• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime vs Spe Manga

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I don't remember most of the early parts of the manga and I don't read the post-Sinnoh arcs so I can't say for sure if the manga is better but I do remember liking the characters in the manga more because they aren't as cliche as the characters in Pokemon and they aren't given the same restrictions. Just look at Red and how much he achieved in Kanto alone compared to what Ash did in the same region in the original series. :p

I think that Red was allowed all that freedom and achievements because the writer planned ahead of time to replace him with Yellow, then Gold, and then several other protagonists afterwards. So since Red had a limited amount of panel-time in the manga, he was allowed to do lots of important things in a small span of time compared to Satoshi.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I think that Red was allowed all that freedom and achievements because the writer planned ahead of time to replace him with Yellow, then Gold, and then several other protagonists afterwards. So since Red had a limited amount of panel-time in the manga, he was allowed to do lots of important things in a small span of time compared to Satoshi.
Also IMO ash is kinda much more believable, he started out and didn't just become better at it then everyone else, some who had been training for years and suddenly a 10 year old comes and easily defeats them. I do like red but I like ash more coz i think his journey is more realistic and it should take that much time to become the best

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerGoldenhandtheJust said:
Also IMO ash is kinda much more believable, he started out and didn't just become better at it then everyone else, some who had been training for years and suddenly a 10 year old comes and easily defeats them. I do like red but I like ash more coz i think his journey is more realistic and it should take that much time to become the best

I definitely agree that Satoshi is the more believable character by comparison to Red since Red's progress was abnormal to me. Satoshi was less impressive overall, but at least it made sense in the context of the anime series where one of the recurring lessons that's been present since the beginning of the anime is that no matter how strong a trainer is, there's always someone better.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I definitely agree that Satoshi is the more believable character by comparison to Red since Red's progress was abnormal to me. Satoshi was less impressive overall, but at least it made sense in the context of the anime series where one of the recurring lessons that's been present since the beginning of the anime is that no matter how strong a trainer is, there's always someone better.
It is why i love Satoshi and Shigeru actually and mostly Pokégirls becuse that

BabaVanga

I prefer Red's progression tbh, I think it better reflects the spirit of the games when you're supposed to be that incredibly talented kid that exceeds all expectations and manages to beat more experienced trainers. It could've work just fine within the anime conidering the strong bond Ash has with his Pokémon.

Ash's progression isn't that much more believeable to me because while he's getting more experienced every region, he almost always use team of rookies barring Pikachu.

Redstar45

I prefer Red's progression tbh, I think it better reflects the spirit of the games when you're supposed to be that incredibly talented kid that exceeds all expectations and manages to beat more experienced trainers. It could've work just fine within the anime conidering the strong bond Ash has with his Pokémon.

Ash's progression isn't that much more believeable to me because while he's getting more experienced every region, he almost always use team of rookies barring Pikachu.
It is rpg game and supposed to be that easy start with it ! And rise a live creatures is not that easy to figure it out in rl and special manga or anime show that !

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

One thing I like about Red's origins over Ash's is how it kicks off. Red when we originally meet him thinks the world revolves around him, that he's already the strongest trainer because he's pretty much beaten every trainer in Pallet Town aside from two missing characters and thus he's not interested in starting a Pokemon journey yet because he thinks he's already the very best. The kid never set foot outside of Pallet Town and thus he never got to experience what powerful trainers and Pokemon are truly like. The moment when he decides to take a Pokemon journey is when he gets a taste of harsh reality when he encounters Mew who proves to be much more powerful than he can handle. You can really see the feeling that "I'm not the very best" sink in on his face after that and it's that moment when he decides, he needs to go out and see the world for himself.

Redstar45

One thing I like about Red's origins over Ash's is how it kicks off. Red when we originally meet him thinks the world revolves around him, that he's already the strongest trainer because he's pretty much beaten every trainer in Pallet Town aside from two missing characters and thus he's not interested in starting a Pokemon journey yet because he thinks he's already the very best. The kid never set foot outside of Pallet Town and thus he never got to experience what powerful trainers and Pokemon are truly like. The moment when he decides to take a Pokemon journey is when he gets a taste of harsh reality when he encounters Mew who proves to be much more powerful than he can handle. You can really see the feeling that "I'm not the very best" sink in on his face after that and it's that moment when he decides, he needs to go out and see the world for himself.
And this why i don't like it as red is overrated mc of Pokemon special manga hell give blue (f) a start of main manga as i feel more sorry for her then most Pokemon special manga character!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I will say that I think that despite the anime's usual flaws, it does a better job of showing on-screen training among the main cast. The manga hardly covers training unless it's specialized training and even then it's a minor thing most of the time, which I've always been frustrated with since training is basically the essence of being a Pokemon trainer.

Redstar45

Something I feel the Anime does better overall than the manga is giving development to the trainer's pokemon.
Yeah p.s. Pokemon personality badly done in the manga !

shoz999

Something I feel the Anime does better overall than the manga is giving development to the trainer's pokemon.
Maybe in terms of quantity but in terms of quality, I feel like the manga does better in this category. For example Ruby's Feebas has one of, if not the best character development I've ever seen from a Pokemon, even better than Ash's Chimchar in my opinion.

Redstar45

Maybe in terms of quantity but in terms of quality, I feel like the manga does better in this category. For example Ruby's Feebas has one of, if not the best character development I've ever seen from a Pokemon, even better than Ash's Chimchar in my opinion.
No it turn into a ruby pit crap and less feebas character development!

shoz999

One thing I like about the manga over the anime are the battles. In the anime, most battles tend to a bunch of these flashy dodge-and-hit fights in the name of a sport but in Adventures, the battles are necessary, strategic and require more thought into every action they make that they resemble more closely to the battles found in online Pokemon battles in the games where even battles between two pro-battlers can end shortly based on the decisions they make, that even a extremely powerful pseudo-legendary like Garchomp can be one-shot by a frail but fast Weavile if the Garchomp's trainer is being careless for even one turn. I feel that Pokemon Adventures best captures the kind of thinking found in the online battles of the games. They aren't always 3 vs. 3 battles but the trainer's input is far more important here than it is in the anime, one decision can end a match quickly or be a devastating loss. There are prolonged battles and a Pokemon can seem invincible to another if the level difference is too vast. Ultimately I think why I like Pokemon Adventures battles more is because like Competitive Pokemon and JoJo's Bizarre Adventures which I am also a huge fan of, the battles are like, "Haha! I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew you were going to do that!"

Leonhart

Imagineer
shoz999 said:
One thing I like about the manga over the anime are the battles. In the anime, most battles tend to a bunch of these flashy dodge-and-hit fights in the name of a sport but in Adventures, the battles are necessary, strategic and require more thought into every action they make that they resemble more closely to the battles found in online Pokemon battles in the games where even battles between two pro-battlers can end shortly based on the decisions they make, that even a extremely powerful pseudo-legendary like Garchomp can be one-shot by a frail but fast Weavile if the Garchomp's trainer is being careless for even one turn. I feel that Pokemon Adventures best captures the kind of thinking found in the online battles of the games. They aren't always 3 vs. 3 battles but the trainer's input is far more important here than it is in the anime, one decision can end a match quickly or be a devastating loss. There are prolonged battles and a Pokemon can seem invincible to another if the level difference is too vast. Ultimately I think why I like Pokemon Adventures battles more is because like Competitive Pokemon and JoJo's Bizarre Adventures which I am also a huge fan of, the battles are like, "Haha! I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew that I knew you were going to do that!"

I do give the manga credit for being much more creative than the anime when it comes to battles. I think that anime battles are too predictable with all the dodging and convenient use of type advantages when the writers need an easy way to end a match, whereas the manga handles battles in a way that feels less contrived. I really wish that the anime writers would take a few extra lessons in battle choreography writing from people who know how to do that properly.

Redstar45

I do give the manga credit for being much more creative than the anime when it comes to battles. I think that anime battles are too predictable with all the dodging and convenient use of type advantages when the writers need an easy way to end a match, whereas the manga handles battles in a way that feels less contrived. I really wish that the anime writers would take a few extra lessons in battle choreography writing from people who know how to do that properly.
Actually i hate how battle in the Pokemon special manga which anime took game and making it realism

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:
Actually i hate how battle in the Pokemon special manga which anime took game and making it realism

How exactly did the anime make in-game battles more realistic? Because I don't think that anime battles truly handle the game mechanics well, at least not consistently. Then there's the fact that anime battles rely too much on evading attacks when it's convenient, and sometimes simply making up move combinations and tactics that would be impossible to do in the games.

Redstar45

How exactly did the anime make in-game battles more realistic? Because I don't think that anime battles truly handle the game mechanics well, at least not consistently. Then there's the fact that anime battles rely too much on evading attacks when it's convenient, and sometimes simply making up move combinations and tactics that would be impossible to do in the games.
Make Pokemon use as tool in fight is soo much better then .....no it doesn't as look like trainer do see their Pokemon as friends or family or something and fight just as bs as one in the Pokemon anime show but i DO not expect some fans of the manga do understand that (no sorry there is a fans do understand that feeling so i should knew that....)

Last edited:

shoz999

One thing I like about the battles in Pokemon Adventures is how it's a necessity rather than a sport like the anime, that it serves as important development for the characters, their Pokemon and their relationships with others such as friendships, rivalries, antagonistic relationship with villains. Although it lacks the training the anime offers consistently through various filler, in-return you get a lot of important fights that shine through that helps develop the characters on a consistent basis, a great example is Red's battle with his rival, Green Oak.

When these two first started out, they seem to absolutely be annoyed at each other's presence, constantly criticizing each other's methods and their way of thinking but by the time the Pokemon League finals hit, you truly see that the two are there not just as rivals but as respectable friends who have grown to learn so much from each other, especially Green Oak who once thought of Pokemon as tools has now grown to respect and even care for his Pokemon. That's one thing that I never really saw in Paul's rivalry in the anime which is an understandably popular rivalry but definitely has some flaws. We seem him grow up as a character after the battle is over, not during the battle as opposed to how we see Green Oak grow up as a character during and after the battle.