• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anime vs Spe Manga

Leonhart

Imagineer
mehmeh1 said:
Hmm, here's a major concept that has been handled in similar but different ways between both mediums: The Pokemon League

At the very least, I'll give props to the anime for showcasing the Leagues in a more realistic manner by making them large tournaments instead of limiting them to smaller venues the way that the manga has.

Phenocose

May be you should remove the spoiler part form the description if its against the rules because having it there make it look like its ok to post them here

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
May be you should remove the spoiler part form the description if its against the rules because having it there make it look like its ok to post them here
emmm..........wrong thread?

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Hmm, here's a major concept that has been handled in similar but different ways between both mediums: The Pokemon League

Is it bad that I like how Pokemon Adventures portrayed the Indigo League? The battles had more strategy and Red won unlike Ash who lost while barely making the top 16.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Is it bad that I like how Pokemon Adventures portrayed the Indigo League? The battles had more strategy and Red won unlike Ash who lost while barely making the top 16.
Not really. I like the Pokemon Adventures portrayal much better than the anime and the anime's first take on a Pokemon League is pretty good.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:

The Sekiei League was definitely handled better in Pokemon Special. I thought that the League felt more exciting in the manga because it was essentially the curtain call for Red's journey. Sure we saw him again in other chapters, but never to the same extent as we had in the R/G/B arc. So him winning that tournament felt like the proper ending to a good storyarc.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Eh i am okay with that Satoshi lose as ensure realty ideals in roots in whole thing about there is always to be a someone who is strong then you

shoz999

Some of you may know that I prefer Pokemon Adventures adaptation of Gen 8 over the anime's take. Honestly considering how early it is, maybe it is some bias but I do have to say this for the anime.

The Gen 8 anime series is the best Pokemon anime series in my opinion and it's only been a few episodes! One thing that the Pokemon anime has constantly put me off is that we often see Ash restart in some way. Even if it's clear this Ash has grown with some experience, we often always see him go back to the basics somehow, common stuff that fans already know either through Ash or through the new companion in town, May, Dawn, Serena etc. This isn't the case for the Gen 8 Anime adaptation. Go is still a noob but you can tell he has the basics down for the most part that it doesn't need exposition for the 8th time. As for Ash? You know how because the anime always has to get Ash back to the basics, you have to wait for the cool stuff to happen hundreds of episodes later? Then we see all the cool stuff happen in a few episodes at the last second before redoing the entire process again? That's freaking annoying and I'm glad that the Gen 8 anime adaptation decided that you, the audience, get to see the cool stuff NOW and I freaking love this decision not to hold back Ash, not just battling but also telling the story of Ash Ketchum's Bizarre Adventures, big and small. It's fantastic, stupendously fantastic! Have you ever seen the badass Mr. Mime fight from Pokemon Adventures? This Gen 8 adaptation did one as well and it is a pretty creative fight that is worth the watch! Also the Dragonite and Ho-Oh episodes. Just awesome, just freaking awesome and the sidestory racing episode with Piplup and Croagunk competing over this glasses girl's affection only for Psyduck to steal the glory! Just fantastic! Just fantastic! Ooh, the Gengar! We have to talk about the Gengar! We've seen Gengar as the big mischievous baddy before but the animation and direction in the anime just makes this Gengar stand out from previous versions, especially that little tease at the end. The Gen 8 Anime series is not only so good but honestly the Gen 8 anime series reminds me more of the Gen 1 anime series own well-told filler with a whimsical sense of child-like wonder then any other series before Gen 8. So overall, this isn't just good, it's just freaking epic.

So now onto Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield. Okay so this is kind of ironic. The Gen 8 anime series is essentially doing what Pokemon Adventures did after Red, shifting away from Gym Challenges lol. You know what Pokemon Adventures is doing for its take on Gen 8? They are going back to Gym Challenges lol. Isn't that ironic lol? The anime is shifting away from Gym Challenges and the manga is shifting towards to Gym Challenges, something not seen since Gen 5. So anyways, whereas the anime gets the cool post-game stuff right now, the Adventures manga is restraining itself in order to take its time to build the characters and the world around it and unlike in previous anime series before Gen 8 where it feels like Ash is restarting his journey from the ground-up, Adventures of course has the advantage of utilizing two brand new characters starting their journey for the first time, making the story feel brand-new. So our characters are essentially Adventures take on Victor and Gloria, Sou and Schilly. Sou is a gentlemanly boy who takes his work seriously while Schilly is an energetic happy go-lucky girl. Schilly in particular is the subject of memes already lol even though it has only been a few chapters and it's no wonder why because she's just so funny lol. Speaking of funny, Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield is just full of humor in the first three chapters I read. We see the manga poking fun at how scary-looking the Ball Guy mascot is, we see Schilly giving the most hilarious, "It was at this moment she realized... she messed up" look in the Pokemon series, we see Prof. Magnolia looking like a badass grandma that stepped out of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventures universe, we see Champion Leon convincing fans that someone at GameFreak must love One Piece's Zoro. Pokemon Adventure SwSh is just chock-full of humor and charm in the beginning and like any good Pokemon Adventures story, it is also foreshadowing something big in the future which is clearly written all over Chairman Rose's silent facial expressions if you played the games.

150px-Marvin_Sobble_Adventures.png

Okay but now some of you are wondering, the way I described Pokemon Adventures SwSh sounds like it's even earlier then the anime's progression. Is that really enough to justify Pokemon Adventures SwSh first three chapters being better than 2019's Pokemon anime's first 12 episodes? Perhaps, perhaps not but on the other hand, the manga showed us how ridiculously cute Sobble can be. How can the anime beat that huh? Pikachu's cuteness? Yamper's cuteness? Mr. Mime's cuteness? How can the anime's own critters compare to the awesomeness of Sobble's onion-chemical-packing tears? I thought Grookey was the most adorable, being a playful monkey and all but once again the Pokemon Adventures manga proves me wrong. It was Sobble the whole time! It was Sobble, ladies and gents!

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Some of you may know that I prefer Pokemon Adventures adaptation of Gen 8 over the anime's take. Honestly considering how early it is, maybe it is some bias but I do have to say this for the anime.

The Gen 8 anime series is the best Pokemon anime series in my opinion and it's only been a few episodes! One thing that the Pokemon anime has constantly put me off is that we often see Ash restart in some way. Even if it's clear this Ash has grown with some experience, we often always see him go back to the basics somehow, common stuff that fans already know either through Ash or through the new companion in town, May, Dawn, Serena etc. This isn't the case for the Gen 8 Anime adaptation. Go is still a noob but you can tell he has the basics down for the most part that it doesn't need exposition for the 8th time. As for Ash? You know how because the anime always has to get Ash back to the basics, you have to wait for the cool stuff to happen hundreds of episodes later? Then we see all the cool stuff happen in a few episodes at the last second before redoing the entire process again? That's freaking annoying and I'm glad that the Gen 8 anime adaptation decided that you, the audience, get to see the cool stuff NOW and I freaking love this decision not to hold back Ash, not just battling but also telling the story of Ash Ketchum's Bizarre Adventures, big and small. It's fantastic, stupendously fantastic! Have you ever seen the badass Mr. Mime fight from Pokemon Adventures? This Gen 8 adaptation did one as well and it is a pretty creative fight that is worth the watch! Also the Dragonite and Ho-Oh episodes. Just awesome, just freaking awesome and the sidestory racing episode with Piplup and Croagunk competing over this glasses girl's affection only for Psyduck to steal the glory! Just fantastic! Just fantastic! Ooh, the Gengar! We have to talk about the Gengar! We've seen Gengar as the big mischievous baddy before but the animation and direction in the anime just makes this Gengar stand out from previous versions, especially that little tease at the end. The Gen 8 Anime series is not only so good but honestly the Gen 8 anime series reminds me more of the Gen 1 anime series own well-told filler with a whimsical sense of child-like wonder then any other series before Gen 8. So overall, this isn't just good, it's just freaking epic.

So now onto Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield. Okay so this is kind of ironic. The Gen 8 anime series is essentially doing what Pokemon Adventures did after Red, shifting away from Gym Challenges lol. You know what Pokemon Adventures is doing for its take on Gen 8? They are going back to Gym Challenges lol. Isn't that ironic lol? The anime is shifting away from Gym Challenges and the manga is shifting towards to Gym Challenges, something not seen since Gen 5. So anyways, whereas the anime gets the cool post-game stuff right now, the Adventures manga is restraining itself in order to take its time to build the characters and the world around it and unlike in previous anime series before Gen 8 where it feels like Ash is restarting his journey from the ground-up, Adventures of course has the advantage of utilizing two brand new characters starting their journey for the first time, making the story feel brand-new. So our characters are essentially Adventures take on Victor and Gloria, Sou and Schilly. Sou is a gentlemanly boy who takes his work seriously while Schilly is an energetic happy go-lucky girl. Schilly in particular is the subject of memes already lol even though it has only been a few chapters and it's no wonder why because she's just so funny lol. Speaking of funny, Pokemon Adventures Sword & Shield is just full of humor in the first three chapters I read. We see the manga poking fun at how scary-looking the Ball Guy mascot is, we see Schilly giving the most hilarious, "It was at this moment she realized... she messed up" look in the Pokemon series, we see Prof. Magnolia looking like a badass grandma that stepped out of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventures universe, we see Champion Leon convincing fans that someone at GameFreak must love One Piece's Zoro. Pokemon Adventure SwSh is just chock-full of humor and charm in the beginning and like any good Pokemon Adventures story, it is also foreshadowing something big in the future which is clearly written all over Chairman Rose's silent facial expressions if you played the games.

150px-Marvin_Sobble_Adventures.png

Okay but now some of you are wondering, the way I described Pokemon Adventures SwSh sounds like it's even earlier then the anime's progression. Is that really enough to justify Pokemon Adventures SwSh first three chapters being better than 2019's Pokemon anime's first 12 episodes? Perhaps, perhaps not but on the other hand, the manga showed us how ridiculously cute Sobble can be. How can the anime beat that huh? Pikachu's cuteness? Yamper's cuteness? Mr. Mime's cuteness? How can the anime's own critters compare to the awesomeness of Sobble's onion-chemical-packing tears? I thought Grookey was the most adorable, being a playful monkey and all but once again the Pokemon Adventures manga proves me wrong. It was Sobble the whole time! It was Sobble, ladies and gents!

While I do like your take for the anime, i myself also love this anime a lot, i disagree that the Pokemon adventures manga first three chapters are better as of now. There really hasn't been anything done yet in the manga and the characters are interesting, but i liked anime Leon much more and yamper and scorbunny are much more cuter than sobble imo. Rn im much more impressed by the anime.

shoz999

While I do like your take for the anime, i myself also love this anime a lot, i disagree that the Pokemon adventures manga first three chapters are better as of now. There really hasn't been anything done yet in the manga and the characters are interesting, but i liked anime Leon much more and yamper and scorbunny are much more cuter than sobble imo. Rn im much more impressed by the anime.
I see and... wait a minute... *reads that you think Yamper and Scorbunny are more cuter than Sobble*...
e2115ca3-aa8c-4bcd-8aa0-dacf3a1e8d74-gif.186075

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:
Sobble is unfortunately rather ugly, especially compared to the likes of Yamper, Scorbunny, SNOM, Falinks, and SHEEP Wooloo

I have to agree that Messon just doesn't look that appealing, although the manga makes it look better than the official artwork from my perspective. That's another thing that I like about the manga: the illustrator manages to make certain Pokemon that are normally unsightly much more pleasant on the eyes.