• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime Questions V2 *READ BEFORE MAKING NEW THREADS*

randomspot555

Hello guys, hope you are all having a great day!

My question is, was there ever an episode called "A Kiss Under the Mistletoe", where Ash kisses someone? My friend says there was, but when ever I look for it online I turn up with nothing! Hope you guys can help me, and hope you all have a great day!
-JPS97

No. Ash has never kissed anyone (though he was kissed by that girl/Latias in that one movie or something?) and hasn't had any non-platonic feelings for a female character since School of Hard Knocks.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Hello guys, hope you are all having a great day!

My question is, was there ever an episode called "A Kiss Under the Mistletoe", where Ash kisses someone? My friend says there was, but when ever I look for it online I turn up with nothing! Hope you guys can help me, and hope you all have a great day!
-JPS97

Not an episode, but there is a song like this! Under the Mistletoe

As usual, well-performed by the 4Kids VAs.

JPS97

Advanceshipper
Alright, thanks for all your help guys. My friend is going to be sad but thanks for clearing up this rumor!
-JPS97

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Any 4kids created love song is nonsense anyway and is no way endorsed by the Japanese writers.

4kids thought Arbok evolved into Seviper so it's best to ignore them.

pokemon fan 132

No. Ash has never kissed anyone (though he was kissed by that girl/Latias in that one movie or something?) and hasn't had any non-platonic feelings for a female character since School of Hard Knocks.

Well Melody in second movie gave him welcomed kiss, if that counts.

Any 4kids created love song is nonsense anyway and is no way endorsed by the Japanese writers.

4kids thought Arbok evolved into Seviper so it's best to ignore them.

It seems 4kids loved to promote idea of pokeshipping back in day quite a lot, favoring this pairing. After all they also created Misty song.

Although to be honest they only expanded on what was started in original Japanese version, which had several hints about romantic affection coming from Misty side. Not that im a shipper or anything, just wanted to clear up how originally idea didn't came from dubbing company.

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I've been watching Pokemon since I was three, but I just thought of this now.

What is the meaning of the name "Ash"? Why did 4Kids choose to use it? I am aware that his name in the original Japanese version is Satoshi, and what does that name mean as well?

I kind of tried to look up Ash, but all I got was that it means "ash tree".

I'm aware that all of the other characters (for the most part) have rather obvious name meanings, like Misty (having to do with water) and Brock, and even the whole "Jessie James" thing, but where did they get "Ash" from?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Satoshi was named after the creator of Pokemon.

It isn't as clear where the name Ash is from. It is the default name for Red in the localized version of Red and Blue, but those games were released locally after the anime premiered (the opposite was true in Japan). They were originally going to give him a name with a more obvious origin: Casey. Incidentally, Casey Ketchum wouldn't have fit the mouth flaps for " Satoshi " but Ash Ketchum did. Ash had a tendency to introduce himself by full name back in the day probably for that reason.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY

It isn't as clear where the name Ash is from. It is the default name for Red in the localized version of Red and Blue, but those games were released locally after the anime premiered (the opposite was true in Japan). They were originally going to give him a name with a more obvious origin: Casey. Incidentally, Casey Ketchum wouldn't have fit the mouth flaps for " Satoshi " but Ash Ketchum did. Ash had a tendency to introduce himself by full name back in the day probably for that reason.

Oh, duh, I forgot about that first one (Satoshi Tajiri).

The second thing is interesting. I don't know where they would get "Casey" from either. If I ever meet the 4Kids dubbers it'll be something great to ask them!

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I linked to an explanation of the name Casey: after a talented fictional character who ultimately fails due to overconfidence.

If that doesn't say something about Ash's entire career as a Trainer I don't know what does. :I

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I linked to an explanation of the name Casey: after a talented fictional character who ultimately fails due to overconfidence.

If that doesn't say something about Ash's entire career as a Trainer I don't know what does. :I

Well, in early Kanto this was certainly true, such as against his battle with AJ. Based on the amount of episodes 4Kids was aware of by the time the series started in the US, it would have been an accurate name.

Ash kept that extreme confidence throughout the Indigo League (especially in that first battle against Mandi), but in the battle he lost to Ritchie he did not seem to possess it.

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad they stuck with Ash. It's more unique and memorable!

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

It isn't as clear where the name Ash is from. It is the default name for Red in the localized version of Red and Blue, but those games were released locally after the anime premiered (the opposite was true in Japan).

They were clearly translated before that, and the names used in both the game AND the anime were clearly invented by the game translators, not the 4Kids writers. The game gives three default names for the main character in Pokemon Red/rival character in Pokemon Blue - "Red", "Satoshi" and "Jack" in the original Japanese version, and "Red", "Ash" and "Jack" in the English translation. Since the Japanese version of the anime used "Satoshi", the second of these names, the dub went with what the English translation had as its second option for this character's name: Ash.

The exact same was done with Shigeru ("Gary") and Jun ("Barry").

porygonfan

In the episode "Love, Petalburg Style"; May's Mom holds up a photo of her and her husband with 3 Beautifly, the top 2 are normal colored, but the bottom one has a black body! I got a screenshot of it, it's noticable, so, did I find another odd colored Pokemon? photo.JPG

An00bis

Wicked Witch
No. It's clearly facing away from the camera.

If you're having a hard time seeing it ... the antennae are curved back towards us and you can see a bit of its face in the upper left hand corner.

I got a question.

In the second Pokemon movie, Lugia uses an attack which is orange. It is like a hyperbeam but delivered in a different manner. Is that an aeroblast or a hyperbeam? Because in the anime episodes Lugia uses a blue beam.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I got a question.

In the second Pokemon movie, Lugia uses an attack which is orange. It is like a hyperbeam but delivered in a different manner. Is that an aeroblast or a hyperbeam? Because in the anime episodes Lugia uses a blue beam.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lugia_(M02) It was indeed Aeroblast.

Question: Misty's ear-pulling a Brock became quite the hilarious habit throughout Johto. I have a feeling that it started in late Kanto, but can someone give me the episode where it all began? I know the Original Series so well and it bothers me that I can't pinpoint it myself.

randomspot555

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lugia_(M02) It was indeed Aeroblast.

Question: Misty's ear-pulling a Brock became quite the hilarious habit throughout Johto. I have a feeling that it started in late Kanto, but can someone give me the episode where it all began? I know the Original Series so well and it bothers me that I can't pinpoint it myself.

Didn't she do it to Tracey in Orange?

dman_dustin

This is just a question I'm wondering, that the only thing I want is feedback, not necessarily a "case closed" answer since without actually asking a writer it can't have a "question answered, case closed" kind of answer.

What I'm wondering is why the writers kind of refuse to have a Pokemon use electric moves against electric Pokemon or even against Grass types?

There's been two instances where this has bugged me. And one instance covers both my examples.

The league battle with Paul, and the Battle with Elesa.

Now I can understand why Pikachu shouldn't have used electric type moves against Paul's Electivire, because of motor drive, but why did that stop the writers from using electric moves against Pikachu?

Or why Elesa didn't have Emolga use electric type moves against Snivy or Pikachu or Tynamo only using its one move that isn't an electric type. Even Pikachu didn't use electric attacks very much against Emolga who is part flying making electric types do neutral damage to it.

Now the reason they give is because it doesn't do much damage. But isn't any kind of damage regardless of how little is afflicted upon the opponent a good thing?

Because look at Snivy and Pawniard, same problem, Snivy's attacks wouldn't do very much at all, and yet it was all it had and managed to beat it.

Sure I can see how abilities, and secondary typing could make the situation worse with a grass/electric with no ability would basically be dealt any damage.

But if I'm not mistaken even 1/4 damage of the attack is still 1/4 damage. And even though I can't think of any examples, I'm sure there are Pokemon that have been knocked out with a 1/4 damage attack.

So I want some feedback, why don't the writers really use electric attacks vs Grass or Electric Pokemon that have no additional abilities or secondary type? It's still going to do some damage. Plus they aren't shy about other 1/2, or 1/4 damage moves for other type match ups. So why is it that electric and grass get special treatment against electric type moves in that the trainers don't try to use those electric type moves?

Pokeshipper:)

This is just a question I'm wondering, that the only thing I want is feedback, not necessarily a "case closed" answer since without actually asking a writer it can't have a "question answered, case closed" kind of answer.

What I'm wondering is why the writers kind of refuse to have a Pokemon use electric moves against electric Pokemon or even against Grass types?

There's been two instances where this has bugged me. And one instance covers both my examples.

The league battle with Paul, and the Battle with Elesa.

Now I can understand why Pikachu shouldn't have used electric type moves against Paul's Electivire, because of motor drive, but why did that stop the writers from using electric moves against Pikachu?

Or why Elesa didn't have Emolga use electric type moves against Snivy or Pikachu or Tynamo only using its one move that isn't an electric type. Even Pikachu didn't use electric attacks very much against Emolga who is part flying making electric types do neutral damage to it.

Now the reason they give is because it doesn't do much damage. But isn't any kind of damage regardless of how little is afflicted upon the opponent a good thing?

Because look at Snivy and Pawniard, same problem, Snivy's attacks wouldn't do very much at all, and yet it was all it had and managed to beat it.

Sure I can see how abilities, and secondary typing could make the situation worse with a grass/electric with no ability would basically be dealt any damage.

But if I'm not mistaken even 1/4 damage of the attack is still 1/4 damage. And even though I can't think of any examples, I'm sure there are Pokemon that have been knocked out with a 1/4 damage attack.

So I want some feedback, why don't the writers really use electric attacks vs Grass or Electric Pokemon that have no additional abilities or secondary type? It's still going to do some damage. Plus they aren't shy about other 1/2, or 1/4 damage moves for other type match ups. So why is it that electric and grass get special treatment against electric type moves in that the trainers don't try to use those electric type moves?

The writers probably favor those types. Just a guess...

Vernikova

Champion

"You're looking into this far too much" is the only good feedback you're going to get. I remember Pikachu using an Electric-type attack on Bulbasaur way back when they show started and I'm sure there are other examples as well if you look hard enough.