1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anime rivals development

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Hanto, Jun 21, 2019.

1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

You mean third. Ash had Alain as the first edgy rival of the string.

Zoruagible and LilligantLewis like this.
  2. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Alain didn’t really strike me as edgy; mostly just brooding and a hero complex but I could see it.

3. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Am I supposed to laugh?"

Dressed in dark clothing (for whatever reason coughedgycough) from his lab getup? Check.

Anti-social with irrational ideas tossed in for good measure? Check.

Uses a whole bunch of serious-looking Pokemon (except the strange Unfezant)? Check.

Likes growling like a madman? Check.

Screws everyone in battle real good without a single hint of emotion? Check.

Is completely immune to comedic antics and can only look the other way? Check.

Brushes everyone off because they're low in his list of priorities except a pushy girl and a guy who owns a super legendary form he constantly burned to death? Check.

Boss has a lion's mane fused to hair and beard and wears dark clothing as well? Check.

Apparently modeled after Anakin Skywalker, the epitome of edginess? Check.

Yes, he brooded, but he was edgy as ****.

4. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Beet reminds me of Shinji after reading more about his goal in the games, although he seems somewhat more like a potential villain to me than just another serious rival. I hope that his anime persona is at least consistent with his game counterpart, and that Hop will become more like Jun or Hau and serve as the friendly rival for Satoshi.

Emelie likes this.
  5. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Was Barry really a friendly rival? I mean he undermined Ash a lot and insulted him.

Emelie likes this.
  6. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Bede looks different, he has that 'stuck up' look about him. Besides it's about time the anime and game had a rival that was an asshole again.

Won't fault you on Hopp though, I hope he doesn't show up at all. He is Hau's Galar form and nothing more. Same animations, relations to a powerful trainer in the region, clearly the underdog rival....

I just hope they don't do with Marnie what they did with Gladion, give her a team that practically screams 'edgelord'. Gladion has Midnight Lycanroc(The edgy one), Silvally(Edgy legendary), Zoroark(Lucario's edgy cousin whose nowhere as cool as the original), and Umbreon... So basically I hope they don't throw Corviknight and Obstagoon on her team just because of her edgy appearance

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I don't remember him insulting Satoshi, although I haven't watched the DP saga in ages so who knows, maybe I'm forgetting. But I mostly meant that despite Jun's tendency to be rather blunt and quick to anger, he was less of a jerk than Shinji at least.

8. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

How are Zoroark and Lucario related? Is it just because they are both the only two non-legendaries to get featured roles in movies?