• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Pet Peeves

CuriousHeartless

I was rather surprised to see that we didn't have this thread already.

So, what are your pet peeves in anime? What just gets on your nerves? Grinds your gears? Rustles your jimmies? -Other euphemisms for annoying you-? If you can explain, tell us why they annoy you.

Also, please try to avoid bad acting, bad writing, or unnecessary fan-service because they are rather generic and most people dislike them.

J Ken

RAVE
A pet peeve of mine is when animes follow the story of the mangas they are based off so badly that they basically butcher the plot of the story. I also dislike when animes take creative liberties with fillers and end up creating unnecessary plot holes.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
When characters sport eyes half the size of their face; there's a fine line between "aww cute!", "alright" and "unsettling". The attached image is a screenshot from Kanon 2002. Speaking of which, it's the only Key VN adaption I find unsettling in terms of character design.

Attachments

• 1355195800913.jpg
    1355195800913.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
When characters sport eyes half the size of their face; there's a fine line between "aww cute!", "alright" and "unsettling". The attached image is a screenshot from Kanon 2002. Speaking of which, it's the only Key VN adaption I find unsettling in terms of character design.
That face may give me nightmares.

This one has only happened a few times, and it is kind of unavoidable, but when I come across a character that bears a huge resemblance to a character in another anime, it just irritates me.

Pfft, afraid of some panty shots? You'll soon become one of us in due time.

Mostly asspulls. Code Geass is one of those shows that's done this. For example:

Nunnally was toast when that Fleya exploded in R2. They never even explained how Schnizel saved her.

Also, when a character suddenly switches personality without any buildup of character development. Demon King Daimo did a very good job at doing this.

Vernikova

Champion
Manga: the Anime

Or "Main lead, Boy, is lusted over by different girls, but he doesn't notice any of them because he's oblivious."

Or very forced moments of awkward sexual contact.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
When an anime (or manga) starts off with an amazing premise, but just falls short when the story is supposedly coming to a close...

Also, those moments when there's too much talking and not much happening over the course of thirty minutes. =/ Dragon Ball Z is one that comes to mind at the moment. lol

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Just saying, most of what everyone's listed can apply to just about anything besides anime.

[sub]/smartass-nitpick[/sub]

Incest

So tired of this trash.

And like CC#06 said, incest. I don't like that stuff.

I hate it too, but it's easily avoidable if the anime/manga was known to have incest from the start. It's when there's surprise incest (and you can usually tell when it's a surprise) that it really gets on my nerves. Because then it means I have to quickly jump ship.

I also hate it when there's a kid character and they're a brat, and yet they expect us to like them. Case in point: Peashy from Hyperdimension Neptunia (animated adaptation, anyway, I don't know if she really acts like this to a "T" in the games). I know of no other character (or kid) off the top of my head that I wanted to strangle the most than her. Also does not help that she transforms into a full-grown woman with breasts that I think are bigger than (or as big as) Vert's, and the shots tended to linger on said-breasts. She's a freaking kid, the hell is wrong with you.

Which also brings me to lolicon/shotacon: the hell is wrong with you, why do you find children sexy and make anime dedicated to it, you sick f*cks.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
I also hate it when there's a kid character and they're a brat, and yet they expect us to like them. Case in point: Peashy from Hyperdimension Neptunia (animated adaptation, anyway, I don't know if she really acts like this to a "T" in the games). I know of no other character (or kid) off the top of my head that I wanted to strangle the most than her. Also does not help that she transforms into a full-grown woman with breasts that I think are bigger than (or as big as) Vert's, and the shots tended to linger on said-breasts. She's a freaking kid, the hell is wrong with you.

Which also brings me to lolicon/shotacon: the hell is wrong with you, why do you find children sexy and make anime dedicated to it, you sick f*cks.

*clap* I pretty much agree with you on this. I don't play the Neptunia games (my brother does and sometimes I watch him play them) nor have I seen the anime adaptation yet, but I know of the character you are talking about. It really surprised me that Peashy turns into a woman when she transforms. lol

As for the loli/shota thing, I mostly agree with you on that. ;P

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Just saying, most of what everyone's listed can apply to just about anything besides anime.

Well unless you've got something like Game of Thrones for the incest thing. They definitely put that in a negative light from the start.

I hate it too, but it's easily avoidable if the anime/manga was known to have incest from the start. It's when there's surprise incest (and you can usually tell when it's a surprise) that it really gets on my nerves. Because then it means I have to quickly jump ship.

Agreed completely. I'm looking at you, Monogatari Series.

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
One little thing that really annoys me in anime is when they just say the character's name instead of something like "Are you OK?". It's also often used when a character's thinking or worrying about another character. Just once in a while doesn't bother me, but sometimes it's way overdone.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Well unless you've got something like Game of Thrones for the incest thing. They definitely put that in a negative light from the start.

For the most part, I've noticed that anything dealing with incest outside of Japan is shown in a negative light regardless of source material.

I think the problem with incest in anime is that they make it erotic and fan-servicey (complete with stupid excuses like "We took baths as children~" and the like) and/or the fact that the siblings turn out to not really be full-blooded siblings after all, so it makes it "okay". (Even though it still raises eyebrows in Western society, we can probably exclude dating/married cousins in this case since it is legal over in Japan, if not most Asian countries.) The only anime I actually didn't mind that dealt with incest was Koi Kaze, if only because it approached it with a mature mindset, and was very plausible--because stuff like that happens. And yes, I knew what I was getting into, and I did watch it all at once to get it out of the way, but I found myself pleased with it. I wasn't too emotionally-attached to the characters (though I did feel sorry for them), but I found it rather interesting.

Yelsew

I actually enjoy when they don't follow the manga completely, or not at all honestly.. I don't see a point reading the story then watching the same exact story.. Be like if comics had one story but just kept redoing the same story completely with little to no change in between runs. It would be.. boring?

What does drive me up the wall is when something happens that isn't explained completely or they barely touch on the subject but that something is actually kind of important.. Or more so when you see something happening or how a character acts but its never explained.. That drives me up the wall.

CuriousHeartless

Just realized I never gave input in my own thread.

I really hate bad endings. Soul Eater got knocked down multiple levels in my opinion by the ending. Anything that makes you go read the manga to get a full story (Not Soul Eater, that's bad for a different reason) is pretty crappy. And, while I've never seen it, the infamous last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion come to mind.

While I don't mind when an anime differs from the source material, it does need some things for me to like it. The anime should either outspeed the manga (Fullmetal Alchemist), fix a plothole (no idea for examples here), cut out unnecessary things (All the limb losses in Bleach that get healed anyways so it feels needlessly gory for them to be lost in the first place). These won't make me just accept all the changes without thought, but some kind of actual justification helps. Pointless changes without an excuse do annoy me though (Can't think of an anime example right now, but think the Percy Jackson movie).

The Original Fullmetal Alchemist versus FMA Brotherhood debate annoys me some. But that is probably because I already have my opinion formed (Brotherhood is better as a whole, while the original is still a very good show and actually is better at some points) and don't care about the arguing. Strangely, I've had these debates far more in real life than on the internet. Not quite a pet peeve since this is more specific, but close.

Sad endings for happy shows. I hate this for any media. A comedy does not need out of the blue drama and sadness to end satisfyingly. It reminds me of every break-up movie ever made and how they all have the 'accidental misunderstanding that breaks up the main couple for twenty minutes', and in turn reminds me of how much I think that specific plot should go die.

Again, a specific annoyance, but it is still a pet peeve for an anime. In Baka and Test, all the jokes about Hideyoshi looking 'girly'. It was funny the first couple times. Then it just got creepy and relied on way too much stupidity even for that show. Really, if it wasn't for Kouta I probably would have quit that show early.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
My pet peeves other than listed in the top post would be the fillers, the new designs, how Ash only has 45/718 pokemon, and Ash's nails. Anime characters with nails bug me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I really hate bad endings. Soul Eater got knocked down multiple levels in my opinion by the ending. Anything that makes you go read the manga to get a full story (Not Soul Eater, that's bad for a different reason) is pretty crappy. And, while I've never seen it, the infamous last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion come to mind.

For one thing, yeah, having the anime end on a weird note so you have to read the manga is pretty lame, but sometimes that happens. I think Shaman King ended like that in the anime (I don't know yet, haven't gotten around to watching it), but considering the manga did end up ending on a strange note anyway until it was picked back up... I'm sure there's one other show out there that did this similar to Soul Eater... well... didn't the Trigun anime end on a midway-point with the manga, if I read up on it correctly? Even then, the anime still had a great, satisfying conclusion, so either way, when they adapted it, they wrote it in such a way that it would end on a good note, yet keep a slight ambiguity. I personally like that in most shows if that was the style of it to begin with.

As for Evangelion, remember, they were running on a tight budget. The last two episodes happened because of money problems, and also because I think the networks wouldn't air the true ending (which became End of Evangelion, and thus is a better conclusion--though some fans will tell you otherwise). Honestly, the TV ending doesn't bother me, and it was rather thought-provoking about the series. It's still a bad ending because it's more of an "easier said than done" ending, to say the least, but it does fit into the continuity of the show, in some ways. Either way, the characters remain mentally broken, one ending just has a more... disturbing take on it than the other, yet it really does end nicely.

So sadly, there's nothing we can do if an anime has a bad ending because we have no control over the adaptation, budget, and ratings (which all come to play in some form or another). I honestly haven't run into a lot of anime that end on a bad note, and even if they did, unless the show itself was bad, they don't necessarily bother me. I mean, for one thing, I may not know of the manga to begin with (which probably helps my personal enjoyment so that way I'm not fretting over various things such as "How are they going to do such-and-such, this-and-that?"), and the other is sometimes they do foreshadow what the ending is going to be like. Sometimes they don't, but if it fits well-enough into that particular continuity, I'm not going to complain.

Well... the anime adaptation of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro ended weird, but I still enjoyed it, even if the final arc or two felt a bit out-of-place. But that's as close to a complaint I have when it comes to this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Really long name for anime. I am looking at you "The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior."

In that particular it's at least only the English name. But yeah, some anime names are getting tough to remember.

Light novel names are crazy.

Going off of this, another anime pet peeve would be large amounts of adaptations instead of them doing their own things. It's awful.