• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime: TV vs movies?

Anime TV or movies?

• TV shows

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Movies

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
So, anime is awesome. We all know that. But here's a question that's become very relevant, what with anime movies becoming just as popular in america as TV shows, such as dragonball Z and pokemon. We've had the Studio Ghibli movies, which have led the way for many dubbed series released in the US and Europe. So which do you favor?

Personally, I prefer anime movies. The first anime I ever saw(and knew to be an anime) was Castle in the Sky, a Studio Ghibli film, so I've always instinctively favored movies. On top of this, I feel that many successful anime TV shows are adaptations of manga. I don't think that's a bad thing,a s FMA brotherhood and Death Note are some of my favorite anime of all time, but I feel like higher amounts of originality tend to lead to anime I find more enjoyable, as more wholly original experience.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I prefer watching anime TV series. It gives the story told a lot more time to unfold, develop and surprise you. You get to know the characters more and care for them. I'm not saying the amount of content beats quality, but when you have a show with the same quality as a movie you get much much more to enjoy from it.

That said, I definitely need to watch more Studio Ghibli movies.

ViperQueen

RAWR!!!
I prefer watching the series as well.

1- Is that its longer (Leaders/enemies doesn't get defeated so easily)
2- You get to know more about characters (Its like watch a bleach movie... if a person didn't watch the tv series they would be like: "what? robes and now no robes/ where is there one person that has orange hair"...etc lol)
3- Sometimes there is more opening and ending songs

Unless the movies are movie only and no series then I would say movies.
Like Miyazaki films lol (Great movies)

PKMN Trainer Rex

~'3'~ Swalot face
What Charizard Champ and ViperQueen said, anime series. And for the same reasons too.

And I also agree with ViperQueen about the Miyazaki films.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
I can't decide. When it comes to overall quality, great soundtrack, and warm-fluffiness, then anime movies are top-notch. However, anime series can provide much better insight on much more complex characters and can provide a more expanded story.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
TV series, I've never been excited about anime movies. It's like movies and television shows in general.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
it depends, really. Are you talking about original movies, or movies based off of series? Though either way, I'd be willing to go with TV series. Sure, the production values aren't as high, but the length (often times a minimum of one cours, or twelve episodes) lends itself well to forming a nicely complex, intricately woven story with well-developed characters.... given, in most cases, they just screw around with filler, but there are a few series that utilize their running time to perfect effect. Also, while a lot of people gush over the likes of Miyazaki and all, I just honestly can't put most of his movies within my list of top favorite anime (though they're still great, usually)... I really enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (still need to see Summer Wars, though), but yeah, overall it's the TV series I'm most interested in.

And of course, if you are asking about series-based movies, then I think that's a no-brainer: in almost all cases, the TV series follows a proper adaptation of the original manga (or whatever source there was, assuming there was one), whilst the movies are just some side plot with no real relation, or even just a retelling in some cases. Not to say they can't still be awesome (Castle of Cagliostro), or even be part of the original canon (Strong World, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), but in the majority of cases... well, you end up with something like this.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
I prefer the TV shows.

The movies are really emotional and all, especially the very first Pokemon movie where Ash dies and then got revived mintues later.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
The movies are really emotional and all, especially the very first Pokemon movie where Ash dies and then got revived mintues later.

I can't tell if you're trying be be sarcastic or not (internet, hard to read tone through text).

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
I can't tell if you're trying be be sarcastic or not (internet, hard to read tone through text).

No, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just saying that the movies aren't good enough for me to watch since there's always a 50% chance where it always become emotional (comedy movies doesn't count, though).