that's how the Japanese see Westerners--but I think that's less likely these days than it was back in, say, the '80s. I think the reason why it doesn't bother me is because Disney has done it for a long time, and considering one of Osamu Tezuka's inspirations was Disney...

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
This isn't entirely anime and manga exclusive, but sexualization... I've seen a few images of the Solatorobo mangas online and most of it seems to be (YOU-MIGHT-NOT-WANT-TO-READ-THE-REST-OF-THIS-POST-IF-YOU-GET-MENTALLY-SCARRED-EASILY WARNING) girls in their underwear. Did I forget to mention that Solatorobo is a game about anthropomorphic cats and dogs? O_O

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This isn't entirely anime and manga exclusive, but sexualization... I've seen a few images of the Solatorobo mangas online and most of it seems to be (YOU-MIGHT-NOT-WANT-TO-READ-THE-REST-OF-THIS-POST-IF-YOU-GET-MENTALLY-SCARRED-EASILY WARNING) girls in their underwear. Did I forget to mention that Solatorobo is a game about anthropomorphic cats and dogs? O_O

Welcome to the world of anime. If you didn't like how anthro-girls ran around in their underwear, you probably won't like most anime out there. (Though actually, anthro characters in anime's not that common, now that I think about it. Pretty unusual, usually they're cat/wolf/dog/bunny/whatever-girls, not full anthro.) An example is Elfen Lied which, while having a good story, is full of fetish fuel, ranging from boobs, gorn, moe, diapers, and a close-up of a young woman peeing on the floor among other things. Oh, and lolis put through things lolis should never be put through. They're probably more murderous here than they are in Higurashi, but at least they still keep their cute countenance during a rampage unlike Higurashi. (Unless you're really into those facial expressions.)

But you can usually tell if a character was made just to be a sex object/fetish fuel. Not that we don't do the same thing here, but anime's rather infamous for this. My guess is at least a quarter of all existing anime has sexualized one or more characters, usually female characters, but male characters have been getting this treatment as well. I'm not sure if hentai should be counted here since that's what it was made for to begin with.

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
^ Okay. But seriously, the game wasn't like that.

On a completely unrelated note, while I actually like dubs, I don't like it when characters sound as if their voice was done on a synthyzer, such as Gracia Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist or Urutori (or whatever Kamiyu's sister is called...) from Utawarerumono.